[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

I can break it down real easy:

Accurate: adds damage based on the number of DoS on the shot

Toxic: Does damage that by passes armour and toughness, if target is immune to toxic damage, damage does not apply

Felling: ignores one level of Unnatural Toughness (or Unnatural toughness 4 in BC/OW publications)

:yes:

But yes, that thing is brutal at killing targets if it gets a good hit.... also it makes a great opening shot as it is silent.:whistling:

I think after this mission Atratus should  get that thing as signature wargear as soon as he can, it fits his character like a glove.

IIRC it was too expensive for the regular level of signature wargear, so i'll have to wait a bit. Will have to pick up some micro-explosive flechette rounds before we fight more toxic immune things though...

While it's not come up yet the silent nature of the weapon could come in handy in future missions, targets don't explode like they do with bolter sniping.

I think after this mission Atratus should  get that thing as signature wargear as soon as he can, it fits his character like a glove.

IIRC it was too expensive for the regular level of signature wargear, so i'll have to wait a bit. Will have to pick up some micro-explosive flechette rounds before we fight more toxic immune things though...

While it's not come up yet the silent nature of the weapon could come in handy in future missions, targets don't explode like they do with bolter sniping.

Rank 2, Signature Wargear (master) 1k xp, but it has to be the same item as rank 1 Signature Wargear 500xp... the nice part is the rank 2 version lets it be up to 40 requ... If you took both at the same time maybe CM would let you apply it to that rifle as it is 25 req.

I do like the idea of nano-explosive rounds for it though, that has some real potential.

Edited by Steel Company

CM, let me know what you think of this:

From his spot on the ground Ryken looked up to see the giant in black standing between two of the fiends, his head moving from left to right in an attempt to keep an eye on both of the beasts that circled him. The claws of the xenos swiping and snapping at him, teeth gnashing, they clearly through they were the apex predator here.

OOC:

Genestealer B;

Dodge Tyber’s melee attack

TN 70 (Agi 60, +10 Dodge skill)

dodge test: 1d100 67 Pass with no DoS

He watched as the giant lashed out with his black blade, the edge skipping along the carapace of one, but not digging in as it rolled out of way slightly with an almost unnatural quickness to it.

The thing had it’s back to him now, a perfect shot, Ryken raised his plasma pistol, taking aim at the back of the beast while he got back to his feet from the giant knocking him to the ground.

OOC:

Single Shot at the back of Genestealer B

TN: 54 (BS 44 +10 Master Work Plasma Pistol?)

Plasma pistol shot on Genestealer B: 1d100 40 Hit 1 DoS or just a hit if Plasma Pistol is not master work.

Location 04; head

Plasma pistol damage: 1d10+7 12 Pen 6 (mortal plasma pistols…)

(Again assuming master work, if not master work than 11 damage)

Armour 6 (0)

Toughness 6

Total damage 6

The beast squealed in surprise, the shot had hurt it, momentarily the brood mate looked away from the giant, before lashing out at him again.

OOC:

Genestealer A

Melee attack at Tyber

TN: 75 (WS 65 +10 ganging up)

melee attack against Tyber: 1d100 75 Hit

Genestealer damage: 1d10+12 22 Pen 5

Tyber will attempt to dodge the blow:

TN: 68 (Agi 48 +20 dodge skill)

dodge test: 1d100 52 pass with 1 DoS

Ryken watched as the giant stepped to the side, of the beast and out of the way of the strike in an almost masterful dance, the second beast looked at him, then back to the giant, as if weighing the options before it, a heartbeat passed before the best returned to attack the giant.

OOC:

Genestealer B

Melee attack at Tyber

TN: 75 (WS 65 +10 ganging up)

melee attack against Tyber: 1d100 90 miss with 1 DoF

The beat’s claws dug into the walls, as again the giant in an almost impossible speed for someone the size of him, rolled his shoulder under the beast when it struck, deflecting the strike to the wall. As the beast pushed off the wall the giant lashed out with both of his blades.

OOC:

Tyber, full melee attack against Genestealer B

TN: 44 (WS 54, -20 two weapon fighting, +10 Ambidextrious)

Arming sword:

Meleet attack agaisnt Genesteeler B: 1d100 34 Hit 1 DoS

Chain Sword:

Meleet attack agaisnt Genesteeler B: 1d100 70

Arming sword swift attack:

Meleet attack agaisnt Genesteeler B: 1d100 38 Hit

All damage resolved at Pen 3

Arming sword damage: 1d10+17 25

Armour 6 (3)

Tougness 6

Damage 25 -9 = 14

Arming Sword swift attack damage: 1d10+17 25

Armour 6 (3)

Tougness 6

Damage 25 -9 = 14

Genestealer B will attempt to dodge first swing:

TN: 70 (Agi 60, +10 Dodge skill)

dodge test: 1d100 27 Pass with 4 DoS

The beast twisted and contorted it’s body rolling over the first swing with the giant’s black blade, his chain sword digging into the wall where the beast had been, but it was the back swing with the black blade that bit into the beasts right leg, a spray of ichor landed on the floor, the blow had been strong and cut it deeply.

Seeing his chance Ryken again squeezed off a shot with his plasma pistol, taking a moment to get a better aim on the beast.

OOC:

Ryken shooting at Genestealer B

TN: 54 (BS 44 +10 Master Work Plasma Pistol?)

Plasma pistol shot on Genestealer B: 1d100 16 Hit, 3 DoS

Plasma pistol damage: 1d10+7 17 Pen 6

roll to confirm RF: 1d100 90

Armour 6 (0)

Toughness 6

Total Damage: 11

The shot hit home, the body of the xenos burst into flames, chitin cracking open like an egg while burning away from the insides out before falling to the ground as nothing but a burnt out shell. The second beast leapt at him, claws out, the look in those yellow eyes suggesting that it had somehow miscalculated the threat that Ryken had posed.

OOC:

Genestealer A

Melee attack at Ryken

TN: 65 (WS 65)

melee attack against Ryken: 1d100 40 hit, 2 DoS

melee damage for Genestealer: 1d10+12 20 Pen 10 (Razor sharp quality doubles pen with 2 or more DoS)

Tyber will attempt to parry the blow for Ryken

TN: 64 (WS 54 +10 Balanced on chainsword)

Parrry: 1d100 53 pass, 1 DoS

As the thing sailed through the air at him, the giant moved with speed he didn’t expect, the chainsword of the giant coming down in a heavy arch, right behind the beast’s out streached claws, knocking it off target and into the ground, losing no speed the giant followed up with swings of his own.

OOC:

Tyber, full melee attack against Genestealer A

TN: 44 (WS 54, -20 two weapon fighting, +10 Ambidextrious)

Arming sword:

Meleet attack agaisnt Genesteeler A: 1d100 30 hit, 1 DoS

Chainsword:

Meleet attack agaisnt Genesteeler A: 1d100 22 Pass, 2 DoS

Arming sword swift attack:

arming sword attack: 1d100 34 pass 1 DoS

Arming Sword Damage:

Arming sword damage: 1d10+17 21 Pen 3

Armour 6 (3)

Tougness 6

Damage: 12

Chainsword damage:

Chainsword damage: 1d10+15 24

chainsword tearing: 1d10+15 25 Pen 3

RF damage:

Chainsword RF damage: 1d10 5

Total: 30 damage Pen 3

Armour 6 (3)

Tougness 6

Damage: 21

Arming Sword Sift attack damage:

Arming Sword swift attack damage: 1d10+17 22 Pen 3

Armour 6 (3)

Tougness 6

Damage: 13

Genestealer A will attempt to dodge chain sword attack:

TN: 70 (Agi 60, +10 Dodge skill)

dodge test: 1d100 38 Pass with 2 DoS

Still taking damage from other two attacks, total taken 25, putting it at -5

The first blow from the giant was savage, striking the target cleanly in the back of the head before it had been able to recover from being knocked off target, regaining what little sense the beast had it rolled to the right, out of the way as the whirling chainsword came down very close to its left arm, again digging out chuncks of floor, but it was the giant’s back swing with his ebony blade that caught it in the chest as it stood, ripping a massive gash across the chest, if it was possible Ryken thought the beast looked surprised. Taking his chance Ryken fired his pistol at the beast, reducing it too to a burnt out shell.

For a few moments the two of them looked at each other, neither saying a word, both breathing heavily, it was the giant that spoke first; +We need to get down to meet up with the rest of the team… perhaps you are useful Interrogator, thank you for the assitance.+

Rolling his eyes under his hood, Ryken nodded towards the giant before speaking: “Take the lead then.”

Switching to his squad level vox, Tyber spoke to the squad: +Forced Entry team is searching for a way down now, Genestealer ambush defeated.+

Switching to Akkad’s channel, he added +It was close Ahu, perhaps our Interrogator is useful with that plasma pistol of his…+

Edited by Steel Company

Swordhand Players: 

As the next part of creating your characters, the members of Kill-Team Swordhand have 40 requisition each to gain extra equipment. 

[...[]

In addition: 

Weapon Upgrades per p.157 of the core rulebook; useful for things like sights, melee attachments and the like;

Special Issue Ammunition per P.159 

(Hellfire Rounds at 25/magazine, Kraken at 5/magazine, Metal Storm at 15/magazine, Stalker Rounds at 5/magazine - all of these costs halved for pistols!) 

Any other equipment (such as auspexes, etc.,) from either the core rulebook or the Rites of Battle lists. 

Let me know if you have any queries regarding this; 

I'll head to the armoury and requisition the following:

• Astartes Bolter (Godwyn) [5]
  • Astartes Chainsword [5]
  • Melta bomb [12]
  • Bulkhead shears [17]

This leaves just 1 requisition over.

Apologist - you have a bolter as part of your standard equipment. If you check P8 (Section 1.4) of Index Xenomortis, all Space Marines start with:

• Astartes Bolt Pistol
  • 3 Frag Grenaes
  • 3 Krak Grenades
  • Astartes Combat Knife
  • Repair Cement

In addition, Apothecaries have:

• Bolter with Fire Selector
  • Reductor
  • Narthecium

Which means you have additional requisition, should you need it.

Apologist - you have a bolter as part of your standard equipment. If you check P8 (Section 1.4) of Index Xenomortis, all Space Marines start with:

[...]

Which means you have additional requisition, should you need it.

D'oh! Spotted the other bits, but missed the boltgun itself. In that case, I'll simply take a magazine of Kraken rounds in place of the bolter.

I do think the rules around Special Issue Ammunition don't really reflect the Deathwatch as they are now. Severely limiting ammunition so much when really all Marines should have access to all... I don't know whether it would take away from the Tactical Marine, to reduce req costs (or eliminate them entirely.)

On one hand CM, you are right. The current fluff of the Deathwatch doesn't reflect this game's restriction on special ammo. On the other hand, special ammo helps bolters keep pace with later weapon types.

I'd suggest perhaps reducing the costs on them or increasing the number of clips received when taking them. That is based purely on the fact that they have such a huge impact on the mission, but it is easy to waste a clip against agile foes.

I couldn't get online to say it earlier, Mazer - but really liked your updated post. 

Steel: It's something I'm thinking about. I am slowly trying to work on a revised rulebook which incorporates some of the material from the other source books, and as part of it I'm planning on bringing some of the new Deathwatch stuff over. When the Sternguard of Space Marine Chapters can use these ammunition types, it seems a shame that players miss out on one of the core aspects of the Deathwatch! 

I couldn't get online to say it earlier, Mazer - but really liked your updated post. 

Appreciated Mol. :smile.:

On one hand CM, you are right. The current fluff of the Deathwatch doesn't reflect this game's restriction on special ammo. On the other hand, special ammo helps bolters keep pace with later weapon types.

I'd suggest perhaps reducing the costs on them or increasing the number of clips received when taking them. That is based purely on the fact that they have such a huge impact on the mission, but it is easy to waste a clip against agile foes.

The only caution I'd have about spec ammo is that it might not suit the New Model Army, but it is internally balanced.  Having said that, 20 Req for 250 heavy bolter rounds?  Sign me up.

MR: If this had been a more laid-back RP session, you would've missed a golden opportunity to have Akkad scream "Aaaaah, they're coming out of the wall sphincters!" with that last post. :wink:

Maybe next time chap. :thumbsup:

MR.

Update up, taking us to start of Round 2 - Steel, I will reply to your PM as soon as I am able. 

This post made me realise I don't understand the rules (and rolls) for throwing a grenade. Mostly because most of you just drop them at your feet. The rules for throwing only explain at the end of them at they don't apply to grenades. Is it just BS test, and then a miss is a scatter result?

Update up, taking us to start of Round 2 - Steel, I will reply to your PM as soon as I am able. 

This post made me realise I don't understand the rules (and rolls) for throwing a grenade. Mostly because most of you just drop them at your feet. The rules for throwing only explain at the end of them at they don't apply to grenades. Is it just BS test, and then a miss is a scatter result?

Take your time CM, I'm in no rush.

As for my understanding of the grenade rules, that's pretty much how they work. the range is limited to your STR bounce in meters as well.

Yup, SBx3 for all thrown weapons... but I've taken that to mean optimal range, with the usual range brackets applying as well in the past... it all really depended on if I wanted a more fantastical game or a more grounded game when running it...

Still even using Sabaan's mechanical arm, assuming it is between 4-5 base +2 from PA is putting us at 6-8 as a base number... or 18-24m throwing distance for a grenade going by R.A.W.

Thing is, in the real world longest throw of a base ball happened in 1957 for a distance of almost 136m by Glen Gorbous... so I'm not opposed to putting in the range brackets for thrown weapons.... especially when one takes into account how much weight an Astartes can push/pull/lift.

In the end it's your call, I'm just happy to help where I can CM.

As above, grenades work just like a BS attack with a miss scattering and a jam blowing up in your hand IIRC. SB x 3 as the range - although I rule that's for where you want it.  Anything over that and it starts taking accuracy penalties - after all, a baseball might go 300 metres if Sabaan heaves it, but baseballs don't explode or weigh what a bomb does - or cost more than a human being to make...

MR.

With the cover in front of the Kill-Team rapidly disappearing, I'd like Vaidan to declare a Bolter Assault (p.221 of the Core Rulebook.) It states that after Vaidan declares it, all Brothers within support range "may make an immediate Charge Move and a Standard Attack with a bolter, bolt pistol or storm bolter... alternatively they may use their Standard Attack to throw a grenade."

But how does this work? The rules for charging say that an enemy must be within charge range, and then the character does a "single melee attack." - Is it just that Marines may "move up to their charge distance" and then perform a ranged attack? That seems to be my logical understanding.

Q

A.T., Xin, Slips, Nineswords: What would you want to do with your free move and attack?