What's your favorite piece of lore that's often forgotten?

Kinstryfe

Makari died by being sat on by Ghaz. I recall someone did a rather touching story about how Ghaz was upset how the little Grot wouldn't be able to "come back for another go" because he wasn't a proper Ork.

from elsewhere. 

Orks are creatures of war and death. Deprived of it they waste away as other species would deprived a vital part of their diet. It is the slowest and most agonizing death an Ork can face. But that is not to say that Orks do not have a kind side, a decent side. A side that allows them to feel fondness of others.

"Oi, Boss, where ya goin'?" asked Graknob, before a sharp smack to the back of the head from one of his fellow Nobs silenced him. Ghazghkull Thraka, greatest Ork Warlord the Ork race has ever seen, did not even stop in his plodding steps as he walked away from his main tent in the camp. Some of the boyz had objected to moving the Waaagh off course to visit this small, unknown, out of the way planet. 'Itz already been smashed, why we'z goin' here?' some had asked, but never loud enough for the boss to hear. The Nobz waited for their mega-armored warboss to be out of earshot before answering the new member of Ghazghkull's retinue.

"'E's off rememberin'" said one, an old Ork named Griksnak who had served their boss for many many years.

"'E can remember jus' fine round 'ere. What's 'e rememberin'?" asked the curious Nob, uncaring of the death-stares he was receiving from his fellow Nobz.

"Think 'bout it dis way, ya git. Us Orks love ta fight, yeah?"

"Yeah, even a snotling knows dat!"

"But da boss keeps sendin' us 'gainst da 'umies. Dis is cuz 'e hates dem. Now, why'd da boss hate 'umies?"

Graknob remained silent for a few seconds, pondering the question he was asked. "Cuz dey got ugly faces?"

The other Nobz just shook their heads. "'E lost someone ta 'em." Graknob looked around, confused. Everyone knew it didn't matter if an Ork died, he just got belched back into another body. He couldn't understand the feeling of loss.

Ghazghkull had shed most of his mega armor by the time he got to the top of the hill. Being an Ork, the act of removing armor seemed... unusual, to say the least, but it seemed appropriate to approach this site somewhat vulnerable. After all, he was meeting with the one being he knew would never harm him.

"'ey. Uhh... not sure what's I suppose'ta say 'ere. Jus' wanted tah, y'know, say 'ello. See how ya's was. Dose 'umies who got dat lucky shot off on ya? Yeah, dey dead. 'Dere planet is dead. Got lotsa da bastards. 'Ope dat helps out somehow. Wells... I's be goin', den. I... I misses ya, boy." Ghazghkull Mag Thraka turned and began walking down the hill again, leaving the grave he had been speaking to behind. A grave that simply said:

Makari

Banna Wava

Everyone knew Orks were belched back into another body after they died. Not Gretchin though. No Gretchin could ever replace Makari.

I remember a bit of fluff from an old White Dwarf when Ogryns were first introduced. The Imperial guard were attacking a spaceport captured by Eldar but could not break through and someone says somthing like " lets see how those degenerates deal with a dose of mindless violence, send in the Ogryns."

Then there is a discription of after the battle, of a officer talking to an Ogryn who is having loads of shuriken pulled out of him by a medic, and to all intents and purposes should be dead. And all the Ogryn wants to know is if the Emperor is pleased with him.

I was realy struck by the Ogryns capacity for violence and also their childlike mentality of just wanting to please. Made me love Ogryns.

Edit: If anyone knows where I can find the story I would be most greatful.

My copy of that Ogryn story is in the 1989 Warhammer 40K compendium, and has a very complete explanation of how they came about.  Basically, they are the survivors of prisoners exiled to inhospitable prison worlds.  They had to be big enough and tough enough to take on the predators on the planets, be able to digest any type of food they could find, and also be able to go for long times without food.  Their intelligence was modified.  None of them are ever going to be scientists, but at survival they are geniuses.

Ogryns also had a complicated relationship with Ratlings.  They considered sniping the lowest and most worthless form of warfare, but on the other hand, it can pay to keep on good terms with the supply and quartermaster staff, where many Ratlings serve,

Also, in the story Choppyred referenced, the surviving Ogryn was concerned with both how the Emperor saw his actions, and what was going to happen to the ration packs of the dead Ogryns.  Definitely had his priorities straight.:biggrin.: 

[...] Then there is a discription of after the battle, of a officer talking to an Ogryn who is having loads of shuriken pulled out of him by a medic, and to all intents and purposes should be dead. And all the Ogryn wants to know is if the Emperor is pleased with him.

I was realy struck by the Ogryns capacity for violence and also their childlike mentality of just wanting to please. Made me love Ogryns.

Edit: If anyone knows where I can find the story I would be most greatful.

+noosphericinload commenced+

Untitled-1.jpg

+datafeed spool exhausted+

The material about the ogryn's 'childlike faith in the Emperor' is on the same page, in the out-of-universe description. I always liked that background, too. :)

The highest praise to an Ogryn is to tell him that the Emperor is pleased with him [...] Ogryns are particularly impressed by the Commissars of the Imperial Guard, whom they regard as being in constant touche with the Emperor himself. An Ogryn will always show a Commissar the utmost respect, enquiring endlessly about what the Emperor thought of various things the Ogryn has done and even offering the Commissar his own ration in an attempt to to gain favour.

It's RT-era at its finest. On one hand, slightly silly and light-hearted, on the other, darkly satirical – we're told that:

During the wars of the Horus Heresy, Ogryns served to great effect in the Imperial Guard forces of both sides. From the records that are still available, it seems that those who fought for Horus had been told that they were fighting for the Emperor, and that the Loyalists were in fact traitors.

I recall there was some details on the process of being chosen for getting the upgrades to be a Bonehead. Among them were the ability to count to four and being able to speak in short sentences.

Thanks Apologist that was the story I was thinking of, at least the second half of it anyway. I seem to remember both halves being printed in White Dwarf as part of the introduction to Ogryns. I've been searching the interwebs for it for ages. Thanks for finding and sharing and I love your blog.

Edit: I found it, it's from White Dwarf 110 I will link it tomorrow if I can work out how! :yes:

Way back in 1st ed., it was stated that Commissar Cadets had to spend time in the ranks before they could become Commissars.  So you could have entire rifle squads of Commissar Cadets in their black Commissar uniforms.  I can't remember what the advantage was, but they sure looked cool.:biggrin.: 

I liked when Titans were huuuuge.

What is it they say these days about that? That there is a difference between "art scale" and "fluff scale?" 

Speaking of Titans, wasn't it written that two Titans had done something like hold up an arch at the Imperial Throneroom or a gate or the actual ceiling or something? 

As in, during the actual closing times of the siege, said Titans marched up and did they holdy-uppy-thing and have been there ever since?

Speaking of Titans, wasn't it written that two Titans had done something like hold up an arch at the Imperial Throneroom or a gate or the actual ceiling or something? 

As in, during the actual closing times of the siege, said Titans marched up and did they holdy-uppy-thing and have been there ever since?

I remember that too. Not a clue where I'd read it though :(

Yeah and they got upsized as well I think.

But it's less cool now as the pysker prison in Magnus the Red had two Warhounds that were used to physically push the gates open and shut.

One bit of lore that I liked fro Ian Watson's inquisition war was that there were two great pillars at the Emperors palace and the armoured bodies of all the Imperial Fists, Blood Angels and White Scars that died defending the palace were attached to them.

Given all the fluff about armour since this is probably implictly retconned. Part of me thinks I saw pictures of a diorama of this made with 2nd ed marines, but it could just be my imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have the OG white dwarf that covered the Seige? Iirc, and I could be way off, The Khan sallied forth on the top of a Razorback, not a land raider, which is the version I’ve seen floated around a lot lately.

Must’ve been redone because Razorbacks and timelines?

One piece of Lore I always liked was the idea of a 'Missing Link' battle tank between the Land Raider and Rhino Chassis. I think it was revealed in a White Dwarf round about the release of the modern Predator or Rhino.

I would love there to be a new MBT between the two, the Predator is a bit vulnerable and the LR a bit of an odd beast. However, that fluff may nowadays refer to something we now know about, like a Sicaran.

One piece of Lore I always liked was the idea of a 'Missing Link' battle tank between the Land Raider and Rhino Chassis. I think it was revealed in a White Dwarf round about the release of the modern Predator or Rhino.

I would love there to be a new MBT between the two, the Predator is a bit vulnerable and the LR a bit of an odd beast. However, that fluff may nowadays refer to something we now know about, like a Sicaran.

I loved that piece. I think it also said that some Mechanicus adepts have looked at rhino and raider schematics and theorized that they have a sort of mechanical DNA, and had no clue what other tanks could be out there waiting to be discovered. Perfect long simmering plotline for when they need to move a lot of new tank kits someday.

I liked the Realm of Chaos Black Legion material, like how they painted over all their gear and even banners in black paint, how they intended to "remake" the Warmaster and especially finding signs Black Legion marines had boarded Tyranid Hiveships before Imperial forces had, followed up with lore of chaos marines fighting for years trapped inside Hiveships.

Probably not what you’re thinking of, but there was a pair of WD articles way back based on kit-bashing a rhino and a raider together (the Rogue Trader versions, not the modern ones). One model was broadly a rhino hull between raider tracks, called a Spartan; the other was the raider hull and rhino tracks, with a long-barrelled tank hunting gun.

The Spartan was said to have been thrown together during the Heresy as a Terminator transport vehicle.

Yeah I could be remembering things out of order, but I always thought that blurb about the middle ground tank was for the Vehicle Design Rules that came out around midway through 3rd. They really had a phase of pushing kitbashing and creativity for a while.

Archived