[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Do we roll on a bot somewhere or something that I am not aware of or is just self declared rolls sufficient?

There is no dice bot on BnC - you can just declare the rolls or use an online site such as orokos.

Most people seem to put their rolls in another colour and in spoilers in the IC thread.

If you use B+C tools, its:

[ spoiler][ color=00ff00]Your text[/color]

But take out the spaces I left in the first 2 boxes, and you get:

Your text

Adesro: It's usually useful for me if you put your rolls into your post. There's no requirement to use a dice-roller, or to use Orokos (although some of my players like to do so.) It helps keep the illusion that we're playing an RPG and not just writing fan-fiction!

Blackthorn players, I am in the midst of updating your combats. I've completed the Chapel fight as of this post, and am going onto the Colonnade. Please stand by for updates over the course of this evening and tonight.

Steel: If you get the chance, please check out the GMKit document - Tyber's stats are missing from the Blackthorn quick reference, which is slowing down my updating!

Necronaut: I saw you post in Mazer's game regarding order of operations vis-a-vis power fields - hopefully your Rosarius is working as intended with my rolls?

I've updated most of what I can for Tertius, the Demi-Squad fighting in the gardens.

TBTL, I couldn't make your Charge action work (you seemed to be charging and shooting Horde 2, when you're closer to Horde 1?) so I've tried to make it make sense as much as I can. Please let me know what's going on (considering Horde 2 are the first Kroot to act.)

A.T., I had a few questions regarding your Magnitude Damage, if you can have a look.

Are the four attacks Lightning Attack with two power swords? I wasn't sure.

The Secundus squad in the Colonnade - Incariel hasn't got any declared actions so I will resolve Artemios and then message Ashlander.

Mojake: Yay! :tu:

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Thank you CM for tidying up my actions and rolls. Now I have seen it a couple of times I'm getting to know what I'm doing wrong.

When attacking hordes I presume the horde magnitude is calculated by the amount of enemies in that horde.

Also how is the PEN calculated? And what is TB?

CM:

Normal: 1 attack

Normal with two weapons: 2 attacks

Swift attack normal: 2 attacks

Swift Attack with two weapons: 3 (2 primary one offhand)

Lightning attack normal: 3 attacks

Lightning attack with two weapons: 4 (3 Primary one offhand)

At least that's my reading for two weapon-wielding.

Now if you've got two power swords, it doesn't matter really about pointing out which hand is which.  But since Tyber has been using two different weapons (first Chainsword and Armin sword, now Harvest and ARming sword) I've always been showing which hand is doing what.

As I seem to remember that you have a PDF copy of the rulebook:

Shooting Hordes is covered on p.359 of the Rulebook. Typically, I tend to just allow a +10 for each 10 of Magnitude (it's less book-keeping for me.)

PEN is Penetration, a characteristic for every weapon. For your bolt weapons, it's typically Pen 4. This means that enemy armour is reduced by 4. Obviously, that works the same when enemies attack you.

TB is your Toughness Bonus. Normally this is the tens characteristic of your Toughness characteristic. TB subtracts from the damage inflicted upon enemies. For example, a normal Guardsman with Toughness 30 will subtract 3 from the damage of any shot. Space Marines have Unnatural Toughness (2) which means the characteristic is doubled. So a Marine with Toughness 40 has a TB of 8.

This means that you get a sizeable difference between a Guardsman (TB3 and Armour 4) and a Space Marine (TB8 and Armour 10).

Apostle: I had some questions regarding the damage characteristics of your bolt weapons - if you can have a look. It doesn't matter for the Guardsmen but may be relevant later on.

I'm just about to resolve Incariel's actions CM if you can hold on for a few moments more. Been distracted this week by other concerns and haven't gotten a moment to be a space marine in a while. I'll drop a placeholder with the declared actions anyways, the universe is conspiring against my power fantasies lately. :teehee:

Further to Mojake's post, there is a TV show in the UK called Line of Duty - in it, there's a Blackthorn Prison:

VnhmIln.png

Ashlander: All good, I will try to update further with your actions and then get to the end of the round - if not I'll finish it tomorrow.

A.T., I had a few questions regarding your Magnitude Damage, if you can have a look.

Are the four attacks Lightning Attack with two power swords? I wasn't sure.

With the horde size - updated results:

Two power swords - Atratus has neither a chainsword nor a bolt pistol any more.

A roll of 71 vs a target of 103 (+10 charge, +10 hunter of aliens, +20 size). Two hits plus one from a power weapon.

+4 from the charge = 7 magnitude

In his own action it is a lightning attack with two weapons, all rolling against his WS of 63 plus any horde size bonus (the -10 for two weapon fighting offset by the +10 from hunter of aliens)

-81 is a hit for 2 magnitude (if the horde still +20 to hit at this point, otherwise a miss)

-9 is a hit for 5 magnitude

-10 is another hit for 5 magnitude

-and 90 is a miss.

So 17-19 in total with the smaller horde bonus taken into account. Looks like there will be survivors that Atratus will try to finish off with a parry/counter attack using his bulwark talent.

As I seem to remember that you have a PDF copy of the rulebook:

Shooting Hordes is covered on p.359 of the Rulebook. Typically, I tend to just allow a +10 for each 10 of Magnitude (it's less book-keeping for me.)

PEN is Penetration, a characteristic for every weapon. For your bolt weapons, it's typically Pen 4. This means that enemy armour is reduced by 4. Obviously, that works the same when enemies attack you.

TB is your Toughness Bonus. Normally this is the tens characteristic of your Toughness characteristic. TB subtracts from the damage inflicted upon enemies. For example, a normal Guardsman with Toughness 30 will subtract 3 from the damage of any shot. Space Marines have Unnatural Toughness (2) which means the characteristic is doubled. So a Marine with Toughness 40 has a TB of 8.

This means that you get a sizeable difference between a Guardsman (TB3 and Armour 4) and a Space Marine (TB8 and Armour 10).

Apostle: I had some questions regarding the damage characteristics of your bolt weapons - if you can have a look. It doesn't matter for the Guardsmen but may be relevant later on.

Thank you for the clarification. I do try to look up the corresponding rules to what's happening, but sometimes they talk in jargon I'm not familiar with or it's bouncing between 5 or 6 other pages and getting overwhelmed. I'll endeavour though to try and refer to it more often.

I'd forgotten that you had the Bulwark talent - that might mean that Atratus doesn't take damage. I will update tomorrow to correct everything. Do you want to roll for the parry/counter-attack pre-emptively?

Parry Target: WS63 + Hunter of Aliens 10 + Blade bonus + 30 = Target 103 - 1/2 magnitude

Roll = 8 = success

Counter Attack Target: WS 63 + Hunter of Aliens 10 - Counter Penalty 20 = Target 53 +horde bonus (of +10?)

Roll = 27 = 3 magnitude damage

Helps to make up for the Raptors decidedly poor form on the original attack. Bulwark isn't cheap but it definitely gets the job done.

If the group is wiped outAtratus will assassin strike back (roll = 70 - just a pass) towards Pyke to screen him from attack. Atratus has one parry remaining this round.

Hey Komrk, just a thought, but would Maladon be better off sticking with the crew carrying on to the Bridge, in case he needs to hack into the ship's log or something?

I was going to suggest Yeng might be able to collect and analyse some of the blood to give us an idea if its human or not? So maybe he'd be a good replacement for Maladon?

AT did you take into account the extra mag damage from the power field? (page 359 core rules, under melee vs hordes)

Yes. Just a couple of high rolls and Atratus has spent far too much of his xp on fancy manoeuvers and not enough on basic weapon skill advances :tongue.:

Well, those fancy manoeuvers are great, Tyber has to start taking them now too, and boost his WS more...:sweat:

So many things to pick up, so little XP to get them all. :biggrin.:

Edited by Steel Company

Well, those fancy manoeuvers are great, Tyber has to start taking them now too, and boost his WS more...:sweat:

So many this to pick up, so little XP to get them all. :biggrin.:

Atratus can actually share his bulwark ability with his squad - it's a full round action and a point of cohesion to grant everyone in support range the ability to parry hordes (with 1/2 magnitude as a penalty) for the remainder of the combat.