Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grotsmashas Challenge 8: Warlords closes, A Victor is Chosen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,096 posts

gallery_48988_10069_236225.png

As some of you might remember, a few years (years, really? It's been that long...) back I ran a serious of kit-bash challenges, focused around character types, Chaplains, Librarians, Captains, etc. I recently took a trip down memory lane, looking at those Completion threads, only to discover them victims of the 2017 Photobucket purge.

I want to fix that with a new series of Challenges. I have two plans to help with that in 2018, so feel free to comment on which plan you prefer.

Plan 1.) 3 Challenges 

Feb: Warlords

Jun: Psykers

Oct/Nov: Two month Challenge Duels and Dioramas OR 1 model Diorama OR Recreate/Counts-as named Character

Plan 2.) 4 Challenges

Feb: Warlords

May: Psykers

Aug: Recreate/Counts-as named Character

Sep: 1 model Diorama

For those unfamiliar with my challenges, here are the rules;

1- The finished model is not to be painted, the conversion should be bare plastic/resin/metal, the small odd painted piece stolen from a previously painted model is OK.

2- Must clearly be identifiable as the Unit it represents, it doesn't need to be codex legal, rule of cool here.

3- Maximum of 25% existing models in Metal/Finecast, and any Plastic Independent/Named Characters:

---25% consists of the following combinations;
--- Head- 0% can be from any existing model
---1x Arm- 12.5%, 2x Arms- 25% either from the same or separate models
---1x Leg- 12.5%, 2x Legs- 25% either from the same or separate models
---Torso- 25%

---25% is per model, you can combine 4 models (or more) if you desire.

---Things like FW's Red Scorpion upgrade pack DO NOT count to the 25% limitation.

4- Green Stuff/Sculpting putty is fine, small details to a full sculpt is acceptable.

5- 1 calendar month build time, February 1st 2018 til March 2nd 2018, this guarantees everyone gets one month.

6- Multiple entries per user.

7- You must declare participation a minimum of 24hrs prior to declaring completion, having said that, I don't mind if you've had a little head start.

8- Most importantly, HAVE FUN !!!!!

Due to the addition of Xenos to the B&C (welcome, btw thumbsup.gif) the Challenges will be more inclusive rather than specific to a particular unit type. So, for Warlords, I'll list all of the eligible units for the challenge:

Space Marines (Codex, GK, BA, DA, DW, GK, SW)

Captains (all varieties incl. Primaris) (Wolf Lords, Grand Masters, Company Masters, Watch Masters etc)

Lieutenants (all varieties incl. Primaris)

Forces of the Imperium (Sisters, AdMech, Guard, Agents IoM)

Canoness

Tech Priest Dominus

Commander (all varieties incl. Tank msn-wink.gif )

Tempestor Prime

Inquisitor

Chaos (Marines, Deamons, DG, TS, TLatD)

Deamon Princes

Greater Deamons (Bloodthirster, Great Unclean One etc)

Chaos Lords

Exalted Champions

Aeldari (Craftworld, Drukhari, Harlequin)

Autarch

Farseer

Archon

Troupe Master

Death Jester

Necrontyr

Overlord

Lord

Orks

Warboss

Big Mek

T'au

Commander (incl. Battlesuits)

Cadre Fireblade

Ethereal

Tyranids incl. Genestealer Cults

Hive Tyrant

Swarm Lord

Brood Lord

Patriarch

Primus

The Age of Darkness

O god there's too many, basically any HQ excl. Librarians, Chaplains, Techmarines and Apothecaries (they'll all probably, maybe get their own challenges).

There is a Participation Banner available now and Faction specific Pips available for the Challenge, as well as Completion, Top 10, and Top 5 banners. I will also choose a Challenge favourite, who will receive a unique Banner and Pip to wear with pride.

gallery_48988_10069_49408.png

If any one has any questions, or would like some clarifications, don't hesitate to ask. So all you need to do is get your bitz orders out, don't leave them to the last minute.

Cheers,

Jono

Edited by Grotsmasha, 25 March 2018 - 01:59 PM.

gallery_48988_15465_50871.pnggallery_48988_6285_19365.pnggallery_48988_15465_13594.png sml_gallery_48988_15094_4327.pngsml_gallery_48988_16045_3749.png sml_gallery_48988_16045_1076.png sml_gallery_48988_16053_7077.png gallery_48988_10069_385.png

Check out my current and past projects HERE Heralds of Devastation

Having a Hobby Clean-out, a bunch of stuff now on eBay

Giving Fiverr a go, model Painting, Assembly and Conversion Commissions available

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,674 posts

This looks like lots of fun! Can't say I'll participate since I have so much still to paint, but I encourage everyone else to do so. These are always a good time.

TURBULENCE

TURBULENCE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
I'll participate for sure. Gives me a good excuse to make some unique one off models

Brother Argent

Brother Argent

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,012 posts

This will work well with my Tale of Eight Armies so I would actually be in for this.  So basically, count me in.

gallery_36568_13287_1351.jpg

Plaguecaster

Plaguecaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,131 posts
I'll be keen as it sounds fun, I'll change my loyalties this time for the warlord one and do a Black Templar Primaris character as I got an interesting conversion I want to try
Nurgle Abominarions: A Host of Decay Revived for 8th​.
UPDATED 29/07/17

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,556 posts
Sisters also have Jacobus and Celestine as Warlords ;)

In the darkness between the stars, the weak and the faithless find no deliverance. We are raised to believe that the God-Emperor watches over us all. And so we are charged to cleanse the mutant, the heretic and the alien. We must not falter. We are His sword. We are His wrath. Even in the face of death, we shall not submit. Suffering is our prayer. Faith is our armour. In Battle He offers us redemption. And for those who proves their worth, the Emperor sends sends forth His Angels!

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,096 posts

Sisters also have Jacobus and Celestine as Warlords msn-wink.gif

Named Characters will be a separate challenge....if we make it that far :tu:

gallery_48988_15465_50871.pnggallery_48988_6285_19365.pnggallery_48988_15465_13594.png sml_gallery_48988_15094_4327.pngsml_gallery_48988_16045_3749.png sml_gallery_48988_16045_1076.png sml_gallery_48988_16053_7077.png gallery_48988_10069_385.png

Giving Fiverr a go, model Painting, Assembly and Conversion Commissions available

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,751 posts
Seems like I should get it, but the 25% rule means that more than 25% of the parts can’t come from a single kit? 0% of the head can come from an existing model... does that mean it has to be scratchbuilt, or that if we use a certain model for the base, we can’t use the existing head it comes with? But... we couldn’t use more than 25% of any kit, so...

I dunno, maybe you could explain it in even clearer/simpler terms? Sometimes I confuse myself.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,096 posts

Seems like I should get it, but the 25% rule means that more than 25% of the parts can’t come from a single kit? 0% of the head can come from an existing model... does that mean it has to be scratchbuilt, or that if we use a certain model for the base, we can’t use the existing head it comes with? But... we couldn’t use more than 25% of any kit, so...
I dunno, maybe you could explain it in even clearer/simpler terms? Sometimes I confuse myself.

The 25% Rule ONLY applies to Named Character models, or the newer mono-pose super detailed Independant Character models.
ALL multi-part plastic boxsets are exempt from the Rule. The purpose of the Rule is to encourage the kit-bqshing/converting side of the Hobby by preventing someone buying the (for example) New Primaris Captain, doing a weapon swap and calling it a day.
0% Head means that the head counts for 0% of a model, meaning if you have used the Legs from Asmodai, you can still use the head and it won't break the 25% Rule.

The 25% has always been clunky, and has needed some explanation each time, so don't sweat it. Hopefully this has cleared it up for you :tu:

Cheers,
Jono

Orion

Orion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,784 posts

I need something to complete in the new year. I'm game.

Soldier of Dorn

Soldier of Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,523 posts

Looking forward to it all. :tu: The original challenges were fair early in my time on the board, so never got a chance to participate. Biting at the bit for this.

gallery_78067_11287_41024.pnggallery_78067_11287_2164.pnggallery_78067_11287_16564.png

For the light of Sol, and the earth of Terra, we stand. For the oaths we made, we stand. For the blood in our veins, we stand.
For the stones laid by our ancestors, we stand. For the days that have passed and the days that shall come, we stand.
For the living and the honour of the dead, we stand.

Lord Commander Eidolon

Lord Commander Eidolon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 910 posts
Sounds exciting! I'd be up for a little converting action!! Really is one of the most fun parts of the hobby for me!!
"Only by Imperfection can we fail...''
Fulgrim, the Phoenician, the Illuminator, the Prefector of Chemos

My Blogs: 

sml_gallery_162_12011_407905.pngtn_gallery_162_12011_4334.jpegtn_gallery_162_12011_452.jpeg Instagram: @pursuitOfperfection

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,025 posts

Sisters also have Jacobus and Celestine as Warlords msn-wink.gif

Named Characters will be a separate challenge....if we make it that far thumbsup.gif

Damn it. I was thinking I could finish up my Lufgt Huron conversion for this.

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

Check out my Instagram for other stuff I can't post here.

Aegir_Einarsson

Aegir_Einarsson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
Great idea. I'm in.

One question. I wan't to make captain on bike. Does bike Also need to be converted from different parts, or it could be as it is, And % limitations apply only to a model?
And second question 3d party bits could be used? Scibor, kromlech And So on?

gallery_38474_6916_27314.jpg

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,096 posts

Sisters also have Jacobus and Celestine as Warlords ;)

Named Characters will be a separate challenge....if we make it that far :tu:

Damn it. I was thinking I could finish up my Lufgt Huron conversion for this.
*IF* you don't tell me, how will I know.... ;)

but seriously, counts-as Named Characters aren't excluded from being valid entries, they will just be getting their own challenge in the future.

Edited by Grotsmasha, 01 January 2018 - 09:36 AM.

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,096 posts

Great idea. I'm in.
One question. I wan't to make captain on bike. Does bike Also need to be converted from different parts, or it could be as it is, And % limitations apply only to a model?

Only the Captain is subject to the Rules, any bikes or jumppacks are exempt. Go bananas with any bits you like, as long as the finished model is identifiable as what is supposed to be, you could use 100% 3rd party bits :tu:

Kinstryfe

Kinstryfe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,301 posts

Great idea. I'm in.

Omg. I just imagined what it would be like trying to make an IG Tank Commander if you had to build the tank out of at least 4 different kits.
gallery_26_4045_659.png

I am a filthy ETL oathbreaker. I acknowledge my failing and will be sure to correct it.

My Lamenters and Harlequins

Aramis K

Aramis K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 640 posts
Sounds great. I'm already excited about the autumn for duels or tiny dioramas.
I'm on Instagram as Aramis_esq

Mentor Legion, Deathwatch, and bastard geneseed log
"Officially, they were designated the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs, but they called themselves the Greyshields. They were the new sons of old science, and they had no fraternity but their own."

My Heresy Alpha Legion log - XX in progress

Aegir_Einarsson

Aegir_Einarsson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
Ok. Thanks for explanation:)

gallery_38474_6916_27314.jpg

Irbis

Irbis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,616 posts

The 25% Rule ONLY applies to Named Character models, or the newer mono-pose super detailed Independant Character models.
ALL multi-part plastic boxsets are exempt from the Rule. The purpose of the Rule is to encourage the kit-bqshing/converting side of the Hobby by preventing someone buying the (for example) New Primaris Captain, doing a weapon swap and calling it a day.
0% Head means that the head counts for 0% of a model, meaning if you have used the Legs from Asmodai, you can still use the head and it won't break the 25% Rule.

The 25% has always been clunky, and has needed some explanation each time, so don't sweat it. Hopefully this has cleared it up for you thumbsup.gif

Does this mean primaris characters are banned? Because with one exception, they are all monopose, and while it's kinda possible to swap arms with lots of cutting and filing, torso and legs are monolithic block you can't separate without it looking like ass, and even if you did, you'd need to cut up multiple models as there are zero spare legs anywhere, unlike standard SM kits with legs being dime a dozen...

binary

binary

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 341 posts
I’m in. Just about finished ToH2017, so need something to keep the motivation for the HG 4th company going

Elzender

Elzender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,213 posts
Ooh, this might give me just the motivation to finish some ideas that have been gathering dust for a while! I actually have a warlord (HH praetor), a duel and a one miniature diorama kinda started, so I might use them for these challenges, and I would finally get them done!

My blog (in Spanish): http://suenosdeuncon...logspot.com.es/

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_73849.png

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

The 25% has always been clunky, and has needed some explanation each time, so don't sweat it. Hopefully this has cleared it up for you thumbsup.gif

Does this mean primaris characters are banned? Because with one exception, they are all monopose, and while it's kinda possible to swap arms with lots of cutting and filing, torso and legs are monolithic block you can't separate without it looking like ass, and even if you did, you'd need to cut up multiple models as there are zero spare legs anywhere, unlike standard SM kits with legs being dime a dozen...

Yeah I was thinking the same. I'm planning on making a conversion based on the Primaris Lieutenant but I'd like to keep most of the model as is actually since it would require way too much efford to cut everything apart and putting together again without it looking like halfassed crap.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,096 posts

The 25% has always been clunky, and has needed some explanation each time, so don't sweat it. Hopefully this has cleared it up for you :tu:

Yeah I was thinking the same. I'm planning on making a conversion based on the Primaris Lieutenant but I'd like to keep most of the model as is actually since it would require way too much efford to cut everything apart and putting together again without it looking like halfassed crap.
Primaris are a problem with the 25% Rule, and I have been thinking on it. I think the best way forward is to ijclude the Captain, Chaplain, Librarian, and Apothecary models in the 25% Rule and allow the legs/torso combo of the rest of the Primaris range to be exempt from the Rule.

It's also worth making a point of saying it now, anyone can ignore the Rules and make the conversion that they want to, they are still most welcome to use both the Participation and Completion banners/pips, they'll just be ineligible for winning The Favourite, which in all honestly, is just my favourite based on my personal preferences, which won't mean squat to some....

Cheers,
Jono

Edited by Grotsmasha, 01 January 2018 - 11:40 PM.

MikhalLeNoir

MikhalLeNoir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,821 posts
Are Brotherbood of the Lost or any entries from the special project forum allowed? Would be cool to see some lightning bearers models etc

Open for Comissions, just PM me. The Wardens of Light were like golden blades, cutting down their enemies scarring the darkness.

gallery_78117_10471_62812.png