Raven Guard Resolutions

Cordova

So, I played the Tau.

I couldn't figure out my list fully in time, so I took my filthy (trusty) Eldar instead. It was an horrific game - 3 Riptides makes me want to punch people. So much for friendly.

I managed a win, thanks to rolling hot on Smite etc, but it really hammered home 2 points for me.

1) I don't have enough indirect fire/large volume fire (drone removal etc)

2) I don't have a ready enough source of rapid mortal wounding.

So, I have turned back to the list-building drawing board. With rumours of a new August codex, however, I am loathe to commit to anything fully, but I am feeling that dropping Issodon and taking a Phobos Captain - for the anti-infiltrate bubble. I'm gonna stick with Mephiston and Lemartes, for what they bring and stick in 2 Mortar Heavy Weapon squads. That leaves me 120 points to peruse.

That doesn't sound friendly at all <_<

But nor does pointy ears! :lol:

No it wasn't, hence why I also became unpleasant...

I think that I am gonna go for the Librarian, but we shall see. I have a more friendly game this weekend.

Side note: I need some conversion help. As has been noted by some, all my models need to link to my Chapter, or I go a bit wrong. E.g. the Blood Angels are all painted as Deathwatch Black shields, so they can do both...

I want to play some Custodes (also unfriendly) but I don't want to stamp on the lore of jetbikes being rare.

There are 2 lore snippets I could use. One is the failed experiments of Corax. With the Primaris occuring, I figure some old-marinea would try to convert but then go full on monster mode.

For this to work, however, I need the same size (ish). My initial thought are the crypt guys from AoS with wings. I can stick bits and bobs around them.

Option 2 is technological. I get some bigger dudes and ramp them up onto something. Initial thought is stormcasts with jump-packs, stood on bikes (ruins) to sort of give the illusion.

Any ideas for this? A bit of a project...

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

So, I have been a bit held up at the moment - I have sold my house, then lost my sale, living out of a suitcase, breaking my knee (literally) - which has held back my hobbying as everything is in storage...

But, I have cobbled up a couple of lists - I'd love some savage tearing apart before I work out what I can eventually put together.

First thought is, I may not go full RG, but use the Stealthy and Whirlwind of Rage traits...

++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [100 PL, -3CP, 1,750pts] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Chapter Master [6 PL, -2CP, 143pts]: Adamantine Mantle, Jump Pack, Shadowmaster, Storm shield, Stratagem: Chapter Master, Thunder hammer, Warlord

With a further -1 CP to give him Trifold Path, with either Imperium's Sword, or Swift and Deadly.

Librarian in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 101pts]: Camo cloak, Force sword

Lieutenants [5 PL, -1CP, 60pts]
Lieutenant: 2x Chainsword, Master of Ambush, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

Aggressor chaperone

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
4x Scout w/Boltgun

4x Scout w/Boltgun

Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat knife
4x Scout w/Combat Knife

Scout Squad [4 PL, 65pts]
Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle
4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Sniper rifle

Yup.

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [10 PL, 185pts]: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant
Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Yup.

Sternguard Veteran Squad [6 PL, 70pts]
Space Marine Veteran: Special issue boltgun
Veteran Sergeant
Special Issue Boltgun/Bolt Pistol

Sit at the back, as their longer range means anything that closes fast can be RFed quicker.

Vanguard Veteran Squad [7 PL, 85pts]: Jump Pack
Space Marine Veteran: 2x Chainsword
Veteran Sergeant: 2x Chainsword

Because Jump Packs and Chop.

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [5 PL, 80pts]: Jump Pack
4x Space Marine
Space Marine Sergeant: 2x Chainsword, Melta bombs

Tax, and also a utility group to grab.

Inceptor Squad [7 PL, 123pts]: Assault bolter x2, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

Squeeze a bit of Primaris.

Scout Bike Squad [3 PL, 69pts]
2x Scout Biker: 2x Twin boltgun
Scout Biker Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Twin boltgun

I like these guys.

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [6 PL, 165pts]
Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun
Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, 72pts]
Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak
2x Eliminator with Bolt Sniper: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator
4x Hellblaster
Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Yup.

---

Now I know that it isn't overly competitive, but there's a lot of layers to this one (in my opinion). Almost everything has either deployment shenanigans or I can faff with them - plus there are built in redundancies.

Any thoughts to help me find my hobby energy again...?

Looks good. Hiro also has a good Brigade list if you are looking for inspiration. I do have a few optimization suggestions:

1. Chapter Master's job is to undoubtedly hunt the big baddies. In this instance I would also Master Craft the Thunder Hammer as his relic. 
  2. If you give him Imperium's Sword as his base WL Trait, you can use the strategem to change out his other trait as the game suits
  3. Phobos LT with Ex Tenebris is very strong IF you have the points and IF you want to add more Primaris, highly recommend him
  4. Id consider at least 1 or 2 Storm Shields in the Vanguard Veterans just to give you the option to tank heavy weapons. Only 2-4 points is a steal.
  5. I'm a firm believer that Melta Bombs are trash this edition, id save the 5 points for something else
  6. Your scout biker sergeant should absolutely have a Storm Bolter for 2 points. Its a good chunk of firepower for little cost.
  7. Cherub on the devastator squad is quite value when it comes to Lascannons (and the Signum), if you have points after changes, this would be a good option.
Edited by Shadow Captain Vyper

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks good. Hiro also has a good Brigade list if you are looking for inspiration. I do have a few optimization suggestions:

1. Chapter Master's job is to undoubtedly hunt the big baddies. In this instance I would also Master Craft the Thunder Hammer as his relic. 
  2. If you give him Imperium's Sword as his base WL Trait, you can use the strategem to change out his other trait as the game suits I agree here, the only reason he has the Adamantine Mantle is that whilst him hitting hard can be huge, I find that having him potentially stick around has - at least where I play - been more useful (when he was a BA smash cap...)
  3. Phobos LT with Ex Tenebris is very strong IF you have the points and IF you want to add more Primaris, highly recommend him  Taken that on board.
  4. Id consider at least 1 or 2 Storm Shields in the Vanguard Veterans just to give you the option to tank heavy weapons. Only 2-4 points is a steal. True, and could be added, but points are tight as I am only going to 1750 with this.
  5. I'm a firm believer that Melta Bombs are trash this edition, id save the 5 points for something else Fair
  6. Your scout biker sergeant should absolutely have a Storm Bolter for 2 points. Its a good chunk of firepower for little cost. I forgot that, to be honest.
  7. Cherub on the devastator squad is quite value when it comes to Lascannons (and the Signum), if you have points after changes, this would be a good option.  True, but I had very few spare points.

Having read your comments and looked at Hiro's list and a few others, I have a new idea, that tweaks it a bit.

++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [98 PL, -4CP, 1,713pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chapter Master [6 PL, -2CP, 143pts]: Adamantine Mantle, Jump Pack, Storm shield, Stratagem: Chapter Master, The Imperium's Sword, Thunder hammer, Warlord

Librarian in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 101pts]: Camo cloak, Force sword

Lieutenants in Phobos Armor [5 PL, -1CP, 81pts]
Lieutenant in Phobos Armour: Ex Tenebris, Master of Ambush, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter
Occulus Bolt Carbine and Bolt Pistol: Grav-chute, Master-crafted occulus bolt rifle

+ Troops +

4x Scout w/Boltgun

4x Scout w/Boltgun

Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat knife
4x Scout w/Combat Knife

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [10 PL, 185pts]: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant
Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Invictor Tactical Warsuit [6 PL, 131pts]: Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy bolter, Incendium cannon, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubber

Vanguard Veteran Squad [7 PL, 85pts]: Jump Pack
Veteran Sergeant: 2x Chainsword

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [5 PL, 80pts]: Jump Pack
4x Space Marine
Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

Inceptor Squad [7 PL, 123pts]: Assault bolter x2, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

Scout Bike Squad [7 PL, 115pts]
4x Scout Biker: 4x Twin boltgun
Scout Biker Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Twin boltgun

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator
4x Hellblaster
Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

--

It is 37 points shy of 1750.

I dropped the Lascannons - whilst this puts me at an AT disadvantage, I have added the Invictus, which I think adds a bit more early pressure to an opponent. It also freed up points to up the number of scout bikers, giving me a strong T2 punch when they arrive in Tactical Doctrine.

I could add in another Aggressor and with them, careful placement and the Cap, I should be able to slap some vehicles - especially if I go Whirlwind of Rage for those bonus hits.

Knights etc could cause me some issues as I have nothing big though.

• 2 months later...

med_gallery_68825_13508_40999.jpg

med_gallery_68825_13508_259315.jpg

Well, it's been a very long time, due to failed house moves, injuries and living from a suitcase, but I have been able to get a bit of paint on a few models.

They're not great, but at least I can get them on the table-top. Seems like a good way to start the year, and if I do get to move house next year, it'll be a good place to start from.

Have a good New Year y'all.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late but I will chime in. 

My resolution for the 2020 is to complete the challenge of my gameclub, which is painting and basing and playing 2000 points of Raven Guard. We are doing this by painting one unit each month and currently I have on my table one squad of Intercessors and one of Infiltrators. 

For Corax, 2000 points will be done by the end of 2020!

• 2 months later...

I officially have one scout squad and one Eliminator squad to finish my Dark Eagles. .. until I buy more...

So with that, and the current situation, I may have some time on my hands.

As a result, I have a new project...

I want to paint a unit for each successor Chapter (plus some of my own) to make a Brigade with just Primaris marines. I have done 3 of them, and when I have my camera back I will update you all, but it leads me to a question. Is there anyone here who would be able to help me source the decals for them? I know they exist in pdf on this site, bit I don't have access to a printer (I refer to current global events) and wondered if anyone could assist? I'd reimburse costs etc.

Thanks guys

If it's possible to get image files you could send them off to a decal maker to setup and print. I just did this with Bedlam Creations: https://www.bedlamcreations.com/

Josh was great to work with. I actually did my own setup to save a few bucks and my sheet should be arriving in the next week or two.

Getting the images will allow you to print a sheet with several of what you need and then you don't have to worry about getting a sheet here or pay for too many transfers there.

• 2 weeks later...

So. Being on lockdown has forced my productivity to improve...

I have finished a force of Deathwatch and been able to finalise the last members of my Dark Eagle force...

Apologies for the dodgy photos, but here are the last 3 Eliminators and 10 Intercessors.

gallery_68825_13508_257134.jpg

Yes, they look awesome!

I can't wait to hear the lame excuses for having unpainted minis after the quarantine and curfews are over. I still go to work, have a wife and infant twins at home, and I still get in at least an hour of hobby time. Sleep is over rated anyway.

I can't wait to hear the lame excuses for having unpainted minis after the quarantine and curfews are over.

Three letters - ETL.

It's my intention to have enough unpainted minis ready until the event starts, so I'll spend lockdown with building stuff. :biggrin.:

I can't wait to hear the lame excuses for having unpainted minis after the quarantine and curfews are over.

Three letters - ETL.

It's my intention to have enough unpainted minis ready until the event starts, so I'll spend lockdown with building stuff. :biggrin.:

I meant bringing unpainted models to a game.

I agree, but I think we're still going to see unpainted armies on tables :(

Luckily my FLGS is skewed more towards casual play and good hobby so we've got a lot of painted armies at any given time. I think seeing the painted armies really helps encourage others to paint their own as well.

Luckily my FLGS is skewed more towards casual play and good hobby so we've got a lot of painted armies at any given time. I think seeing the painted armies really helps encourage others to paint their own as well.

I am usually the host for my group and I agree. I have 3 fully painted armies and 2 more at about 70% that I aim to complete - that way you can play drop in games with fully painted armies. So much better, in my opinion.

Yeah, fully painted is pretty much the standard in my FLGS, except for a handful of people who don't ever pick up a brush, or do anything productive with it once they actually pick it up. And the two or three "tournament" gamers who don't care about that.

Since I've reduced my projects to two active ones (AdMech/Knights and Raptors), I have more than enough selection when it comes to fully painted. Anything I'm adding will be painted before hitting the table. Meaning I have more wiggle room when it comes to events like ETL and Armies on Parade.

So, on the Bank Holiday today, I decided to photograph what I could of my army with the dodgy set up I have here...

About 5,000 points worth - the 3rd Company with elements of the 10th, 1st and Primaris reinforcements. (Whilst the Dark Eagles are usually olive green, they are a Successor of the Raven Guard so I felt that pragmatism would rule and as my army mainly fights in city terrain, I made them grey...)

med_gallery_68825_13508_82759.jpg

med_gallery_68825_13508_396990.jpg

med_gallery_68825_13508_293537.jpg

med_gallery_68825_13508_689859.jpg

med_gallery_68825_13508_988536.jpg

med_gallery_68825_13508_415153.jpg

So yeah, there we go...

Edited by Cordova