R_F_D
Go to solution Solved by R_F_D,

• Solution

Hello all!

So with the knowledge I would be getting my grubby little mits on a copy of the Warmaster for Christmas I decided to embark on a read through of the whole Sabbat World Crusade, I am currently ploughing through Honour Guard.  With the exception of a couple of stories from the Sabbat Worlds and Sabbat Crusade collections I have managed to piece together a chronological reading order (using Dan's forewords to the LE versions of books 1-3 and stories in both collections as well as the Sabbat World Crusade background book).  Thought it might be useful for people who may want to do something similar, although it would be great to put the missing shorts in to the order as well - I don't think there is anything like this on here?  If there are any inaccuracies please let me know and I'll amend the order.  

@DukeLeto69 I think you've done something similar over at the Bolthole but not sure if it was in one collated post.

One last thing, as above I haven't read Warmaster yet so for the love of all that you hold fething dearly; no spoilers please!

1. The Fissure - 251.M41 (Sabbat Crusade)
  2. A Ghost Return - 755.M41 (SC)
  3. The Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings - 757.M41 (SW)
  4. The Inheritor King - 757.M41 (SC)
  5. Regicide – 765.M41 (Sabbat World)
  6. First and Only - 767.M41
  7. Ghostmaker - 768.M41
  8. Of Their Lives in the Ruins of Their Cities - 768.M41 (Sabbat World) [set on Voltemand, immediately after chapter 2 of Ghostmaker]
  9. Necropolis - 769.M41
  10. In Remembrance – 769.M41 (included in Necropolis LE)
  11. A Good Man – 769.M41 (SW)
  12. Honour Guard – 770-771.M41
  13. The Guns of Tanith – 772.M41
  14. Straight Silver – 772.M41
  15. Double Eagle – 773.M41
  16. Apostle’s Creed – 773.M41 (SW)
  17. Sabbat Martyr – 773.M41
  18. Traitor General – 774.M41
  19. Blueblood – 774.M41 (SW)
  20. Tempest – 775.M41 (SC)
  21. His Last Command – 776.M41
  22. Armour of Contempt – 777.M41
  23. Son of Sek – 777.M41 (SC)
  24. Only in Death – 778.M41
  25. The Iron Star – 778.M41 (SW)
  26. Titanicus – 779.M41
  27. Blood Pact – 780.M41
  28. Salvations Reach – 781.M41
  29. Family – 782.M41 (SC)
  30. Viduity  – 782.M41 (SC)
  31. You Never Know – 782.M41 (SC)
  32. Ghosts and Bad Shadows – 782.M41 (SC)
  33. Forgotten – 782.M41 [don't think this has been published anywhere else other than the BL website]
  34. Killbox - 782.M41 [bL website & Warmaster LE]
  35. The Blood Bound – 782.M41 (SC)
  36. The Deeper Wounds – 782.M41 (SC)
  37. Arnogaur – 782.M41 (SC)
  38. Warmaster
  39. Urdesh – forthcoming Space Marine battles book (or equivalent) by Matthew Farrer
  40. Anarch - being written now!

That leaves one story left to place by my reckoning:

• Cell by Nik Vincent in Sabbat Crusade – set on a world similar to Geron and features similar concepts as those in Traitor General.

If there are any that I missed, please let me know.

Cheers,

RFD

**Edit** updated list to include Killbox and place the Matt Farrer stories in order,.

***Edit*** switched Family and Viduity round to be accurate narratively speaking.

Edited by R_F_D

Hello all!

So with the knowledge I would be getting my grubby little mits on a copy of the Warmaster for Christmas I decided to embark on a read through of the whole Sabbat World Crusade, I am currently ploughing through Honour Guard.  With the exception of a couple of stories from the Sabbat Worlds and Sabbat Crusade collections I have managed to piece together a chronological reading order (using Dan's forewords to the LE versions of books 1-3 and stories in both collections as well as the Sabbat World Crusade background book).  Thought it might be useful for people who may want to do something similar, although it would be great to put the missing shorts in to the order as well - I don't think there is anything like this on here?  If there are any inaccuracies please let me know and I'll amend the order.  

@DukeLeto69 I think you've done something similar over at the Bolthole but not sure if it was in one collated post.

One last thing, as above I haven't read Warmaster yet so for the love of all that you hold fething dearly; no spoilers please!

1. The Fissure - 251.M41 (Sabbat Crusade)
  2. A Ghost Return - 755.M41 (SC)
  3. Regicide – 765.M41 (Sabbat World)
  4. First and Only - 767.M41
  5. Ghostmaker - 768.M41
  6. Of Their Lives in the Ruins of Their Cities - 768.M41 (Sabbat World) [set on Voltemand, immediately after chapter 2 of Ghostmaker]
  7. Necropolis - 769.M41
  8. In Remembrance – 769.M41 (included in Necropolis LE)
  9. A Good Man – 769.M41 (SW)
  10. Honour Guard – 770-771.M41
  11. The Guns of Tanith – 772.M41
  12. Straight Silver – 772.M41
  13. Double Eagle – 773.M41
  14. Apostle’s Creed – 773.M41 (SW)
  15. Sabbat Martyr – 773.M41
  16. Traitor General – 774.M41
  17. Blueblood – 774.M41 (SW)
  18. Tempest – 775.M41 (SC)
  19. His Last Command – 776.M41
  20. Armour of Contempt – 777.M41
  21. Son of Sek – 777.M41 (SC)
  22. Only in Death – 778.M41
  23. The Iron Star – 778.M41 (SW)
  24. Titanicus – 779.M41
  25. Blood Pact – 780.M41
  26. The Blood Bound – 782.M41 (SC)
  27. Salvations Reach – 782.M41
  28. Viduity – 782.M41 (SC)
  29. Family – 782.M41 (SC)
  30. You Never Know – 782.M41 (SC)
  31. Ghosts and Bad Shadows – 782.M41 (SC)
  32. Forgotten – 782.M41 [don't think this has been published anywhere else other than the BL website]
  33. The Deeper Wounds – 782.M41 (SC)
  34. Arnogaur – 782.M41 (SC)
  35. Warmaster
  36. Urdesh – forthcoming Space Marine battles book (or equivalent) by Matthew Farrer
  37. Anarch - being written now!

That leaves three stories by my reckoning:

• Cell by Nik Vincent in Sabbat Crusade – set on a world similar to Geron and features similar concepts as those in Traitor General.
  • The Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings (SW) & The Inheritor King (SC) by Matthew Farrer – these deal with the machines created by Heritor Asphodel so I am assuming they are after Necropolois.

If there are any that I missed, please let me know.

Cheers,

RFD

The only thing I would change is Ghostmaker, which for 'correct' chronology you need to split up. It's really 765 to 767/8 - it's up to you where you put First and Only within it, but perhaps just before Voltemand? 

Also I thought Salvation's Reach is 781. I had the main books as:

755 - Opening of the crusade

765 – Balhaut 

765 – Ghostmaker, early 

765/6 – First and Only 

767 – Ghostmaker/Monthax chapters 

769  Necropolis 

770 – Honour Guard 

771, late – Guns of Tanith  

772 – Straight Silver 

773 – Double EagleSabbat Martyr 

774 – Traitor General 

776 – His Last Command 

777 – The Armour of Contempt  

778 – Only in Death 

780 – Blood Pact 

781 – Salvation’s Reach 

[REDACTED] – The Warmaster  

@Petitioner's City thanks!  Corrected Salvation's Reach, was going on the Sabbat Crusade shorts as opposed to the novel.

With regards to First & Only and Ghostmaker, I did toy with the idea of trying to break them up into their relevant appropriate sections but I thought it would be too much of a hassle. The only exception to that would be "Of Their Lives in the Ruins of Their Cities" which is described as a novella in the Ghostmaker LE.  Given it is about Gaunt struggling as the new  commander of the Ghosts I think it makes sense to read it as an additional chapter to Ghostmaker as by the end; he isn't struggling any more.

What about Killbox, short story released recently?

Good point, well made!  It's set after Salvations Reach on the ship?  I've yet to read it as it's in my copy of Warmaster.

It's set three weeks after Salvation's Reach, which would make it go under entry 32 perhaps?

Great list!

I think the Headstone and Hammerstone Kings could potentially be earlier than Necropolis. I think it was set on a world mentioned in the Sabbat Worlds campaign book which was an early warzone between the Heritor's woemachines and the crusade. I don't have access to either right now, alas, but it might be worth checking for hints.

Great list!

I think the Headstone and Hammerstone Kings could potentially be earlier than Necropolis. I think it was set on a world mentioned in the Sabbat Worlds campaign book which was an early warzone between the Heritor's woemachines and the crusade. I don't have access to either right now, alas, but it might be worth checking for hints.

Ashek. Haven’t got the campaign book here, so can’t correlate with that. From a cursory skim-read, this seems to be set in the early (but probably immediate) aftermath of the Imperial re-conquest. Was Asphodel killed in Necropolis ? If so, then I suspect Headstone pre-dates it.

@Ogun@Plasmablasts you're both right, the world is Ashek II.

Ashek II is before Balhaut, in the section "The Bloody Path to Balhaut, 756-764".  Aspghodel was killed in Necropolois although we don;t see his death, all we know is that the Imperial Fists burn his corpse.

Ashek II (756-757) suggests that there was high level Adeptus Mechanicus involvement as it was intimated by Slaydo that Heritor Asphodel, may the Emperor damn his name, had links with the Adeptus Mechanicus.  So it could be that the Adeptus Mechanicus recovered a lot more tech due to their involvement.  However, given how large Balhuat was it is inconceivable to me that they wouldn't have had a similarly large presence there.  I think this calls for a proper read through, will finish Guns of Tanith and then read them.  I may also fire off a tweet to Matt Farrer.

Edited by R_F_D

So Night of a Thousand Rebellions is listed as being 992999.M41 on the 40K Lexicanum so that's a good 200+ years from the current point of the books?  Unless you're referring to something which happened in Warmaster?  If so, I've just reread Guns of Tanith and following Matt's tweet I've gone back and am now reading The Inheritor King so now spoilers please!!!!!

• 5 years later...

I've broken down the chronological order of First and Only and Ghostmaker for those that are interested. I think this is right but as far as I know Dan has never been definitive about it so there may be some errors. 

The Fissure - 251.M41 

Manzipor (First and Only) – 735.M41

Ignatatius Cardinal (First and Only) – 736.M41

Darendara Part 1 (First and Only) – 747.M41

Darendara Part 2 (First and Only) – 747.M41

Gylastus Decimus (First and Only) – 749.M41

Khedd 1173 (First and Only) – 751.M41

Ghost Return – 755.M41 

The Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings - 757.M41

The Inheritor King – 757.M41

Epilogue (Blood Pact) – 765.M41

Regicide - 765.M41 

Ghostmaker (Ghostmaker) - 765.M41 (Blackshard)                                                                                    

A Blooding (Ghostmaker) - 765.M41 (Voltemand)

Of Their Lives in the Ruins of Their Cities – 765.M41 (Voltemand)

The Vincula Insurgency – 765.M41 (Voltemand)                                                  

The Hollows of Hell (Ghostmaker) (Caligula)

That Hideous Strength (Ghostmaker) (Caligula)

Sound and Fury (Ghostmaker) (Ramillies)

The Angel of Bucephalon (Ghostmaker) (Bucephalon)

Permafrost (Ghostmaker) – 766.M41 (Typhon Eight)

Blood Oath (Ghostmaker) (Nacedon)

Nubila Reach (First and Only)

Fortis Binary Forge World (First and Only) (Fortis Binary)

Cracia City, Pyrites (First and Only) (Pyrites)

The Empyrean (First and Only)

Menazoid Epsilon (First and Only) - 766.M41 (Menazoid Epsilon)

A Simple Plan (Ghostmaker) - 768.M41  (Sapiencia)

Witch Hunt (Ghostmaker)

Some Dark & Secret Purpose (Ghostmaker) (Monthax)

Necropolis (Verghast)

Edited by animal310
Removing unnecessary dates

7 hours ago, animal310 said:

I've broken down the chronological order of First and Only and Ghostmaker for those that are interested. I think this is right but as far as I know Dan has never been definitive about it so there may be some errors. 

The Fissure - 251.M41 

Ghost Return – 755.M41 - 25/05/2021

Regicide - 765.M41 – 03/08/2021

The Vincula Insurgency – 765.M41 – 07/08/2021 (Voltemand)                                                  

Witch Hunt (Ghostmaker)

Necropolis (Verghast)

Is Anarch still the most recent chronological SWC book?

16 hours ago, Moonreaper666 said:

No, there is the anthology Sabbat War, all the stores within it are set after. I believe all of them are, however I have it but have not yet read it. There are two short stories from Dan within it. These are definitely set after Anarch.  The main list does need a bit of updating towards the end. I'll have a look when I get a chance. 

5 hours ago, Moonreaper666 said:

Would it be ironic if the SWC story ends in a 41st/42nd Millenium Epilogue in which the Alpha Legion's Night of a Thousand Rebellions retakes all those Sabbat worlds in just one night? One of the AL Operatives is Gaunt's descendant?

Moonreaper, I’ve long been uncertain as to whether you’re trolling or just expressing opinions that aren’t grounded in fact. I think it’s pretty clear at this point, with this response if not all the other ones, you’re trolling. This is just too obvious. 

Edited by cheywood

13 hours ago, cheywood said:

Moonreaper, I’ve long been uncertain as to whether you’re trolling or just expressing opinions that aren’t grounded in fact. I think it’s pretty clear at this point, with this response if not all the other ones, you’re trolling. This is just too obvious. 

You don't know about the Night of a Thousand Rebellions? The fact it takes place in Segmentum West?

It would make the Alpha Legion be seen as a massive threat and show the true decline of the Imperium with all the sacrifice and progress Macharius and Gaunt did becoming nothing

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 8:46 PM, animal310 said:

The Fissure - 251.M41 

Ghost Return – 755.M41 

Regicide - 765.M41 

The Vincula Insurgency – 765.M41 (Voltemand)                                                  

Witch Hunt (Ghostmaker)

Necropolis (Verghast)

Based on Abnett's descriptions, short stories "Deep" and "Nineteen-Three Coreward, Resolved" from Sabbat War anthology, take place early in the crusade, but exact placement won't be easy.

Edited by Mirak

On 1/17/2023 at 3:53 AM, Moonreaper666 said:

On 1/17/2023 at 8:56 PM, animal310 said:

No, there is the anthology Sabbat War, all the stores within it are set after. I believe all of them are, however I have it but have not yet read it. There are two short stories from Dan within it. These are definitely set after Anarch.  The main list does need a bit of updating towards the end. I'll have a look when I get a chance. 

I haven't read those short stories yet, but the post Anarch stories should probably go like this:

Anarch                                                                           792.M41

"Indomitable Spirit"                                                 771-792.M41 (the final part takes place on Urdesh probably during Anarch)

"This is What Victory Feels Like (Forever the Same)"        792.M41 (Ghosts - picks up immediately after Anarch)

"From There to Here"                                                         ?          (Ghosts)

"Whose Voice is Heard no More"                                        ?          (maybe could / should be flipped with "From There to Here" ?)

"The Death of the Prophet"                                             794.M41

Btw. I made my own chronological master list that should be up to date, if someone's interested.