New 30k player, first 1k list, space wolves

Halfpint100

So 30k may have tempted me to start playing it soon, but i want to get a 1k "to buy" list sorted out since it is pricey and I want each unit to have a use. I have this so far:

HQ

Praetor, iron halo, paragon blade, digital lasers 165

Legion command squad, 2 extra, 5 power weapons 155

Troops

Grey slayers, 2 combi (unsure about the weapon, thinking plasma), 8 bolters, fist 161

Same as above 161

3 Rhinos with multi meltas 150

Heavy support 

Sicaran battle tank, lascannons 205

comes to 997, I think it gives me a nice mix for 1k, since wolves get close combat bonuses, i thought it makes sense to get close and personal.

For the rite of war, i was going to go for the rite of blooded claws, gives the slayers furious charge, +1 combat resolution in opponents deployment and once per game can re-roll all runs and charges. can't take artillery, immobile or slow and purposeful units though

Feedback is appreciated, I already have the 3 rhinos from 40k, other then that, i own none of it so am very happy to change things around. 

Looks like a solid little list. You could run either Bloodied Claw or Pale Hunters RoW's easily.

Sicarans are never a bad investment in my experience, they've always performed well (and make for a great anti-air threat in a pinch). Everything else looks great as well for starting out. Eventually you'll be able to play around with different load-out options for the Grey Slayers and find what works best for you.

I think it would be a great start!

at 1k with a combat army it's tough as combat units need assault vehicles otherwise they just get shot up or get charged themselves - thus losing a lot of bonuses.

Trouble being, assault vehicles such as land raiders, Spartans, storm eagles etc.. are points heavy and generally start fitting in at 1.5kish.

What I would do, is either foot slog blobs of dudes (which is ok at this level as you are unlikely to see large templates), or, my preferred way is to get an anvilus...

Take a killy unit and preator and chuck them in there for a 1st turn dropping combat threat

at 1k with a combat army it's tough as combat units need assault vehicles otherwise they just get shot up or get charged themselves - thus losing a lot of bonuses.

Trouble being, assault vehicles such as land raiders, Spartans, storm eagles etc.. are points heavy and generally start fitting in at 1.5kish.

What I would do, is either foot slog blobs of dudes (which is ok at this level as you are unlikely to see large templates), or, my preferred way is to get an anvilus...

Take a killy unit and preator and chuck them in there for a 1st turn dropping combat threat

That drop pod looks really good, can you assault out of it turn 1? I know it is an assault vehicle, but i thought there was a rule against assaulting out of a deepstriking transport, or was that a past rule? 

Looks like a great start. I agree adding in a ROW will help no end. I favour pale hunters but given the smaller point game I think you’ll find bloodied claw much more efficient. Don’t worry about not being able to assault right out of the rhino. Plan a head and it’s not an issue. With being able to act normally in the shooting phase and still charge with the slayers if the tim box goes boom you can still try and get the charge off.

Stray