Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500 Fast moving army

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Arentius

Arentius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Hey Folks,

So rolling off Christmas goodies I've attempted to build a list around them and was hoping for some feedback / pointers / major weaknesses

Battalion Detachment

HQ

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf

Frost Axe

Storm shield

Wolf Priest

Jump pack

Plasma Pistol

Troops

Grey Hunters x5 (4 hunters and 1 pack leader)

Intercessors x5

Intercessors x5

Elites

Wulfen x 7

6 Hammers and shields

Pack leader with frost claws

Heavy support

Long Fangs

4xplasma cannon

Pack leader with Plasma gun

WGPL with stormshield and chainsword

Outrider Detachment

HQ

Canis Wolfborn

Fast Attack

Fenrisian wolves x 7

Fenrisian Wolves x 7

Thunderwolf cavalry x5

Pack leader with twin Wolf claws

2 with twin Wolf Claws

2 with Wolf claw and Storm shield

Total cost 1497

Plan is for the cavalry to rush the squishier targets being screened by the smaller wolves (and whichever one gets into combat being buffed by Canis)

While the Wulfen go on the hunt to deepstrike in with the wolf priest staying in high orbit to sit with them and buff their attacks with those tasty rerolls munching through armour and heavy units.

Troops sit and cap objectives with plasma fangs popping heavy infantry / light vehicles

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,057 posts
  • Faction: 32nd Firedrakes

You do you plan to deal with vehicles? I can only see the wulfen and maybe the plasma fangs being able to damage vehicles and they would be my first targets (when they are on the board) to take out

Arentius

Arentius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts

I've had people focus everything on the wulfen before..I find the 3++ and 5 +++ makes them exceptionally resilient. Also with using the on the hunt strat I'll dump them 9" from the vehicles I want to target, with the reroll to fail charges I'm confident in making more charges than I'll fail.

So far The only thing thats wiped out my wulfen is a unit of 20 pox walkers buffed by Typhus

WolfPriestBarachiel

WolfPriestBarachiel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11 posts
Hmmm for me intercessors are kinda waste of points. If i were you i'd use some GH instead. EVENTUALLY you can get termies who are universally good

Karhedronuk

Karhedronuk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,876 posts

Also with using the on the hunt strat I'll dump them 9" from the vehicles I want to target, with the reroll to fail charges I'm confident in making more charges than I'll fail.

Even with a reroll, Wulfen only have a 48% chance of making a 9" charge so you will still fail more charges than you pull off.

Also, you may not be able to deploy 9" away from the vehicle you want to charge as many opponents deploy cheap infantry near valuable units like vehicles to push back the distance that units entering from Reserve can manage.

Don't get me wrong, Thunder Hammers will wreck vehicles but it may be harder to pull off the charge than you expect against canny opponents. I would strongly advise getting some Lascannons in there somehow. The ability to reach out and inflict serious damage on tough targets from long range should not be underestimated.

Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Hear da Lamentation

Hear da Lamentation

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 955 posts
I was trying to do maths hammer on the chance to charge. I'm making it more like 70%.

You only need to get 8" on the charge. There's a 50% chance of getting a 7 or more and you get reroll ...

Question on this. Do you have to reroll both dice or can you reroll one (if one of your rolls was 6 for instance)? If you can this increases the chance above.

HDL

Arentius

Arentius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts
Honestly the intercessors are because they’re the only troops models I have so I have to work with them.

With regards to on the hunt, Just deploying across the board often causes enough disruption and if I don’t get the turn 1 I’ll get number 2.

I’ve been considering a second longfang squad but again I’d likely go multi meltas, and use on the hunt to have them all instantly within melta range.

For the wulfen charge reroll, it says reroll failed charges so I assume both dice

Karhedronuk

Karhedronuk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,876 posts

I was trying to do maths hammer on the chance to charge. I'm making it more like 70%.

You only need to get 8" on the charge. There's a 50% chance of getting a 7 or more and you get reroll ...

Unfortunately when you deploy from Reserves, you have to deploy more than 9" away from the enemy. That is important because it means in order to get within 1" on the charge, you need to roll a 9, not an 8. If you deploy 9.0001" away from the enemy and roll an 8, you would be 1.0001" away which is a failed charge.

The chance of pulling off a 9" charge is 28% or 48% with a reroll. I am not saying it is undoable but it is important to know what your odds are before you commit to this tactic. As I said, infantry screens will push this back and may make it impossible to assault your preferred target on the turn the Wulfen arrive.

Question on this. Do you have to reroll both dice or can you reroll one (if one of your rolls was 6 for instance)? If you can this increases the chance above.

If an ability lets you reoll failed charges, you have to reroll both dice. However, if you roll a 6 and 1 for example, you can spend a Command Point to just reroll the 1 as a CP only rerolls a single dice.

Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Hear da Lamentation

Hear da Lamentation

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 955 posts
Thanks for clarification. The more than 9" is a kicker for sure.
HDL
  • Karhedronuk likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users