[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

So I don't... technically know if I'm supposed to talk about it, but my submission to black library from the open window last year was accepted on for the second phase! 

Amazing Noctus!

Good work, you should be very pleased with that I would think? :D

MR.

Awesome stuff... so we have some time before you get super famous for you to get some posts in! (Hint hint)

Yes, sir. :sweat:

Thanks for the love, guys. I got a post in, mostly directed towards Yeng for this one.

Edited by Noctus Cornix

Hello chaps work is particularly punishing at the moment so sorry for lack of updates. I'll do a roundup post when I can come up for air.

So I don't... technically know if I'm supposed to talk about it, but my submission to black library from the open window last year was accepted on for the second phase! 

Congratulations Noctus! That's wonderful news, and I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by Nineswords

Yes, fantastic to hear, Noctus – well-deserved!

I have filled in the placeholder in which Yeng and Solastion attempt to heal the Eradicator. Unfortunately, I rolled exactly the result I needed (84), and am not sure if that's a success or a failure.

On the basis that it can go either way, I've drafted the text to be suitably knife-edge for Vârvost.

I have also added a new post to answer Guillermo's question.

Good shooting .... and stabbing everybody! Awesome posts also!

Still quite busy, but I am trying to get at least a mood piece in to mark the occasion of returning to the Voice of Thunder over the next days.

And wow, that's great news Noctus! Nothing but heartfelt envy to you ;)

Edit: is weaponizing the Voice still a thing? I am chewing on a passage where Sabaan sort of listens in for remains of the Vessel's machine spirit(s) and might put a hint in if there's still some "Thunder " down there....

Edited by Xin Ceithan

Hi all,

I have edited my last placeholder. Apologies for the slowdown in posting on my end - we are currently in the process of moving house, which is taking up a huge amount of my time. On top of that, my wife has another surgery in about a month, which is likely to take up quite a bit of my time in terms of aftercare. I will try to keep up as much as possible, so thank you for your patience!

Sorry chaps, I am having a particularly crushing work period which is also eating up my weekends at an alarming rate. I suggest we scuttle if we can; if anything, the charging warp drives will distract the Nids once we kickstart it.

We can also split up to re-arm too.

I also suggest that if we have teleport capabilities, we can press on to the synapse chamber as per the original plan. If things go awry, we still have the Voice as backup.

For the Emperor!

I had to go back and check, it was in post 555 - the Voice of Thunder's spine is twisted and I describe the vessel.as being "almost torn in two", so I suppose we can assume it is still one piece. I know I described the frigate crushed by the Dark Lantern as being torn in two - so I will have to avoid slipping into cliche!

Just goes to show how freaking bid this beast is, I guess. It's one thing to see the scale comparison pic. I guess the idea is basically there already, but getting your head around that it didn't just gobble up a few parts - it swallowed a whole other Ship... oh boy!

It's a big boy. 

In either case, be it to scuttle or bombard the innards of this beast, it would be beneficial to have human crew assist us.

Mol, how big is the Voice of Thunder

I definitely don't think we should spend time searching for them. However, with mind scan, I can reach out and gain a general impression of the humans (and tyranids) within 800 meters. If I push the psychic power, I can extend that to 1.6 kilometers. If I push the psychic power, it will also allow me to send out a vague telepathic communication to the minds I contact. At least, that is my understanding of the power. Could tell them to meet us at the bridge or something or all connect to a comm-link. 

@Xin - Isn't the Emperor also the Omnissiah?

Edited by Noctus Cornix

Hi Noctus, 

Per the Rogue Trader rulebook, a Dauntless-Class Light Cruiser is approximately 4.5km long, and 0.5km abeam at the fins. It also suggests that it has a crew of 65,000(!) 

It's easy to assume that the Kill-Team is between 1 and 2 kilometres into the vessel, so roughly amidships. If Montesa can project a spherical bubble with a radius of 800m (so a diameter of 1600m) then he could easily cover a large chunk of the Voice of Thunder

@Noctus

I’d say from an in universe point, that is open to debate.

During the HH, we have seen the “True Mechanicus” declare Horus to be the true vessel of the Omnissiah.

So...

It is sort of the common ( let,s say orthodox ) ground for relations between the Imperium and the Mechanicus.

There are already in game different forms of belief about the Omnissiah (E.g the Electropriest Sub cults) so it’s easy to imagine variants regarding a figure outside the Cult like the Emperor.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that one variant for accepting the Emperor as an Outsider in their beliefs , which has the Omnissiah as a divine force is regarding him as a sort of manifestation or avatar if you will. Here the Emperor is part of the Divine but not the entire thing.

Having been In catholic institutions, I can easily wrap my head on sort of divine trinity if the Omnissiah, the Emperor and the Motive Force.

I can also see that a topic for endless debate among the Mechanicus :)

I am shamelessly using that “... in that order “ phrase because I loved it in Anandale’s Eye of Medusa and Voice of Mars Books and based a lit of Sabaan around that take on the Chapter and Medusa’s Culture.

It is also quite heavily hinted that the Mechanicus quite deliberately pushed that doctrine into the post Istvaan Xth to have a sort of Legion that is more in line with Mars than the Imperium.

I also feel that it captures that need to make some sense out the fall and the weakness of their primarch and their Legion and their Emperor into their own sense of belief and how elements of the Mechanicus made them literally cut that pains out and replace it with something they believe will make stronger and not have to be so lost and weak anymore. Guess it appeals to the side of me that still clings to the tragic heroes of the 90s. It’s comics metal age after all.

I also like that it offers some unique cultural nuance and catchphrase to latch onto. So it’s mostly just me trying to be Fluffy and add some flavour.

@Mol, yeah that'd cover a lot of ground. I do need to make a small addendum to my previous statement. Pushing the psychic power will add +3 to my psy-rating, not flat double it. So, if I push the psychic power, that will be 1,400 meters.  So, if I push the power it would be just a little over half the vessel. 

That being said, a thought came to my mind last night, on that completely slipped my mind until now. I tried searching through the Deathwatch book, but I was unable to find anything on the 'Shadow in the Warp' that the Tyranids emit from their presence. Maybe it's in another one of the books. I haven't had the chance to check yet.  Given the nature of the Shadow in the Warp, should I be taking negative modifiers to my psychic powers, telepathy-based ones especially? I honestly completely forgot about that aspect of the xenos species and never considered it as part of my writing for Montesa. How would this be affecting him?

@Xin, Ahhhhh yeah, that makes sense to me. :)