[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

I am up for some strategy injections! And let me know when where to put the pot ( well, placeholder) for the scene with the burning bugs going through the shield so it fits more organically in the narrative.

Happy to report that I am now officially holding the O.K. to get my workload reduced by November.

So there is more time available away from work, some of which will is set to go into this little thing here!

Also, autumn holiday coming up. Looking forward to spent some time with my wife. But since she has been gone three months, we will be spending mostly at home. So there should be time to hang out by the B&C.

Enjoy yourself, Slips!

I have sent an email today to all players using the most up-to-date contact information I have. If you don't get the email, let me know.

I don't seem to have an email address for A.T. or Xin, so if you'd like to be included just send those along to me or email me at killteamblackthorn[at]gmail[dot]com.

Hope all are well!

Ill be in Japan until saturday so I might not be able to post as much as Id like but once Im back ill do what I can to keep momentum.

I am making an assumption that you're Japanese in some way. I'm heading out December 19th. If you have any ramen recommendations I will add them to the list....

Email received; thanks Mol.

I'll be pondering what Yeng can do... likely visiting the various regimental headquarters. The Gatebreakers aren't sentimental, but because of [+REDACTED+] they often have to rely on non-Space Marines as auxiliaries. As a result, they tend to have a bit more understanding than a typical Astartes of the possibilities and limitations of a baseline human group.

Of course, that's within the cultural milieu of the Rim – perhaps he'll misjudge things here!

Anyone else fancy going inspectin' with the Apothecary?

From an administrative point, can I ask for:

- A placeholder post from Slips for Solastion's oversight of the war. (Slips, if you've read AD-B's Helsreach, Grimaldus's interactions with the grinding bureaucracy of the war may be useful fodder for you.)

- A placeholder post from Xin: this will revolve around the final organisation and ignition of the thermobaric shield, as the Tyranids begin to descend into Syndalla's atmosphere.

That will then allow other players to operate and then I can move things forward accordingly. Based on my response to Dos earlier in the email thread, what I plan on doing is opening up a couple of narrative threads for the next four (real-time) weeks, which I will offer out to players.

Obviously, as Mazer and Apologist (and Steel) have done, feel free to organise.

So much for my tongue in cheek Alphaville reference :p

Placeholder is up!

And I think there was mentioning of Tarantulas... and Minefields. And IEDs full of pesticides....

That's Going to be Sabaan's main area of expertise, I guess?

As Ghent is more used to orbital assaults, I'm not sure where he would be most effective. Perhaps in the Portica district, keeping an eye out for any remaining cultist filth and reinforcing the defence lines on the one and only path to the spaceport?

In any case, I think that the Loyal 32nd, with their aerial troop carriers and firepower, should be kept as our tactical reserve in the spaceport. Regardless of where Ghent is stationed, he'll want to keep an eye on Desiato's soldiers as he still doesn't trust the Rogue Trader. He'll most likely request that all three companies be seconded to wherever he's assigned to.

Don't know how many rolls are needed, so -

Lurk (conceal) = 14 vs 90 = pass, 7 extra DoS

Locate (awareness) = 75 vs 75 = pass, 0 extra DoS

Ambush (move silent) = 29 vs 100 = pass, 7 extra DoS

Strike (melee attack) = 67 vs 73 = pass, 0 extra DoS

Looks like he's striking fear into the locals, but not finding the sneaky xenos this time out.

Hi all,

The start of school has been busier than I anticipated, so a lot of my plans have been thrown out of the window. On top of that, my mum's been quite ill and that's taken up a lot of time. It has given me some time to think on how to refine the plot and plans that I've had for this game.

The rules and mechanics for the invasion of Syndalla were cribbed from the Rogue Trader adventure book, The Frozen Reaches, which gives a Rogue Trader crew the opportunity to commandeer the defense of a world against an Ork Invasion. I thought it fit with the dramatic scope of the game - playing godlike warriors holding back the tide of Tyranid teeth and claws - for the Deathwatch to do the same. I think there's been a bit of a tepid reaction to the rules-set, but it would actually also be something that I think would work in an environment that was more immediate, such as in a real-life game or in something such as Roll20, where players could coordinate and collaborate without it being a time-sink.

I think it's a lesson to me to make the defense a little more narrative - rather than mechanical. The skill challenges as laid out seem to be something useful that I can incorporate, but I don't think I will be doing the full assault that way anymore. I'm going to be re-working things a little behind the scenes in order for this to work, but once again I hope it is something that will give players a little more freedom, rather than feeling restricted.

Sorry for all of those waiting on me - I will be doing what I can to use some time at work to get this done.

Hope all are well!

Hi all! Lucky for me, I had a few wonderful days off with my wife. Unlucky for you, I didn't feel any connection to self mutilating cyborgs from the future, so no updates yet :p

But I dutifully pre ordered the IH supllemetal - so there can be no more excuses not to streamline and pot that bio at least. Not even for fluff junkie like me!

For the Omnissiah! For the Primarch! For the Emperor!