Bit of Info from the Open Day

Cryptix

Oh hey, a year after buying one, I can maybe finally field my Ordinatus. Or stock up on the FW goodness that is Mechanicum vehicles. Good, my 40k AdMech has entirely been shelved after having several duplicates of every unit whose design isn't totally bonkers.

I know it's a stretch, but I'd love some anti-psyker stuff.

...AdMech on Cyraxis is fighting Tau. You can't get any farther away from psykers than that. :whistling:

Oh hey, a year after buying one, I can maybe finally field my Ordinatus. Or stock up on the FW goodness that is Mechanicum vehicles. Good, my 40k AdMech has entirely been shelved after having several duplicates of every unit whose design isn't totally bonkers.

I know it's a stretch, but I'd love some anti-psyker stuff.

...AdMech on Cyraxis is fighting Tau. You can't get any farther away from psykers than that. :whistling:
All the more reason to bring offensive Psykers!

About time! Can't wait to start picking up some FW goodies..... that I'll never get to use at my FLGS because everyone there hates FW..... But still, ROBOTS!

Haha i can lament with you but can see the other side of the coin, not many people can afford FW so that kinda puts it into the elite player park of which a lot of players are not (the BnC excluded as it seems to have a lot of FW lovers :sweat: ) 

if i and a few others could afford it then our gaming group would probably play it but alas the general consensus is an acceptable No,

i do wish however that FW would go plastic though :rolleyes:  (an unlikely wish, i know)

Happy for all you others getting FW though:thumbsup:   and i hope your Fires book does come out before 2024!   :biggrin.:

Mithril

Ok, I can't help but be a git; Forge World already does plastic, it's just a different type of plastic. :) I always bite my tongue when people say that and a tiny bit of me dies inside. This time I had to quip and be 'that guy'.

That said, Forge World will never go injected styrene plastic because many of the kits they produce make specific use of what can only be done in polyurethane resin, using flexible rubber moulds. While GW has pushed the injection mould technology to amazing levels (it really is bordering on witchcraft what they can do), it simply can't produce what FW makes in many cases.

It's not necessarily the fact that some people can't afford to buy Forge World (although that is one factor in the argument). The problem in my group is that they see FW as "everything is overpowered, overly competitive, rabble rabble rabble." Two guys have had pretty bad experiences fighting FW, one sees it as total cheese (despite the fact that the git brings entire ARMIES worth of FW and is the cheese master). My best friend, who's never even fought anything FW related, just thinks it's all overpowered and refuses to even give it a chance. Heck, I even offered to buy him the Guard IA index so he could try it out and he flat refused.

It just bothers me that people won't give any of that stuff a chance. The models are legal, they have acceptable rules, CA more or less fixed them with their points increases (Yeah, I know. A lot of them were ridiculous price hikes that weren't needed). I say give them a chance. I've told them that if they ever want to bring FW against me, go ahead. I'll fight anything as long as it's legal. I just wish they'd give me the same courtesy.

I'm done ranting and whining now. Back to happy excitement. MARCH! ROBOTS! TRANSPORTS! NEW TOYS! WALLET SCREAMING IN AGONY....... wait, no. That part's not good.

I'd really like to see them expand some further information and specifics on the Legio Cybernetica itself.

We see in both 7th and 8th Codices that the Robots are all relic-y and come with their own mystery and legend attached to their existence, arguably far more enigmatic and endearing than any Space Marine Chapter has any right being.

And yet... it's all dakkastellans. I mean, story-wise, there's a horrifying dearth of information on them. They get some intriguing positions in the stories, for time to time (I'm thinking the numerologist's pal in the Ahriman trilogy), but broadly speaking there's not much on them.

Bringing the 'old ones' back into being alongside Kastellans and treating them all with the same brush (e.g. they're all mythic and rare and no-longer mass produced so almost equally uncommon and irregular around the galaxy, it's just that Cawl happens to favour running around with Kastellans, or some such excuse...) would be a fascinating thing. Especially if, as part of the story of FoC, there's some factionalism that isn't purely inter-forgeworld, but drawing divisions between sections of the Legio Cybernetica, the Centurio Ordinatus, the Secutors, the Skitarii, the Tech-Guard, the Explorators, the Collegia Titanica and so forth.

And then some more subdivisions still!

That way, perhaps FoC might introduce lists for the Legio Cybernetica, the various Magi and Archmagi (not merely Domina) forges that might be military might independent of (albeit feudally indentured to) their home Forge World, as well as distinct/federal Skitarii forces operating from very high level.

----

Well, it's what I'd be interested to see! :biggrin.:

It's not necessarily the fact that some people can't afford to buy Forge World (although that is one factor in the argument).

In a way, it is. Our local group's acceptance skyrocketed when someone discovered a good recaster. Everyone started considering FW stuff and fully reading the rules for their own uses. Turned out most units aren't as good as previously feared, except for the handful of OP units. No one really complains about bringing FW any more, or complains more than about GW's OP units/Eldar. Also, with Heresy staying in 7th edition, we have a lot of players who just field it as 40k marines/heretics, including all that FW stuff.

Ok, I can't help but be a git; Forge World already does plastic, it's just a different type of plastic. :smile.: I always bite my tongue when people say that and a tiny bit of me dies inside. This time I had to quip and be 'that guy'.

Oh... "That Plastic"... the type of plastic that warps and has some bad mold lines and needs to be washed and can bend or snap easily.... ??? yeah "That" plastic...:tongue.:

now I feel like i'm That guy :thumbsup: 

Mithril 

Not to be a nag, but did I miss the answer to the second half of my question? If I am interested in moslty running a Non-Mechanized Infantry/Skitarii based List will any of the new Admech Units from Heresy be any interest to me?

Or it gonna mostly be things like Transports, Kataphrons, and larger ‘Robots’? Or we gonna see more Skitarii Variants (a Skitarii HQ perhaps), in the same point range of the current Skitarii and Techpriest Engineer? Like I am happy to get the former, but the latter is what I personally care for more than anything.

And/or anyone have a list of Admech FW Units I can look up instead?

Edited by Schlitzaf

You'll probably be interested in the Secutarii Peltasts and Hoplites. In fluff they're Skitarii who act as a vanguard force for the Titan Legions, meant to flush out and eliminate smaller threats before the titans arrive so they can focus on the bigger stuff, greater daemons, other titans, etc. In 30k the Secutarii have an HQ unit, Im sincerely praying it's ported over and made into a general Skitarii HQ.

Beyond that, you may be interested in the Krios tanks, and don't discount some battle-automata just yet. Also, Ordinatii and updated Cerastus Knight rules for some sweet new Super-Heavy goodness.

As for a list, just mozy on over to FW'S website and go to the Horus Heresy section, select Mechanicum and bam, there ya are. We're still unsure if absolutely everything will be ported, but from rumors ages ago it sounds like most of everything will.

I'm hoping for the basics to be included- Thallax, Castellax, Secutarii (with their leader), Macrocarid, Triaros, Krios, Vorax. After that, some of the Automatia make sense as "relic units" like the Dominar or Thanatos.

What I really want to see is the Titan rules and Macro weapons get updated. I'm fine with the new prices, but not for the current statlines and incarnations of Macro and Void Shields. As it is, Titans vs Titans are somewhat glass-cannony. Voids particularly don't match the fluff at all, and could be done so much better, and simply too. At the least, I want to see Macro drop the wound doubling, and all titans go up in wounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping for the basics to be included- Thallax, Castellax, Secutarii (with their leader), Macrocarid, Triaros, Krios, Vorax. After that, some of the Automatia make sense as "relic units" like the Dominar or Thanatos.

What I really want to see is the Titan rules and Macro weapons get updated. I'm fine with the new prices, but not for the current statlines and incarnations of Macro and Void Shields. As it is, Titans vs Titans are somewhat glass-cannony. Voids particularly don't match the fluff at all, and could be done so much better, and simply too. At the least, I want to see Macro drop the wound doubling, and all titans go up in wounds.

I could see Secutarii, the transports and tanks and what not but I very much doubt the Automata will get 40k rules. The new Mechanicus codex includes the following lines:

Many latter-pattern robots are tainted by their association with the machine-predators of that desperate age. So it is that the animalistic Thanatar, Castellax and Vorax are forgotten on all but the most intrepid and independent of forge worlds.

SO essentially this is almost like the fluff equivalent of "don't count on these things coming to 40k." But hey, I could be proven wrong, only time will tell.

I could see Secutarii, the transports and tanks and what not but I very much doubt the Automata will get 40k rules. The new Mechanicus codex includes the following lines:

Many latter-pattern robots are tainted by their association with the machine-predators of that desperate age. So it is that the animalistic Thanatar, Castellax and Vorax are forgotten on all but the most intrepid and independent of forge worlds.

SO essentially this is almost like the fluff equivalent of "don't count on these things coming to 40k." But hey, I could be proven wrong, only time will tell.

I interpret that very differently, as it outright acknowledges those exist and are used still, but only by a tiny minority of forgeworlds. Which Cyraxes will give us an example of and rules for.

I expect Cyraxes will also give us the Termite transport and Ordinatus Mole revealed at the Heresy Weekender for 40k 8th too.

There have been artwork of a Thanatar siege-automata, and from seminariums we were told that the Forgeworld released their old automata in desperation, although they have gone crazy during the millennia they were sleeping.

It makes sense. These sorts of robots are mothballed because they are perceived as unreliable and they are only released as a last resort. The book appears to be about a Forge World under attack so it would be a case of activating them, pointing them in the vague direction of the enemy and then standing well back. I agree that they will probably be limited but I imagine they will be accessible in some capacity.