Bought a bunch of MkIVs (60), wat do

Arion

Hi guys, just for a bit of context: I have an EC, SoH and IF army. All three more or less fleshed-out the way I want to. During Xmas time, I saw a great ebay listing with the following (all unpainted and brand new):

2 x red books (Crusade List and Legion List)

5 x cataphractii with double claws

5 x cataphractii with chainfist and combibolters

1 x Calth cataphractii praetor

10 x assembled marines with missile launchers (no glued pauldrons or head)

10 x assembled marines with meltas (no glued pauldrons or head)

20 x assembled marines with bolters (no glued pauldrons or head)

20 x marines on sprue (full sprues)

4 x boxes of ForgeWorld Salamanders pauldrons

Guy bought a few BaC boxes with the intent of doing a salamanders army, changed his mind, sold all of the above for quite cheap (40% discount more or less). So I snagged it up.

Since then, I've been debating what to do with them. I want to do an Iron Warriors army, but this requires mainly Mk3 iron armour if I want to be thematic and fluffy. I'm open to most legions but it has to be fluffy and somehow fun to play. I'm not a competitive player at all, I want to play with army lists that have credibility story-wise. So that being said, I thought about what armies (that I don't already own) that had mainly Mk4: UM, RG, AL, WB, Sallies, etc.

I'm torn, I don't know what to do and/or which legion to start. Sallies make sense but I just find them unappealing color-scheme wise and rules wise. What would you guys do? Curious to hear your opinions and ideas. Thanks in advance!

You thought about Shattered Legions or Blackshields? Gives you some flexibilty with colour scheme.

I also wouldn’t stress too much about what Legions had what armour MKs. I do get it, some just look better than others but you can reasonably justify all Legions having MKIV.

Can I also throw WE into the mix? I think they look pretty good in MKIV.

I would just stick with Iron Warriors. It's what you wanted to do, and anything else you add to the army can be in MkIII in the future.

- If you pick up a few Iron Warrior head upgrade sets from FW, you can sprinkle them into your MkIV guys to represent fresh intake with newer production armour and it will still look thematic. Iron Warriors Tacticals are just meat for the meat grinder anyway ;)

- You can dump a bunch of the heads (especially the one with the targeter) into the missile launcher squad and run them as Iron Havocs.

- You could still try to exchange the two full, unassembled sprues of MkIV for sprues of MkIII with someone?

I vote White Scars, you just don't see enough of them...

Only thing is I would hate to have tacticals as troop choices for White Scars... Not. Fast. Enough!

You thought about Shattered Legions or Blackshields? Gives you some flexibilty with colour scheme.

I also wouldn’t stress too much about what Legions had what armour MKs. I do get it, some just look better than others but you can reasonably justify all Legions having MKIV.

Can I also throw WE into the mix? I think they look pretty good in MKIV.

Shattered legion is interesting painting wise. Could do an Istvann thing with Sallies, Ravens and Iron Hands. I need to read up on the rules though, I have no idea how this translates to on the tabletop.

WE is not a bad idea. They do look good in MkIV as well. Thanks for your input guys.

I would just stick with Iron Warriors. It's what you wanted to do, and anything else you add to the army can be in MkIII in the future.

- If you pick up a few Iron Warrior head upgrade sets from FW, you can sprinkle them into your MkIV guys to represent fresh intake with newer production armour and it will still look thematic. Iron Warriors Tacticals are just meat for the meat grinder anyway :wink:

- You can dump a bunch of the heads (especially the one with the targeter) into the missile launcher squad and run them as Iron Havocs.

- You could still try to exchange the two full, unassembled sprues of MkIV for sprues of MkIII with someone?

Yes, my plan was to use the missile squad as Iron Havocs. As for cannon fodder tacs, I kind of feel bad using MkIVs but oh well... I'll have to check in my gaming club if anyone is willing to trade the sprues. It's a great idea! Community is very small here (Budapest, Hungary), but I might get lucky.

- If you pick up a few Iron Warrior head upgrade sets from FW, you can sprinkle them into your MkIV guys to represent fresh intake with newer production armour and it will still look thematic. Iron Warriors Tacticals are just meat for the meat grinder anyway :wink:

Yes, my plan was to use the missile squad as Iron Havocs. As for cannon fodder tacs, I kind of feel bad using MkIVs but oh well... I'll have to check in my gaming club if anyone is willing to trade the sprues. It's a great idea! Community is very small here (Budapest, Hungary), but I might get lucky.

I'll trade you up to 10 marines (MkIII) for 10 MK IV, Bratislava is not that far, pretty sure we can manage by post :wink:

Edited by Chmur