Legion of the Ashen Choir (5/26/19) BlightLords

CMDR_Welles

Still working on the Blightbringer, no progress pics yet. I did start on the Hauler as well to break up the Blightbringer work.

I'm trying to nail down how I want to do my bases across the whole army, and the Blight Hauler base was the best as I can still remove it from the base.

Basecoat is Army PAinter Dirt Spatter

Strong Tone wash

drybrush of Army Painter Monster Brown.

I then did a Dark Tone wash under the area where the Hauler sits to add a bit of shading to the base. You can see it as the triangular dark section in the middle between the three mounting holes

Still debating rim color.

sueNguU.jpg

yjAPJml.jpg

s2HvnHu.jpg

ygZolGY.jpg

I think it looks great. I’d be tempted to dry a very light drybrush of a bone colour. But it looks like it will work great as a contrast to the DG colours.

I might hit it with another drybrush once its closer to being done, especially in the areas not under the Hauler. We'll see. I've not been able to get much done as I've been down with migraines all weekend...

• 1 month later...

With my mothers heart surgery last month, and her upcoming cancer surgery next week; I've not had much time (or honestly inclination) to do any painting.

I've only done a little more than I had before, but I seem to be stuck. I'm working on the Tentacles, and something about them just isnt working...

Screamer Pink

Red Tone Wash

Drybrush Screamer Pink

Drybrush Pink Horror

line highlight of a very watered down Cadian Fleshtone.

I could really use some input, thoughts, suggestions. Either how to fix this, or I guess even another way of doing them... I dont know if I want to go with a more fleshy color or stick with this darker tone.

Please help.

U2XRoch.jpg

It is very dark, but I like it... really. Personally it looks almost like a Nuln oil wash...dark and gritty.

I think if it weren't so dark you wouldn't have to thin your highlight down so much. But I rather go brighter myself, then highlight the tentacle and what I do is go back a second time with the wash to bring the highlight in line a bit with the rest of the tentacle.

If you like the base tone (which there's nothing wrong with) then you can always highlight in something less stark than Cadian Flesh tone... something in the pink/flesh colour spectrum. They have a lot... screamer pink, horror pink, etc. Use your base colour and combine them a bit... experiment until you like it.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I fixed the problem I was having...

Here is the first mini I started painting in the new scheme. It's almost done except for the little fly on his backpack. Everything else is complete and sealed. I'll add a tuft of static grass to the base when its all dry. I can at least share him now.

Ijbr5Br.jpg

tJiOLSl.jpg

I've also managed to get a good chunk of my Lord completed as well. Now that I have a direction and fluff, its going a lot faster now.

Meet Lord Pavarottus and his Aria of Filth

6XIuL6D.jpg

VXBhSWr.jpg

7wu6blz.jpg

d17ARBa.jpg

h3hD7S5.jpg

He isnt done yet, but its quite the start for me. Once I finish him, I'll start on the rest of the PM squad.

They look damn good my friend, keep it up!

Thanks! This is a pretty big deal for me. This is the first time in at least 15 years I've got more than one mini painted in a single year.

My new antidepressants cocktail is helping with the depression and PTSD it seems.

The armor colors looks a lot better in these pic!

Great work!

Now work on that cute blight hauler and feed us the pic, we are severly missing blight hauler pic around here. :wink:

I added s progress pic of the Hauler, its coming together slowly.

I like the new color scheme....a different look than the standard green or dirty off white most of us do.  Looks great!

Thanks! I like it too. I started with Green, but just wasnt feeling it. Not only did the color inspire me to paint, but also gave me my army name and theme.

You’re a pretty meticulous painter! The army is looking really good. The scheme looks great too.

Thanks! Meticulous also means slow lol!

I'm not trying to win any awards with this. My hobby has suffered so much with the depression and now the PTSD, and since the new drug cocktail I'm on is helping; I am just working as I can. Its helping to take my mind off real life...

We just had a new game store open 4.1 miles from my house, so hopefully I can overcome my social anxiety enough to actually get some games in.

Great painting. I freaking love the scheme and theme combination you have here, but especially dig your lord :) Clever name/theme combination there, and I'm a huge fan of "happy Nurgle", so seeing Felthius and his grin as a primary character in a warband makes me happy :) Can we get consolidated fluff?? Edited by Draakur

Great painting. I freaking love the scheme and theme combination you have here, but especially dig your lord :smile.: Clever name/theme combination there, and I'm a huge fan of "happy Nurgle", so seeing Felthius and his grin as a primary character in a warband makes me happy :smile.: Can we get consolidated fluff??

Thanks!

I havent really codified the fluff other than names and themes. I do know the Ashen Choir have been wandering the Warp and Galaxy alone for 10,000 years as Lord Pavarottus adds to his ever growing Grand Aria of Filth. Other Death Guard factions want nothing to do with them as the singing is so wretched that it causes ripples in the Warp around him. It is said that even Noise Marines will pack up and find another planet to attack, in a completely different Sector if at all possible.

A select troupe of Nurgle Daemons have flocked to the Ashen Choir due to the Warp Distortions, and only because they are either completely deaf, or as tonally challenged as their Lord. Nurglings in particular find the whole thing incredibly funny and tend to gather in great numbers.

Great painting. I freaking love the scheme and theme combination you have here, but especially dig your lord :) Clever name/theme combination there, and I'm a huge fan of "happy Nurgle", so seeing Felthius and his grin as a primary character in a warband makes me happy :) Can we get consolidated fluff??

Thanks!I havent really codified the fluff other than names and themes. I do know the Ashen Choir have been wandering the Warp and Galaxy alone for 10,000 years as Lord Pavarottus adds to his ever growing Grand Aria of Filth. Other Death Guard factions want nothing to do with them as the singing is so wretched that it causes ripples in the Warp around him. It is said that even Noise Marines will pack up and find another planet to attack, in a completely different Sector if at all possible.A select troupe of Nurgle Daemons have flocked to the Ashen Choir due to the Warp Distortions, and only because they are either completely deaf, or as tonally challenged as their Lord. Nurglings in particular find the whole thing incredibly funny and tend to gather in great numbers.

This is great :) Cheers, looking forward to more!