Mini of the year 2017 - what do you pick?

Aramis K

I went for Cypher, too. A characterful re-imagining of a long established universe figure in dire need of a new model.

The bulk of the year's releases  don't really appeal to my taste - I can appreciate the technical achievement of some of them, particularly the Chaos stuff, but they're just not for me. When Nurgle, Stormcast and Primaris account for so much of the year there's not a lot left over to vote for!

Mortarion is an amazing miniature.

Cypher looks okay but can't hold a candle to Mortarion.

I can't nominate any Primaris Marines as most of them are just larger versions of what we already have... bolter Marines, a plain captain with sword and bolter or a plasma gun Marine - yawn.

I can see the potential in Mortarion, but the studio's paint scheme puts me right off. 

For me a was a toss up between:

The Visarch, Sword of Ynnead - a classic GW sculpt that echos the best elements of WHFB High Elves and Eldar lines over the past 30 years. It's an understated piece, but the details and design choices are brilliant. 

Escher Gang for Necromunda - GW sculpting dynamic, athletic female miniatures for a change. :thumbsup:  

In the end, the girls won my vote because they feel like GW breaking new ground.

Saddened by the fact that there were no FW options

If there were, the main studio may as well not bother putting their list up...

While I would have agreed with that a few years ago, technically speaking I find it hard to look at Cawl, compared to anything I've got from FW and think it is in any way inferior.

Honestly other than some hideous design choices, from a technical perspective I'm more than fine going back to GW for my model needs.

Again, a few years ago that wasn't the case, but now?

While I would have agreed with that a few years ago, technically speaking I find it hard to look at Cawl, compared to anything I've got from FW and think it is in any way inferior.

Honestly other than some hideous design choices, from a technical perspective I'm more than fine going back to GW for my model needs.

3 words: Carab Culln Leviathan

Extra words: Something being a substantial technical achievement isn't the same as it being a best model. The Demon Primarchs are all remarkable feats of design from a purely technical standpoint, but the overall result leaves me cold. It's all completely subjective though of course.

Edited by sockwithaticket

Maybe it is because I have no interest in the Horus Heresy setting but I have never really understood the big deal about Forge World models, most of it is just not to my taste but then if we all had the same taste in models things would get pretty boring on the tabletop. 

This year of all years FW =/= HH. Just looking through tiny new releases bit of the FW site you've got Gor Half Horn and the Tau Tiger Shark alongside a bunch of LotR stuff and 40k only SM things.

3 words: Carab Culln Leviathan

Extra words: Something being a substantial technical achievement isn't the same as it being a best model. The Demon Primarchs are all remarkable feats of design from a purely technical standpoint, but the overall result leaves me cold. It's all completely subjective though of course.

Another Leviathan compared to Cawl, or Mortarion?

No contest to me, but as you say, its subjective.

I voted for the Intercessors. That redesign of the Marine aesthetics is astonishing imo.

Celestine is the best character but the primaris intercessors are very nice. The sisters were a joy to paint. I hope we see more plastics for them soon.

You and me both.

I would bankrupt myself on plastic sisters.

I voted for the Primaris Chaplain. Though I was tempted to vote for the celestine remake (that was a wonderful remake compared to the original), but the Primaris Chaplain looks incredible. Outside of the special edition terminator chaplain, most of the other chaplain models have not done the model justice. The regular terminator chaplain with combi-weapon isnt bad, but all the other chaplains have been really lackluster.

Limited-Edition-Space-Marine-Terminator-

Thats a fantastic, but incredibly limited run model. while the Primaris Chaplain looks truly like a figure to fear on the battlefield. I would have liked something a little more threatening for Crozius, but overall its just a fantastic model that makes the chaplain really stand out as a figure to instill fear and fury.

99120101180_PrimarisChaplain01.jpg

Edited by Saxxon the Dragoon

I, too, voted for the Sector Mechanicus scenery. St. Celestine would have been my second choice and the Esher Gang my third.

GW models have not done much for me this year. I dislike the "ick factor" of the plague marines and Primarus marines just don't appeal to me.

I voted for Guilliman in the end :-P

Not because I think he's the best model, but because he got a lot of hate. The mini looks great on the tabletop and deserves appreciation.

Edited by Ishagu

While I am still a Sisters fanatic, I've rather reached a point of burn out with them since my army list hasn't really changed since 2008, and Celestine did little to inspire me to pick her up. 8th rolling around got me to work on starting Templars but they didn't have anything new to pull me in there so it's been a slow process that has been compounded by real life giving me reasons to push it off over the last six months. So in the end I had to vote for the Myphitic Blight-hauler.

Yes, it is an easy-to-build kit, but it's also the first thing I've seen in a while that makes me want to rush out and start and army to the point of potentially sacrificing sleep and food to do so. That little guy right there got my hobby engine burning again and is the reason I'm getting into Death Guard for the first time since 5th. Much like the Exorcist tank brought me into Sisters, this guy has been the bridge that has brought me into playing Nurgle-y heretics again.

Plus it may be the most adorable model GW has managed to produce so far. So there is that too.