Using the AM dex

Goreshed

Between plowing all of this snow we've been getting I finally managed to get a hold of the AM dex and did a light reading of it.

Overall I wasn't disappointed with what I saw and it got me thinking of a number of new conversions to do up, namely a ogryn bodyguard conversion among other things.

But I wanted to ask the fellow hive mind what regiment you would use for you army? I'm leaning more towards Vahallan given the unforgiving nature of the IW.

Valhallans would certainly work for Iron Warrios. I lean towards representing my own chaos fanatics with Catachans. I like their officer's rules (my own renegade colonel is represented with Iron Hand Straken, and I have a beefy masked orlock heavy stubber dude to stand in for Harker). A Nurgle preacher (priest) plus Straken's rules and the S4 Catachan doctrine makes for some pretty gnarly close combat troops.

Leman Russ are great, but when the enemy tries to come to grips with you, being able to sort them out at the end of a rusty bayonet is a lot of fun.

I’ve started up what I’m calling my “dark mech inspired, Slaanesh themed renegades” and using the Tallarn rules for them. They specialize in ( or rather are obsessed with/ get high off of) striking terror into their prey, and using quick ambush attacks. No artillery, but lots of bodies and tanks.

I’ve got so many conversions planned, one of the main ones I’m looking forward to is a unit of crusaders. They’re going to be based of AdMech rust stalkers, the concept being they’ve removed almost all their flesh so they can better “feel” the terror through their other senses

Renegades are such an awesome concept for an army, and it’s just too bad FW keeps dropping the ball. The IG book just offers so many opportunities I feel

Depends what role you intend for them to fill I supppose. My AM is primarily Cadian but have had good results with Valhallan as well.

Ive actually been running a hybrid R&H list lately with a corps of Khorne Cultists and Mutants/Enforcers and Ogryn Brutes, some tanks and then a Spearhead of FW Heretic Astartes. Specifically Hellforged units such as Vinidicator Laser Destroyer, C-Beam Rapiers, Hellwright... surprisingly effective.

Yeah having sat down and really read it more, Valhallan seems the way to go for my force. Specially their tanks for the fact that they aren't penalized for a lot longer on the wounds and all. As much as I'd love to make a traitor Pask to use his russ and ablities, he just doesn't give enough army wide bonus, specially when I'm doing a tank heavy list.

Catachans, for me, though I see no reason not to try them all out. We’re doing counts-as anyway, so no reason to limit.

I like Catachan due to the leadership buffs, better strength, Sergeant Harker, and re-rolling number of shots.

I plan on using renegades just to bring Leman Russ tanks with my heretic astartes lists. I see the renegade commander as a 25 point Russ tax for a spearhead detachment.

For lots of fun I suggest bringing a supreme command detachment that is Valhallan, and adding a shadowsword so it gets the regimental doctrine. The shadowsword will fire at full BS until its down to like 6 wounds. Bring the extra turrets with it, so you have 10 heavy bolters, 4 lascannons, and the volcano cannon shooting at BS 4+ until it's just about dead.

Edited by micahwc

I plan on using renegades just to bring Leman Russ tanks with my heretic astartes lists. I see the renegade commander as a 25 point Russ tax for a spearhead detachment.

For lots of fun I suggest bringing a supreme command detachment that is Valhallan, and adding a shadowsword so it gets the regimental doctrine. The shadowsword will fire at full BS until its down to like 6 wounds. Bring the extra turrets with it, so you have 10 heavy bolters, 4 lascannons, and the volcano cannon shooting at BS 4+ until it's just about dead.

Correct me if I am wrong, but does not the entire army need to have the same faction keyword, according to rules?

Page 81 of the Forgeworld "Index: Forces of the Astra Militarum" states that Renegades and Heretics armies replace <Regiment> with <Renegades and Heretics> and <Imperium> with <Chaos> for Leman Russ tanks and 23 other IG units. There was also a subsequent FAQ that expanded the number of IG datasheets that Renegades and Heretics can take.

We've been able to take Russes ever since the Lost and the Damned list came out in the Armageddon Codex way back in 3rd.

Sadly in some 40K editions our ability to ally with Chaos Marines did get a bit nerfed. But in this edition we can easily do so thanks to the <Chaos> keyword.

I did play in the 3rd, it was more my question since when we can use the regimental doctrines on our renegades or maybe I got the post wrong. So a Vahallan Detachment with a seperate Chaos Detachment in a Matched Play?

Edited by Nemerax

There are two ways of doing this scenario....

1) You use the FW crap. This replaces all of the AM wording to work with chaos (as stated by Tallarn, this only works with 23 IG units). Good in the sense of now you can use your chaos stuff alongside what you have. But you cannot use the Regimental Doctrines listed in the AM dex, nor anything else for that matter.

or

2) You use the AM dex, get all the fun stuff, convert to your hearts content and not use it alongside your chaos. Or you could use the AM dex and the Marine dex and use an equivalent chapter that fits your Legion you wish to play by.

On a side note, I used a spearhead detachment this past monday against my friends Death Guard. At 75 power points I had a Russ commander in a Vanq, one demolisher, one punisher, one executioner, one russ, two basilisks and three armoured sentinels. At the end of turn 5 I won by only one VP, but man was it a glorious fight to the end. Using the AM dex with the grinding assault on the russ turrets (specially on the executioner and punisher) was amazing. And of course the Valhallan doctrine came into play a lot. Overall I was extremely happy to once again be able to drop down my chaos armoured company and fight for the glory of the chaos gods.