Ready to paint for the first time

Rockythedog

Brothers

I have built and primed 4 intercessors, I’ll be starting to paint them tonight. Each will be in a slightly different colour scheme so I can try and pick out my favourite to use company wide.

1 will be a base of mechanicus standard grey with a layer of dawn stone

Next will be mech standard grey with a layer of Russ grey

Third will be a base of FenrisIan grey under a layer of Russ grey

Lastly I’ll try a base of fenrisian under a layer of dawn stone

This will be my first painting as I said, any pitfalls I want to avoid? Has anyone tried the two mixup schemes I’m going to try? Crossing over the HH scheme with current seems like a potentially good idea or am I going to be wasting paint?

Might want to check out this thread http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/340985-digital-wolf-stepping-through-the-warp-onto-the-tt/ from another person who recently got into the tabletop. 

The big thing for new painters is thin your paint. Not so thin that it runs when you apply it but a few thin layers is much better then 1 thick one.

Based on my journey with the same concerns i would say dont make your final decision until you apply a wash as well.

I was blown away at how different it looked after a wash agrax earthshade or nuln oil.

Also...if you are undecided between colors consider logistics as well. Some colors have spray can equivalents so you can basically spray your entire base color on instead of painting every model.

Hey Rocky, glad to have you in the Fang!

I found this from last year when we took part in the ETL. Was a quick tips and how to start painting guide

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/322393-etl-v-tips-master-thread/?p=4394306

Hope this helps.

So I got one of these 6 pack of 3ml pot paint sets (the SW one obviously). Opened it up and none of the pots have which paint they are on them.

From the side of the box it should be 

The Fang - Russ Grey 

Fenresian Grey - Runefang Steel

Verminlord Hide - Nuln Oil

You can also double check it by looking at the paints on the GW store.

Nuln oil is the was, looks like black water

Fenrisian grey is the very light blue grey

Runefang steel is your bright silver

Vermin Lord is your brown

The Fang is the darker blue grey and is your base paint

Russ grey is between the Fang and Fenris grey

I am sure you can get Fang in a spray can , or a matched colour from Army Painter

All yo really need to add to that now is gold, yellow, black and red, then you are sorted for about 90% of your painting :)

No worries, glad to help. Just substitute the agrax for nuln oil.

Agrax is a very dark brown wash and is really good for a more natural "dirty" colour than nuln oil.

The nuln will be better for the metals to dull them down.

Oh, if you are gonna use a normal lamp, then I would invest in a daylight bulb, to get a better more natural light to paint by.

I also find this really useful and have one similar on my model desk at home

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fluorescent-Daylight-Flexible-Magnifying-Position/dp/B000B8JNWM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1514717970&sr=8-7&keywords=magnifier+lamps

The magnifier is great for when you want to do fiddly stuff and the lamp is really good for a light source, plus you can move it around to suit you.

Are they still open on hogmanay? Hope it came with a bulb ;)

I find the magnifier ace when I am painting small details and when putting things together. You find it a bit odd to start with because your dept of vision feels strange but you get used to it really fast.

Do not forget to update us with pictures