Legion of the Ashen Choir (5/26/19) BlightLords

CMDR_Welles

Wow, just came across this thread and it's been wonderful looking at the pictures of all your beautiful models.

Really impressive, I love the scheme and your painting work is great.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I should have some updates soon. I've been in transition to new medication lately, so my motivational level has been low... The new dosage is helping again somewhat.

If you don't mind sharing, what is the recipe you used to get the body color of your Plague Burst Crawler? Did you airbrush or hand brush it? I've been meaning to paint up my DG in 30K colors but I'm really reconsidering doing something similar to your black mold looking style.

The basecoat is P3 Coal Black. It has a dark blue/teal tinge to it. With the PBC, I did airbrush the basecoat, then the rest with brush.

Coal Black basecoat

then Army Painter Dark Tone (could use Nuln Oil) wash

I then drybrush the model with Army Painter Uniform Grey

then a really light drybrush of Army Painter Ash Grey on the highest edges/creases.

It's really just drybrushing. Simple, easy, quick, and I feel it gives a more natural appearance over edge highlighting.

Sort of an, erm... “Dark Iron Turqoise” you’ve got going there isn’t it? Really nice colour :thumbsup: Looking great brother!

Its the P3 Coal Black basecoat. Depending on the light, and the personal looking at it, it could be dark blue to dark teal. It is one of my favorite paints, and I'm glad I went with it for my army.

• 3 months later...

Squad Verdi of the Legion of the Ashen Choir.

I'm gonna call them done... Project stalled when I couldnt figure out how to do the lenses (red gem paint). I decided to just let it go and live with it.

The one Bolter Bro broke his shoulder horn... I might have to ebay another to paint as a replacement... It is bugging me....

Havent done much hobby, been sick and tore a meniscus in my right knee back in August... Hard to do much with the pain...

This is a pretty big step for me. With my depression, I'm lucky enough to get a single model assembled, let alone painted. And now, this year alone, I have completed a full unit, two vehicles, and a Lord. 10 models completed and painted in the same year.

tTPd0dp.jpg

QD12AkV.jpg

gm753OF.jpg

x53vuFA.jpg

Great job. The look really Is nice to see on squad size units.

Thanks man. And yeah, I am really happy it works. I need to finish the three Drones, and I've already started work on the 3 Blightlords from Felthius Cohort. I'll take a group picture once I have more than the 10 models that are completed. 

Here is the base of the one Cohort Blightlord. I havent finished the rim (blacked), nor has it been sealed yet. I'm going to use a gloss varnish (vallejo) to give it a wet look

t4Byf2y.jpgHCHVHg5.jpg

Sooo many Fleshy bits... Had to take a break as my hand was cramping... These bits will be much like the base when done.

QhpR44d.jpg

Love the colour scheme man, works well :smile.:

Really unique scheme, as Prot said, looks ace on a full unit.

Thanks guys. I am really happy with the scheme. So glad it works. 

Once I get a few more models done, I'm going to start an army showcase in the Hall of Honour. I'll take more photos of them all together. Be a while though, my hobby is at a trickle due to all the pain meds I'm currently taking lol

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am the farthest away from a tournament player you can get. In fact, I feel very strongly that the growing tournament focus over the last 18 years has ruined the hobby... I lay most of that blame on Magic the Gathering, RTS computer gaming, and the changes in the gaming culture those games brought. The Internet has only increased that focus...

All I care about is having fun with my models, whether they are perceived weak or strong, its all about my narrative, and telling stories through play.

As to the Plague Marines, what's the purpose of playing Death Guard if you arent playing Plague Marines? Plague Marines should be the core of every army. Why play Thousands Sons, if you are only taking Tzaangors? Or Dark Angels, and only taking Deathwing or Ravenwing...

I have never agreed with a post online more than this one.