[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Apostle - your rolls are up to you - some players like to use a website like Orikos, others just use online dice rollers or roll dice in real life. I don't believe people will cheat - and ultimately, if needs be I can cheat bigger and better than all of you!

TBTL: Sorry, but I'm a little unsure what you mean (and not at a computer, which makes typing this a lot harder.) Can you explain and I'll do my best to help?

Im just finding it hard to see how my skills and traits work with situations like the Dice Rolling you wanted us to do.

for example, I have charm +10, command +10 , Tactics +10 and wondered how they affected my character when i come across situations where i need to roll dice for tests like you have given us.

I was going to test Ekieo's command and tactical ability you see.

I tried reading up on tests and the skills/Traits descriptions and it wasn't very helpful or didn't explain anything. Apologise if this is basic stuff. I do though now understand the dynamics of the actual dice rolling and how it applies to the degree of success or failure.

Apostle - your rolls are up to you - some players like to use a website like Orikos, others just use online dice rollers or roll dice in real life. I don't believe people will cheat - and ultimately, if needs be I can cheat bigger and better than all of you!

TBTL: Sorry, but I'm a little unsure what you mean (and not at a computer, which makes typing this a lot harder.) Can you explain and I'll do my best to help?

Im just finding it hard to see how my skills and traits work with situations like the Dice Rolling you wanted us to do.

for example, I have charm +10, command +10 , Tactics +10 and wondered how they affected my character when i come across situations where i need to roll dice for tests like you have given us.

I was going to test Ekieo's command and tactical ability you see.

I tried reading up on tests and the skills/Traits descriptions and it wasn't very helpful or didn't explain anything. Apologise if this is basic stuff. I do though now understand the dynamics of the actual dice rolling and how it applies to the degree of success or failure.

I mean, Charm is more of a social skill than a commanding skill. Command is for just that: Commanding people in the field. Tactics represents knowledge in the more theoretical side of things, and helps you come up with a plan before commanding your subordinates to execute it. At least that's my interpretation of it.

TBTL I think you're best off just picking whichever you think applies best (based on the skills section in the rules) and going with it. If it doesn't fit I'm sure Mol or one of the others will let you know. It sounds like Command followed by Tactics (whichever kind of tactic you're attempting) is the way to go for your case.

TBTL:

The posts that players have put in the thread have been perfect examples of what I envisioned. You can either use a straight characteristic test as I suggested in the game thread:

Ideas to help:

Weapon Skill: Representing your Marine participating in combat drills - whether against drones, combat servitors or other members of the Kill-Team.

Ballistic Skill: Representing your Marine taking part in target practice -perhaps trying to take a specific, called shot, or mowing down streams of enemies in a hail of fire.

Strength: This could represent a feat of strength, such as ripping apart a combat drone, or brawling/wrestling with other members of the Kill-Team.

Toughness: This could be some attempt to resist pain, or a resistance to extremes of heat or cold.

Agility: Agility could well be used for Dodge tests, showing your ability to resist damage, or it could be used for running or jumping - showing your enhanced biology being pushed to its limits.

Intelligence: This could be used for tactics tests, showing your Marine's expertise; Apothecaries are likely to use this to tend to any minor wounds sustained by the Kill-Team's members. Techmarines might be tending to weaponry or armour to ensure it is running at peak performance.

Perception: This could represent you spotting a target, or avoiding an ambush.

Willpower: This could represent an endurance of pain, or being able to resist

Fellowship: This could represent your attempts to bring the disparate parts of your Kill-Team together, or your ability to lead and command.

In terms of your skills, if you look at Chapter III of the Rulebook (pp.92-106) you'll see that each Skill has an associated characteristic.

Charm and Command are both Fellowship skills, so using your statistic of 53 (+10 from your skill bonus) for a total characteristic of 63. This could represent Solza's attempts to ingratiate himself within the new Kill-Team, or his efforts to lead the Kill-Team in a drill.

Tactics is an Intelligence skill, so using your statistic of 46 (+10 from your skill bonus) for a total characteristic of 56. This could represent you applying your knowledge of your chosen tactic (your character sheet says you chose Orbital Drop tactics - so something around assaulting from a drop pod or the like?) in a combat drill, or perhaps your efforts to teach something to your fellow team-mates.

You could also choose to attempt something more martial - so you could try a Ballistic Skill test (with a +10 aim) to show Solza engaging in combat drills.

TBTL:

The posts that players have put in the thread have been perfect examples of what I envisioned. You can either use a straight characteristic test as I suggested in the game thread:

Ideas to help:

Weapon Skill: Representing your Marine participating in combat drills - whether against drones, combat servitors or other members of the Kill-Team.

Ballistic Skill: Representing your Marine taking part in target practice -perhaps trying to take a specific, called shot, or mowing down streams of enemies in a hail of fire.

Strength: This could represent a feat of strength, such as ripping apart a combat drone, or brawling/wrestling with other members of the Kill-Team.

Toughness: This could be some attempt to resist pain, or a resistance to extremes of heat or cold.

Agility: Agility could well be used for Dodge tests, showing your ability to resist damage, or it could be used for running or jumping - showing your enhanced biology being pushed to its limits.

Intelligence: This could be used for tactics tests, showing your Marine's expertise; Apothecaries are likely to use this to tend to any minor wounds sustained by the Kill-Team's members. Techmarines might be tending to weaponry or armour to ensure it is running at peak performance.

Perception: This could represent you spotting a target, or avoiding an ambush.

Willpower: This could represent an endurance of pain, or being able to resist

Fellowship: This could represent your attempts to bring the disparate parts of your Kill-Team together, or your ability to lead and command.

In terms of your skills, if you look at Chapter III of the Rulebook (pp.92-106) you'll see that each Skill has an associated characteristic.

Charm and Command are both Fellowship skills, so using your statistic of 53 (+10 from your skill bonus) for a total characteristic of 63. This could represent Solza's attempts to ingratiate himself within the new Kill-Team, or his efforts to lead the Kill-Team in a drill.

Tactics is an Intelligence skill, so using your statistic of 46 (+10 from your skill bonus) for a total characteristic of 56. This could represent you applying your knowledge of your chosen tactic (your character sheet says you chose Orbital Drop tactics - so something around assaulting from a drop pod or the like?) in a combat drill, or perhaps your efforts to teach something to your fellow team-mates.

You could also choose to attempt something more martial - so you could try a Ballistic Skill test (with a +10 aim) to show Solza engaging in combat drills.

Thank you for the help with this, very much appreciated. These were the sort of scenarios i was thinking of putting him through, showing the team what he is made of and where he can fit in amongst them.

Ill get something up by end of the day for this. 

If anyone wants to engage with me on drop pod tactics then feel free to reach out. Be cool to show what the Black Consuls are good at!

Edited by That Beyond the Light

Maybe but I would respect the sheer maniacal brass balls of CM to lure us newbies into this fine campaign then pop us like a balloon only a few days into it. Pure malice. Wonderful.

Bonus points for changing your handle to “Commissar Trollokhov” afterwards :p

-sorry, it has been that sort of  a week end... I’ll soldier on through tomorrow to having a few days off, starting with my wife’s birthday :) 

Then it’s back to the Grim Darkness with you guys! - 

I am totally undecided about the lead of Blackthorn btw, There are some great RP elements in having the Star Phantom in that position.

Also, Watch Sergeants in Blackthorn have a history of meeting an early end, so.... ;)

Sorry guys, I got a bit behind. I’ve replaced my placeholder.

Mol, I tried to do the test rolls as you suggested. I was not sure which of my skills applied, so I am not sure my target numbers are accurate. Let me know if I screwed anything up.

I hope you guys are enjoying Pyke’s story as much as I am enjoying reading about all of your great characters!

A very good question whose answer I think all of Azurea will come to learn eventually. I just hope the Clepsydra doesn't actually blow us up before we find out.

Then don't annoy your resident Star Phantom ;) 

nah, that would be slightly inconvenient xD, so hopefully that won't happen