Forgeworld Grey Slayers Upgrade Pack

Ranulf

http://battlebunnies.blogspot.com.au/2018/01/vlka-fenryka-upgrade-packs.html?m=1

Love the bare heads, leather masks, banner poles and shields - axes are less awesome with their wooden shafts. 

Nicely done, thematic and fitting without being ridiculous. Combined with the FW torsos and decal set, it's a good line...

...if you can forget about the Praetor and Varagyr minis.

I was a bit worried after the recent misses, but I must say that I like all of the upgrade kit. The only exception is the decoration on the axes but that's an easy fix.

I especially like that they made the shoulder pads we see in the art so much. The shields is a bit blinged up but will look nice on characters.

Good work FW, now fix the Praetor and Varagyr models.

Really nice shields and heads, wooden axes seem strange, but nothings gonna stop me from clipping off the axe heads and pinning them to some corvus hammers or power axes instead.

Yeah, these are nice! Much better than the Praetor/Terminators.

I agree with the wooden axe hafts being a bit weird. Hopefully that was just a bad call by the painter and the axe hafts don't actually have sculpted wood grain.

Speaking of which, the painting on the Fw minis has been a bit hit and miss lately...

Wait.

Noone makes fun of the Vlka 'Teach me, hurt me, punish me, mistress' Fenryka? :biggrin.:

Apart from that I kinda like them.

What can I say, I'm kinda surprised how well these are going down, as I was meh at first glance and those masks have matured into 'pretty awful' over the course of the afternoon (granted, I was always going to disappointed in them goiing for masks and bare heads over actual helmets, but these have failed to meet my low expectations). While they're certainly better than the abominations that were the Preator and Varangyr, that's not saying much. Really seems like they took the minimum effort required, phoned in route with the SW range, which is a bit of a :censored: after waiting so long for these kits.

Why, just why can’t they release helmeted SW heads for once? I like the kit and the leather masks but only one of the heads should have been without a helmet. They said the 30k Rout would be different...

These are the same people who said Varagyr Terminators look like this.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/0/08/SW_Varagyr_Cataphract.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170306005928

And look at we got...

Why, just why can’t they release helmeted SW heads for once? I like the kit and the leather masks but only one of the heads should have been without a helmet. They said the 30k Rout would be different...

Sorry to say, bit the lack of helmets has been a known thing since at least the last FW open day. For whatever reason, they decided yet more bare heads were what SWs really needed, plus the fetish masks (I'm still at a loss there). I certainly wish they'd gone in a different direction, but I'm getting used to FW disappointing me when it comes to the VI Legion. :sad.:

As for '30k SWs will be different', there are several options, most of which don't paint FW in the best light. Who knows what the real reason is. What I do know is I'm getting the real feeling that, for whatever reason, the FW team didn't really care about the SW release (or are just incompetent, but that's weird given the usual high standards of FW).

Sculpting quality aside, these upgrades, the praetor and the varagyr are different to the 40k SW sculpts. No ridiculous hair, <10 wolf heads/skulls/fangs per model (just checked a GW wolf guard terminator, comes to 10 if you count Morkai as two:wink: ), weapons that aren't comically oversized, no wolf tail talismans dangling from every available point of attachment, occasionally decent use of sculpted knotwork instead of clunky faux-futhark spelling out 'Russ'.

The prator and the varagyr are disappointing garbage because the execution of the sculpts is seriously shoddy, not because FW's aesthetic direction is wrong. They had the right ideas, it was theirs to win and then we got... well. Makes it more frustrating, really.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/0/08/SW_Varagyr_Cataphract.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170306005928

And look at we got...

It's funny, in the same vein the sculptor(s) managed to translate this axe design from Inferno almost perfectly from the page to the grey slayer minis. The scale is good but the wolf head on it looks nearly as bad as some of the worse GW SW weapons. Would that the effort had gone towards the Varagyr...

Edited by Sandlemad

Sculpting quality aside, these upgrades, the praetor and the varagyr are different to the 40k SW sculpts. No ridiculous hair, <10 wolf heads/skulls/fangs per model (just checked a GW wolf guard terminator, comes to 10 if you count Morkai as two:wink: ), weapons that aren't comically oversized, no wolf tail talismans dangling from every available point of attachment, occasionally decent use of sculpted knotwork instead of clunky faux-futhark spelling out 'Russ'.

The prator and the varagyr are disappointing garbage because the execution of the sculpts is seriously shoddy, not because FW's aesthetic direction is wrong. They had the right ideas, it was theirs to win and then we got... well. Makes it more frustrating, really.

And look at we got...

It's funny, in the same vein the sculptor(s) managed to translate this axe design from Inferno almost perfectly from the page to the grey slayer minis. The scale is good but the wolf head on it looks nearly as bad as some of the worse GW SW weapons. Would that the effort had gone towards the Varagyr...

i'm going to disagree. They're certainly more conservative but they're the same DNA is a 40k Space Wolves, with a better balance. I'm relieved by that, btw.  I was worried the models would look all together from another faction. I don't excited by that Varyag art like some do, looks Luna Wolf-ish to me, and while the quality of the sculpting is way off, the design is exactly what I'd be looking for to fit in with my collection. 

anyways, I like this Grey Slayers kits a lot . I think the heads are great. Remind me of the ones in the Thuderwolf cavalry kit, which are among the very best heads in the Space Wolves range. I'm excited by the axe CCW, which I can sprinkle in all over my collection to replace chainswords here and there. the shields will go along way to making some Arjacs shield brothers.

i'm not surprised Leif doesn't like it. he doesn't like anything, whether its justified or not (sometimes it is... today it isn't).

Edited by Wispy

Sorry to say, bit the lack of helmets has been a known thing since at least the last FW open day. For whatever reason, they decided yet more bare heads were what SWs really needed, plus the fetish masks (I'm still at a loss there). I certainly wish they'd gone in a different direction, but I'm getting used to FW disappointing me when it comes to the VI Legion. :(

As for '30k SWs will be different', there are several options, most of which don't paint FW in the best light. Who knows what the real reason is. What I do know is I'm getting the real feeling that, for whatever reason, the FW team didn't really care about the SW release (or are just incompetent, but that's weird given the usual high standards of FW).

A real shame. My next legion after I finish my World Eaters is going to be Space Wolves followed by the Thousand Sons and Imperial Fists. And I don’t even really mind the leather masks, but just the terrible quality of the Praetor and the ‘nice but not worth the price’ quality of the Grey Slayers is signifying FW considering SW above their time.

Sculpting quality aside, these upgrades, the praetor and the varagyr are different to the 40k SW sculpts. No ridiculous hair, <10 wolf heads/skulls/fangs per model (just checked a GW wolf guard terminator, comes to 10 if you count Morkai as two;) ), weapons that aren't comically oversized, no wolf tail talismans dangling from every available point of attachment, occasionally decent use of sculpted knotwork instead of clunky faux-futhark spelling out 'Russ'.

i'm going to disagree. They're certainly more conservative but they're the same DNA is a 40k Space Wolves, with a better balance. I'm relieved by that, btw.  I was worried the models would look all together from another faction. I don't excited by that Varyag art like some do, looks Luna Wolf-ish to me, and while the quality of the sculpting is way off, the design is exactly what I'd be looking for to fit in with my collection. 

anyways, I like this Grey Slayers kits a lot . I think the heads are great. Remind me of the ones in the Thuderwolf cavalry kit, which are among the very best heads in the Space Wolves range. I'm excited by the axe CCW, which I can sprinkle in all over my collection to replace chainswords here and there. the shields will go along way to making some Arjacs shield brothers.

i'm not surprised Leif doesn't like it. he doesn't like anything, whether its justified or not (sometimes it is... today it isn't).

It’s not the aesthetic direction I necessarily disagree with, but the aversion to helmets that they seem to have. I understand that they’ve tried to justify it multiple times in the fluff but wouldn’t it be awesome if they had helmets that looked like this;

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxF4khJs8GVkds7c2ZKHAUI_dDlr1cEMck_sdDTh5o8eSho1VX9C9-BcnF

I hope at least the Legion Specifics will be like it...

Now then, that's not entirely accurate (do you mean SW specific, or GW/FW overall? I've got beef with components of all 3, but some things they do very well still).

Even in this Grey Slayer release, I've got nothing against the shields and axes (and if they're available separately I'll probably pick some up). The bare heads aren't bad, in and of themselves, they're just not different enough from the 40k plastic ones to justify FW prices imo (and I don't like that they mean we'll never see my personal preference, cool runic helmets), plus it feels like a let down after so much '30k Wolves are different' spiel. It's the masks I don't like, they fail aesthetically, practically (don't look like they'd stay on) and don't even match the BL descriptions (which are clearly full face covering, for better or worse).

I actually like some of the mohawks from GW's 40k kits, but the Grey Slayer heads are a nice but subtle change. This will allow me to use these kits with my 40k wolves as well as HH.

But I will say, after the Tsons got two head variants I don't see why FW has any excuse not to give us some actual helmets...

I really feel like FW doesn't care for the SW too much or even dislike them outright. They seemed big on T Sons, with all of their kit, but they have really done the wolves wrong. Though I am not sure what I will do with what I already bought; I can now call it quits on building a big 30k Wolves army. It once held all kinds of promise, but after a year long wait, we waited for what? Gimp masks and malformed Praetors and Varangyr in some of the worst excuses for wolf pelts I have seen!!! Count me out FW, I am bitter about it too.