Converting a Macrocarid

Magos_Adephus

Been thinking of how to do a conversion for a Macrocarid for a while, especially with FoC coming out next year. The FW model is amazing, but it doesn't really appeal to my tastes. The other part is I want to mount small Bluetooth speaker on it so I may play binahric choruses and soothing hymns during battle (also this: https://youtu.be/wy-sVTaZRPk ). I'll have to turn this thread into a WIP when I start.

I'm torn between the Goliath Rockgrinder/Truck and the good ol' Land Raider for the chassis. The Goliath is what I first envisioned for the project, but it seems fairly undersized, both to proxy and for fitting a speaker into/onto. The Land Raider of course has far more room inside to hide the speaker's parts, and is much larger for proxying. Plus, many Great Crusade era Macrocarids were little more than refurbished and repurposed Land Raider's, so fluff-wise it'd make sense, whoever owned this particular one simple didn't wander far from the original design.

Does anyone know how the Goliath and Land Raider compare size-wise? Also if anyone has seen/heard of this being done this before or is knowledgeable on adding electronic parts to models, any advice or ideas are welcome.

I can't answer directly, but I've seen stripped down/under gunned Bane blade variants that might work too, e.g. The Banelord (?) - ones with transport capacity. Leaving off the bigger guns might make for a relatively massive and armoured, but not too combat-militarised looking vehicle.

Without a Goliath on hand, I can't directly compare the two. From what I remember, the goliath is slightly smaller than a chimera, and in no way comes close to a LandRaider. With the origin of the Macrocarid's rules as "Mechanicum LandRaider" in the first Heresy black books, I guess taking a LR or similar sized model is necessary.

Adding speakers shouldn't be too hard, with small, cheap bluetooth speakers all over the marked. A friend built two in his Armies on Parade board simply by magnetizing shut the Sector Mechanicus tanks. Open them, put the (unmodified) speaker inside, snap back together. The LandRaider has quite a bit of space to use, and a lazy friend proved that leaving out the floor plate won't be noticed by anyone. Once you have a fitting speaker, I guess a speaker holder can be built from spare sprues.

I've seen stripped down/under gunned Bane blade variants that might work too

I'd considered crossing a Banehammer and Stormlord with a couple altercations, but after doing some size comparisons it's just too big (sadly. I don't own a Baneblade currently but I've wanted one for ages). Also LR is cheaper, so more money to splurge on extra, AdMech-y bits and speakers. Knowing me, my brain will probably convince myself that Rule of Cool is more important than proper planning, budgeting, and WYSIWYG

a lazy friend proved that leaving out the floor plate won't be noticed by anyone.

=D Sounds like something I'd do. Was this the Armies on Parade friend and did he win, I gotta know

a lazy friend proved that leaving out the floor plate won't be noticed by anyone.

=D Sounds like something I'd do. Was this the Armies on Parade friend and did he win, I gotta know

Nope, the lazy guy just left out every floor plate ever (for lazyness-related reasons). The AoP guy magnetized the storage tanks to insert speakers and give his board some advantage. Won Best Terrain, with a huge Sector Mechanicus construct.

Seconded for Imgur - its easy to use and very simple in its offering, so also works in a nice polished way.

All my sig-linked images are Imgur hosted.

----

Are Forgeworld still doing their massive "Icon Mechanicus" thing? Grafting that onto a Land Raider might get things closer to a Macrocarid?

Alternatively, reversing the orientation of the Land Raider to have the tiny Icon Mechanicus on the engine housing facing "forwards" might work easily. Shifting the lights and things around might be difficult, but the big/pintel guns themselves are easy enough to do (only the now rear-facing heavy bolter/assault cannons would be an issue!).

For some reason wont let me post images, but if you google 'macrocarid land raider' there are a couple photos of the models side by side.

The macrocarid is slightly smaller than the LR, but definately bigger than a rhino/chimera/goliath etc. Land raider would be the best place to start for a conversion IMO.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Had a quick think today at work, if one were to use a Baneblade chassis, would it really be too big? From the pics I've seen the Baneblade is roughly an inch longer than a Land Raider and about 1/2 an inch wider. Without the main turret they look about the same height as well. Keeping in mind, the Macrocarid model is almost the exact same size as a LR.

Maybe I just want a Baneblade/Banehammer, but I just love the idea of the open deck in the rear. A thought I had was adding a shielded rollcage over the deck, similar to the Knight Lancer's shield.

Https://imgur.com/gallery/qkDoQ

Sorry for the delay. I'm also it sure how to embed images. I can probably do a baneblade pic, be quicker now I have an imgur account!

One of the baneblade variants has an open rear.deck but they are big tanks! I've always wanted to convert one to have the massive imperial eagle cannon from the scenery piece on it.

Edited by Red_Shift

Thx Red.  Also, fan-friggin-tastic conversion with the Mega Bolter.

I think I've settled on what I'll doing.  Gonna make a Land Raider Ares, minus the Heavy Flamers, just gonna keep the Lascannons.  Convert the Demolisher cannon to a Graviton Imploder (somehow), and either patch up Heavy Bolter mount or put a targeting array/servitor in there for the Imploder.  The extra bits from the Vindicator set I'll just use to trick it out, probably use on a future conversion.  So yep, its a plan!

With recent revelations about when FoC will come out I'm gonna wait till it drops to start the project, or if some stuff gets leaked, whichever comes first.