New Player - Local Escalation League Advice

Perkionemesis

Hey everyone, my local GW is starting up an escalation league and I think it’s the perfect time to try out some Grey Knights. I have a few models already, but am really struggling on what to bring to a 500pt game?!

I’d love to get some feedback about how to build a GK army at this low point level. If possible, I’d really like to bring a three-man Paladin squad because I love the models and have them almost fully painted already.

Your absolute cheapest detachment (not saying this is any good...) is;

Patrol

HQ: Brotherhood Champion 115

Troop: Strike x5 105

Total 215

Leaving you 285 points.

3 x Paladin are 165 points. 178 with a Hammer.

You're not really going to get much from 500 points...

If they're not using the beta rules i'd be tempted to troll with;

Vanguard

HQ: Voldus 190

Elite: Apothecary, Hammer 103

Total 499

Edited by Gentlemanloser

Hahaha ya 500pts is a tough one!

Vanguard

HQ: Brotherhood champion 115

Elite: 3x Paladin, Paragon hammer 178

Elite: Apothecary, hammer 103

Elite: Apothecary, hammer 103

Is 499 points as well if you wanna use that paladin squad.

It really is a tough call. If I were in this position I would probably use the list GML posted. Voldus is 6 wounds, each apothecary is 5, 21 total. Apothecaries can heal and Voldus can cast 3 psychic powers. It'd be crazy tho. Now I wanna play test that list lol.

Maybe something with interceptors, with their shunt they could easily get around the board. If they don't all die super easily tho

Edited by Soder

Cheapest list I could devise with paladins and interceptors unfortunately came to 510 (Patrol: Bro Champ, 3 Paladins, 5 Strikes, 5 Interceptors, no upgrades).

Outrider Detachment with Bro Champ and 3 x 5 Interceptors would be 490.

Will your league be using command points at the start?

Yeah I’m finding that 500pts is really tough to get anything in for GK. As far as I know, the league will not be using beta rules, and you’ll get standard CP based on your army build.

Lol, I think the list Gentlemanloser is tempting... I already have Voldus and only made three Paladins, so I could make two Apothecaries with the bits I already have available.

The other two list idea’s I’m toying with are (both Patrol Detachments):

HQ: Voldus

Troops: 6-man Strike Squad with Falcions and Psilencer

Elite: Paladins with Halbreds and Paragon with Hammer

497pts

OR

HQ: GMDK w/ Teleporter, Greatsword, Psilencer and Psycannon

Troops: Two 5-man Strike Squads with Falcions and Psilencer

499pts

And this is why detachments, CP and hordes just doesn't work currently.

Yeah, I am honestly not sure how they have fumbled into the current stratagem costs vs. ability to generate them.

It's fine if IG or other horde armies can generate brigades easily, but their stratagems shouldn't also be dirt cheap.  For elite armies, we might only have a few command points to use even at 2k, but our stratagems should mostly be 1 CP and only 2CP if they are extraordinarily powerful (Orbital Bombardment at 3CP is a joke along with psybolt ammo and psychic onslaught at 2 CPs.  The only way those would be worth more than 1 CP is if their effect was army-wide, then I'd happily pay 2-3 CPs).

Edited by Grandmaster Rich

499pts

How competitive is this escalation league going to be?  If it is more of a casual event then you might not want to take a GMDK at 500 pts.  It is by far the best unit in our codex and tough for 1k armies to take down let alone 500 pts.  If it is competitive though, I would probably take something like this, though Voldus with 3 apothecaries is tempting.

Yeah I’m finding that 500pts is really tough to get anything in for GK. As far as I know, the league will not be using beta rules, and you’ll get standard CP based on your army build.

Lol, I think the list Gentlemanloser is tempting... I already have Voldus and only made three Paladins, so I could make two Apothecaries with the bits I already have available.

497pts

OR

499pts

Your points are off for the last one.

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Grey Knights) [42 PL, 541pts] ++

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 285pts]: Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword

+ Troops +

Strike Squad [14 PL, 128pts]

. 4x Grey Knight (Falchions): 4x Storm Bolter

. Grey Knight (Psilencer): Psilencer

. Grey Knight Justicar: Storm bolter, Two Nemesis Falchions

++ Total: [42 PL, 541pts] ++

I think you forgot the mandatory dreadfist and stormbolters on strikes for a total of 45 points. Not sure how you hit 499.

But I reckon you'll need weight of fire more than heavy hitters really, until you get into higher point games. Since you already have some MW to dish out, I actually feel you'd be OK at lower level start struggling at higher point games.

Depends how you want to play and how competitive it is. Although it wouldn't be a competitive list, I think a fun one to play (if you have the models/can convert). Main problems being you won't get obsec, and the +1 to psychic tests.

Patrol detachment:

Inquisitor Lord Hector Rex - Storm shield for survivable, Denies 3 powers and casts 2, can deep strike. (Combine his LD and terrify with the strike squad to cast Purge soul)

Troops - 5x Strikes, whatever melee weps you like

Fast attack - 5x Interceptors, Psilencer, NDH on Justicar for heavy hitting/vehicles

Fast attack - 5x Interceptors, Psilencer, NDH on Justicar for heavy hitting/vehicles

This would allow you to deploy your interceptors in your back field/in cover, and deep strike Hector and the strike squad, then you can jump the interceptors up. Not perfect, but if I was to play 500 I think it would be fun.

The only rules posted are WYSIWYG and must be painted tabletop quality; it doesn't say anything about maintaining the same army as we progress by 250pts each month. As for the community, it's semi-competitive. There are people who play simply for the enjoyment of the game and to try new army's or tactics, while others are more serious. Regardless, it's actually a great store where the collective group eliminates people being "that guy" because it's all about playing the game and socializing. People will bring strong lists, but they seek opponents of the same caliber and also help teach newer players (new to the game or an army) when they aren't rolling dice. The league does keep track of W/L and as it progresses you are matched up against people with similar records.

<<<BREAK>>>

497pts

OR

499pts

Your points are off for the last one.

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Grey Knights) [42 PL, 541pts] ++

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 285pts]: Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword

+ Troops +

++ Total: [42 PL, 541pts] ++

I think you forgot the mandatory dreadfist and stormbolters on strikes for a total of 45 points. Not sure how you hit 499.

But I reckon you'll need weight of fire more than heavy hitters really, until you get into higher point games. Since you already have some MW to dish out, I actually feel you'd be OK at lower level start struggling at higher point games.

For this list, each squad was a GK Justicar, 3x GK w/ Falcions and 1 GK with a Psilencer, which is how I got them to 107pts each. Added to the GMDK, it's 499pts total. 

The strogest roster I could think of for 500 pts is probably:

Patrol

GMNDK - Hammer, Psilencer, Psycannon, Teleporter, Sanctuary

10 x Strike Squad - all falchions, gate of infinity

GMNDK starts in Reserves, Strike squad teleports with Gate Turn 1. GMNDK with Heed and Sanctuary on will withstand any shooting (and there won't bee too much) and will kill any unit without invulnerable saves in 1-2 turns (depends on when you charge). Strikes will deal with infantry with bolters and falchions.

• 2 weeks later...

I say take the strongest possible thing you can, GK are at such a disadvantage these days that you don't want to handicap yourself in anyway.

GMNDK w/ Hammer, Psi and Psy, Teleporter - I like the hammer as it will help you to wreck the leman russes that are bound to show up. and you always have the fist for taking on softer targets without the -1 to hit.

2 x 5 or 1 x 10 strikes. depends whether you prefer a bit more mobility for objectives or being able to have everything in their face T1.

The mission was The Relic and I was playing against a Salamander army.

I took a Patrol Detachment with the following:

HQ: GMDK w/ teleporter, hammer, psilencer, psycannon and sanctuary.

Troops: Strike Squad w/ three Falcions, psilencer, the Justicar with hammer, and gate of infinity.

Elite: Apothecary with the Soul Glave relic and Hammerhand.

My opponent had a 10-man Tactical squad with ML and Flamer, Librarian, Assault Squad and Rhino with TLLC.

Needless to say, when the GMDK dropped in on turn one, he did serious damage. I used the Psychic Onsalught strategem for additional kills, and would have really ended the game had he made the charge. I failed the initial and re-roll from this warlord trait. :(

I really liked the Apothecary and think he’s perfect for this mission. A 2+/5++ is legit; especially when you throw in the Soul Glave which cut the Tac squad in half after they made the charge and did no damage from the chainswords.