Black Library Open Submission window 2018

Nineswords

I'm too much of a newbie to try for this but good luck everyone!!

Lies! Go for it anyway.

The fact that there one of the things they want is horror stories is really tempting indeed... 

I posted a summary of the advice given on Warhammer TV via Twitch last Thursday at http://www.thebolthole.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3491 . I'll cut and paste below, but feel free to visit the bolthole too. It was written during a watch through so the advice is in a bit of a random order.

Part 1 - Lottie LlewelynWells and John French.

- First line must be brilliant. Then first paragraph must be brilliant. And so on. Grip the editors.

- Best polished story preferred over multiple entries. Quality over quantity.

- Editors after one idea that intrigues them and quality of writing in sample - great characters, engaging prose.

- If you're not native UK use UK-English spell checker in Word. Use UK-English vernacular too. Not fatal but, saves editors time.

- Get critical test readers you trust and constructive feedback before submitting. Positive feedback not very helpful.

- (JF) Prose slightly more important than pitch as good idea poor prose is a no, but ok idea and great prose may result in offer for other pitch

- Good pitch = short - para - what it is about - chars - what they want - what is stopping them - how/why they get what they want or dont - tell ending'

- Good pitch = be clear - be direct - be precise - what it's about (reduce to core elements)

- Naming conventions not as important as editors may ask for name changes in any event

- Strong language - novels aimed at 12+. No f-word or c-word. Limited instances of swearing allowed. Think of clever ways of showing it. Use good judgement.

- Violence - Do not depict graphic gratuitous violence. No direct violence against women or children. No sexual violence. If in doubt - tone it down. What's the point of the violence? Does it serve the story? Again, think of clever ways of showing it.

- Think how story would fit in the range - grimdark/high fantasy.

- Don't try and mix all 6 themes. Perhaps 2-3 as a maximum.

- Good story mixture of action and dialogue - Not too much exposition/description. Don't just info dump in dialogue. Make dialogue realistic.

- Length - Short story - 5-7k words

- No preference for description, action or dialogue in sample - just want best writing. Take sample from best bit.

- Follow guidelines to the letter. Read all author advice and FAQs.

- Don't rush to submit - you have until April. Make it as good as you can make it.

Part 2 - Nick Kyme

- To give your sense the best chance try to write something that catches eye, perhaps something not seen before but close to background and what you would like to read.

- First line ultra-important

- Capture attention

- Think of audience = the editors

General writing advice

- Don't give up

- Read widely and keep writing to hone your skill

- Tell story in engaging way - avoid info dumps - make sure characters drive story

- Read writing advice

- Use critical testers to help you spot things that could be improved as this will help you develop a little objectivity when scrutinising your own work

I dare anyone to tell me what's implied at the end of fulgrim and the kinky torture in another short is aimed at 12 year olds.

Wonder why Slaanesh was hidden away in AoS so far...

Some concepts in the GW mythology are above what kids should be reading (imo) but that doesn't mean they won't set a bar for new entry writers.

Advice from Kyme. Dear Lord! I’m sorry. He’s not my favourite author at all.

Being an author would be fun. Good luck to all that enter.

It's worth noting that he has been an editor at BL for a long time, so even if his novels aren't your thing (which is more than fine), his advice has a good chance of being sound.

It's worth noting that he has been an editor at BL for a long time, so even if his novels aren't your thing (which is more than fine), his advice has a good chance of being sound.

Its also worth noting that BL has been in a downward spiral since hes been a editor. YMMV.

Lucky for him, he thinks he knows other stuff. But that just isnt true. The sooner hes gone, the better.

Its also worth noting that BL has been in a downward spiral since hes been a editor. YMMV.

Lucky for him, he thinks he knows other stuff. But that just isnt true. The sooner hes gone, the better.

Weird, because I was under the impression BL's doing quite well these days. What with old authors returning to the fold, interesting new series being commissioned, a refreshing lack of plot point for plot point tie-ins, and a greater degree of communication about upcoming releases. That must be just a psychout by BL before they transition into a new role as an entirely Kyme-centric publisher. Edited by cheywood

I don't see how opinions about Nick Kyme in either role come into it.

The fact is, the editor is a gatemaster. If the editor wants certain things and you ignore them, you could write to best book ever, but it won't get published.

Therefore if an editor is offering advice to new writers, who are looking to write for that specific publisher, I would tend to give weight to that advice even if I don't like that editor's work.

The other thing is, and this is something that I recall being said by Nick Kyme at a BLL which really grated with me at the time, the BL books are ''pulp''. I'm more willing to accept this now as not being a very bad thing - at the time I thought it was a silly thing to say to fans at BL event as, to me, it means rushed and trashy. I do think that this says more about the style and tone of the novels than the quality within genre fiction.

well, rather than address the content of kyme’s advice and say “oh i think the fourth line is more important” or “I disagree with nick’s point about not giving up. the key to success is to surrender and walk away asap” it’s easier to scoff and just dismiss it wholesale. helps keep the anger alive

Is there any evidence that he's an above-average editor...genuinely curious

I would assume that to know an editors worth one would have to be an author who has worked with a number of different people in said role?

I personally wouldn't know where to begin judging the quality of an editor, however someone who does work with Kyme is Guy Haley, confirming in this interview that Nick is his editor. Obviously judging the quality of a novel will come down to personal taste etc but if Kyme was Guys editor for Perturabo, Dark Imperium, Dante, Devistation of Baal & Shadowsword etc then i would like to assume that he's pretty damn good at his job...

Just food for thought :happy.:

-

Back on topic a little has anyone submitted a story or two yet? I'm on something ridiculous like my 3rd re-write of this short that I'm finding increasingly hollow and difficult to justify! Fun times lol!

Edited by JH79