Space Wolves Praetor up for pre-order.

quinnwolf

99550101594 SpaceWolvesPraetor05

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Space-Wolves-Legion-Praetor-2018

Shipping on 12/01/2017, thought they might hold him back for the weekender, if anything it's a positive that they are going to have other stuff to show off.

The braiding on his head looks good at least.

Unfortunately the load out is too similar to my own to really warrant the purchase for the time being.

DSC 0550

I should crack on and finish this guy.

Such an awful miniature.

Proportions are all wrong - the gauntlets are almost as big as the torso, the head is oversized, the hand holding the sword is completely jacked, the pelts are poorly sculpted.

Given the great quality of the previous Praetors and the character series, this a disappointment.

The painted version just looks bad...like the artist wasn't even trying when he did the face...

Unpainted it looks more manageable...I just wish the pelts were done the same as Russ'.

Also...why the drip feed? Why not drop the varagyr while they're at it?

I'll still pick him up though. FW knows I'm a stubborn Wolves player who just can't resist new kits :teehee:

It’s garbage. I’ve called them this before but it got removed in the past, even if it was my own personal opinion. It’s a disappointment. Go on 360 view and ask yourself how can he aim his gun if he can barely see where he is aiming at but I guess it wouldn’t matter since the bullets look bigger than the barrel...

It’s garbage. I’ve called them this before but it got removed in the past, even if it was my own personal opinion. It’s a disappointment. Go on 360 view and ask yourself how can he aim his gun if he can barely see where he is aiming at but I guess it wouldn’t matter since the bullets look bigger than the barrel...

The miniatures are heroic scale posed for over-emphasis. They don't always need to make 100% logistical sense IMO!

The miniatures are heroic scale posed for over-emphasis. They don't always need to make 100% logistical sense IMO!

And you are welcome to your opinion Charlo, but it still doesn't excuse, in my opinion, a very poorly laid out, shoddily designed, badly executed model.

@ Maverik: he doesn't need to see, he is being exceptionally aggressive :P spray and pray... Although you could swap te combi-bolter for a dagger, which is not even  a part of a praetor or SW paraetors wargear, therefore makes no sense being a part of the kit. Would rather the head or a helmet was the spare/ extra piece, because then the , in my opinion, ugly head to go in the trash where it belongs.

Surprised nobody has noticed that his knees are almost down at his ankles, going off where the cata knee pads are

There's just so much wrong in the model it's hard to take in everything.

I'm just surprised at the sudden drop in quality of the sculpting. New members to the FW team perhaps.

In my own opinion and folks are welcome to disagree or have their own, but this is very poorly done. 

Constructively, the lower legs are way too short in comparison to wher the legs end judging by the cataphractii's ornate knee plate. The fur is diabolical, the head way oversized..

Of the 5 pieces one is a knife that the model cannot use as it is not a listed piece of wargear...

The head is a copy/paste of the varagyr head, just mirrored

Will not mention the top-knots except to say I do not like them, but that is a personal thing.

Body, legs and cloak are all, I think,  one piece judging by the 360 view, so there is very little hope of conversion.

Legs look so far apart, not sure how they meet the torso in an anatomically correct way

So 2 dimensional its unreal... Basically Ragnar in terminator armour. Makes for a perfectly posed Sw corpse though.

No pistol grip in the left hand for the combi-bolter. Basically it is floating on top of his hand.

Sword is totally unoriginal, basically the same as we have on the SW sprue but with a few more runes.

On the plus side, the runic inscriptions, and little details are really nice. I like the armour between the legs, as it reminds me of the varagyr image in Inferno.

Thats about it.... The sculptor should be saddened by this mess that he made, but the blame lies solely with the guy in FW who signed off on this piece saying it was really good and of a standard to go to production. I really do not expect that FW take in any of the public opinions after models are previewed, so I hold out little hope for the varagyr and almost no hope for the deathsworn or grey slayers... It is just a rushed lazy mess..

I'm just surprised at the sudden drop in quality of the sculpting. New members to the FW team perhaps.

Nope - I've said it many times before, the sculptor of this and all the new Wolf kits (Varyagar, Grey Slayers, Deathsworn) is Rob MacFarlane, who has been at FW for many years and sculpted lots during his time here. I spoke to him at the FW Open Day this year about the kits, and I've spoken to him many times before as well. Can't blame this on a noob...

I don’t mind it. The only bit that bugs me are the (already mentioned) lack of handles/grips in the hands but I’d just swap the hands out.

Head looks weird painted but I think that’s easily fixable too.

As this praetor model that FW has spewed forth looks Horrifically Bad, I have opened a topic in the Hall of Honour. Feel free to post your praetor there to provide FW and others with ideas of how a SW praetor should look.

Link is here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/343145-post-your-space-wolves-praetors-jarls/?p=4977639

Forgeworld <forgeworld@gwplc.com>
To:Danny Taylor
10 Jan at 13:36
Hi Danny,
Thank you for your email. With regards to the components of kits, we only ever list the number of components in the text, we do not list the components on the web store. However the kit comprises of - 

1. Top knot/hair
2. Bolter with hand attached
3. Chainsword with hand attached
4. Knife with hand attached ( alternate for chainsword)
5. compete body with head, arms and legs moulded as one part.

The knife can be used as a close combat weapon.

Close combat weapon is not a weapon option for a teminator praetor Forgeworld do not even know their own rules

Archived