What's your favorite piece of lore that's often forgotten?

Kinstryfe

Wasn't that halfway mentioned in First Heretic? At least one of the Automata was more or less "recruited" into the Word Bearers? Iirc it caused some "odd and annoying" quirks to appear in the machine spirit that it's Admech handler noticed. It was enough to allude that the machine had an idea of the honor it was granted

I know the episode you're referring to but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Word Bearers I'm remembering. They had a full colour back cover picture in the WD it was mentioned. They were in a desert camo scheme...

...which reminds me of another thing now forgotten. Marines had camo schemes for different environments.

I know what you mean about Khorne as well. I have a reasonable Khornate force, it was the martial pride aspect that got me interested. 'I'm better than you and I'm going to take your skull to prove it' was the attitude.

That was the Desert Lions Chapter. The implication in the original lore was that they were a later (2nd Founding or later) Chapter, but the Horus Heresy novels appear to have retconned them into being a Chapter within one of the Legions.

I had to go digging through boxes...

Legio cohorts are occasionally attached to campaigning Marine Chapters, such as during Operation Carthage (the Second Pacification of Isstvan V). When the Desert Lions Chapter took the planet's defence forts they were preceeded by a complete Legio Cohort of Robots. The Robots had been programmed to advance in an apparently mindless fashion, and proved easy targets for the defenders. However, the Desert Lions used the opportunity to map out the defenders' fire-plans and blind spots. In the Lions' ensuing assault only seven Marines were lost.

All the surviving Robots were inducted into the Chapter as honorary members as a mark of respect.

The article goes on to show a picture of what looks like a Space Marine surrounded by Robots (not a battle scene) with the following caption on the opposite page:

Legio Cybernetica Tech-Adept Saul Lliamson of the Desert Lions with his maniple, just prior to Operation Carthage.

Lliamson wrote the manoeuvre routines that proved so successful on Isstvan V.

I suppose if he's a Space Marine that he must be a Techmarine. The caption, however, leans much more toward him being of the Adeptus Mechanicus (this was before the imagery of the Adeptus Mechanicus that we know was developed).

Another picture in the article shows Space Marines and Robots in battle together and has the following caption:

Desert Lions echelon left point defense maniple mops up in the closing stages of Operation Carthage. After eliminating the perimeter forts, the Robot cohort provided extra support for the advancing Rhinos. Subsequent resistance to Imperial forces was minimal.

My favorite bit in that whole lore construct was the name "Operation Carthage."

Looking at the retcon, The Horus Heresy - V Tempest lists the Desert Lions as a Chapter within the Ultramarines Legion.

I think Malal is a pretty good piece of "forgotten" lore, especially the bit about him being the reason for Nids.

Wait, is this...a thing? IIRC, Malal's time in the GW canon came and went well before the Tyranids ever coherently appeared in 40K.

I had to go digging through boxes...

Legio cohorts are occasionally attached to campaigning Marine Chapters, such as during Operation Carthage (the Second Pacification of Isstvan V). When the Desert Lions Chapter took the planet's defence forts they were preceeded by a complete Legio Cohort of Robots. The Robots had been programmed to advance in an apparently mindless fashion, and proved easy targets for the defenders. However, the Desert Lions used the opportunity to map out the defenders' fire-plans and blind spots. In the Lions' ensuing assault only seven Marines were lost.

All the surviving Robots were inducted into the Chapter as honorary members as a mark of respect.

The article goes on to show a picture of what looks like a Space Marine surrounded by Robots (not a battle scene) with the following caption on the opposite page:

Legio Cybernetica Tech-Adept Saul Lliamson of the Desert Lions with his maniple, just prior to Operation Carthage.

Lliamson wrote the manoeuvre routines that proved so successful on Isstvan V.

I suppose if he's a Space Marine that he must be a Techmarine. The caption, however, leans much more toward him being of the Adeptus Mechanicus (this was before the imagery of the Adeptus Mechanicus that we know was developed).

Another picture in the article shows Space Marines and Robots in battle together and has the following caption:

Desert Lions echelon left point defense maniple mops up in the closing stages of Operation Carthage. After eliminating the perimeter forts, the Robot cohort provided extra support for the advancing Rhinos. Subsequent resistance to Imperial forces was minimal.

My favorite bit in that whole lore construct was the name "Operation Carthage."

Looking at the retcon, The Horus Heresy - V Tempest lists the Desert Lions as a Chapter within the Ultramarines Legion.

Any chance of pics, for nostalgias sake.

...which reminds me of another thing now forgotten. Marines had camo schemes for different environments.

This.

The original Badab schemes were just awesome. Everybody had camo.

Good times...

The Battle of Vogen was the perfect encapsulation of how 40k felt Before 5th Edition.

Could you elaborate please? I missed 3rd and forth. I stared with second and Necromunda, came back for 5th edition. I liked 5th edition well enough, but I know i missed the glory days of old, would love to hear your thought and musing brother!

Basically there was an uprising on a small agriworld and a guard task force and the 5th company of the Imperial Fists went to put it down. It was very realistic in its portrayal of how uprisings happen and the limited responses the Imperium has.

This.

The original Badab schemes were just awesome. Everybody had camo.

Good times...

Fluff-wise

I always assumed that marines can and do use suitable camo where appropriate. However in many fights they want the enemy to know they're there for the psychological impact.

Tabletop

Yeah sure, you can paint them camo, but unless you always play on the same style tables, why bother. Also it's like buying the away shirt for your sports team,why would you unless you already have the main shirt.

Rik

Does it count to throw out a vote for the old Necron lore?

I can't stand the Newcrons.

They used to have such an ominous, insanely powerful feel to them. Now they are caricatures.

I don't hate the NewCrons, however the last page of the 3rd Ed with the Pariahs, and the driven chain of slave's...is awesome.

One more day on Miral Prime. One more day for Rogal Dorn.

It's a tiny blurb to describe a battle setup in the either the 3rd or 4th edition Space Marine Codex. A force of Imperial Fists, surrounded by Hive Fleet Leviathan, making a desperate last stand on a planet nearly entirely consumed by the Hive Mind.

And yet, through the oratory of their Chaplains, urging "one more day" in the name of the Primarch, the Imperial Fists stand firm and repel wave after wave of Tyranids. Though the Chapter pays a high cost for its defense and arguably should have withdrawn long before the situation deteriorated so far, the Imperial Fists hold out long enough for a relief force to drive the Tyranids from Miral Prime completely. 

It's a perfect encapsulation of the character of the Imperial Fists. They're not shown as perfect warriors as they're clearly overcommitted to a tactically worthless position, but it has that strain of nobility that I like in my Imperial Space Marines. Should they have left? Probably. But they're not leaving and that means they're taking as many of the xenos scum with them as they can, odds be damned.

It's a tiny blurb to describe a battle setup in the either the 3rd or 4th edition Space Marine Codex. A force of Imperial Fists, surrounded by Hive Fleet Leviathan, making a desperate last stand on a planet nearly entirely consumed by the Hive Mind.

And yet, through the oratory of their Chaplains, urging "one more day" in the name of the Primarch, the Imperial Fists stand firm and repel wave after wave of Tyranids. Though the Chapter pays a high cost for its defense and arguably should have withdrawn long before the situation deteriorated so far, the Imperial Fists hold out long enough for a relief force to drive the Tyranids from Miral Prime completely.

It's a perfect encapsulation of the character of the Imperial Fists. They're not shown as perfect warriors as they're clearly overcommitted to a tactically worthless position, but it has that strain of nobility that I like in my Imperial Space Marines. Should they have left? Probably. But they're not leaving and that means they're taking as many of the xenos scum with them as they can, odds be damned.

I think you’ve just sold me on a new project. I really like that

Saa

It's my favorite lore about the Imperial Fists. I believe it's still around, albeit the tyranids were retconned into being slaughtered to the last. Which is... just dime a dozen boring in comparison to the original; the Imperial Fists proved so indomitable the tyranids simply decided the world wasn't worth it.

The tyranids.

Giving up.

I think you’ve just sold me on a new project. I really like that

Saa

It's in the 4th edition codex, if you want to read it for yourself, but it doesn't give you much more info than what Son of Carnelian has (fantastically) written.

I think Malal is a pretty good piece of "forgotten" lore, especially the bit about him being the reason for Nids.

Wait, is this...a thing? IIRC, Malal's time in the GW canon came and went well before the Tyranids ever coherently appeared in 40K.

I guess Proto-nids is the better way to have phrased that, according to Tony Ackland who was working on Malal and his attendant range when GW lost the license, Malal and his deamons were going to have a very insectoid appearance, one of their defining qualities was that they ate everything in their path, including themselves. Some of the early designs have some nid elements that we end up seeing today. Doing a search of Malal on Google actually pulls up a few of t hose original design sketches, and you can see a few prototypical elements.

That The Old World existed in the Warhammer 40k universe.

Oh I had forgotten that. I loved how the Albion campaign gave out new magic items for certain fantasy armies that we're obviously 40k weapons.

The old Slaves to Darkness/Lost and the Damned books already covered it. When my friend started his WFB Khorne army, we rolled on all the random tables for his General. Ended up with a Plasma Pistol, Chainsword, and riding a Juggernaut. He was an outright BEAST in Fantasy... I hated playing that army so much as nothing I had could kill him. I did eventually kill his General when it took a Halfling Hot Pot directly to the face... Was an epic game and finally ended his reign. 

Archived