Cataphractii and Tartaros for Space Wolves

Kasper_Hawser

Hi guys. Just wanted to have a discussion on the two above terminator marks. There's a good chance we'll be getting them if DA and BA codex are anything to go by. Compared to our basic terminators, or perhaps the army as a whole, how would one fit either marks in our army? We all know what normal WG termies can do. Cataphractii and Tartaros maybe not so much. From what I can summarize:

Cataphracti 

The good - 4++ save

The bad - 4" movement and no range punch beyond combi bolters, heavy flamer and grenade harness. Also mostly stuck with power fists.

Tartaros

The good - 6" movement and access to very rare plasma plaster and volkite blaster

The bad - Still limited range punch, but has reaper autocannon as extra.

Base on experience against myself, Cataphractii are SURPRISINGLY resistant even towards multidamage weapons by virtue of superior 4++. With Lightning claws, 10 of them won out against even my own 5 TH/SS terminators and Arjac when i charged first. Bad rolling on my side, but still had surprising weight of attacks.

Tartaros completely no experience.

Your thoughts?

I think if movement is so low on Cataphractii, then there will be the additional cost of a transport to get them into combat too.

Also unless different to 30K rules cataphractii have no sweeping advance, which Tartaros does have

I think if movement is so low on Cataphractii, then there will be the additional cost of a transport to get them into combat too.

Also unless different to 30K rules cataphractii have no sweeping advance, which Tartaros does have

Well there is no more sweeping advance in 8th, so that weakness has been taken out of our normal termies and cataphractii.

Besides, I think most of us have the tendency of deepstriking termies anyway.

I'm not sure how much more expensive a cataphractii or tartaros is compared to a barebones termie with storm bolter and power weapon. Perhaps someone can comment on it.

Cataphractii seem the best choice if one is making an all-rounder list.

4++ is HUGE, in my mind, because, if one reads the HQ entries in the new C:BA and C:DA books, a Cataphractii with an Iron Halo gets a 3++ instead. As this frees up the need for a Storm Shield, I think if one is so inclined to go with a unit of C-TDA, or, Cataphractii Tactical Dreadnought Armor, then, a nearby HQ choice in C-TDA literally does not need a SS.

So, for the points involved, yes, C-TDA are slow; however, if one Deepstrikes, or, delivers, with a Stormwolf, Land Raider Crusader, or Spartan, that 4" move deficiency is not as bad as it once was. Still, the SW bits that might come out to make custom SW C-TDA models should prove quite fun, assuming they are more viking than wolfy, as they should be.

Anyway, I hope this helps. My Chapter Approved 2017 is not nearby, so I am unsure of the points totals involved.

GAARGGHH! Not those ridiculous looking Varagyr again! My eyes!

@ Karrak - I guess my only problem with cataphractii is their lack of ranged punch after deepstriking. Less of a problem now that we can strike first as long as we finish the charge, but will still need some Wulfen or Ragnar to make sure the charge succeeds.

That and also the lack of wolfy bitz apart from the atrocious Varagyr models.

It's not hard to convert stock cataphractii to be more Space Wolves. There are dozens of hobbyists who have been converting cataphractii for awhile to draw inspiration from. Same goes for tartaros.

I know it's not likely to happen, but it'd be awesome if our codex would let us take cataphractii or tartaros TDAWGPLs for GH, BC, and LF units in addition to regular TDA (which would have more options compared to the other two).

The downsides to cataphractii are mostly irrelevent in 8th IMO, you will be deep striking them and trying to get that charge off. I was running twin claws, but then I switched to claw/bolter and found their damage output was higher against a better range of targets.

When they do go on sale, I will be kit-bashing the crap out of them, mixing tem with Justaerin and deathguard kits etc to get a nice mix.

Will hopefully get them more Viking :smile.:

Sweet!

I will need to look at the special options of Cataphractii to see what I would kitbash together, thanks for the idea! I should have thought of it on my own!

It's not hard to convert stock cataphractii to be more Space Wolves. There are dozens of hobbyists who have been converting cataphractii for awhile to draw inspiration from. Same goes for tartaros.

I know it's not likely to happen, but it'd be awesome if our codex would let us take cataphractii or tartaros TDAWGPLs for GH, BC, and LF units in addition to regular TDA (which would have more options compared to the other two).

Hmmm very interesting idea if that happens. Cataphractii or Tartaros Pack leaders.

I guess for the stock cataphractii, I guess 'm no longer averse to those leather ribbons hanging from the shoulders and over the crotch. With space wolves colors and decals, should be wolfy enough.

claw and twin bolter sounds like a good mix.