Raven Guard Resolutions

Cordova

Well today the Phobos Captain that my friend fields earned his second Battle Scar which means that he is eligible to become a Dreadnought.

I guess I have to order, build and paint a Relic Contemptor Dreadnought. Now he only has to figure out which weapons does he want. 

• 2 months later...

Been a hell of a delay, but with all that's going on, I've really lost mojo.

Not being able to play has really dampened my enthusiasm, but I'm slowly pulling myself out of it. I've nearly got a 2,000 point list I'm pleased with, and the aim is to then get all that done by the end of January, so (hopefully) when I get a chance, I have an army ready to go...

So, here are the latest dudes, a second squad of Incursors.

med_gallery_68825_14980_227825.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I've been particularly gutted about not being able to play Crusade this edition. I was talking to someone through Twitter, and they mentioned using something like Zombicide to play solo. So I took that, and thought why not adapt Blackstone?

I've played a couple of skirmishes with a squad of Incursors Vs various enemies, and it has been great fun! It needs some creative thinking, but my juices are flowing again!

Here's some images from it ( ignore the unpainted Blackstone dudes...)

This was a squad of 5 Incursors Vs 14 guardsmen and 4 Beastmen. It was close.

Entering the facility.

med_gallery_68825_13508_448320.jpg

It all starts getting messy.

med_gallery_68825_13508_680610.jpg

One Incursor stands.

med_gallery_68825_13508_732129.jpg

Until I can play a proper series of games, this is scratching the itch. Plus, I'm counting it for Crusade missions.

Feeling a bit more positive about the hobby slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

So, as the world continues its relentless march to chaos, I thought that I would try to sort a list to build towards. It may not be the best, but it fits my play style and the models I have... that said, any thoughts?

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Raven Guard) [98 PL, 9CP, 1,998pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**: Born Heroes , Hungry for Battle, Raven Guard Successor

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, -1CP, 130pts]: Adamantine Mantle, Jump Pack, Plasma pistol, Stratagem: Master of the Trifold Path, Swift and Deadly, The Imperium's Sword, Thunder hammer, Warlord

Primaris Chaplain [6 PL, -1CP, 110pts]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 3. Exhortation of Rage, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Master of Ambush, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Troops +

Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades

. Incursor Sergeant

. 4x Incursor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades

. Incursor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 220pts]: Bolt rifle

. 9x Intercessor: 9x Bolt pistol, 9x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant: Thunder hammer

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 140pts]

. 3x Bladeguard Veteran: 3x Frag & Krak grenades, 3x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 3x Master-crafted power sword, 3x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Centurion Assault Squad [9 PL, 195pts]

. Centurion: Hurricane bolter

. . Flamers

. . Flamers

. Centurion Sergeant: Hurricane bolter

. . Flamers

Primaris Apothecary [5 PL, -1CP, 95pts]: Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 298pts]: Jump Pack

. Vanguard Veteran: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [6 PL, 150pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

Inceptor Squad [6 PL, 150pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Bolt sniper rifle

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle

. 2x Eliminators: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Camo cloak, 2x Frag & Krak grenades

Eradicator Squad [6 PL, 120pts]: Melta rifle

. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [98 PL, 9CP, 1,998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Looks good. Will fly as far as the pilot takes it I think. Has many similarities to the Primaris List I’m running/tweaking.

You look light on ObSec, but I’ve been using Eliminators in my backfield for that and it’s only been a issue late game. It’s kind of thing that concerns me against better tooled up list.

I know it’s ery much a melee game right now and when the new Ork, Demon and Tyranid codexes come out I think we see a meta change that will need lots of dakka.

That Vanguard is one big nasty unit. Thankfully no Haywire Mines. My God what an awful nerf that was.

I think you're right, re. a meta shift to dakka, and if that occurs, the VV will be part of the first cull, sadly.

I had thought of cutting the intercessors to a 5 man, to sit in backfield, and taking some infiltrators for ObSec early doors...however, I haven't played a lot with them, any thoughts?

Not a fan of Infiltrators, I use Incursors for early T1 ObSec. I also infiltrate my Bladeguard as their ObSec companions. If I set it up right the Bladeguard take hit and the Incursors score me VP.

I've been using 2 units of Eliminators quite a bit for backfield Objectives. It's been rare so far when I need to bring any of my reserves to provide them support. My experience so far is we can put a lot of pressure on early and opponents are generally reacting instead of trying to but my backfield apart.

Rule of Thumb:

10% to hold the backfield

75% to fight midfield

15% as a ready reserve, preferably for Deploy Scramblers and Engage on All Fronts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have finally managed to play some games! 

Both on Tabletop Simulator, so the itch is scratched but not fully dealt with.

I played a friend's Eldar twice. He has been playing tournaments too... I used the list above the first time and got pasted. I forgot pretty much everything, e.g. Chaplain litanies, to infiltrate the Centurions, and above all I forgot the entire unit of Inceptors.

Anyway, second game, I tweaked it up a bit. I swapped the Intercessors for a third squad of Incursors, made the Captain a Chapter Master and gave all the VV stormshields and claws.

He had a bunch of Wraithblades, Shining Spears and transports, so was very durable.

I won by 5 VP, purely through early game objective grabbing.  The Chapter Master killed a unit of Shining Spears in T1, but then I had left him abandoned so he was shot to pieces, which sort of wasted him.  I'm thinking that maybe I drop Imperium's Sword, and give him just Swift and Deadly, so he can hit quickly and the Trifold can go to the Chaplain perhaps.   Also, despite the VV having shields, they just got swamped. 

Not sold on the Eradicators either, they haven't achieved a lot yet as he just avoids them - which was useful in forcing his hand for deployment, but they're petty expensive for just that.

• 2 weeks later...

Got another game or two coming up next weekend, now I have finally got Tabletop SIM working...

I'm still stuck on my list. I've trimmed it a bit, but I'm short 100 or so points. Any ideas...??

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Raven Guard) [91 PL, 9CP, 1,863pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**: Born Heroes , Hungry for Battle, Raven Guard Successor

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, -1CP, 130pts]: Adamantine Mantle, Jump Pack, Plasma pistol, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Swift and Deadly, Thunder hammer

Primaris Chaplain [6 PL, -1CP, 110pts]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 3. Exhortation of Rage, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Master of Ambush, Stratagem: Master of the Trifold Path, Warlord, Wise Orator

+ Troops +

. Incursor Sergeant

. Incursor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Stalker Bolt Rifle

. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 210pts]

. 5x Bladeguard Veteran: 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 5x Master-crafted power sword, 5x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Centurion Assault Squad [9 PL, 195pts]

. . Flamers

. . Flamers

. Centurion Sergeant: Hurricane bolter

. . Flamers

Primaris Apothecary [5 PL, -1CP, 95pts]: Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 313pts]: Jump Pack

. Vanguard Veteran: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

. Vanguard Veteran: Power fist, Storm shield

. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [14 PL, 275pts]: 4x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 135pts]: Melta rifle

. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [91 PL, 9CP, 1,863pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

So for 100-ish points I'd suggest considering the following:

• a tactical squad with grav cannon and amp, chainsword on the sergeant (100 points) or the same with storm-bolter on the sergeant (105 points) or put a storm bolter or combi-plasma and power fist on him (115 or 125 points). Great for sitting towards the front of your deployment zone. Grav cannons are great against t5, have the same range as the bolters. You can preserve the shooting damage output by losing normal tactical marines. Melee not great, but I find this configuration (I usually go the 100 or 105 point options) very efficient and often over-looked by opponents. You could sit it with your stalker bolter intercessors, or eliminators.
  • A lieutenant. Option 1: phobos Lt + spend space points on comms arrays to give re-roll 1s to wound to your phobos units, then sit it near the eliminators with ex-tenerbis for a very nice sniper unit. Option 2: normal Lt with jump pack, relic melee weapon of choice to run around with VVs (but given the amount of LCs, the re-roll 1s to wound wouldn't give that much of a boost) Option 3: Indomitus Lt (one with storm shield, sword and volkite pistol) to run around with the BGVs.
  • A couple of small squads of company veterans with storm shield and combi-melta/plasma. Great for grabbing objectives, performing actions. Alternatively, take a squad of 5 and give one guy a grav cannon and amp + storm shield (yes, yes you can! :biggrin.:) for a super-durable, hart to shift-shooting unit. I like having 2-3 with storm shields, and mixing some combi-weapons, melee weapons and one heavy weapon.
  • For 137 points you could also get a twin-las Razorback with storm bolter and HK-missile. In my experience, these are underrated units. You can do some nifty LOS-blocking with them, and they do decent work if given a chance. That said, your opponent must ignore them at their own peril :)

Finally, and not least of all, a whirlwind. Why? The suppression fire strategem:

Use this Stratagem in your Shooting phase, when a WHIRLWIND model from your army is selected to shoot. Until the end of the phase, each time that model makes an attack with a weapon that has the Blast ability, if a hit is scored for that attack, then until the start of your next turn the target cannot fire Overwatch or Set to Defend, and cannot be selected to fight until all eligible units from your army have done so.

Great for stopping any nasty melee units from being able to resist your BGV or VVs. Shoot them with a whirlwind, charge. Then in your opponent's turn, they have to deal with your BGVs or VVs fighting that nasty melee unit after they have fought. Very nice.

@Xeondragon

@Cordova

Really good suggestions! I would suggest either the aforementioned Whirlwind (125-135p), because of that amazing stratagem. Or something that I have been looking into: A Reiver lieutenant (75p) to get access to the Terror troops and Shock and awe -stratagems. With this you would also have points for a unit of Company Veterans.

The Whirlwind could be a good choice to complement your list (that stratagem support would do well against nasty CC bombs). I had one in my list before I changed my list to a Battalion (from Patrol+Vanguard cause I ran out CP). My current list has the Reiver lieutenant as my Master of Ambush -hero to guarantee he's in the thick of things straight from the beginning.

Raven Guard 5th

Adeptus Astartes - Strike Force - Grand Tournament ( 7CP - 1999PT - 1PT )

Adeptus Astartes Battalion Detachment ( 3CP - 1999PT )

SUB-FACTION: Raven Guard

HQ

Kayvaan Shrike (135)

Lieutenant in Reiver Armour (75)

TRAITS: Master of Ambush

RELICS: Artificer Armour (Raven Guard)

STRATAGEMS: Relic of the Chapter

Hero of the Chapter

WARLORD: Primaris Chaplain on Bike (140)

UPGRADE: Master of Sanctity

TRAITS: Rites of War (Aura), Swift and Deadly (Aura)

LITANIES: Canticle of Hate (Aura), Exhortation of Rage (Aura), Litany of Hate

RELICS: Adamantine Mantle (Raven Guard)

STRATAGEMS: Master of the Trifold Path

TROOPS

Assault Intercessor Squad (95)

1x Assault Intercessor Sergeant

4x Assault Intercessor

Heavy Intercessor Squad (140)

1x Heavy Intercessor Sergeant: Executor bolt rifle

4x Heavy Intercessor: Executor bolt rifle

RELICS: Korvidari Bolts

STRATAGEMS: Favour of the Ravenspire

Infiltrator Squad (130)

1x Infiltrator: Helix gauntlet

1x Infiltrator Sergeant

3x Infiltrator

ELITES

Bladeguard Veteran Squad (175)

1x Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant

4x Bladeguard Veteran

Centurion Assault Squad (185)

1x Assault Centurion: Hurricane bolter

1x Assault Centurion

1x Assault Centurion Sergeant: Hurricane bolter

Company Veterans (51)

1x Company Veteran: Astartes chainsword, Storm shield

1x Company Veteran Sergeant: Lightning claw, Storm shield

Primaris Apothecary (95)

UPGRADE: Chief Apothecary

TRAITS: Selfless Healer

STRATAGEMS: Hero of the Chapter

Redemptor Dreadnought (185) 2x Storm bolter, Icarus rocket pod, Macro plasma incinerator, Onslaught gatling cannon

Vanguard Veteran Squad (263)

1x Vanguard Veteran: Lightning claw, Jump pack, Storm shield

1x Vanguard Veteran: Thunder hammer, Jump pack, Storm shield

1x Vanguard Veteran: Power fist, Jump pack, Storm shield

1x Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Relic blade, Jump pack, Storm shield

2x Vanguard Veteran: Thunder hammer, Jump pack, Storm shield

FAST ATTACK

Attack Bike Squad (110)

2x Attack Bike : Multi-melta

Inceptor Squad (220)

1x Inceptor Sergeant: 2x Plasma exterminator

3x Inceptor: 2x Plasma exterminator

STRATAGEMS

Favour of the Ravenspire (1CP)

Hero of the Chapter (1CP)

Hero of the Chapter (1CP)

Master of the Trifold Path (1CP)

Relic of the Chapter (1CP)

Total Command Points: 7/12

Reinforcement Points: 1

Total Points: 1999/2000

Edited by Jaipii

Nice ideas, guys. Thank you.

I'm going to have a bit of a think and dig around...

Now, this next one is me possibly being dense.

As I mentioned, I have played 2 games of 9th. My brain has melted, so a quick rules job:

If it says 'unmodified role of a 6' (e.g. for sniper weapons) does this mean just a 6, or if there is a +1 then a 5 would count?

The friend I was playing said to me that another person he played was convinced it was the latter. I, however, thought it would be the former: it is literally only on a 6? A 5 +1 counts as a 6, but isn't unmodified...surely?

An 'unmodified roll of 6' is exactly as you see it. Only a 6 will do. The confusion might be caused by the 8th ed. Codex where sniper weapons (for example Eliminator bolt rifle) it said 'on a roll of 6+'. This one benefited from +1 to wound making a roll of 5 +1 to count as 6+. :)

@Xeondragon

@Cordova

Really good suggestions! I would suggest either the aforementioned Whirlwind (125-135p), because of that amazing stratagem. Or something that I have been looking into: A Reiver lieutenant (75p) to get access to the Terror troops and Shock and awe -stratagems. With this you would also have points for a unit of Company Veterans.

The Whirlwind could be a good choice to complement your list (that stratagem support would do well against nasty CC bombs). I had one in my list before I changed my list to a Battalion (from Patrol+Vanguard cause I ran out CP). My current list has the Reiver lieutenant as my Master of Ambush -hero to guarantee he's in the thick of things straight from the beginning.

Raven Guard 5th

Adeptus Astartes - Strike Force - Grand Tournament ( 7CP - 1999PT - 1PT )

Adeptus Astartes Battalion Detachment ( 3CP - 1999PT )

SUB-FACTION: Raven Guard

HQ

Kayvaan Shrike (135)

Lieutenant in Reiver Armour (75)

TRAITS: Master of Ambush

RELICS: Artificer Armour (Raven Guard)

STRATAGEMS: Relic of the Chapter

Hero of the Chapter

[...]

That's a cool list. I'm curious though, why not use the Armor Indomitus on the Reiver Lieutenant? Gives him +1 W and once per battle Invulnerable Save on top of the bump to 2+ armour save. If you place him correctly, I'm guessing he could get by without the 5++ form the Artificer Armour in most games but you still get to hype his Invulnerable save when you really need him to survive a tough shooting/fight phase.

Just food for thought.

@jpwyrm

That is a good suggestion that I will try out. The Reiver Lt is still only theoryhammer, I haven't yet got any games with him. My thought was that always on 5++ would be better than one phase of 3++, but your suggestion rings truth that I might get by without the 5++ most of the time. In that case +1 W and one phase of 3++ save would win. Thanks! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Managed to play another game Vs Orks.

Used the list above but added some bolter Inceptors. They worked a treat. I am really not sold on Eradicators though, they have done very little in the games I've played, either poor rolls, or they've been targeted, or neutered by invun saves etc.

Anyone have any tips for them, or alternative anti-tank?

SftS your Eradicators with a deep striking unit of Inceptors (preferably Plasma but Bolters are good too) and a Chapter Master. The Inceptors handle the “soft” screens. The Eradicators take out the hard cases. I’ve had a lot of good results with that or a variant of it using Aggressors and Eradicators. Except versus players that are savvy at screening in front and blocking out possible landing zones. Not a lot of armies have the bodies.

Are you using the Gravis Armor strat that gives them a 2+ save? 1+ when in cover of course. It’s not as widely used as Transhuman so I think some folks forget about it.

Edited by Dracos