For Fun: Wishlisting Unique Legion Units

Khornestar

The idea came up in another thread to have unique legion units.

For the hell of it, if you could design a unit for your favorite legion (or any/all of them), what would they be like? What rules/gear would they have?

I have often dreamed of a Berzerkers/Chosen on juggernauts unit (even built them, to proxy as bikers), and that could work for World Eaters. I’d have them armed with hellblades stock, with the ability to upgrade any/all models to have a Sx2 greataxe of sorts. They’d still have the Blood for the Blood God rule.

Thousand Sons: psyker upgrade for Helbrutes/contemptors/leviathans, armed with force weapons.

Word Bearers: I really like the idea of the Diabolist HQ from 30k. Perhaps an upgrade to lords, Sorcerers, and dark apostles. Something related to summoning... just not sure what. Maybe can summon at the end of the movement phase? Or maybe instead he projects an aura of possession, so units within range gain the daemon keyword/5++ and can benefit from daemon-based buffs? Perhaps an alternate option to project buffs for daemon units? A feel no pain or somesuch to represent the fact that he’s anchoring the daemons in realspace, maybe?

Alpha Legion... a sniper unit of sorts? They can already infiltrate.

Black Legion: tough one, because Chosen already exist, and I guess Bringers of Despair are just terminators. Maybe the 6th edition buff to WS/BS for bringers of Despair (+1 to both, IIRC). That would be pretty sweet.

Iron Warriors... I dunno. Same with Emperor’s Children and Night Lords. Death Guard already have tons of unique options in their codex.

Black Legion: tough one, because Chosen already exist, and I guess Bringers of Despair are just terminators. Maybe the 6th edition buff to WS/BS for bringers of Despair (+1 to both, IIRC). That would be pretty sweet.

Black Legion (not only him by the way) need more named HQ. We have a lot of them from books. 

Because CSM kinda stick with Abaddon mostly, despite your preferences for your Legion, if you want to be competative. Because fearless units, +2 CP, deepstrike and full rerolls for EVERYTHING is really great only for 240 points. 

Lucius is just a chaos lord, really

Huron is just a light version of Abaddon and he stick with Red Corsair, which, kinda, kills the ability to make your own Warband. 

Sypher is... just a troll if you are troll enough to make him your Warlord. 

Fhabius is good for Possessed or other melee units, outside of that useless. 

Khârn only good in World Eaters, outside of that he is pointless. 

DG have good heroes, but I can't count them as CSM anymore along side with Magnus and Ariman (those guys are great)

Arkos is bad, because he gives rerolls only for Faintless and Alpha Legion trait is better. He can  be used, but more for fun, even with his +1 command point. For Alpha... at least something. 

Zhuphor... well, he is fun, but again for specific warband. For World Eaters... he do no so much, because now HQ are more buffers than actual fighters. 

This DG guy from Imperial armor... we have Typhus and Plague Surgeon, forget about him. 

And that is it mostly. Other legions don't have any named characters, but they do have them in fluff. Meanwhile loyalists have plenty of HQ's, especially Smurfs. 

Hey Stross? Your note on Arkos is inaccurate. Legion traits are selected separately from keywords. You can use the FAITHLESS keyword and the Alpha Legion trait together. For example, look at Huron’s sheet. He has the RED CORSAIR keyword but will use the Renegades trait. So...Arkos is a good choice for that extra CP.

Edit: On topic though, I’d like to see the Alphas get some sort of Headhunters or Seekers ported over from HH. Basically Chosen with Infiltrate built in (save us the CP expenditure) and maybe some new or different weapon options.

Edited by Iron Father Ferrum

For Emperor's Children:

Palatine Blades and Phoenix Guard Terminators as 40k versions of the 30k HH units. Just like Deathshroud got updated for 40k for Death Guard.

EC was also a heavy fast attack with bikers. Why not have some new 40k version of Slaanesh steeds?

Sonic weaponry like mad on model options. The old FW Sonic Dreadnought is an example. Have sonic options for Helbrutes, Defilers, Heldrakes, etc. Why not have some new vehicles like the plagueburst crawlers that use sonic weapons? Maybe *GASP* a unique transport?

Updated noise marines with more sonic weapon options.

Hey Stross? Your note on Arkos is inaccurate. Legion traits are selected separately from keywords. You can use the FAITHLESS keyword and the Alpha Legion trait together. For example, look at Huron’s sheet. He has the RED CORSAIR keyword but will use the Renegades trait. So...Arkos is a good choice for that extra CP.

The army must be Battleforged, so have a similiar keyword <Legion>, in our case Alpha Legion or Faithless. Yes, we can take Arkos in both, he probably can take Alpha Legion Warlord Trait as well in Faithless army. But he can't provide rerolls for Alpha Legion guys in Alpha Legion Detachment, because they would not share his keyword Faithless in that case.

Edited by Stross

I can agree with the sentiment of bringing the Tyrant Siege Terminators from 30k into 40k but I would want them to be seriously beefed up. I could envision them model wise with huge storm shields or outrageous weaponry going on, perhaps even some sort of hybrid oblit virus going on. Still very much terminators, but very much having become one with their weapons and their purpose.

For vehicles I wouldn't mind seeing a vindicator for the good old boys of the 4th that had some more nut to it. But I would love even more to see some glorious dreads all done up for siege.

The army must be Battleforged, so have a similiar keyword <Legion>, in our case Alpha Legion or Faithless. Yes, we can take Arkos in both, he probably can take Alpha Legion Warlord Trait as well in Faithless army. But he can't provide rerolls for Alpha Legion guys in Alpha Legion Detachment, because they would not share his keyword Faithless in that case.

He doesn't provide anyone rerolls...

I'd wishlist these, with a handful of characters thrown in for good measure:

Emperor's Children:

- Some kind of Sonic Cult Terminator - bring back 3.5!

- Phoenix Guard (maybe even in power armour, like the original novels, instead of terminator armour)

- Lord Commander Eidolon (give us a competent EC character)

Iron Warriors

- Corrupted Automata

- Tyrant Siege in 40k?

- Honsou (if a character counts)

Night Lords

- Atramentar

World Eaters

- Red Butchers/generic Cult Terminators

Death Guard

-

Thousand Sons

- Psychic automata

Black Legion

- The Aphotic Blade

- Various characters from ADB's novels

Word Bearers

- Gal Vorbak/some kind of super possessed

Alpha Legion

- Headhunters

Well Id love to start out with a plastic Dreadclaw. I think all CSM would benifit from this.

Other than that I see some great ideas allready. What Id like is perhaps somewhat out of the box but hey, it is wishlisting :)

AL: An infiltrating Undivided Hydra spawn. Basically filling a Daemonic role that is without marks. Could be a clone gone wrong basically. In addition Id say their Cultist should probably have more wargear options.

BL: Id like to see 4 BL marked characters in one unit. As in a champ of each god united under Abaddons will. Terminators would probably fit the bill the best although its different from the artwork we have for them.

EC: Next to logical Sonic wargear I think a new unit of dualists would be very cool. Could be in termy armour but also maby not. I think a perfected Slaanesh Primaris can appear here too.

IW: I think they are decently well represented. More siege tank options would be cool. Something new would fit their design here. In addition I think their automatons would make sence for 40k also. Not unlike the DG crawler.

DG: I feel they are fleshed out really well right now. Maby more later.

WB: Much can be done here. Id love to see a vehicle spreading their word basically. In addition mixing Daemons should make sence for them and Id like to see them have Possessed with all kinds of Wargear.

WE: Berzerker Terminators and a Bloodstoker/Bloodsecrator equivelant. Which eventually will likely come. A "Nail Scorcher" would be cool. A HQ that for example allows them to advance and charge at the same time per unit at the cost of rolling D6 and end with D3 mortal wounds if a 1 is rolled. In addition I assume GW will adopt the FW scorpion/crabby design for them aswell.

NL: Assassins, Id say they make the most sence here. SM assassins are a cool concept but also a concept Id say would be unique to them. Theyd make a good Elite choice option for them. Thinking Jump Pack double Lightning Claw and build in special Pistol.

TS: As mentioned I think they will recieve their Psyker Dreads. In addition theyd also have non-Helbrute Dreads and Id also like them to have a human cultist psyker unit. Probably lead by one Rubric. There are rumours they will have a Mutalith too and this makes sence to me aswell. I basically view them more like Daemonic beast instead of spawn.

Edited by Commissar K.

I'm going to throw out something different, I know it's never going to happen but I'd love to see a "Teeth of Khorne" unit with special rules like some kind of fire frenzy or being able to shoot heavy on the move without penalty etc.

If I ever get around to making a World Eater force I will 100% include a unit of heavy Bolter/autocannon havocs just to mimic this unit, even if it's not effective on the tabletop I don't care. I just love the image of it. Can't remember which GW book it was exactly that had the official artwork for it with the berserker carrying a heavy Bolter it will always be my favorite piece...

Alpha Legion Operatives: basically chaos Tempestus Scions with infiltrate to represent the guys they've trained for saboteur work as opposed to the cultist rabble. A sniper unit would be pretty cool too.

World Eaters: Berserkers on Juggernauts!

In general, I'd like the full gamut of Cult Marine variants. Terminators being the main one, but imagine sonic bikers!?! That'd look sick!

Dragonlover

World Eaters: Berserkers on Juggernauts!

Berzerker on Juggernauts for sure. Never liked that in fantasy no Chaos Warrior other than HQs could ride on Juggernauts since it would make awesome as hell heavy cavalry and I don't like it much in 40k either. ^^

Hear, hear! :D

I always wanted them to be a mount for any of our characters, the way bikes/jump packs were available in previous editions. Sadly, this will never happen in 8th/beyond so long as the "only models with rules" thing continues. Relegating the lord on juggernaut to the index was a sad move, but it is a fantasy model. :(

Alpha Legion Operatives: basically chaos Tempestus Scions with infiltrate to represent the guys they've trained for saboteur work as opposed to the cultist rabble. A sniper unit would be pretty cool too.

+1 this - some elite cultists for Alpha Legion. Throw in a demo charge as well.