Torbenos' Wardens of the Eastern Fringe

Torbenos

Howdy so decided to make a thread here to hopefully help me motivate myself to get painting on my stuff. I've made that age old promise to myself to not start anything new big before I've painted what I have. (Which we never keep but what can you do.) Been starting to eye some other armies so need to get this thing going, so far with a little luck.

So for now I am gonna be working on some 5th Company Ultramarines with the usual 1st Company additions of terminators and so forth, but mainly 5th Company is the idea. To have some photos on offer I have a few which are largely done lacking decals and the eyes turned out poorly on a few as I tried a new technique that ended up too dark. Also have a few pictures on offer from my last game.

First are a few from when I first started trying to paint properly like two yeara ago before a long break.

ehmURQs.jpg

MWhZ9qd.jpg

gHW4O15.jpg

Frm9nT6.jpg

B8MNSED.jpg

And a few weeks ago I started painting a little again and among other things decided I am gonna go with just bolter armed Sergeants for most of my marines atleast, so did the first of those and some more dudes.

6LuWzCq.jpg

xzxbBO5.jpg

l5HNNkJ.jpg

iKY2hsb.jpg

Tried for a new technique with the eyes mostly consisting of using Bloodletter Glaze but it has turned out quite dark, so might try and go for the simple bright red colors straight on again. Hopefully they are improved although the thing I know I need to dare into is highlighting which is currently utterly lacking with these. Just need to find that bravery to make ugly lines to start with.

Also put together the next Sergeant.

j19wX34.jpg

And just because I find it lovely, a friend of mine painted up the company banner when I first started.

IKegQfn.jpg

Edited by Torbenos

Also have some pictures from my last battle where my friend who plays Hive Fleet Leviathan had a game, our first go with Open War cards and my fourth game of 8th edition overall. We ended up with the Fields of Glory and The Prize cards with the deployment where one is in the center of the board and the other can deploy from all sides. With a whopping 3 out of 4 objective markets ending up in the middle, one being The Prize I quickly felt a bit of a narrative being made of a desperate last stand.

Vertigo Delta is a planet of little renown to the Imperium at large, once a colony world it was left abbandoned centuries ago following changes in climate that left the world a warm desert suffering from terrible sand storms making it unhospitable for mankind. But it was here a Strike Force consisting of elements from the 2nd and 5th Company of the Ultramarines struck out against a splinter from Hive Fleet Leviathon. As the Tyranids feasted upon this deserted world they struck against the fleet, and following a bloody boarding action infiltrated one of the ships and managed to gain a genetic sample from the Norn-Queen, with which they believed could gain them the means to strike back at it in truth before they reached further into Imperial Space. It was as their ship sped back towards the Battle Barge trading blows to distract the Tyranids that disaster struck and they were shot down, forced to do an emergency landing down on the planet.

Once they made landfall the Strike Force gathered what was left from the wreckage and pinpointed a defensive position among some old ruins ravaged by sand storms and set up a perimiter knowing there was only a matter of time before the Tyranids were upon them. Captain Galen swiftly seized command and managed to contact the Battle Barge and two squads of Terminators from the 1st Company were set at the ready to teleport down and reinforce their defense even as a Stormraven Gunship was sent to lend air support and retrive the genetic sample were things to turn for the worse.

9IBG8bO.jpg

The Tactical Squad claimed the highground while Predetor and Honorable Brothers stood watch waiting for the swarm to arrive, and even as they began to crawl over the horizon came the thunderous arrival of the Stormraven, and seeing the odds set up against them it was decided to embark the genetic sample into the cargohold. It was perhaps this that managed to grant the initative to the swarm, allowing them to charge forward before a solid volley of bolterfire found their twisted and wicked alien flesh.

bJ5QxdG.jpg

Strange mines made of flesh and spores drifted in the air slowly towards the blessed Land Raider which had survived the wreck and brought the strike force to this position, even as the looming Hive Tyrant charged out after them to assault the Ulramarines backfield even as the swarm skittered forward to overwhelm the front. The firepower of the Tyranids focused upon the holy armour of the Land Raider, psychic might and volleys of bombardent from the Biovores and Exocrine battered against it, slowly melting down the thick armour while a screeching Hive Crone sped towards the Stormraven, its prey in sight.

rnLe6Nr.jpg

The toxic spores from the Tyranids managed to clog and corrupt the holy machines of the Land Raider, forcing the brothers within to disembark only to come face to face with the terrible Hive Tyrant who cut down two of them in a flurry of bladed limbs. Meanwhile the swarm marched forth over the dunes, a murder of gargoyles crashing into Honorable Brother Matheus whose adamantium limbs tore them apart with ease even as they scratched against his thick armour.

OS9Y3ne.jpg

4GEmuwt.jpg

Swarms of Ripper organisms climbed atop of the hull of the Predetor, distracting the occupants from giving supportive fire even as the dunes around it became filled with worse monsters yet. The Stormraven sped away from the claws of the Crone and a combined volley of fire from the gunship together with most of the arnaments of the Tactical Marines laid the creature low as the ship made to depart the field of battle. Within the defensive position things began to look grim as a brood of genestalers leapt into the ruins followed by a Broodlord.

8HEarVy.jpg

Honored Brother Matheus turned his assault cannon upon the foe, standing on the crushed bodies of the gargoyles but soon found himself utterly surrounded by the aliens. Weighed down and outnumbered he still managed to crush the wretched heads of several Tyranid Warriors while standing tall, but he would not manage to endure such an onslaught for long. The Tyranids artillery opened fire oncemore, now at the fleeing Stormraven carrying the all-important prize almost managing to bring it low, even as its heavy guns thinned the herd of the swarms hounding towards the Space Marines still holding.

FXYj4SL.jpg

Even as the Genestalers were slaughtering their way through the ranks of his battle-brothers Captain Galen at last sent the message to the Battle-Barge above, and two squads of Terminators teleported down upon the surface. The assault group by the Tyranid backlines with their hammers set for the towering Exocrine and the rest of the bio-artillery while the other made to flank the Genestaler brood only to be met by its Broodlord.

It was a terrible loss in the end with Lieutenant Grachus gravely wounded, Land Raider and Honorable Brother Matheus lost to the alien that the Ultramarines retreated having to leave a sizeable amount of the prize behind, to be devoured by the swarm. The Stormraven, smoking and barely finding air sped through the atmosphere with the hope that what they managed to claim would be enough to find something, something to halt the advance of the Tyranids.

Thank you Armament, they are quite fun although the Tyranid threat continues to push us back again and again so far.

A fan of the Roman aspects of the Ultramarines, although I sometimes flirt with the idea of doing my own chapter and take more heavily from those influences. Perhaps one day.

Edited by Torbenos

I agree with Sagentus, the daemonkin look good, especially the converted berserker. With how nice they are in 8th, age of the existing kit is doubly painful. I like your Juggerlord and hope he does better for you in 8th than mine has so far.

Liking your daemonkin, as has been said the jugger lord is still valid. with the soon to be released daemon codex, we will be able to mix up khorne daemons and csm with good results on the table top ;-)

I'd like to see more synergy between CSM and daemons but from the Indices and CSM codex, it looks like the only units that benefit from Daemon key words are the Daemon Prince and Possessed (and the CSM prince can buff Daemons).

I was a little surprised they do seem to have scrapped Khorne Daemonkin entierly based on the fact they are described in the CSM codex while Thousand Sons aren't which obviously hints at a future codex for them. Perhaps it was the fact Daemonkin didn't introduce a new miniature line or something like that? Can just hope we'll get some Khorne spesific shenanigans in the future maybe.

Edited by Torbenos

Only had some limited time to hobby these last few days, been slapping some paint into some of the terrain as that is one part I feel is lacking in my games. In particular I am after getting some verticality working, I always feel that does add quite a lot to the games. Been lending some thoughts to maybe trying out some Heralds of Ruin or some other form of skirmish Warhammer 40.000 which always does demand even more terrain to make things intresting. Regardless what I got done did not add so much to verticality, the iconic space marine statue from GWs terrain sets.

W7g79ge.jpg

Managed to find some more hobby time today with a friend, ended up wanting to do something different so gave greenstuff a go for the first time ever with some tentalces as I slapped together some horribly deformed mutants. Is a mixture of some Ork, Possessed and Blood Throne pieces into something which looks a bit more crazy than I am used to, but works well enough for the warped and daemonic I suppose.

EN2X5H5.jpg

9ByRprj.jpg

Got to some hobbying again, I seem to have managed to create a habbit with a friend of sitting down and painting a few times a week now which is quite welcome a change. Started as a Fantasy project, but so far it seems he's the slow one of us by a mile so recently been painting some of my Warhammer 40.000 during the sessions too. The Sergeant seen above has had some paint slapped on him and now looks passable for play although I can always see tiny errors I left around, and I am still mostly not highlighting although some small pratice was had on the strap for the bolter.

rycL5db.jpg

My trend of finding some time to hobby continues although I have run into the eternal struggle that is running out of primer which is gonna hold me back a little bit on the new stuff. Been perusing a few very inspirational blogs, in particular Iron Sleet which I reccomend everyone give a look to. Came upon a conversion there I quite liked making use of the Chaos Warrior body, always popular and some scout parts and made my own pale imitation of it.

YLJmp9e.jpg

The hope is that the bionic eye, the shotgun and the modified powerpack manages to make the miniature a bit more strikingly sci-fi than the body would suggest. I am fairly happy with it although my greenstuffing remains horrendeous. I figure the miniature will work well in some sort of warband, maybe a Inquisitorial henchman, chaos cultist champion or something like that. 

Beyond this I've also been looking at some more chaos stuff and I was wondering, in 8th edition is there any point at all in a warrior duel wielding weapons? I've an idea for a slaanesh champion who uses two power swords. Does that actually mechnically do anything now?

After some discussions with friends I've been looking a little at trying out a DIY Chapter more heavily set on the Roman themes than the Ultramarines to also give myself a bit more freedom. On the subject of color I first went, of course to the red and gold as those are the most prominent Roman themes and second to the purple which is popular culture has come to be associated with the praetorians to stand out a little bit. The current idea would be for the main Chapter to be red and gold, with the First Company taking on the praetorian purple. Did a mock up of the chemes I had in mind on B&Cs template.

sm.png

sm.png

Dug up an old Assault Marine miniature which was kinda messed up with the primer to try it out on, the red that is as I currently lack the colours for purple.

VZ0bVMy.jpg

IGHRxOJ.jpg

I'm not all too happy with it, much more working with metalics than I have in the past. But the color scheme itself seems okay although a brigher gold I believe may be adviseable. I've a concern it is too similar to the Blood Angels and may cause some confusion there, as I do intend for them to be an Ultramarine successor in which case the pruple theme might be best suited for the chapter as a whole.

Critique or suggestions for how to improve these ideas or other schemes that might be even better suited are quite welcome.

• 2 months later...

After a bit of a hiatus I've returned to the Ultramarine project for a bit. That old resin set containing the four Space Marine Captains has been lying around forever in a drawer here so brought one up to put some paint on. Had to change base to the new size which created some issues that'll be filled in with basing hopefully. Just gotten to the state I find the most frustrating where there are some tiny errors left which I feel risk just creating more errors to fix. Nooks and crannies painting and so on.

I tried to do a similar effect as I did on the blue power sword above but using the bloodletter glaze for contrast, sadly mostly just turned out as if I had painted it straight orange rather than the icy effect over white.

Qen5Tpo.jpg

Edited by Torbenos

Picked up an old librarian next who was primed white years ago. I need to remind myself to not prime models with a lot of details white, the fact that every spot you miss shines through makes it very tedious. A painting in process picture below. I seem to have a problem that all my paints seem very glossy when I take pictures, any ideas why that might be? And if anyone has any general advice regarding more muted colours I am all ears.

0rNck9m.jpg

Got myself down to cut a little today and worked on some simple conversions, made something akin to a warrior acolyte to join ranks with the shoutgun wielding brute seen above. It's really inspiring to see people work with their Inquisition projects I believe it seems to be called generally? It's quite fun to try and put together something outside of the usual instructions, a bit like proper lego playing back in my childhood.

So for the new guy.

jDAlmH5.jpg

UsSMsCn.jpg

I am a little unsure if I managed to Warhammer 40.000 him up enough from his Warhammer Fantasy base. The pouched, grenade and relic on the back helps but are not very visible on the front. The lascarbine takes up most of the space on the front, so did not have much I could put on there. I am semi-considering maybe trying to find some head with bionics akin to the shotgun fellow, but wouldn't want them all to have too similar heads.

Thoughts? 

Edited by Torbenos

I think he looks plenty 40k enough. Great work there. Really liking the captain and the lib, ive never undercoated with white, but i can understand it being a pain when painting dark colours ontop of it.

Look forward to seeing more :-)

I think he looks plenty 40k enough. Great work there. Really liking the captain and the lib, ive never undercoated with white, but i can understand it being a pain when painting dark colours ontop of it.

Look forward to seeing more :-)

Thanks, trying to squeeze in an hour every night for now. The Librarian keeps bugging me a bit so enjoying myself cutting and putting together things, still very basic but liking it.

Took a pair of legs from the Grave Guard set and cut off the bone bits, then used greenstuff to fill in the pelvis and fit a Greatsword chestpice on top. Proportions might be a little off, but I think it works alright. Slapped on the last of the lasgun arms bits I have, and now contemplating how to 40k him up. Put in an order for some bitz too, so have a bunch of backpacks among other things coming in.

C3mZfk4.jpg

Edited by Torbenos

My attempts to hobby everyday continues, put in an order for some more spray to I can get to painting some of the new ones soon together with scions and genestealer hybrids, seeing what people do with those miner suits is quite neat. Also an order of some bitz to make my henchmen more fancy. Today I managed some more paint on the librarian, waiting for some colours in that order to try and finish the force staff.

XxGLqvj.jpg

Also the guy from the last post has gotten himself a head, after I did a quick headswap with my friend who had some OOP Knights of the Wolf from WHFB. 

vyVfxrx.jpg

Glorious progress.

Edited by Torbenos

Work on my Inquisitor Acolyte continues.

Odz8Id4.jpg

LXoeBrZ.jpg

I'm starting to envision a story of a man taken from a Feudal World fallen to the archenemy, or perhaps a Lord who has lost his Knight and now follows an inquisitor with the promise of retribution and repairment. The cherub something akin of a page to this noble soul.

Digging down into my Chaos repertoire again to find my Khorne Daemon Prince. I feel I managed the skin well enough, but the work on the sword went so so. Still need some details on the front and maybe something to make the base a bit more intresting. But playable for now. 

eTsE4Ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I've signed up for my first ETL and vowed for the Adeptus Astartes.

I Torbenos rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX for the glory of the Ultramarines and vow to complete 2 Captains,, 5 Bikers and one Stormtalon Gunship of total value 581 points on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end. For the Primarch and the Imperium.

Captain 74, Thunderhammer 21, Stormshield 15, Total:110
Captain 74, Thunderhammer 21, MC Boltgun 3, Total:98
x5 Bike 125, Combi-Melta 19, x2 Meltagun 34, Total:178
Stormtalon 110, TL Assault Cannon 35, Typhoon Missile Launcher 50, Total:195
Total:581

bJJ0Dee.jpg

6f9tWKa.jpg

2TNRGRi.jpg

Already made some progress onto that initial vow to reinforce my 5th Company. I've learned I love the boxy nature of space marine vehicles and I despised painting the bikes. But that might've been because they had been primed poorly beforehand and I just primed over it again. Not sure if I'll count them as "done" yet. Could do with some highlights and decals, but I am quite happy with the Stormraven. 

lMIJH2M.jpg

j56W2XJ.jpg

Might look at them again once I have worked some on the Captains.

0Hf3imZ.png

The swarm did not end. Captain Vitellius hefted his crackling Thunderhammer as he stepped out of the ruins to join the fray, a pack of Xenos spawn having overrun Squad Gracchus' initial position as they tried to fall back. It was hours ago they had made the initial preperations in the ruins left behind from the Tyranid's devouring of the planet, even now as they fought Apothecary Cidius was working to extract the correct bio-mass from the designated Prime creature they had hunted to this place. The Inquisitor believed through it they could fashion a weapon to halt the Xenos' advance through the system.

Not much of the force remained and extraction would not come until dawnbreak, but they had been discovered too early and the Hive Mind had turned its abominable attention upon them. Or so Epistolary Fabius claimed. It was a strange feeling, to sense a world shifting its focus and spring towards you. For they knew, with the low cunning of the Xenos what they had. Their position had been prepared acording to the principles of the Codex, overarching fire stations with Squad Erebus settled atop of the ruins with their blessed Heavy Bolters, they had not been silent for near a standard hour now.

"To the secondary position!" Vitellius called out, even as his hammer struck one of the insect-like creatures low, ichor painting his blessed wargreat. Sergeant Gracchus continued his slow retreat, the hymn of boler fire never ending. The Exonos chittered, coming from every direction in the dark night. The battlefield only lit up by the explosions of boltershells and fire. An bonechilling roar broke through the chaos of combat, as a great beast the size of a Rhino emerged from the cliffs to the north. A Carnifex, Vitellius recalled as its designation and began his own slow retreat towards the doors of the ruins where Squad Gracchus had already set up a new firing position.

As the behemoth charged towards them he gave a spare throught to the time. Ten more minutes until the Stormravens would arrive. Ten more minutes they had to hold this position as the Xenos swarmed around them. Raising his Stormshield he stepped out to take the brunt of the Carnifex's charge. They would hold. For Primarch and Emperor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further reinforcement has arrived to the Ultramarine's 5th Company in the form of Captain Vitellius, armed with a mighty thunderhammer and a stalwart stormshield he is equipped to face even the worst of the Tyranid monsters in single combat. Although as with all Astartes officers he is a voice of command and tactics before a warrior seeking personal glory. With him done I only have another Captain left to paint to finish my first ETL vow, the competition as intended has gotten me to paint a lot this last week! And also worked as an excellent excuse to procrastinate on my thesis writing. 

QJswmPt.jpg

x750iup.jpg

zTOztB5.jpg

With the good Captain done I have also reached past the 1000 points mark of painted models which is a nice landmark, and means I could start playing smaller battled with a fully painted army which is quite encouraging. I have in general found that I find most aspects of the hobby more compelling the more I actually finish my own work, and of course thanks a lot to inspiration found on this forum which has been a great resource. 

I've already started thinking a little on what I might do for a second vow for the ETL, best not go too crazy as to not waste the work I have done so for the glorious Space Marines. Comments and critique are welcome like always.