"Sisters of Battle are better than Space Marines"

BitsHammer

There was one thing I disagreed with him on.  Sisters armor is not 'nearly' as good as Marine armor, it is better.  It provides the same protection, and is thinner and lighter, thus allowing you more mobility.  (There might be some kind of force field generator in the boob plates.  That could  explain why they're so large.:wink: )

There was one thing I disagreed with him on.  Sisters armor is not 'nearly' as good as Marine armor, it is better.  It provides the same protection, and is thinner and lighter, thus allowing you more mobility.  (There might be some kind of force field generator in the boob plates.  That could  explain why they're so large.:wink: )

Sister armor is lighter because its not designed to enhance strength like space marine armor. in order to get the improved strength from power armor, you need the black carapace installed into your body to fully interface with the armor and enhance your strength. Sororitas power doesnt have the strength enhancement because they dont get the black carapace installed, so thats a lot of systems not installed in the armor allowing it to be smaller.

Space marine armor has a lot of technology, orbital communications and strength enhancement, filtration and environment systems (so they could fight in space or even underwater) that sororitas armor doesnt have. Sororitas power armor pretty much powers itself and has some local communication equipment on it but it doesnt have the environment and filtration systems, enhanced sensors and orbital comms that space marine power armor has. Not to mention space marine power armor can interface with weapon systems and other communication networks, giving them far more battlefield awareness.

So Sororitas get the 3+ armor save, but they dont get the +1 to strength or toughness like Astartes, not to mention tend to have less wounds on important models like HQ units.

Wait, stop!

Let's take the only set of manual that effectly shows different rules for the different pattern of Power Armor: the 40K RPG.

In the RPG the Sororitas PA is a Light pattern (than means it didn't affect your size, so Sisters still count as "medium") and deals 7 points of armor on the whole body but the chest plate that gives 8. Also it gives some strenght enhancement by 10 points.

The Aquila pattern SM PA, instead, is a Medium patter (it affects the size, making marines "hulking") and deals 8 points of armor on the whole body but the chest plate that gives 10 and it gives a +20 bonus to the strenght. Anyway due to the presence of the black carapace Space Marines are not affected by the negative effect of the hulking size (easier to be hitted) but only by the positive ones (a little speed bonus).

There are medium pattern of power armor for humans too and even heavy patterns (like the Iron pattern for Space Marines) that give even more protection and strenght bonuses but limits movement.

Anyway the +1 Strength and Toughness of the tabletop does not derive from the armor but by the physique of Space Marines: in the RPG they have the traits "Unnatural Strength" and "Unnatural Thoughtness" that makes them incredibly more powerful than an non-enhanced human.

Hey hey hey, thats space marine armour. Not space marines. The point is that sisters are better than marines, technology irrelevant :wink:

Also that. 

Edited by Ezr91aeL

I've always thought that SoB power armour must be better constructed for providing similar protection with less material. I was kind of worried when the Prospero box game came out with different dice, as I thought maybe GW had found a way to make SoB armour saves better than carapace armour but worse than space marine power armour. 8th edition keeping d6s was a bit of a relief.

I've always thought that SoB power armour must be better constructed for providing similar protection with less material. I was kind of worried when the Prospero box game came out with different dice, as I thought maybe GW had found a way to make SoB armour saves better than carapace armour but worse than space marine power armour. 8th edition keeping d6s was a bit of a relief.

The Mk4 Maximus, for example, give a protection practically equal to the SoB PA having in the RPG the value of 7 (9 on the chest) against the 7 (8 on the chest) of the Sisterhood one, so don't worry.

One point I’d like to make that often seems to get glossed over is that Celestine isn’t a “normal” living saint, there’s no mention of Dominica or her companions flying or shooting energy beams to smite chaos or resurrecting other Sisters, but they were all living saints by the time they died.

As for PA I’d assumed the Sisters stuff was equal protection but less bulky because it doesn’t have all the gadgets Marine PA does (including void sealing)

One point I’d like to make that often seems to get glossed over is that Celestine isn’t a “normal” living saint, there’s no mention of Dominica or her companions flying or shooting energy beams to smite chaos or resurrecting other Sisters, but they were all living saints by the time they died.

As for PA I’d assumed the Sisters stuff was equal protection but less bulky because it doesn’t have all the gadgets Marine PA does (including void sealing)

Wait for when we finally get our codex in M36, they'll be shooting psychic lighting out of the cloud of doves that come into being every step they take across the table.

RE: Sisters Power Armour

IIRC my Codex Witchhunters properly, it's the same as Marine power armour but doesn't have the same level of dexterity the Marines do because Sisters lack the neural interface of the Black Carapace that allows Marines to treat power armour like a second skin. Then again the Retributor/Heavy Weapon Sisters models seems to have some kind of gear for helping them haul around their weapons, so it could be the strength enhancement is basically just enough to carry the armour around (basically it's almost supporting itself for the wearer).

And no, the Sisters armour isn't void sealed like Marine armour. On the flip side the helmet comes standard with Preysense (which is kind of like a combination of IR and night vision IIRC) so it means Sisters with helmets are actually pretty good at finding targets, even in complete darkness.

The non-bulky armour makes sense when you think of it like thick medieval plate armour over an exoskeleton. Only the outermost half inch of material is the actual plasteel armour, plus whatever ablative ceramite and other elements are used (the sisters 'corset' looks very much like brigandine).

The marines are just ballooned out from a mix of their own physique, a void sealed life support machine, and enough servomusculature, structure reinforcement, over-engineered backup systems, and power cables to both survive and enhance the superhuman inside.

Ive always thought of the sisters cordet as just an aesthetic overlay that covers up the cables and segments you typically see on marines pa.

There is some art (in Codex Witchhunters I believe) where they don't have the corsets and instead they have overlapping plates of armour like Gravis Armour (though less fat obviously) or Dark Eldar.

Cool, never took any notice. Still, found the corset to be ornamental.

That's been my take as well. From a modelling standpoint I find that it's a good way to balance the other colors of the model (say a cold brown leather if it's warm colors, or a warm red leather if you have cold colors or blacks), and from an in universe sort of thing likely just helps cover any potential gaps in the power armour plating. Basically it's likely just there to prevent stuff like knives from just being stabbed through the gaps around the torso since that's the section that'll have the most flexibility and thus have the most potential places to slip a blade.

Ive always thought of the sisters cordet as just an aesthetic overlay that covers up the cables and segments you typically see on marines pa.

There is some art (in Codex Witchhunters I believe) where they don't have the corsets and instead they have overlapping plates of armour like Gravis Armour (though less fat obviously) or Dark Eldar.

Yes, pages 10 and 27 of the Witch Hunters Codex show Sisters in what essentially looks like high end plate armor and no corset covering it.

Yes, pages 10 and 27 of the Witch Hunters Codex show Sisters in what essentially looks like high end plate armor and no corset covering it.

The mistress model also lacks the corset, though has a variant armour.

In terms of the marine abdomen cables the sisters armour may not share them - three power lines are on the model down the back to the waist and along the legs while Celestines old model suggests the power for the arms are concealed under the sleeves.

I always kinda figured the 'corset' was a form of Dust Jacket. Environmental sealing not so much for the sister, but to keep grit out of the articulated abdominal plating to ensure smooth operation. Not 'gas proof' but good enough to keep out course dust and grit to increase time between maintenance cycles.

On 'lol half of the Space Marine legions fell to Chaos' - half the Legions were psychologically and to an extent genetically enslaved to monstrously powerful manchildren who came under the active attentions of the gods themselves, with no real form of spiritual preparation for it. 40k is meme-tastic enough, thank you.

On 'lol half of the Space Marine legions fell to Chaos' - half the Legions were psychologically and to an extent genetically enslaved to monstrously powerful manchildren who came under the active attentions of the gods themselves, with no real form of spiritual preparation for it. 40k is meme-tastic enough, thank you.

The Primarchs falling were machinated by those closest to them in many cases. Ahriman, Typhus, Erebus, Abbadon...

You can claim that they were set up to fall but the fact is that the Marines were starting to turn towards Chaos long before the Primarchs were coerced into joining.

Does it matter why, though? They were created to fight the enemies of man, and a bunch of normal humans do it better.

Does it matter why, though? They were created to fight the enemies of man, and a bunch of normal humans do it better.

Heck, the Guard do it better, and half of them were only trained en route to the warzone they'll die in.

You know, I'm starting to see why the Emperor was going to trash the Astartes project after the Imperium was settled.

Is not pride one of the ways to fall to chaos?

If that it so, half of us sisters players have fallen to the lure of chaos by this thread on its own.

We are part of shield of humanity. We serve and strengthen the others, as they do us. Together we are strong, but alas, alone and prideful, we are but lost children. Let us do what we sisters do best. Co-work and influence, instead of this pointless clapping on our own shoulders.

(we do have much better and cooler models though! :P)

It's not pride, just truth. :P I mean they're already mutants, and we know they're heretics for not fearing the God-Emperor's divine glory properly, and they're pretty bad at not being traitors....Basically urge the Space Marine in all it's forms! :P

Honestly Sisters not falling to chaos is just Imperial Propaganda, they are JUST simple women in power armor, nothing more nothing less. JUST A HUMAN, NOT A HOBBIT.

Its simply impossible for them not to turn to chaos.

There's only been one who's willingly fallen.

Sure, they are only human, but they are the best humanity has to offer, trained in battle, mind and spirit to fight the corruption of chaos.