The Larik Crusade: + INACTIVE +

Dosjetka

Further progress! Here's the rest of the Crusader Squad Cambrio Initiates in their current WIP state:

gallery_45765_11834_89846.png

I'm hoping to finish them today.

Thanks for looking!

--[[+ + + + +]]--

Really well done! I particularly like the grimyness of the shoulder pads :smile.:

Cheers, Brother Talarian!

The pauldrons aren't stark white? You're indeed a promising Neophyte.

Neophyte? I strongly suggest that you review your Templar rank insignia knowledge, old man. ;)

Gerf. That is lovely. Could maybe do with a bit of weathering, perhaps? As it stands he looks a bit clean... but then again I would say that. xD

Sorely tempted to break my oath of quitting 40k to do some BTs now. Hm...

Cheers, mate. :tu:

He is a bit clean but I don't have time to do any weathering before when these are supposed to be ready for. I've got a little under two weeks but in effect I only have about five days during which I can dedicate time to assembling and painting my Templars so I'm forgoing weathering and concentrating on getting all the models done to a decent level.

As for your oath... can't say I'll be surprised if you end up breaking it. :P

Also got some transfers from Veni Vidi Vici.

*snip*

I just ordered some as well, let me know how those worked for you! In general your crusade looks very promising.

Thanks, MvS. :) I tried using some FW ones and have given up on transfers as a quick way to get symbols on a model, for now.

nice. Dont know veni vedi vici until yet

Me neither until very recently. All credit to Brother Adelard!

The test model turned out great. Very neat work. I particularly like the eye lenses.

Cheers, Brother Christopher! The eye lenses were done with a very simple technique: a nice layer of white over the whole lens followed by two washes of Carroburg Crimson.

Won't be finished tonight but there's still been some progress:

gallery_45765_11834_47773.png

Another couple of hours (max) and they'll be done. After these, it's Emperor's Champion, Rhino, and five Cataphractii (not necessarily in that order).

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Nottingham over the weekend for a meet-up with some of the B&C staff. We had a great time and I managed to get four games in over the course of three days. All my games were fought with 500-point armies. My first list was:

Castellan (Lieutenant) w/ Primarch's Wrath and power fist

Initiate Squad w/ eight Initiates (seven chainswords, one power axe) and one Sword Brother (power axe)

Rhino w/ twin storm bolters

Initiate Squad w/ four Initiates (one meltagun, one multi-melta, two boltguns), one Sword Brother (combi-melta and chainsword), and two Neophytes (boltguns)

After a couple of games I made two changes and eneded up with this list:

Marshal (Captain) w/ Crusader's Helm, storm bolter, and power fist

Initiate Squad w/ seven Initiates (six chainswords, one power axe) and one Sword Brother (power axe)

Initiate Squad w/ four Initiates (one meltagun, one multi-melta, two boltguns), one Sword Brother (combi-melta and chainsword), and two Neophytes (boltguns)

The second list was, in my opinion and experience, the superior one. The Crusader's Helm is a subtle but fantastic relic and the Marshal is much more survivable and reliable than a Castellan. Also the re-roll 1's To Hit is, in my mind, better because you get to re-roll with more dice than To Wound dice. No regrets. :tu:

Anyway, we arrived at Warhammer World on Friday afternoon. At this point my Black Templars were still not fully painted so I went straight for the painting stations and set my stuff up the other Mods found a corner with a few tables and got playing!

After about an hour of painting I noticed that other people were playing with not fully painted or even unpainted models and realised that the Warhammer World staff would only make an issue of it if there was an official event going on. I quickly packed up my paints and decided to get a game in against WarriorFish and his Chaos Space Marines with my half-painted Black Tempalrs (boo! hiss!).

2nBxRi.jpg

Battle reports shall be written, posted elsewhere, and linked to here later on this week. In the meantime, WF's account of our 1st battle can be found here.

This was my 5th game of 8th Edition 40k and my first game since the last meet-up we had last year in June. My first casualty was my Castellan whose death gave WarriorFish 3 Victory Points (First Blood, Slay the Warlord, and No Quarter Given which gives 1 VP per destroyed unit). Unsurprisingly I got slaughtered.

bI2h5N.jpg

All that was left of my army before I conceded.

Next day, next game. I challenged Lord Thorn, a filthy Iron Warrior, to a match against my Black Templars and he accepted.

91xOoh.jpg

The traitorous Iron Warriors deployed in the top left corner whereas my righteous Templars deployed mostly in cover to the right.

Armed with my BT Stratagem to deny psychic powers utter hatred for witches and their heretical craft, I made sure I kept the mission objectives in mind.

WZNWb5.jpg

Highlight of the match for me: Lord Thorn rolling double skulls/ones for his psychic test, re-rolling one of the dice with a Command Point, and getting another one!

With the Dice Gods clearly cursing Thorn in critical moments I managed to pull a narrow victory despite suffering heavy losses.

JhfrUj.jpg

Thorn's fantastic Dr Doom-inspired Sorcerer snuffs it, as is only right and proper. Yay Rhino twin storm bolters!

2E85lQ.jpg

State of the battlefield at the end of our 7-turn (!) game: Thorn's Iron Warriors hold their deployment zone objective in the top left corner while one of my Rhinos gets me a Linebreaker VP. In the bottom right corner, a lone Sword Brother killed the last remaining Chaos Terminator and two Initiates hold on for dear life to my deployment zone objective. 5-6 victory for the Black Templars!

We then wandered off into Bugman's for lunch. My Cajun Chicken Sloppy Joe was heavenly (far better than the pizza I had the previous night) and helped my body/mind get the energy it needed for an afternoon of war in the 41st Millennium!

It was at this point that I realised my Castellan with power fist and Primarch's Wrath was pretty useless and decided to remove on Initiate from my "choppy" squad to fit in a Captain Marshal with Crusader's Helm (BT relic boosting aura's by 3" which gave him a 9" re-roll 1's To Hit aura, which is fantastic), storm bolter, and power fist. For only a few points more, the change was massive and I don't regret my choice in the slightest.

This time I challenged battle captain corpus and his Black Legion/Crimson Slaughter to a match. I feared he would use his Abaddon in our 500-point game but fortunately for me he didn't. In hindsight it probably would have been a better choice for him but hindsight tends to be 20/20 ~100% of the time. :wink:

VUra0T.jpg

bcc's combined Chaos force deploy in the top left quarter while my Black Templars deploy in the bottom right one. I'm starting to see a pattern here...

Both Rhinos shoot at the small squad of Cultists but one survives, disappears, and then reappears with nine mates who look suspiciously like the nine that I had killed in my previous turn! I also try to gun down his Helbrute Chaos Dreadnought but the results of my shooting are pitiful and the hulking brute shrugs off all the damage my meltaguns and multi-melta inflicted. In his turn, bcc's Sorcerer creates a small tear in the fabric of reality and brings forth a bunch of Pink Horrors!

MvPqPE.jpg

My Templars commit to all going one way around the central ruin but bcc's CSM in typical cowardly fashion go the other way!

His Chaos Dreadnought, taken by a killing frenzy, manages to shoot all of his weapons twice though unfortunately all this does is kill a lowly Neophyte and one of my Initiates: my melta weaponry is still safe!

In my next turn I manage to destroy his demented machine-beast and move forward with all my units, intent on wiping them out completely.

bINkcC.jpg

Unfortunately, the Sorcerer doesn't really like this plan and sends his Warp-spawned minions to kill my valiant warriors clad in sable armour!

My "shooty" squad survives and manages to wipe out the Daemons, much to everyone's surprise.

n08BCe.jpg

My Marshal decides to challenge the Sorcerer to a duel. Turns out this was a poor idea.

The Sorcerer then proceeds to wipe out the remaining three members of my "shooty" squad...

FdPfYe.jpg

... but gets slain in glorious close combat by my other Initiate Squad! Huzzah!

Our game ends with bcc conceding as it was clear the Emperor's Adeptus Astartes were victorious!

0aZLw8.jpg

Those pesky Cultists were still alive by the end of the game: bcc's army's sole survivors!

Last day, next game. My last opponent was going to be no-one other than Captain Idaho, our resident Ultramarine Moderator!

gVHAjk.jpg

Idaho called my deployment "cowardly" while I thought I was being "sensible".

I ended up disembarking my units and advancing with everything I had, his Sternguard cut down a couple of my Black Templars but the Dice Gods were not kind to his dice and it didn't hinder my advance.

68NIlx.jpg

Blurry pict-capture of the glorious close combat between my Initiates and his Sternguard Veterans. I also managed to charge his Captain and slay him after he failed every single 3+ Invulnerable save he had to make!

My Initiates take heavy losses but manage to exterminate the Sternguard unit before turning their gaze onto the Tactical Squad huddles amongst the trees not far away.

tMVd4j.jpg

My Marshal waltzes over the Tactical Squad and the lone Sword Brother joins him, together almost destroying the unit.

The Dice Gods decided to stop the game at the end of turn 5. This was my third and final victory of the weekend! For Dorn and the Emperor (and the Dice Gods)!

Final tally of the weekend: 3 victories and one loss! Not a bad result for my second lot of 8th Edition games.

I'm very happy that I identified the weakness of the Castellan after my first two games and swapped him out for a Captain. The change was a very welcome one. I was also worried about my choice to arm my Initiate Squad with melta weaponry due to the very short range of it. In my first game, they managed to do nothing but in all games after than one they did a good job and I definitely saw their worth. Last but not least, the inclusion of two Rhinos in my list was, if I may say so myself, a smart one. They weren't game breakers but their presence did not go unnoticed and not a single one of my opponents managed to destroy either of them.

Now, just gotta finish painting these 500 points and then see how I will expand them to 1000 points. For whatever reason, I forsee a large Crusader Squad with a Chaplain in a Land Raider Crusader or on foot but with Apothecary and Company Ancient support! :devil:

Thanks for looking! :tu:

I don't know if it's the lighting/background, but your black armor seems to have a purple hue? Looks awesome.

Do you only do edge highlights or are those light reflections on the helms?

I also really like your lenses... I may steal that idea.

Cheers Talarian! Yes, the black armour does have a purple hue. I used Recoil889's recipe that he shared in his WIP thread. His Marines aren't as purple as mine but I'm happy with the result I got. :tu:

Yep, I only do egde highlights on the armour (helms included). Anything else is the previous steps of drybrushing and washes, and/or the light reflecting off the surface.

"Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition." 

Glad you had so much fun and more victories that losses.

I also recently found out just how awesome (or not depending on if you are targeting or being targeted) meltaguns and multi-meltas can be. 

Missed my name check above, I didn't realise VVV still sold the even smaller size crosses, I missed them on my last peruse.

I originally learnt of them from a guy who was a GW shop manager who subsequently opened up a FLGS in my home town. He also collected Templars and gave me my first VVV sheet way back when.