[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Reminds me of this time one of my players (An Ultramarine Techmarine) was hellbent on buying and using a Nova grenade.  He tosses the bloody thing, fluffs his roll with a jam, drops it at his feet and half the team, helmets off, get nuked and fail whatever saves they beg me to make and end up blinded.

The enemy, Tau Firewarriors subsequently hosed them with EMP grenades.  The other half of the squad fared little better, when in the same turn, one of them (an Iron Hand Apothecary) tried a frag grenade and dropped it at his feet as his armour was unpowered, rolled RF on himself and almost killed his buddy (Dark Angel Dev) as he was within four metres, then proceded to do it again the next turn.

They were saved by a Blood Angel Assaulter coming in and murdering everything before the DA Dev got smashed again and the FIrewarriors captured everyone.  Later in the game the Space Wolf fudged his roll with a Krak grenade and dropped a building on himself, burning Fate not to die.

So yes, I wholly support the exchange for a Cryo grenade. :biggrin.:

MR.

Wow, those Bioshios really a big beasts, aren't they?

This is not going to be pretty...

Again -and likewise -very nice posts, Brothers!

Apologist - I already liked the article on army / model creation by example of your Gatekeepers a while back and it's really a splendid read about them from a in universe source. I also like how you are taking / sticking to default items like the Codex Astartes but giving it a unigue twist to make them / it something that is colourful and unique. Very good reading indeed!

Covid has finally given me the time I need to start reading through your campaign (if nothing else). I'm only halfway through, but it's been very exciting so far. I'm a big fan, keep the stories coming! :biggrin.:

Awesome to hear! The first post of the In-Character thread has a summary of the game if you wish!

Ill figure our my requisition tomorrow (today?) but at the very least, a portion of it will be going to keeping my Diagnostor Helmet which has probably been the best Req investment Ive made to date in terms of usefulness over a period of time.

"And may Sanguinius look down upon me favorably and bless me with his guidance so that I may honor him to the fullest extent of my being..." he prayed to himself aloud underneath his helmet, silent to all but himself, the Red Angel and the Emperor.

I knew it - secret loyalist World Eater, right here! :biggrin.:

Good speech.

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

"And may Sanguinius look down upon me favorably and bless me with his guidance so that I may honor him to the fullest extent of my being..." he prayed to himself aloud underneath his helmet, silent to all but himself, the Red Angel and the Emperor.

I knew it - secret loyalist World Eater, right here! :D

Good speech.

MR.

Problem is red angel has been used for both pepehands.jpg

Regarding Bolter Drill, that was a Codex Chapter advance (+1,000xp). 

As to XP spend, I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm not really seeing that Yeng has done anything in-game to draw him in a particular direction, and I have all the available apothecary upgrades at rank 1 that I think are fitting. If we're now rank 2, I'll spend 400XP on getting Medicae +10. Can he spend the remain 4,600XP on stats increases? If so, I'd favour this order, until I run out:

BS, S, Int, Fel, WS, T, WP

+++

Edited my in-character post to reflect that we weren't in the boarding torpedo yet.

Edited by apologist

Photoshop mate. Believe it or not this is based on a bunch of photographs I hacked up of the Bandai and McFarlane action figures. I think I used about a dozen in all and cobbled it all together. Then I over painted the entire thing to re light the entire marine before colour work and painting on the rest. I can’t wait to get hold of the new action figures announced yesterday so I can post and light them for bits of art in the future.

Nineswords messaged me with some confusion about my last post, so to clarify:

- As the Deathwatch are approaching the bio-ship, a giant and ancient Battleship has exited warpspace (in the middle of a system, which is an insane and foolhardy thing to do) - as it exits the warp, it crushes one of the Imperial frigates, the Saint Orestes, tearing it in half and destroying it.

- This vessel is the Dark Lantern - and back in Episode I, Tyber discovered a painting of the vessel in the Governor's Mansion. At the start of Episode II, after Ryken had disappeared, Akkad discovered that the painting had been stolen from the Manse.

- The Battleship has opened fire on the bio-ship, and this and its sudden entry from the warp have thrown the boarding torpedo off its target. (You have still hit the bio-ship, but not where you planned to do so.)

Hope that clears anything up - let me know if you are still unsure.

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Regarding Bolter Drill, that was a Codex Chapter advance (+1,000xp).

As to XP spend, I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm not really seeing that Yeng has done anything in-game to draw him in a particular direction, and I have all the available apothecary upgrades at rank 1 that I think are fitting. If we're now rank 2, I'll spend 400XP on getting Medicae +10. Can he spend the remain 4,600XP on stats increases? If so, I'd favour this order, until I run out:

BS, S, Int, Fel, WS, T, WP

+++

Edited my in-character post to reflect that we weren't in the boarding torpedo yet.

Thanks, I was using the wrong advance table for Yeng, and I didn't realise that he was using the Codex Advances from Honour the Chapter. I have corrected accordingly, which means that Yeng has spent 5400 of his 7500 (with Forging the Bond included.) This means that he has 2100 to spend, and does count as a Rank 2 character.

400XP for Medicae +10 is a good shout, as the team will definitely need medical attention throughout their time on the Bio Ship. (This would give you 1700 left.)

In terms of potential upgrades:

Hunter of Aliens is a talent that costs 1000XP - it gives you +10 to WS and +2 Damage to Melee against Xenos (so it is effectively 2 Weapon Skill increases)

Hatred (Tyranids) costs 500XP and gives you +10 to WS against Tyranids (again, effectively 2 Weapon Skill increases)

Increasing WS would be 200 for the first +5, 500 for the second +5. (Compare against the two talents above, but their potential benefits.)

Ballistic Skill, Strength and Toughness would all be +500 for the first +5, and +1000 for the second +5.

Int (important for Medicae) has already been improved once, and would be +500 for your second +5.

Fel has been improved once, and would be +1000 for your second +5.

In terms of Yeng's current stats, increasing Toughness would not benefit him, but increasing Strength would tip him over into the next bracket for Unnatural Strength (this is important as your Strength bonus increases your Chainsword Damage) - as he stands now, Yeng probably has the lowest strength of all the characters.

I would perhaps suggest:

Strength +5 (500)

WS +5 (200)

Hatred (Tyranids) (500)

Ballistic Skill +5 (500) (OR Intelligence +5 (500))

This would get you +15 WS against Tyranids (from 40 to 55), will improve your Strength so that your Strength Bonus is 8 and will improve your BS to 45 (which will regularly be higher due to range bonuses and Bolter Drill helping you get hits on Semi-Auto Burst.) Alternately, increase your Intelligence rather than BS to help you heal better.

EDIT: If you feel that Hatred doesn't fit Yeng's personality it is easy to consider it as some sort of anatomical knowledge benefiting him in combat.

Edited by Commissar Molotov