Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Final Inspirational Friday - Legends of Chaos (until 11/9)

Inspirational Friday Inspirational Friday 2018

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,662 posts
Decided to do something on my World Eaters.

Featuring the names of all of the characters I've made so far, model-wise, as well as some more who are in the planning stages.

Lone Hunt

Hidden Content

Now, In case anyone is trying to put a model to the name:
Berogon, Ramiel and Khadon Drachstur are yet to be built.

Edited by Gederas, 08 June 2018 - 04:41 PM.

• The Nephilim and Kierdale like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts
med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png

I was worried that I was the only one inspired by the last theme, then Gederas delivers!
Lone Hunt told us of a World Eater warband assault having been dragged down into a battle of attrition by a Valhallan Guard regiment and the Chaos space marine lord’s dispatching of a lone warrior into the Guard commander’s fastness on an assassination mission. And a very Khornate assassination mission it proved, too, with a hefty skull tally!
And I didn’t know you had any World Eaters until now.

My entry, A Dark Renaissance had the warpsmith of the Psychopomps, Thenaros, seeking to learn from a master of the Dark Mechanicus. I haven’t used Thenaros for quite some time as he wasn’t really developing. Doing this piece got me to move him forward and, I’ll admit, potentially do away with him and bring his predecessor to prominence in the warband if I feel like it.

I hereby close that topic but if anyone writes pieces on that theme in the future and wishes to share them here, by all means please do so, with a suitable title.

And here begins our eleventh challenge of Inspirational Friday 2018: Prophecy
The gods whisper into mortal ears and minds, all too often with promises of power, glory or other desires fulfilled, but also on occasion with words of guidance or warning. They would not see their plans (be they grand or trifling distractions from the greater game) foiled so easily, or they lend their guidance to mortals so those plots might flourish.
Even the Corpse-God, the God-Emperor of mankind has been known to give guidance to the faithful, via his tarot or visions.
Over the next two weeks I would have you write pieces on the subject of prophecy.
From what higher power do these visions come?
Who is the mortal or mortals blessed(? Cursed?) with this guidance?
Does the prophet succeed in interpreting divine will correctly?
And what forces oppose the prophecy?

IF2018: Prophecy! runs until the 22nd 29th of June.
Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Scourged.

The winner of IF2018: Prophecy! shall claim the Octed amulet:gallery_63428_7083_6894.png
...and the honour of judging the next topic.
  • The Nephilim and Gederas like this

The Nephilim

The Nephilim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,116 posts
  • Faction: The Nephilim

I'm really bummed I couldn't complete solo mission in time. Notes saved for another day. Congratulations, Gederas!

Ohhh... Prophecy... I like prophecy. I can do a lot with this. The challenge will be keeping it short. Does it need to stay in the 41st millennium or can the story date back to the Heresy?

“I bring you the symphony of war, the bliss of ecstasy and the rapture of a pain-filled death to our enemies.” –Fulgrim, prior to the raid of Prismatica V
"No sacrifice, no degradation and no bliss will exist beyond our reach. I have such sights to show you all, my sons." –Fulgrim, spoken at the stage of La Fenice

"There will come a day when we are not bound by the wills of those child-gods. For now, we must do as we have learned to – prosecute their wars, pretend we are the masters of our own fate." –Eidolon, prior to the defense of the Kalium Gate

WIP Log: Something Wicked This Way Comes

ECPHBanner.pngECBanner.jpg

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts
A tale spanning eras is absolutely fine. It sounds excellent, in fact! :tu:

The Templars have also been invited to the party :D
  • The Nephilim likes this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,662 posts

I was worried that I was the only one inspired by the last theme, then Gederas delivers!
Lone Hunt told us of a World Eater warband assault having been dragged down into a battle of attrition by a Valhallan Guard regiment and the Chaos space marine lord’s dispatching of a lone warrior into the Guard commander’s fastness on an assassination mission. And a very Khornate assassination mission it proved, too, with a hefty skull tally!

I couldn't let you be the only entry, now could I? :wink:

And thanks for the praise. It means a lot to me to read compliments about my work (yay for terrible esteem issues) :lol:.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone caught the little teaser for one of the future Chaos Lords for my World Eaters?

Edited by Gederas, 09 June 2018 - 03:28 PM.

• The Nephilim and Kierdale like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts

A Golden Figure

Hidden Content

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 435 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

Not an easy call, as both were quite enjoyable to read for very different reasons (and very different Gods). For me, though, it came down to a simple criteria: the challenge was solo mission. And in the spirit of that source of judgement, I am happy to announce the work of Gederas. Not that I didn't love your work, Kierdale (I always do), but Thenaros didn't seek out the Dark Mechanicum in the spirit of a greater mission - just his own pursuits. Plus, there can only be one winner, after all. 

• Gederas and Kierdale like this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,662 posts

Not an easy call, as both were quite enjoyable to read for very different reasons (and very different Gods). For me, though, it came down to a simple criteria: the challenge was solo missionAnd in the spirit of that source of judgement, I am happy to announce the work of Gederas. Not that I didn't love your work, Kierdale (I always do), but Thenaros didn't seek out the Dark Mechanicum in the spirit of a greater mission - just his own pursuits. Plus, there can only be one winner, after all.

Yay! Amulet is mine :D
  • Kierdale likes this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts
Curses! Foiled again! :D

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 435 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

No doubt you say that as you shake a fist in the air while also twirling your mustache? msn-wink.gif

• Kierdale likes this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts

No doubt you say that as you shake a fist in the air while also twirling your mustache? ;)

But of course!

With the deadline days away - and IF always slower during the ETL - would you like me to push the deadline back a week?
  • 40kChris likes this

Dredgen Yor

Dredgen Yor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 483 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors/Night Lords

Personally, I wouldn't mind having an extra week just to batter through it. I've got a good idea for this however I've just been busy with work and so on.

gallery_48988_15465_48576.png

Click here to see my WIP log.

New Blog coming soon.

Formerly Dizzyeye

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts
Then a third week you shall have!
I’ve changed the deadline to the 29th :)

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,549 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

The Occupant

Spoiler

Edited by Honda, 01 July 2018 - 10:16 PM.

• The Nephilim, Azekai, Kierdale and 2 others like this

gallery_15184_7227_34669.jpg

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

Dredgen Yor

Dredgen Yor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 483 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors/Night Lords

Something a little shorter than I was first planning but I was wanting to set the scene for a warband I'm wanting to write about for later.

A Testimony

Spoiler

• Honda, Kierdale and Augustus b'Raass like this

gallery_48988_15465_48576.png

Click here to see my WIP log.

New Blog coming soon.

Formerly Dizzyeye

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts

Thank you for your entries in Inspirational Friday: Prophecy.
In my own entry, A Golden Figure I was going for a ‘self-fulfilling prophecy’. I don’t think I pulled it off as well as I could have, but I’m happy enough with it.

And I’m glad I gave three weeks for this theme as Honda came through -again- with an excellent entry: The Occupant. An account by the Sigilite, seemingly of a time traveller, bringing word of a dark future. Really, really well written.

And Dizzyeye’s entry, A Testimony, was a tale of warriors who discovered the true, original goals of the Emperor, and found the Imperium of the 41st millennium a traitor to those ideals.

I hereby close that topic but if anyone writes pieces on that theme in the future and wishes to share them here, by all means please do so, with a suitable title.

And here begins our twelfth challenge of Inspirational Friday 2018: Cry Havoc!

While some Chaos Space Marines live for the bloody grind of melee, others prefer the application of heavy ordnance from long range.
The Havoc.
Perhaps members of legion support squads or devastator squads while they were loyal, Havocs live for the roar of heavy weapons. They enjoy nothing more than wreaking great destruction with overwhelming firepower.
They see themselves as gods of the battlefield, smiting their insect-like enemies with a mere twitch of their trigger-fingers. And those who inhabit the Warp long enough find their weapons becoming a physical part of themselves. Their own veins course with the oils and power that feed their weapons. Ammo belts feed into ravenous maws and they feel the ever-present violent hunger of their weapons. Is it not the epitome of such a marine’s life to truly become one with their weapon?

Tell us this time a tale of Havocs, be they a legendary unit such as the Talons of Khorne, a band of once-legionary support marines or fallen Devastators. Do they wield heavy weapons from afar or battle up close with plasma guns, melta guns and flamers? Or what saw them find this role within the warband? What drives them? Tell us of their victories and failures, their blessings, curses, strengths and foibles. What holds this squad of destructive individual together?

IF2018: Cry Havoc! runs until the 13th 20th of July.
Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Gederas.

The winner of IF2018: Cry Havoc! shall claim the Octed amulet:gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,662 posts
All of the choices were all quite good. Honestly, if I was given a choice, I'd say all of them, but since there must be a single victor.... However, since the definition of prophecy is quite malleable, I will say this:

I've chosen Honda to be the winner.

The account from the Sigilite, it made me feel like I was reading an entry from the Horus Heresy.

Well done. Take your amulet.
  • Honda and Kierdale like this

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,549 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Thank you  Gederas, very much! :)

It's funny, it wasn't until fairly late in the writing that the idea of the observer being Malcador came to mind, but it seemed to add the twist I was looking for and provide the plot loop that will be developed in our group's upcoming narrative campaign.

I'm looking forward to developing the concept further in follow on efforts.

And now <looks over and smiles at Kierdale>, I shall place this trophy next to the other one. rolleyesclean.gif

Cheers,

• Kierdale likes this

gallery_15184_7227_34669.jpg

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts

The Devastators of the Stygian Guard, Havocs of the Psychopomps

Part One - Cousins

Hidden Content

Part Two - Devastation

Hidden Content

Part Three - Havoc

Hidden Content

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts
Need a third week? :)

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,662 posts

Need a third week? :)

So it would seem....

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts
So be it :)

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,662 posts

Sanctified with Dynamite

Hidden Content

I wrote this entire thing while listening to Powerwolf's song Sanctified with Dynamite, and its Orchestral Version on repeat. It helped with the writing. And was where I got the name of the short.

It was also nice writing something for Khrogar, and it also has some previews as to things I've got planned for my World Eaters' forces.

Edited by Gederas, 20 July 2018 - 04:09 PM.

• Kierdale likes this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,422 posts

Well, I was about to put the topic of Havocs on the back burner until we got new models, but then Gederas delivered!

I enjoyed reading Sanctified with dynamite, as I’d heard of Khornate Havocs but we so rarely see them (in fiction or on the tabletop). I liked that the Guard had set themselves up in a valley, expecting their enemy - the World Eaters - would assault and so aiming to limit their foe’s options...only to find that Angron’s sons aren’t all choppy.

And in my entry I took a Devastator of the Stygian Guard (my Slaanesh marines before their fall) though a campaign alongside their Templar cousins (it’s nice to revisit that campaign again and again with different characters), to visions of the fall of their home world at the hands of those same Templars, to his arrival, transformed and one with his weapon, upon an Eldar craftworld (again, the location of a few of my other Psychopomp entries).

I hereby close the topic but if anyone has entries on the subject the please feel free to post them at any time, with a suitable title in the post.

And here begins our thirteenth (a most auspicious number!) challenge of Inspirational Friday 2018: Temple of Chaos

Ranging from towering menhirs upon which captives are sacrificed to Khorne, their blood draining into the tainted soil at their feet, through debased and adulterated former houses of worship to the God-Emperor, to grand cathedrals of non-Euclidean geometry, passageways of crystal winding impossibly and turning in upon themselves, varied are the temples of the Chaos Pantheon.
Be it a defiled chapel aboard a heretic Astates vessel or a gladiatorial ring - each fight ending with the presentation of skulls before a bronze icon of the Blood God - or a house of ill-repute run by devotees of the Dark Prince, exercise your imaginations and tell us of a temple of Chaos!

IF2018: Temple of Chaos! runs until the 10th of August.
Let us be inspired.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge: Honda.

The winner of IF2018: Temple of Chaos shall claim the Octed amulet:gallery_63428_7083_6894.png
  • The Nephilim likes this

Warsmith Demetrios

Warsmith Demetrios

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts

Haven't done writing like this in a long while, and it's awesome to get to clean the rust off of my old skills! Here's my entry for "Chaos Temple"!

OLD LEGENDS DIE HARD

Hidden Content

Edited by Warsmith Demetrios, 27 July 2018 - 03:57 AM.

• Kierdale likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Inspirational Friday, Inspirational Friday 2018

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users