The Enyara 144th 2nd Company

Mileposter

Forge World Enyara, Marilith Zone, Veiled Region, Segmentum Pacificus. A world where service in the Astra Militarum is a matter of honor. Their caste society demands it, their leaders praise it, and the Emperor expects it. For the Enyarans, service is life.

On this day, in His holy name, the 144th Troop Infantry Regiment of the esteemed Enyaran Imperial Guard is formed.

Welcome, new recruits!

Recruits.jpg

Finally getting my Guard started with what I received from the holiday. Didn't manage to get their pins drilled in yet, though the bases are started. I expect I'll have their pins in tonight and a good chunk of painting done over the weekend. Then it's onto the box of Tempestus I received!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing more! :biggrin.:

Word of advice with the Scions. Dont glue their arms until after painting or you'll be cursing the whole time.

I haven't even pulled them out of the box yet until I finish with the Troop squad here... Scions got a lot of detail on the chestplates like Marines, then?

Trooper.png

Got the color scheme all worked out and the first squad painted over the weekend. Unfortunately, the weekend looks to be the only stable time for painting for the foreseeable future, so I'll be making it count. Still to do are the transfers - for some reason I'm not too keen on putting those on until they're on their bases. Weird, maybe, but it works for me.

Next up, getting sand on the bases for elevation smoothing and putting texture paint in the crevices.

Good choice of colours, they work very nicely together and will pop even more in number :thumbsup: I save the detailed stuff for when I have proper time for painting, otherwise grunt work like base coats and washes can be sneaked in during evenings when you have a little spare time. Maximising your time and efficiency really helps productivity, or if you're time poor keep you plodding along rather than stalling :smile.:

I know it's me, but I really can't get into the 'hour a day' painting. Painting for me is a zen process. Like therapy or sleeping - I'm only just starting to get into after about 30 minutes, so to stop again so quickly makes it feel like I didn't get any quality time in at all.

Or worse, I get into the groove, paint for four hours, and realize I only have four hours left I can sleep before work. >.>;

But that only applies to the painting aspect. The other parts of the craft, like pinning the feet, priming, building the bases, constructing the models, etc. - those I'll all be able to poke at a bit most days.

I can understand that
I got back into the hobby initially just to build, paint and de-stress

An hour a night is definitely not the best way to de-stress

Like you say, I try and get the more labourious and less interesting work done during those times so I can enjoy painting on the weekend

Another good one for the hour a day is getting basing done

If you have an airbrush I find the hour a day is pretty great for laying down basecoats and shading. I have my desk in my conservatory so I can get as much light as possible, but the Scottish winter is not cooperative. So I do something that’s easy to do with my anglepoise lamp.

It's been a very slow week. Got another pair of Guardsmen completed though - bringing the total to five. I'll post a group shot when I get home. I feel like I'm being slow with these guys, given I haven't put as much detail into them as I could have with other models: Takes me about an hour per guardsman. That's not horribad, is it?

I did get one of the bases completely done as a test as well. I was completely and totally unsatisfied with it. The cork, sand, and texture paint combo worked beautifully and wonderful. When it came time to add the extra bits like the flocking, all the happy detail was obscured into mediocrity. It didn't look bad, but I could have gotten the same effect with a third of the time by just sculpting some elevation and calling it good. Really want these bases to show off some detail, so I scrapped that.

I really liked the way the cork/sand/texture paint elevation shift came out, so I'm gonna keep that and change the feel to more of a swampy look. Maybe do a 1:1 mix of pva and Nurgle's Rot to give that swampy feel in the lower depressions of the base. The bracken pack I bought will still have use, I'll just change the colors a little to reflect a more swampy kind of foliage rather than uppity grassland.

Added more recruits to the squad. First squad now sits at about 80%!

More_Recruits.jpg

I also started redoing the bases with the sand and texture paint. Decided to get a lot more bulbous with the texture paint rather than smoothing it out - with some color blending I'm hoping this will add to the swampy look.

basebase.jpg

Okay, so I got more done than I have pictures for this time - I got one completely done, varnish and all, with four more on bases awaiting the last touch ups.

Frosty.jpg

This is where things got silly - this doesn't look bad, by any means, but the varnish seems to have frosted along the bottom where the Nurgle's Rot was making my swampy detail. No frost on the model itself, and very little over the base, but anywhere near the Nurgle's Rot it frosted right on up. This, of course, changed the appearance of the Nurgle's Rot dramatically. I haven't yet gotten the Nurgle's Rot on the other bases to give a side-by-side.

This a normal thing? User error? Or just a reaction i can expect with this particular technical paint?

Your image doesn't appear to load, but from the sounds of it it's possible that technical paints can alter how the varnish goes. In order to help prevent frosting always shake the can very well, prevention being better than cure!

If it is the technical paint then perhaps coating it in a varnish first might help seal it and prevent a reaction? This sounds like something best taken to the Forge for more input and hopefully a definitive answer :thumbsup:

Honestly, as paints like Nurgle's Rot and Blood for the Blood God are designed to be shiny and wet-look, I would always apply these after spray-varnishing.

I would also note that where these sorts of technical paints are applied thickly, it can take a very long time for them to be fully dry all the way through; and with the spray varnish, you only need a very small amount of residual moisture to spoil/frost the finish.

Got a little more work done this week, between doing all the code bits on Index: Mechanicus. Got another pair of bases finished out, trying the Nurgle's Rot Mix after the varnish as was suggested.

base.jpg

Came out so much better. Supposed to look like they're trudging through goopy icky swamp marsh, rather than the green marshmallow swamp the first one came to look like. Very happy with this turnout.

Which led me to building more guys, priming more guys, basing some yet other guys, and then green stuffing them into place. Leaving the current progress of the project at:

group.jpg

Feel like I did a lot this week. And yet not much at all. At the same time.

Archived