Legion of the Ashen Choir (5/26/19) BlightLords

CMDR_Welles

So, I think I am going to get a Plagueburst Crawler. I can easily make an army with everything I own by just adding a Crawler. I'd have to leave some things off to fit a unit of 7 Blightlords in. This list comes in at 1949 and is 7 Command Points. Once I can buy another Daemon Prince (I own 2 others for Khorne and Tzeentch), I'll probably swap out the Lord of Contagion in the Outrider detachment. But as it stands, all I'll need to add is the Crawler.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard)

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster: 1. Miasma of Pestilence, 5. Putrescent Vitality

Typhus: 2. Gift of Contagion, 4. Blades of Putrefaction, Warlord

+ Heavy Support +

Plagueburst Crawler: 2x Plaguespitter, Rothail volley gun

+ Elites +

Noxious Blightbringer: Plasma pistol

Tallyman: Plasma pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Myphitic Blight-haulers

. Myphitic Blight-hauler: Bile spurt, Missile launcher, Multi-melta

+ Troops +

Plague Marines: Icon of Despair

. Plague Champion: Plague knife, Plasma pistol, Power fist

. 3x Plague Marine w/ boltgun

. Plague Marine w/ melee weapons: Flail of Corruption

. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

Plague Marines: Icon of Despair

. Plague Champion: Boltgun, Plaguesword, Power fist

. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun

. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

Plague Marines

. Plague Champion: Plague knife, Plasma gun, Power fist

. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun

. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Poxwalkers: 20x Poxwalker

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Death Guard)

+ HQ +

Lord of Contagion Plaguereaper

+ Fast Attack +

Foetid Bloat-drone: Heavy blight launcher, Plague probe

Foetid Bloat-drone: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

Foetid Bloat-drone: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

Looks like a nice not so friendly list.

please report on how the plague marines performed, im particularly interested in your melee / melta squad.

It'll be quite some time before I am ready to play the army as a lot of it is broken down for painting, and I still need the Tallyman and the Crawler.

As to my Close Support Squad as I call it. I wanted a unit with Meltaguns but I didnt want to fully dedicate to melee. Since that unit is going to be in my opponents face, I figured its probably going to see close combat more than my other units. That's why I added the Flail for some added melee punch. I'm curious to see how it performs myself and if it works like I think/want it should

Looks like a nice not so friendly list.

please report on how the plague marines performed, im particularly interested in your melee / melta squad.

You really think its not that friendly? I'm just fielding the models I own and like, I've not put any kind of thought into it other than my narative.

Depends on your friends. Unless they use hardcore tournament list, they will get a fight out off you.

The 3 drones, plagueburstcrawler and potential daemon prince are not good at making friends.

Lots of plague marine is not as "competitive".

I know my spacewolf fluff bunny friend dont like the 3 drones much.

Well, it's only 2 Spitter Drones and a Heavy Launcher Drone, so there is that. :wink:

Most people seem to swear by Spitters or Mowers, so I wanted to buck the trend with the Launcher. Plus, I think its a cool looking weapon on the Drone.

If I get a Daemon Prince, it wont have wings. I want to get the actual Daemon Prince of Nurgle model since it is so characterful.

I do have a lot of leftover Daemon Prince parts from the two plastic DPs I already have. I really just need legs and a back honestly. Wonder how much a Blight Drone body and legs would run me off a bits seller... hmmm

I don’t think the list is that strong. In my area I’d say it would sit right in the middle... about a 5-6 out of 10.

My own lists are similar but I always take a DP... always. I find the army really needs him.

Typhus is really hit and miss. He’s really pricey if he’s babysitting Poxwalkers, but he does have great inherent abilities that keep him flexible for aggressive or passive play styles.

That many Plague marines is tough.

2 spitter drones and 2 plague crawlers are a solid core for any DG list. I don’t think a pair of both is really that overbearing. Let’s put it this way... that’s not a tournament level list you’ve got there. To me it smells like a list with some fun experimenting units bit also has a few items that will keep it in a lot of games.

I don’t think the list is that strong. In my area I’d say it would sit right in the middle... about a 5-6 out of 10.

My own lists are similar but I always take a DP... always. I find the army really needs him.

Typhus is really hit and miss. He’s really pricey if he’s babysitting Poxwalkers, but he does have great inherent abilities that keep him flexible for aggressive or passive play styles.

That many Plague marines is tough.

2 spitter drones and 2 plague crawlers are a solid core for any DG list. I don’t think a pair of both is really that overbearing. Let’s put it this way... that’s not a tournament level list you’ve got there. To me it smells like a list with some fun experimenting units bit also has a few items that will keep it in a lot of games.

I am the farthest away from a tournament player you can get. In fact, I feel very strongly that the growing tournament focus over the last 18 years has ruined the hobby... I lay most of that blame on Magic the Gathering, RTS computer gaming, and the changes in the gaming culture those games brought. The Internet has only increased that focus...

So, yeah... I'm an oddball...

All I care about is having fun with my models, whether they are perceived weak or strong, its all about my narrative, and telling stories through play.

As to the Plague Marines, what's the purpose of playing Death Guard if you arent playing Plague Marines? Plague Marines should be the core of every army. Why play Thousands Sons, if you are only taking Tzaangors? Or Dark Angels, and only taking Deathwing or Ravenwing...

All I care about is having fun with my models, whether they are perceived weak or strong, its all about my narrative, and telling stories through play.

As to the Plague Marines, what's the purpose of playing Death Guard if you arent playing Plague Marines? Plague Marines should be the core of every army. Why play Thousands Sons, if you are only taking Tzaangors? Or Dark Angels, and only taking Deathwing or Ravenwing...

Exactly my line of thinking. Amen to oddness!

I was just countering the previous comments on your list. If you want to use every plague marine you own, go for it!

But I strongly disagree about ‘ruining the hobby ‘. The hobby is stronger than ever. The competitive gamer, while typically very vocal, is by far the minority. GW knows this and it’s why their rules continue to be so lopsided to this day.

I was just countering the previous comments on your list. If you want to use every plague marine you own, go for it!

But I strongly disagree about ‘ruining the hobby ‘. The hobby is stronger than ever. The competitive gamer, while typically very vocal, is by far the minority. GW knows this and it’s why their rules continue to be so lopsided to this day.

Sorry, I might have come across more defensive than I meant.

As to competitive players being the minority, I just dont buy it. IF that mindset was the minority, then where is all the discussion on narrative play?

There is only one thread here in the Death Guard section on Narratives for Warbands and it only has ONE reply, mine...

Yet the "Are Plague Marines Competitive" thread has 176 replies... This is practically mirrored in every other faction section on B&C. Is is or that Competitve threads are everywhere, and not just here, but in EVERY online gaming community...

No one talks about narrative gaming. You go into your local store for a casual pickup game and you are instantly greeted by every cheezoid netlist imaginable... The competitive mindset permeates everything now..

I just told you why.... competitive players are very vocal. They scour the forums. They look for any edge they can get on a unit. They want and need to know what they may face and how to defeat it.

The narrative player does not give a care why a “defiler” isn’t competitive. He feels no need to debate over a multi page thread.

In my many years moderating here I have found the narrative player is more likely to post his army work or post a background he created for a list Or post about some campaign he’s played. But rarely a multi page debate on competitive units.

He may read such a thread but is more likely to quietly plod away at the list he plays against his friends and never bother entering a tournament.

As a side note I find your comment about gaming store lists a very broad and unfair strike. Did you actually go to that store you talked about?

I’ve played in a lot of stores and environments and I can’t agree with such a broad assumption. That’s not to say they don’t exist but I walk into stores with a much more open mind.

Edited by Prot

I just told you why.... competitive players are very vocal. They scour the forums. They look for any edge they can get on a unit. They want and need to know what they may face and how to defeat it.

The narrative player does not give a care why a “defiler” isn’t competitive. He feels no need to debate over a multi page thread.

In my many years moderating here I have found the narrative player is more likely to post his army work or post a background he created for a list Or post about some campaign he’s played. But rarely a multi page debate on competitive units.

He may read such a thread but is more likely to quietly plod away at the list he plays against his friends and never bother entering a tournament.

As a side note I find your comment about gaming store lists a very broad and unfair strike. Did you actually go to that store you talked about?

I’ve played in a lot of stores and environments and I can’t agree with such a broad assumption. That’s not to say they don’t exist but I walk into stores with a much more open mind.

I will admit my comments were broad, but also based on experiences over the last 18 years. Its why I stopped even bothering to play at two stores. It's why I gave up on Warmachine, as their community is just so very competitive. And, its why I stopped playing X-Wing all together.

Now, I dont really know how the new community that is growing around the new store that opened in my town back in march is like yet. Hopefully it doesnt follow previous trends..

And yeah, I've gotten jaded. Being constantly bombarded by the competitive internet groupthink that it is all I see now... No one talks about narrative. Its just frustrating...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like some great prep work. You’re gonna love it.

It was a lot easier to build than expected. Probably easier than a Rhino.

I did have to use greenstuff which I normally dont like to do. Mostly its along the side skirts and around the back end. Surprisingly I couldn't fill the seams with plastic weld I use.

I probably wont be able to prime it until Wednesday

• 1 month later...

Well, I thought I was done, but now that I've seen the photos, I've still got a bit more touchup to do.

Been dealing with a lot of personal life crap lately (mom to ER, Sisters surgery, me transitioning to new antidepressants), so painting has been slow to say the least. Not that I was fast to begin with lol

Here is my mostly complete Plagueburst Crawler.

PHzYWSv.jpg

JLi50Ae.jpg

YRkgaFL.jpg

Bq82LRH.jpg

bhcZtKK.jpg

Also, I finished up the weapons and rotors for my 3 Drones.

aor4IHW.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If you don't mind sharing, what is the recipe you used to get the body color of your Plague Burst Crawler? Did you airbrush or hand brush it? I've been meaning to paint up my DG in 30K colors but I'm really reconsidering doing something similar to your black mold looking style.