Storm Sons: A Work in Progress

Nineswords

New year, new projects. 

I've been working on my little DIY chapter for a couple of years on and off for eagle-eyed readers enjoying the Liber Astartes forum. I've been really buzzing off the release of 8th edition and the introduction of the new Primaris range. I've been really taken with the scale of the new models and I was fortunate to receive a load of Primaris combat squads. I spent some time over the last couple of weeks in the holidays putting together what must be the first unit of Space Marines in over two years, and I intend on building more so I can get stuck into playing with my local gaming group.

Whilst I love the new kits, I found the legs a little bit too curvy for my personal taste, and wanted to reintroduce an element of blunt brutality back into the armour, more in keeping with my chapter. I mocked up some kits from GW's website and recoloured them in Adobe Photoshop, using the paint scheme I'll be using (bronze) based on my fluff.

I'd never actually seen anyone do any conversions using both the Tartaros terminator kits and the Intercessors, so I ordered a box from GW and start kit bashing. Here's the result of my first squad. The proportions worked out better than I'd hoped, and it was a surprisingly easy kitbash to do. It gives me the scale of the Primaris marines, with more of the variation I've come to love in GW and FW models. As the heads and shoulders were the same scale, I've got loads of unassembled FW from before 8th edition.

zqQ8fhH.jpg

X8jEvyl.jpg

P9Wr2a8.jpg

Edited by Nineswords

[sergeant - fluff to come]

I used the Tartaros sergeant body, and had him helmless in keeping with normal standard. The power sword is straight up from the Tartaros kit, as there wasn't a huge difference in scale with the pistol holding hand. The pauldrons are a FW World Eaters left shoulder pad I still need to GS my chapter symbol into, and a Sternguard shoulderpad.

AwSXKbg.jpg

[battle Brother 2 - fluff to come]

This was actually the first model I converted, and it's a steep learning curve after not modelling for nearly two years. As the Tartaros chest plate sticks out, it's quite difficult to get the classic two handed pose of the marine firing, so decided to experiment using the new Primaris kit, which is absolutely amazing. I liked the idea of the battle brother pointing before getting back to it. The left pauldron is FW Death Guard, and the right is a Sternguard shoulderpad.

PDTF8co.jpg

Edited by Nineswords

[battle Brother 3 - fluff to come]

This guy is probably my favourite in the squad, and looks way better in real life than the picture. I've been looking for a long time for a bit that would make a great waist protector like in the artwork below, and also fit the general aesthetic of the Tartaros armour. In the end, I took a skull helm from the Reiver squad for variety, and had him checking something on his vambrace.

kiPc7rC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BFhYZNg.jpg

[battle Brother 4 - fluff to come]

There's something about the proportions and lines of the armour that's a little cleaner, perhaps this suit is still waiting some adornment. Using the longer left arm, it's possible to pose the model to hold the auto bolt rifle two handed. Both shoulder pads are from the Sternguard veteran set.

94cajzj.jpg

[battle Brother 5 - fluff to come]

This one bears the auxiliary grenade launcher. I went all out with the monomolecular studs, perhaps this armour has needed some hasty battlefield repairs. I've got some great fluff to write up as to why my Storm Reavers look like this even though it's Mark X. Give him some assault weapons and he could pass for a Carcaradon. Another FW Death Guard shoulder pad on his left.

LjmgZVi.jpg

Now I just need to add some battle damage to the squad and replace the shoulder pads with the lightning strike chapter symbol.

Fantastic work so far. I loved your DIY and various short stories (especially the Alpha Legion one) so I'm really look forward to seeing this project develop. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much! Nice to see my stuff actually gets read. I've been planning another 2 parts to this short story where I introduce not only the Primaris marines, but I needed to work out how my guys fit into the new 40k timeline. I came up with something that's pretty cool but I just need to sit down and write it.

I've certainly followed your work. The Storm Sons have been one of my favourite DIY Chapters for rather a long while - they have a distinctive, interesting character, are well-written, and enhance the background rather than running roughshod over it.

Thanks for sharing your work - I wish you success in your endeavours!

I've certainly followed your work. The Storm Sons have been one of my favourite DIY Chapters for rather a long while - they have a distinctive, interesting character, are well-written, and enhance the background rather than running roughshod over it. Thanks for sharing your work - I wish you success in your endeavours!

High praise coming from you Molotov, your Castigators are the benchmark for fan created chapters! Much, much more to come.

I've admired your Storm Sons for quite awhile now, and I've long held yours as the overall most successful and thorough White Scars successor DIY out there. I've looked to your work a few times now while trying to gradually piece my own Scars successor Chapter together, and very much consider myself a fan, so it's uber cool to see some Storm Sons made flesh :)

They could have been quite ordinary and I'd have still loved them, but this is something else! Inspired combination of kits (so cool to see the Tartarus and Intercessor scale matching up so well), and I can hardly believe the torsos actually work that well upside down.

A few questions:

- so these are intended as Primaris then, and not traditional marines at true scale, have I got that right?

- I see no suldes, are they still yet to come?

- what's the likelihood of seeing a character some time soon?

Overall, absolutely epic. There are like 20 threads in WIP that inspire the hell out of me and that I try to visit regularly, but given that your project is in a way so relevant to my own and dear to my heart, yours will be the first thread I think I've ever actually Followed. Please, more :)

I've admired your Storm Sons for quite awhile now, and I've long held yours as the overall most successful and thorough White Scars successor DIY out there. I've looked to your work a few times now while trying to gradually piece my own Scars successor Chapter together, and very much consider myself a fan, so it's uber cool to see some Storm Sons made flesh :smile.:

They could have been quite ordinary and I'd have still loved them, but this is something else! Inspired combination of kits (so cool to see the Tartarus and Intercessor scale matching up so well), and I can hardly believe the torsos actually work that well upside down.

A few questions:

- so these are intended as Primaris then, and not traditional marines at true scale, have I got that right?

- I see no suldes, are they still yet to come?

- what's the likelihood of seeing a character some time soon?

Overall, absolutely epic. There are like 20 threads in WIP that inspire the hell out of me and that I try to visit regularly, but given that your project is in a way so relevant to my own and dear to my heart, yours will be the first thread I think I've ever actually Followed. Please, more :smile.:

You know, it wasn't until recently I'd realised people actually do read my stuff, which I take as a significant personal achievement, so really pleased you're inspired. To answer your questions:

- Yes, they are Primaris marines. Part 3 of the short story series will explain why they look like that and how the Storm Sons became a primarily Primaris chapter.

- A good spot! I'm still trying to find the best and most cost-effective topknots I can get my hands on before I start painting. I really quite like the top knots on the new Adeptus Custodes models and where they're placed. 

- I was bought a Primaris Chaplain for Xmas, who I shall convert into a Librarian as the Storm Sons do not field Chaplains - the Stormseers traditionally fulfil both roles fluff-wise 

Man, I was always hoping to see minis of your chapter, some day! :biggrin.:

Looking really good and promising! What exactly are you intending to do? A couple of models or a complete strike force for games, etc.?

At the very least, a squad of Hellblasters, Reivers and a character or two. Probably do another Intercessor squad too.

• 3 weeks later...