Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Considering Custodes - two questions

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

balordazul

balordazul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 490 posts

I'm a long time wargamer and a BT/DG player for about 10 years and no I'm not a grumpy old man complaining about 2ed or rogue trader.  But, I have put my BT on the back burner until GW works out their plans on Primaris marines as I find it is be a poor gamble investing in marines right now.  

With my frustration at GW I wanted to get another army that would fall outside the Primaris issues.  Custodes seem interesting as it would be an elite army being a small model count but most likely about the same monetary cost but I have two concerns.

First is there a better option for the Ven Dread then the really bad plain one GW makes.  Can the FW Custode dread be converted with a ranged weapon?

Second looking at the stats via the index it looks like Custodes would have a very hard time on the table top.  Ignoring stuff that is not released the index unit seems to be either two light on resilience and clearly not able to provide much ranged fire support.  As someone that has not played them and only going on my years of wargaming they look like they could be very challenging.  How are they doing on the table top?

PS: I do not like playing with jerk army lists but I also enjoy having good games.  My favorite WFB army was Tomb Kings and I like Death Guard when they were very challenging back in 3.5.  

The Contemptor Dread GW makes is awful, just looks plain awful ! I have 2 x FW Contemptor Dreads and you can convert it. I'm waiting on the Codex before I convert the other one I have. 

36952857261_ca850c4bb4_z.jpg

The army is tough as nails, especially running them with Swords and Boards like I do; You get a T5,  +4 Inv Save and a +2 save with 3 Wounds. I would expect the Termies and other new infantry to be even tougher. 

You are correct though, right now, other then the Contmptor Dread with Kheres Assualt / Multi-Melta and the Land Raider, we don't have much else to shoot with. Until we get the Codex, we don't have enough info for a solid understanding of how the full Custodes list will play. A lot more options will open soon, and I am really excited ! 

Hey Constantine,

If you have a moment can you give me a little bit of detail on your conversion and is it magnetized to still put the shield on it?  I'm guessing I have about 2 to 3 weeks before I get my models in from FW.

Constantine Trajanus Ultor

Constantine Trajanus Ultor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes

I'm a long time wargamer and a BT/DG player for about 10 years and no I'm not a grumpy old man complaining about 2ed or rogue trader.  But, I have put my BT on the back burner until GW works out their plans on Primaris marines as I find it is be a poor gamble investing in marines right now.  

With my frustration at GW I wanted to get another army that would fall outside the Primaris issues.  Custodes seem interesting as it would be an elite army being a small model count but most likely about the same monetary cost but I have two concerns.

First is there a better option for the Ven Dread then the really bad plain one GW makes.  Can the FW Custode dread be converted with a ranged weapon?

Second looking at the stats via the index it looks like Custodes would have a very hard time on the table top.  Ignoring stuff that is not released the index unit seems to be either two light on resilience and clearly not able to provide much ranged fire support.  As someone that has not played them and only going on my years of wargaming they look like they could be very challenging.  How are they doing on the table top?

PS: I do not like playing with jerk army lists but I also enjoy having good games.  My favorite WFB army was Tomb Kings and I like Death Guard when they were very challenging back in 3.5.  

The Contemptor Dread GW makes is awful, just looks plain awful ! I have 2 x FW Contemptor Dreads and you can convert it. I'm waiting on the Codex before I convert the other one I have. 

36952857261_ca850c4bb4_z.jpg

The army is tough as nails, especially running them with Swords and Boards like I do; You get a T5,  +4 Inv Save and a +2 save with 3 Wounds. I would expect the Termies and other new infantry to be even tougher. 

You are correct though, right now, other then the Contmptor Dread with Kheres Assualt / Multi-Melta and the Land Raider, we don't have much else to shoot with. Until we get the Codex, we don't have enough info for a solid understanding of how the full Custodes list will play. A lot more options will open soon, and I am really excited ! 

Hey Constantine,

If you have a moment can you give me a little bit of detail on your conversion and is it magnetized to still put the shield on it?  I'm guessing I have about 2 to 3 weeks before I get my models in from FW.

This Dread is not magnetized. I didn't have any magnets and was really wanted to complete the model. The next Dread waiting to be assembled I will magnetize, but am waiting to see the Codex and the full list of possible weapons fits.....I hope there are more. 

• balordazul likes this

38888890625_1e45b776e3_m.jpg

HCMistborn

HCMistborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,881 posts
  • Faction: Custodes Advance Force
On TDA, they will also most likely have built in deep strike, which is a bonus from TDA as well. So more fire power, extra wound and most likely Deep Strike built in.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,452 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
We don't know anything about Custodes at this moment in time so we shouldn't be discussing what the army can and can't do.
It's possible that a month from now we have a force where the infantry can deepstike, deal with hordes easily, and have access to a few FW Tank units that can dispatch tougher targets.

-~Ishagu~-

TURBULENCE

TURBULENCE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 445 posts
A quick question, as I don't have my index on hand at the moment, can the vexilla bearer take a storm shield or is he limited to just the little knife

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,452 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Yes he can. Best way to equip him

-~Ishagu~-

TURBULENCE

TURBULENCE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 445 posts
Woo. Good to know thanks, my buddy just gave me his whole unused set from bop, in exchange for some conversions. Wanted to be sure before I built him up

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users