[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Pleased to see you swinging into action. I am back at work now for the first time since we found out about my fiancee - but that actually means I have a bit more computer time than I did previously. I'm keen to see some posts from you all! 

Speaking of your Lady, how is she doing? For that matter, how are you both doing?

We're getting there, the doctors are positive at the moment. 

Nineswords has promised me a post tomorrow, a Greysight/Varvost double bill! 

I will likely update next on Sunday or Monday. 

Hope all are well, 

Martin

Managed to sort out today most of what I need for the next and final part of our tutorial - squad mode mechanics and cohesion. I'm keen to explore how this works fully and in depth. I've created the map and got the statline for your opposition. Just got to get there!

I'm happy that things are finally gearing up in the right direction!

Managed to sort out today most of what I need for the next and final part of our tutorial - squad mode mechanics and cohesion. I'm keen to explore how this works fully and in depth. I've created the map and got the statline for your opposition. Just got to get there!

I'm happy that things are finally gearing up in the right direction!

Just remeber, that the Horde mechanic can be deadly, if the weapons are powerful, even the humble Lazgun can become a serious threat when you start to pile on D10's from the Horde damage mechanics....

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/075/538/23f.jpg

Just remeber, that the Horde mechanic can be deadly, if the weapons are powerful, even the humble Lazgun can become a serious threat when you start to pile on D10's from the Horde damage mechanics....

Sorry, can't hear you over the awesome sound of heavy bolters and this frag cannon....:biggrin.:

MR.

Sorry, can't hear you over the awesome sound of heavy bolters and this frag cannon....:biggrin.:

MR.

Want to see something ugly?

Tau Pule Rifle

Range 150m 1D10+12 Pen 4...

Give it to a Mag 30 horde...

150m 3D10+12 pen 4

Average damage for a Mag 30 horde with Pulse Rifles : 28 damage Pen 4...

Torso hit (highest probability of hit location) vs Astartes in Mk. VII plate: Armour 10, becomes 6 with TB of 8, so that 28 damage gets reduced by 14, so the Astartes in this example would be eating 14 wounds, that's off of one hit, the Pulse Rifle is S/3/-, meaning it is possible for them to do up to 42 wounds vs an Astartes in one good round of shooting....

Yes I have used that against a party before, and yes it did force two players to burn fate points on that mission.... I had them caught in the cross fire of two units like that...

That being said, the Heavy Bolter will do a number on a horde, so will frag grenades.... Just saying that just because their individual weapons are weak, they are still potent when used en-mass....

Uuh, you might have have noticed that I was a bit over-enthuastic back there :(

Unfortunately, there is some work related hick ups I have to look into that is taking up my time and is keeping my head busy. I am also looking into some options for voice recording on the IPad to speed up my posts.

So, I ' ll follow Nine here and put in a place holder. Hopefully, I will sorted this out by this week end.

But it's good to see you are keeping the pace and enjoying yourselves here! Also, Mol, happy to hear your significant Other is doing well!

Also, potential plan for planetfall: send Raptor and Storm Son down via shuttle to do a reccie of the area to find a suitable spot to teleport everyone else down to. Not keen on going in blind via TP unless we find plans of the area we're going down to and we can zoom in with the ship optics to see state of potential DZs.

Thoughts?

Thinking about it, couldnt all our jump pack bois also do a low-orbit drop onto the planet (no shuttle landing required) for recon work?

That way, while, yes, theyll have our ship detected, the shuttle could hide in its shadow abd just do a fly-by drop off of the JPCrew who can then make a controlled decent to the surface. 3 Astartes Sized blobs, in the grand scheme of things, are harder to detect than even a shuttle after all.

It also would give them the necessary gear for them to bug out ASAP if they get into trouble.

Thinking about it, couldnt all our jump pack bois also do a low-orbit drop onto the planet (no shuttle landing required) for recon work?

That way, while, yes, theyll have our ship detected, the shuttle could hide in its shadow abd just do a fly-by drop off of the JPCrew who can then make a controlled decent to the surface. 3 Astartes Sized blobs, in the grand scheme of things, are harder to detect than even a shuttle after all.

It also would give them the necessary gear for them to bug out ASAP if they get into trouble.

That's kind of what Steel proposed IC, and I was going to suggest, although I was going to suggest a little further on from that.

A ) Direct Action: Jump Packers drop from orbit outside the city limits and stealth it in.  Maybe Atratus only as he's ideal for the job (Up to you AT) Then they secure the spaceport.  We don't know the defences of the place or if they are in rebel hands, so ground attack against AA targets sounds like the way to go.  Then we shuttle in to the spaceport and make the LZ secure for Ryken and maybe if Dimitar is willing, a small complement of Armsmen to keep everything tidy for our retreat.

We could cover the insertion of the JP team by dropping some debris in from orbit.

B )  Covert Action: Jump packers land outside city limits, secure small LZ way away from the city.  We are Space Marines, we run over mountains without sweating.  The shuttle drops us off without landing just like they did it back in the day, Ryken jumps or gets my boot up his er ear-spout.  The shuttle leaves.  We run in.

We then use the teleportation as emergency exfil if required.  It's easier to up than down.

Exterminatus options:  We drop two derelict spaceships onto the city.  Done.

Thoughts?

Edit: This "Hmmmmmm!" From Mol does not fill me with confidence. :teehee: 

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I'm enjoying the debate going on about boarding the ships... I'm leaning into one of the traits of Tyber's chapter...

They use the challenge trial, so Tyber will not disobey a command from a superior, but he is not above challenging it, when he feels he is in the right.:yes:

That's kind of what Steel proposed IC, and I was going to suggest, although I was going to suggest a little further on from that.

A ) Direct Action: Jump Packers drop from orbit outside the city limits and stealth it in.  Maybe Atratus only as he's ideal for the job (Up to you AT) Then they secure the spaceport.  We don't know the defences of the place or if they are in rebel hands, so ground attack against AA targets sounds like the way to go.  Then we shuttle in to the spaceport and make the LZ secure for Ryken and maybe if Dimitar is willing, a small complement of Armsmen to keep everything tidy for our retreat.

We could cover the insertion of the JP team by dropping some debris in from orbit.

B )  Covert Action: Jump packers land outside city limits, secure small LZ way away from the city.  We are Space Marines, we run over mountains without sweating.  The shuttle drops us off without landing just like they did it back in the day, Ryken jumps or gets my boot up his er ear-spout.  The shuttle leaves.  We run in.

We then use the teleportation as emergency exfil if required.  It's easier to up than down.

Exterminatus options:  We drop two derelict spaceships onto the city.  Done.

Thoughts?

Edit: This "Hmmmmmm!" From Mol does not fill me with confidence. :teehee: 

MR.

I like the idea of dropping the ships....:ph34r.:

Jump packs are bulky and not what I imagine a Space Marine to wear in a recon situation, hence my suggestion for only Atratus and Greysight to be our eyes and ears.

Regarding the boarding action, I'm still thinking it through.

Can a Jump Pack ne used in this sort of low orbit base jumping? IMO, JPs were more designed to add All Terrain capability than Halo jumping.

I can totfally see that used in some high cinematic escape from from a falling ship but to safely land an insertion force? Forces like the Elysians use Grav-chutes after all for something like this...

I also second that an Astartes with a Jump Pack is probably not very stealthy...

And while I had Sabaan pitch the idea of orbital crate dropping, I think it's not at the top of our options right now. The preparation to have even one of those derelicts set up and positioned to strike is probably beyond the timeframe of this mission ;)

BTW Sabaan would not wear a bucket. But might consider the value of adding external cranial protection gear, Vintage Pattern.

Thought for the Day :

We can rebuilt them. We have the technology.

But I don't want to spent too much money here.