Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Open Day Pics of Vylka Fenryka stuff (and Adeptus Custodes)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 624 posts
  • Faction: The Hand at the Gate

Just saw this on Faeit212:

http://natfka.blogsp...tures-vlka.html

The vylka fenryka are looking awesome IMHO.

• spacepup likes this

"By the River fettered Fenrir will lie till draws nigh the doom of the Gods." - Frey, Lokasenna: 41

MaveriK

MaveriK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,039 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka

Thanks... but we already both at NEWS, RUMORS & BOARD ANNOUNCEMENTS section of the forum (http://www.bolterand...wolves-upgrades), along with AGE OF DARKNESS section (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/343070-forgeworld-grey-slayers-upgrade-pack/).

gallery_24878_5332_22902.jpg gallery_24878_5332_12892.jpg
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Azn_MaveriK. Night Four: Inglorious Brawler, Season One. Night Three: Inglorious Brawler, Season Two.

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,192 posts

Thanks... but we already both at NEWS, RUMORS & BOARD ANNOUNCEMENTS section of the forum (http://www.bolterand...wolves-upgrades), along with AGE OF DARKNESS section (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/343070-forgeworld-grey-slayers-upgrade-pack/).

it's fair for the space wolves board to have it's own version of the topic.

MaveriK

MaveriK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,039 posts

@Wipsy, fair enough, my OCD just doesn't like the forum clutter or repetition post/replies. But that's on me and not on anyone else. Anyway, from what I can see so far I only like the one leather mask head. One torso looks different from the other torso upgrades. The shields can be used, but for some reason the plastics we have available now gives us more variety. What are you currently working on now (model wise) Wipsy? 

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Azn_MaveriK. Night Four: Inglorious Brawler, Season One. Night Three: Inglorious Brawler, Season Two.

spacepup

spacepup

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 192 posts

I like the axes myself.

spacepup

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,768 posts

overall this is okay.

I love the shields. 

The heads are okay. I like the KFStudio heads more, but may pick up a few just for variety 

The axes appear flimsy to me, and the wolf head looks more ornate than Id expect of the Vlka Fenryka. 

EDIT: it's been correctly pointed out that the axe is a exact copy of the wolf axe from Inferno. So +1 for the sculptors actually following the art, but it still looks flimsy to me.

57dce81bf2a4f83bb71bce6b6775bfe2.jpg

Edited by Jarl Kjaran Coldheart, 07 January 2018 - 03:11 AM.

• Dantay VI likes this

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif  Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gif millenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

Formerly Wolf Lord Kieran

+++This is my Mod voice. There are many like it but this one is mine. I never wanna have to use it, so let's all be excellent to each other+++

SpiritFox22

SpiritFox22

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 147 posts

Any chance someone can post the pictures on this page?  Asking as I cant access the sites from my work computer.

Dantay VI

Dantay VI

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,318 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

After seeing the terri-bad praetor that FW have spewed out, I have opened a new topic in the Hall of Honour, where we can post our own praetor and varagyr models, to show FW how it should be done

Please feel free to post you photos there (thanks for the suggestion Maverik): http://www.bolterand...arls/?p=4977639

• HvitrValdyr likes this
ETL 1v2

Lord Ragnarok

Lord Ragnarok

++ DIMICATIO FORMIDOLOSA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,730 posts
  • Faction: SW's, Relictors, Red Corsairs

I agree with Coldheart on the axes. I don't like wood on axes in 30/40k. I like the curvature and the artwoork. I'd probably give them metal paint treatment. 

• Triszin likes this

gallery_12375_5740_34637.jpggallery_12375_5740_49348.jpg
"This is not the first time you've been left to fate. I can see it in your manner. It takes something from you doesn't it? Being deserted hollows you out and leaves a void inside. People might say that it hurts, that the psyche aches from the wound. It's not true though. Abandonment does not leave pain. You wished it did because that would be better than the truth. It leaves nothing. Not hope, not pain, not forgiveness."

sbarnby71

sbarnby71

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 145 posts

The thing that gets me every-time it ends up on a figure, is the belt-fed ammo... Why, why why? 

Ok I get it with an M60 with an ammo box on the side, but the faf of feeding belt ammo into a weapon just seems stupid to me.  I can see it for Orks, they scavenge what they can, but not Space Marines.

If I do get any of these, that will be the first bit chopped off and thrown away.

Sorry I'm late, I didn't want to be here

sturguard

sturguard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 412 posts

I just saw the Praetor is temporarily out of stock- with as bad a model as this is, you wouldn't think they have run out of supply would you? Could it be they took him down to at least fix the issue with the gun floating on his hand? I mean I have been collecting space wolves for 30 years and even I had no inclination of purchasing this model as is.

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,192 posts

I just saw the Praetor is temporarily out of stock- with as bad a model as this is, you wouldn't think they have run out of supply would you? Could it be they took him down to at least fix the issue with the gun floating on his hand? I mean I have been collecting space wolves for 30 years and even I had no inclination of purchasing this model as is.

that's the rumour floating around. 

could be that they balked at their pre-order numbers and decided to revisit things.

could be that it also sold out despite the bad press. Maybe hobbyists didn't care? Russ was a best seller for them forever and ever.

Edited by Wispy, 13 January 2018 - 07:34 AM.

SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG!

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 48 posts
I was *REALLY* looking forward to the eventual HH Space Wolves releases when they first started the range. In the years since, 6th and especially 7th all but took away my enthusiasm to 40k in general. With the release of 8th edition and the concomittent primaris "truescale"ish marines (the models, not the fluff), some of that interest has come back and I've posted more here and elsewhere about 40k in the past 6 months than most of the past 3-4 years. With HH Space Wolves finally trickling out, I have to say that these models IMO are very disappointing. I do hope they completely redo that Praetor as he takes the worst of mid 90's relatively 2d one piece metal poses (like Ragnar or the old Ulric) and make them worse by replacing hand crafted detail with macro lazy 3d modelling cut and paste ones. The other models (both power armor and terminators) are also disappointing although to a lesser extent. sad.png

BLOG LINK
764803_sm-My%20blog%20banner%20for%20my%

MaveriK

MaveriK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,039 posts
I want varagry and praetor with harpoons
  • hammer grimblood likes this

Hfran Morkai

Hfran Morkai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,278 posts
  • Faction: Space wolves

Was so hoping for Power Harpoons ever since reading about Russ' personal guard. Could have some fun in game mechanics.
QUOTE (A D-B @ Jan 10 2011, 12:45 PM)
THE CUSTODIANS AREN'T PSYCHIC OH MY GOD I HATE YOU MIKAL.

gallery_24878_5332_45982.jpg

hammer grimblood

hammer grimblood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 228 posts

Seconded brother. Power spears used to be a thing and I don't see why we can't have them on a unit that would match thematically. Especially considering that the Death Guard get special power scythes.

sml_gallery_79710_12195_5745.png sml_gallery_79710_12195_5833.pngsml_gallery_79710_12195_3274.jpg ETL 2016 Banner 03 Custos Fidei01

Dantay VI

Dantay VI

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,318 posts
I have already started buying up the Karadron Overlord harpoons for just such a project.

The varagyr in A thousand sons are described as being swathed in furs carrying harpoons or spears.

Have done a thegn with a spear already. Nedds finishing up though
ETL 1v2

MaveriK

MaveriK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,039 posts

I have one test model done. But used different bits to make it happen. Kept it simple. I will post it in a bit...

gallery_24878_5750_33051.jpg

"a pack of wolf clad terminators armed with glittering harpoon spears followed the primarch of the space wolves" -  Ahzek Ahriman - Chief Librarian, Captain of the 1st Fellowship. (Book 2. Chapter 11, A Thousand Sons)

Edited by MaveriK, 14 January 2018 - 12:20 AM.

• Dantay VI and Runefyre like this

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,192 posts

surprises me people like prospero burn's depiction of space wolves so much. the harpoon thing always struck me as weird, along with the leather masks.

Jarl Caldersson

Jarl Caldersson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,672 posts
  • Faction: Blood of Fenris
Not sure why harpoons would be weird. SW are Vikings and the most common weapon for the viking wouldn't be an axe but a spear. Any decent farmer or woodsmith would have an axe on hand and would take it raiding but most would also take a spear.

The viking spear iirc had two pieces of metal behind the tip which would be similiar to a harpoon.

Edit found a picture http://www.hurstwic....spjotsprika.jpg

Edited by Jarl Caldersson, 14 January 2018 - 09:47 AM.

sml_gallery_69091_12729_6611.jpggallery_4664_11830_1029.jpeg

"It has been said that the Lord of Ultramar sees little else besides the primacy of his own culture. For him, all worlds might as well be Ultramar." - Diplomat Pyke

"I would have expected that suggestion from Ferrus, or maybe even Horus, but never Russ. He has a hidden depth that one" - Primarch Fulgrim

"The Wolves were the Emperor’s red right hand–monsters in their own way–but how easy it was to only see the savage, to fear the axe and miss the subtle knife." - Prmomus

Leif Bearclaw

Leif Bearclaw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,392 posts

Not sure why harpoons would be weird. SW are Vikings and the most common weapon for the viking wouldn't be an axe but a spear. Any decent farmer or woodsmith would have an axe on hand and would take it raiding but most would also take a spear.

The viking spear iirc had two pieces of metal behind the tip which would be similiar to a harpoon.

Couple of observations there. Firstly, spears weren't the just the most common weapon for Vikings but for practically everyone before the advent of gunpowder. However, they were basic commoner weapons. Daneaxes and (especially) swords were the expensive, high end status weapons, used by the top dudes. So if we're going on historical precedent, the elite Varangyr still should be packing something like the more iconic axes.

Lastly, harpoons are weird. They're tools, not weapons (and meant for throwing to boot). Yes, they could be used to kill, but like a felling axe, that's not the designed purpose (and the axes used in raids wouldn't be the same axes used to chop wood at home). At least the DG have the whole 'grim reaper' aesthetic going to justify the Scythes (although personally, I'd have left it as a post-Nurgle development, or at least made them actual war scythes, not farming scythes). But harpoons? It's just a bizarre choice for an elite unit, seemingly the result of 'must be different!' rather than 'is this actually a good idea?'.

Dantay VI

Dantay VI

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,318 posts
Throw harpoon. Impale victim. Drag victim closer with harpoon. Beat/ chop/ stab till they stop moving.
Admittedly that is just in my head as they have no harpoon weapon profiles.
Would be fun though
ETL 1v2

maverik_girl

maverik_girl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 751 posts
  • Faction: The Rout

Couple of observations there. Firstly, spears weren't the just the most common weapon for Vikings but for practically everyone before the advent of gunpowder. However, they were basic commoner weapons. Daneaxes and (especially) swords were the expensive, high end status weapons, used by the top dudes. So if we're going on historical precedent, the elite Varangyr still should be packing something like the more iconic axes.

Lastly, harpoons are weird. They're tools, not weapons (and meant for throwing to boot). Yes, they could be used to kill, but like a felling axe, that's not the designed purpose (and the axes used in raids wouldn't be the same axes used to chop wood at home). At least the DG have the whole 'grim reaper' aesthetic going to justify the Scythes (although personally, I'd have left it as a post-Nurgle development, or at least made them actual war scythes, not farming scythes). But harpoons? It's just a bizarre choice for an elite unit, seemingly the result of 'must be different!' rather than 'is this actually a good idea?'.
Daneaxes would have been cool. Missed opportunity from FW to utilize it on their recent sculptures.

I can see the harpoons work. Fenrisians are a seafaring folk. Well mostly. Hunting sea monsters with a harpoon would be easier than using a sword or axe. Maybe they use it to hunt for food while at sea or kill whales and use their oil like in real-life history. I’d also like to picture these guys tracking down void whales and using the harpoons for all sorts of craziness and then boasting about their adventures in the halls of the aett.

Rule wise. Treat it as power weapon. Maybe with rending? or harpoon auto hits target regardless of toughness. But make it ridiculously expensive as a drawback?!

Edited by maverik_girl, 14 January 2018 - 12:10 PM.

gallery_60350_5867_8825.jpg gallery_24878_5332_12892.jpg
known as Skadi the She-Wolf of the Vlka Fenryka. I am a daughter of Fenris. Shield Maiden of the Rout, and pack leader of the Winter Guard. I run with the Fenris Bloods! there is no better pack, than that of a Blood Claws. For Russ and the All-father!

Jarl Caldersson

Jarl Caldersson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,672 posts
  • Faction: Blood of Fenris
When I asked some people they thought the difference between spear and harpoon was that one was barbed and the other isn't. Now we could get into exact details and yes a few might know the differences. However I take it as the author may have seen barbed spear when looking up "viking spear" and thought oh a harpoon.

As for the elite using them... This is a military where low ranking soldiers are going to be outfitted similarly yes even the VIth. So to be different means you are going to need to have ranks. So Vargyr might have the option to use a spear or a axe or something else. Meanwhile the common soldier got a good old reliable chainswords.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson, 14 January 2018 - 12:25 PM.

sml_gallery_69091_12729_6611.jpggallery_4664_11830_1029.jpeg

"It has been said that the Lord of Ultramar sees little else besides the primacy of his own culture. For him, all worlds might as well be Ultramar." - Diplomat Pyke

"I would have expected that suggestion from Ferrus, or maybe even Horus, but never Russ. He has a hidden depth that one" - Primarch Fulgrim

"The Wolves were the Emperor’s red right hand–monsters in their own way–but how easy it was to only see the savage, to fear the axe and miss the subtle knife." - Prmomus

hammer grimblood

hammer grimblood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 228 posts

I like that model Maverik! My take on the harpoon vs spear is that the varagyr are the elite bodyguards and chosen brothers of Russ. These men are beyond the elite, each one a hero in his own right. They would carry whatever weapons they wished. If one challenges himself to carry a spear to do battle with the enemy then, quite possibly due to bragging and warrior's pride, other's might emulate that one warrior's choice. Likewise, they all, most assuredly, would have swords and axes of exquisite design and would choose the weapon that best fit how the warrior wished to combat his enemies. 

sml_gallery_79710_12195_5745.png sml_gallery_79710_12195_5833.pngsml_gallery_79710_12195_3274.jpg ETL 2016 Banner 03 Custos Fidei01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users