Open Day Pics of Vylka Fenryka stuff (and Adeptus Custodes)

NightHowler

Just saw this on Faeit212:

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2018/01/pics-of-new-custodes-miniatures-vlka.html

The vylka fenryka are looking awesome IMHO.

Thanks... but we already both at NEWS, RUMORS & BOARD ANNOUNCEMENTS section of the forum (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/343069-fw-space-wolves-upgrades), along with AGE OF DARKNESS section (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/343070-forgeworld-grey-slayers-upgrade-pack/).

Just saw this on Faeit212:

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2018/01/pics-of-new-custodes-miniatures-vlka.html

The vylka fenryka are looking awesome IMHO.

Thanks... but we already both at NEWS, RUMORS & BOARD ANNOUNCEMENTS section of the forum (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/343069-fw-space-wolves-upgrades), along with AGE OF DARKNESS section (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/343070-forgeworld-grey-slayers-upgrade-pack/).

it's fair for the space wolves board to have it's own version of the topic.

@Wipsy, fair enough, my OCD just doesn't like the forum clutter or repetition post/replies. But that's on me and not on anyone else. Anyway, from what I can see so far I only like the one leather mask head. One torso looks different from the other torso upgrades. The shields can be used, but for some reason the plastics we have available now gives us more variety. What are you currently working on now (model wise) Wipsy? 

overall this is okay.

I love the shields. 

The heads are okay. I like the KFStudio heads more, but may pick up a few just for variety 

The axes appear flimsy to me, and the wolf head looks more ornate than Id expect of the Vlka Fenryka. 

EDIT: it's been correctly pointed out that the axe is a exact copy of the wolf axe from Inferno. So +1 for the sculptors actually following the art, but it still looks flimsy to me.

57dce81bf2a4f83bb71bce6b6775bfe2.jpg

Edited by Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

After seeing the terri-bad praetor that FW have spewed out, I have opened a new topic in the Hall of Honour, where we can post our own praetor and varagyr models, to show FW how it should be done

Please feel free to post you photos there (thanks for the suggestion Maverik): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/343145-post-your-space-wolves-praetors-jarls/?p=4977639

The thing that gets me every-time it ends up on a figure, is the belt-fed ammo... Why, why why? 

Ok I get it with an M60 with an ammo box on the side, but the faf of feeding belt ammo into a weapon just seems stupid to me.  I can see it for Orks, they scavenge what they can, but not Space Marines.

If I do get any of these, that will be the first bit chopped off and thrown away.

I just saw the Praetor is temporarily out of stock- with as bad a model as this is, you wouldn't think they have run out of supply would you? Could it be they took him down to at least fix the issue with the gun floating on his hand? I mean I have been collecting space wolves for 30 years and even I had no inclination of purchasing this model as is.

I just saw the Praetor is temporarily out of stock- with as bad a model as this is, you wouldn't think they have run out of supply would you? Could it be they took him down to at least fix the issue with the gun floating on his hand? I mean I have been collecting space wolves for 30 years and even I had no inclination of purchasing this model as is.

that's the rumour floating around. 

could be that they balked at their pre-order numbers and decided to revisit things.

could be that it also sold out despite the bad press. Maybe hobbyists didn't care? Russ was a best seller for them forever and ever.

Edited by Wispy

I was *REALLY* looking forward to the eventual HH Space Wolves releases when they first started the range. In the years since, 6th and especially 7th all but took away my enthusiasm to 40k in general. With the release of 8th edition and the concomittent primaris "truescale"ish marines (the models, not the fluff), some of that interest has come back and I've posted more here and elsewhere about 40k in the past 6 months than most of the past 3-4 years. With HH Space Wolves finally trickling out, I have to say that these models IMO are very disappointing. I do hope they completely redo that Praetor as he takes the worst of mid 90's relatively 2d one piece metal poses (like Ragnar or the old Ulric) and make them worse by replacing hand crafted detail with macro lazy 3d modelling cut and paste ones. The other models (both power armor and terminators) are also disappointing although to a lesser extent. :sad.:

I have already started buying up the Karadron Overlord harpoons for just such a project.

The varagyr in A thousand sons are described as being swathed in furs carrying harpoons or spears.

Have done a thegn with a spear already. Nedds finishing up though

I have one test model done. But used different bits to make it happen. Kept it simple. I will post it in a bit...

gallery_24878_5750_33051.jpg

"a pack of wolf clad terminators armed with glittering harpoon spears followed the primarch of the space wolves" - Ahzek Ahriman - Chief Librarian, Captain of the 1st Fellowship. (Book 2. Chapter 11, A Thousand Sons)

Edited by MaveriK

Not sure why harpoons would be weird. SW are Vikings and the most common weapon for the viking wouldn't be an axe but a spear. Any decent farmer or woodsmith would have an axe on hand and would take it raiding but most would also take a spear.

The viking spear iirc had two pieces of metal behind the tip which would be similiar to a harpoon.

Edit found a picture http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/pix/spjotsprika.jpg

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

Not sure why harpoons would be weird. SW are Vikings and the most common weapon for the viking wouldn't be an axe but a spear. Any decent farmer or woodsmith would have an axe on hand and would take it raiding but most would also take a spear.

The viking spear iirc had two pieces of metal behind the tip which would be similiar to a harpoon.

Edit found a picture http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/pix/spjotsprika.jpg

Couple of observations there. Firstly, spears weren't the just the most common weapon for Vikings but for practically everyone before the advent of gunpowder. However, they were basic commoner weapons. Daneaxes and (especially) swords were the expensive, high end status weapons, used by the top dudes. So if we're going on historical precedent, the elite Varangyr still should be packing something like the more iconic axes.

Lastly, harpoons are weird. They're tools, not weapons (and meant for throwing to boot). Yes, they could be used to kill, but like a felling axe, that's not the designed purpose (and the axes used in raids wouldn't be the same axes used to chop wood at home). At least the DG have the whole 'grim reaper' aesthetic going to justify the Scythes (although personally, I'd have left it as a post-Nurgle development, or at least made them actual war scythes, not farming scythes). But harpoons? It's just a bizarre choice for an elite unit, seemingly the result of 'must be different!' rather than 'is this actually a good idea?'.

Throw harpoon. Impale victim. Drag victim closer with harpoon. Beat/ chop/ stab till they stop moving.

Admittedly that is just in my head as they have no harpoon weapon profiles.

Would be fun though

Couple of observations there. Firstly, spears weren't the just the most common weapon for Vikings but for practically everyone before the advent of gunpowder. However, they were basic commoner weapons. Daneaxes and (especially) swords were the expensive, high end status weapons, used by the top dudes. So if we're going on historical precedent, the elite Varangyr still should be packing something like the more iconic axes.

Lastly, harpoons are weird. They're tools, not weapons (and meant for throwing to boot). Yes, they could be used to kill, but like a felling axe, that's not the designed purpose (and the axes used in raids wouldn't be the same axes used to chop wood at home). At least the DG have the whole 'grim reaper' aesthetic going to justify the Scythes (although personally, I'd have left it as a post-Nurgle development, or at least made them actual war scythes, not farming scythes). But harpoons? It's just a bizarre choice for an elite unit, seemingly the result of 'must be different!' rather than 'is this actually a good idea?'.

Daneaxes would have been cool. Missed opportunity from FW to utilize it on their recent sculptures.

I can see the harpoons work. Fenrisians are a seafaring folk. Well mostly. Hunting sea monsters with a harpoon would be easier than using a sword or axe. Maybe they use it to hunt for food while at sea or kill whales and use their oil like in real-life history. I’d also like to picture these guys tracking down void whales and using the harpoons for all sorts of craziness and then boasting about their adventures in the halls of the aett.

Rule wise. Treat it as power weapon. Maybe with rending? or harpoon auto hits target regardless of toughness. But make it ridiculously expensive as a drawback?!

Edited by maverik_girl

When I asked some people they thought the difference between spear and harpoon was that one was barbed and the other isn't. Now we could get into exact details and yes a few might know the differences. However I take it as the author may have seen barbed spear when looking up "viking spear" and thought oh a harpoon.

As for the elite using them... This is a military where low ranking soldiers are going to be outfitted similarly yes even the VIth. So to be different means you are going to need to have ranks. So Vargyr might have the option to use a spear or a axe or something else. Meanwhile the common soldier got a good old reliable chainswords.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

I like that model Maverik! My take on the harpoon vs spear is that the varagyr are the elite bodyguards and chosen brothers of Russ. These men are beyond the elite, each one a hero in his own right. They would carry whatever weapons they wished. If one challenges himself to carry a spear to do battle with the enemy then, quite possibly due to bragging and warrior's pride, other's might emulate that one warrior's choice. Likewise, they all, most assuredly, would have swords and axes of exquisite design and would choose the weapon that best fit how the warrior wished to combat his enemies.