The Enyara 144th 2nd Company

Mileposter

Unfortunately not - the frost caused by the Nurgle's Rot mix affected the entirety of the base and the boots of the guardsman himself. I reiterate from before, it doesn't look bad - and I'll play with him for a while until I have bits to replace him - but the difference is so noticeable it's painful.

One Guardsman sacrificed. It is, after all, their duty to die in the name of the Emperor and the pursuit of His Science.

• 2 weeks later...

I was involved in a rather painful car accident early last week which has left me unable to paint for a period of time, and makes typing slow at best. I am recovering well and will return to 100% - but in the meantime updates here will slow pretty dramatically for a few weeks.

I'm still able to BUILD some things without much issue, so I might be able to sneak in the construction of another squad here or there over the next two-ish weeks, but it's unlikely. I'll probably return to these folks immediately once I'm able because I'm really eager to PLAY with them. In the meantime, I'll likely focus on my coding projects while I heal up.

Built the rest of the squad that I had started - putting me at two full squads built with a few painted and based - but it proves to be a bit much for me still. Probably another week before I can get into hobbying again. Frustration!

I'm recovering and improving steadily. Built the Commander and Command Squad yesterday, with far less trouble than the last attempt at building had. Should be able to build and sculpt bases more often now, though with my index finger still mucked up painting won't be on the menu for a little while.

Status.jpg

The force, oh how it grows!

20180225_202548.jpg

Commissar, third squad, special weapons, and half of some Bullgryns have been built, drilled, and pinned. Bases to come over the week, and then I can start actually playing with these folk. Still a while until painting... Maybe a week? Might be two on the long end?

Probably won't worry about painting them for a bit, since I have a small backlog of special projects I need to kick out - and the important part is being able to play! But they won't sit idle for long. Love 'em too much.

• 1 month later...

To arms, guardsmen! We have detected possible alien infiltration in our sector. Be on the lookout for individuals acting suspiciously or showing any sign of alien taint. The vile xenos may hide among your very ranks!

grotmarine.jpg

Alright. So, I've begun the construction on the Wound Tracker Leman Russ With Lights (WTLRWL). I'll have snappy picks of wires and blinky lights in a little bit. At the moment, however, we're preparing the chassis to receive said guts... And there comes a question: To sponson or not to sponson.

This will be a Leman Russ Battle Tank - Battle Cannon is intended as the main gun. It will have a deep-seated diffused red glow within the barrel. I describe this because I want to ask opinions: Should I sponson? If I do, I can easily add lighting effects to those barrels as well... So if I do, which should I do? From a gameplay perspective? A rule of cool perspective?

The Chassis prepares to receive it's weldings:

20180414_155822.jpg20180414_194745.jpg

Since I didn't get any opinions one way or the other, decided on Heavy Bolter sponsons. Not going to bother lighting them up, but did bore them out for a better appearance. They're visible on the sides below.

Got the battery module and charger into the chassis last night. Since this is a prototype build and isn't intended to have any sort of open or accessible parts once I'm finished, I've soldered on dupont connectors rather than direct soldering - and will also help organize the wires with such a tight fit. The kits I produce down the line will not have such large connections on them. It's also noticeable that I haven't done any of the potting for this prototype.

Since we don't want things getting bounced about or scratched up inside here, I used some silicone to adhere the parts in place with each other. Silicone isn't the strongest stuff out there, but it's adhesive enough and impact resistant. Interior parts shouldn't be under that much stress to begin with and I'm only looking to keep them steady during typical use and travel. Green Stuff will be used to secure more frequently roughed things, such as the on/off switch, for example.

Also shown here (which won't be in the kits) is the QI receiver I added under the battery. This'll keep from needing to open up the model cavity to recharge or change out the batteries. Wanted to build this all-in-one and need no hassle afterwards. :D

Built.jpgCharging.jpg

I thought I asked what you were going to put in the sponsons ,but guess I changed my mind thinking there would be plenty answering back. Choosing heavy bolters sounds fair,but I wish you would've considered lighting them up aswell,but understand that would have been to tight.

It's not terribly tight - the barrels themselves can be bored all the way to the back of the weapon, where the LED could be placed with minimal issues. It would have taken some work to pull off, but it's simple at least. My concern was that without fiber optics down the barrel, getting the glow to look 'full' with that much empty air down the barrel might have been a detriment. I'm thinking of using the clear silicone as a conductor on the next attempt, but that Russ is going to have sound instead of the Wound Tracker. >.>;

Don't want to risk magnetizing while I've got so much electronics crammed in there. There's already not a lot of space, and boring out more plastic might run into what's being run already. On top of magnets interfering with the electronics elsewise.

• 2 weeks later...

And we're all finished up with the building. Went together swimmingly and works beautifully as a nice prototype for the Wound Tracker Kit. As said before, I added an LED kit and a QI charger so I didn't need to build a door or slide into the central cavity. Probably going to use this method for any other Russes I get.

There are five LED's set into this one, with only three visible at a time: The diffused red glow in the main barrel, an off-white flickering LED out of the top hatch, and a status indicator out the front viewport. When the tank is on, the standard color is blue. It will change to red when the battery is low, and display green while it is charging. The green charging glow will display even if the tank is off, but will cut out once the battery gets full.

LED_Russ.jpgTracker_Russ.jpg

... Just in time to use it for the ETL too, which is a plus.

Archived