[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Is there someone who'd like to swap their "Tactical Marine" slot with my "Assault Marine" one? Failing that, Mol, is there perhaps a spare "Tactical Marine" slot that I could fill instead of the "Assault Marine" one?

I can swap to Assault Marine, with out too much planning rework. It gets me early two weapon fighting talents, I was already planning on that route anyways.

Hi all, 

I haven't been able to spend a lot of the weekend online as I've been unwell. 

A.T. - it would seem correct that you can choose any armour history for your third choice, and it can be from any of the four tables. I've edited the formatting for the armour on your sheet.

Cryptix - Based on Rites of Battle, Mk III armour isn't an automatic choice for Space Marines. It'd be best if you could roll to see what mark of armour  you get so you can determine how many histories you are allowed. 

Molotov,

I don't know if appropriate, but perhaps a brief one page summary of each character can be a Google Doc (set up exactly like the spreadsheets). I think it would help with the narrative of how each character interacts with each other, as I'm having trouble keeping track of whatever each member of the kill team has from a non rules perspective. It would be an edited version of the kind of thing Steel Company and Mazer have already thrown up.

I was thinking:

• Name and speciality
  • Rank before being sent to Deathwatch;
  • Combat awards or significant symbols (i.e, Iron Halo);
  • Chapter summary (add links if canon, or fan made Index Astartes);
  • Character and demeanour traits (KEYWORDS);
  • Physical appearance;
  • Armour Mark, significant weaponry and other trappings or trinkets;
  • Brief combat record

Happy to do a draft version and figure out the word count, as it's easy to start going long essays.

Edited by Nineswords

A.T. - it would seem correct that you can choose any armour history for your third choice, and it can be from any of the four tables. I've edited the formatting for the armour on your sheet.

The one I rolled is a slightly weaker 'fury like lightning' result... but frankly I think it suits the cobbled together theme of the armour so i'll stick with the random results.

Okay, rolling some dice here...

http://orokos.com/roll/587409 Wounds: 22

http://orokos.com/roll/587410 Fate: 3

http://orokos.com/roll/587411 Armour Mark: 5 (Heresy)

http://orokos.com/roll/587413 History Table: Choose 

http://orokos.com/roll/587415 History: Lead From The Front

http://orokos.com/roll/587416 History Table 2: Choose

http://orokos.com/roll/587418 History: Modify by one, to get Blood of a Battle Brother

Sheet edited.

Unfortunately, I got Heresy era armour, my least favourite aesthetically.

Still, both Histories came out as I'd like, with +2 Cohesion to the squad. If picked to lead the Kill-Team, they'd have... 8 Cohesion total, assuming nobody else is providing bonuses.

Unfortunately, at present, he doesn't get access to a Chapter trapping. Could I refluff the Black Templar tabard (Deathwatch Heraldry), to represent having an above average amount of Deathwatch imagery on his armour?

Edited by bluntpencil

Question:

First Founding Chapters get more Chapter Solo and Squad Modes than other Chapters, as well as additional Oaths.

Would it be possible for their successors to access some of these? In particular, I think 'Indomitable Defence' and 'Exemplar of Stoicism' suit Crimson Fists (See: Captain Cortez).

I have both books - they have one Trapping (in Honour the Chapter), which you can only get if you buy Hatred (Orks).

They have one Attack Pattern, one Defence Pattern, one Solo Mode...

Whereas, for example, all the Core Book Chapters (plus Imperial Fists) have... 2 Attack Patterns, 2 Defence Patterns, 2 Solo Modes, and one Chapter-specific Oath. Except Ultramarines. They have 3 Attack Patterns and 3 Defence Patterns.

@ Steel Company - Crimson Fists are in both books. In Rites of Battle they're just Imperial Fists, but better, but in Honour the Chapter, they're substantially different.

Edited by bluntpencil

I have both books - they have one Trapping (in Honour the Chapter), which you can only get if you buy Hatred (Orks).

Whereas, for example, all the Core Book Chapters (plus Imperial Fists) have... 2 Attack Patterns, 2 Defence Patterns, 2 Solo Modes, and one Chapter-specific Oath. Except Ultramarines. They have 3 Attack Patterns and 3 Defence Patterns.

@ Steel Company - Crimson Fists are in both books. In Rites of Battle they're just Imperial Fists, but better, but in Honour the Chapter, they're substantially different.

You are totally right, I'm hardly ever in that first section of Honour the Chapter, so I totally missed the Crimson Fists being there. The few times I've had my nose in that section it's been when playing (or needing rules for) a Black Templar or Storm Warden...

You are totally right, I'm hardly ever in that first section of Honour the Chapter, so I totally missed the Crimson Fists being there. The few times I've had my nose in that section it's been when playing (or needing rules for) a Black Templar or Storm Warden...

I've designed my character to be a great team player - provides bonus cohesion from his armour, is good at Command (if needed), and, if Squad Leader, can use his awesome Attack Pattern on the whole Kill-Team.

Note: Many people miss the rule which allows the Squad Leader to affect his whole kill-team with his Chapter Squad Modes.

Blunt - if you read the Deathwatch Errata (page 4, bottom right) that's been altered: LINK

The sentence “Depending on the squad leader’s Speciality and Chapter, he will have access to a different selection of abilities which his Kill-team may then use during the course of the Mission” should change to “Depending on the squad leader’s Speciality, he will have access to a different selection of Codex abilities which his Kill-team may then use during the course of the mission.”

I've designed my character to be a great team player - provides bonus cohesion from his armour, is good at Command (if needed), and, if Squad Leader, can use his awesome Attack Pattern on the whole Kill-Team.

Note: Many people miss the rule which allows the Squad Leader to affect his whole kill-team with his Chapter Squad Modes.

Provided they pass a hard (-20) command test at rank one... but any tactical worth is salt should have a +10 at least to command at rank one... many, many ways to get it.

Yea with someone else taking up the share the skills role to the tactical, I'm happy to swap to Assault Marine if our Raptor wants to go tactical.

Blunt - if you read the Deathwatch Errata (page 4, bottom right) that's been altered: LINK

The sentence “Depending on the squad leader’s Speciality and Chapter, he will have access to a different selection of abilities which his Kill-team may then use during the course of the Mission” should change to “Depending on the squad leader’s Speciality, he will have access to a different selection of Codex abilities which his Kill-team may then use during the course of the mission.”

Good to know.

In that case, if anyone buys Hunter of Aliens later, I'd strongly also recommend Forging the Bond, too (every Kill-Team should get this later on, in fact). Another option would be for the melee types to learn Dedicated Kill-Team for 500XP.

These uses of XP are really good team-work wise, and Kill-Teams get far more powerful when operating as a team.

Edited by bluntpencil

For reference, this game won't be in the Jericho Reach or on Erioch.

Blunt - you've edited your post, but I'd personally prefer not to include the Storm Wardens (or rather, I'm happy to have their rules but with a name/background change.) With regards to the attack patterns and the like, we have an Iron Hand, Salamander and counts-as White Scar, all of whom aren't core chapters. Plus our Astral Claw only has access to the Codex patterns. 

Blunt - you've edited your post, but I'd personally prefer not to include the Storm Wardens (or rather, I'm happy to have their rules but with a name/background change.) With regards to the attack patterns and the like, we have an Iron Hand, Salamander and counts-as White Scar, all of whom aren't core chapters. Plus our Astral Claw only has access to the Codex patterns. 

I decided against it, yeah.

Anyway, for us to best work as a team, options include 'Forging the Bond', later (it gets better at higher ranks), but also buying each others' Squad Mode powers.

Yeah, the Astral Claw is unfortunate - the rules for Codex chapters are very weak compared to many other Chapters.

I decided against it, yeah.

Anyway, for us to best work as a team, options include 'Forging the Bond', later (it gets better at higher ranks), but also buying each others' Squad Mode powers.

Yeah, the Astral Claw is unfortunate - the rules for Codex chapters are very weak compared to many other Chapters.

I'll be fine. :happy.:

I have a Heavy Bolter.

On the subject Mol, I'd like to run something by you - how are you going to handle Special Ammo and the Heavy Bolter?

MR.

I'll be fine. :happy.:

I have a Heavy Bolter.

On the subject Mol, I'd like to run something by you - how are you going to handle Special Ammo and the Heavy Bolter?

MR.

LOL!

I have seen bad things happen when HB's get to use some of the special ammo... but R.A.W. lets them, I mean they all say "Use: All bolt weapons".... hell the Hellfire rounds call out the Heavy Bolter saying the the RoF chances to S/-/-, but it gains Blast (3) and adds 1 to the Magnitude damage to hoards per hit.

Still a Heavy Bolter + Kraken rounds is priceless... Pen 8 and a range of 225m (after changes) with a RoF of -/-/6? Yes please! And cheap too! only 10 Requisition by the rules sating that in the backpack ammo supply (that is automatically issued with heavy weapons), add 5 to the requisition total.

Wow that makes those Kraken rounds only .04 requisition each... that's a better cost to ammo expenditure than any other bolt weapon using them.

But the best hoard killer is a Heavy Bolter + Dragonfire rounds.... What's that? the Hoard is on fire now?!?

Still I can see our Raptor heading towards getting a Stalker Pattern Bolter and using Stalker rounds as often as he can.

Edited by Steel Company

This all sounds a bit OP and seems like the rest of the Kill Team will be a bit useless. :P

Is there someone who'd like to swap their "Tactical Marine" slot with my "Assault Marine" one? Failing that, Mol, is there perhaps a spare "Tactical Marine" slot that I could fill instead of the "Assault Marine" one?

I can swap to Assault Marine, with out too much planning rework. It gets me early two weapon fighting talents, I was already planning on that route anyways.
That would be much appreciated; cheers. :)

This all sounds a bit OP and seems like the rest of the Kill Team will be a bit useless. :tongue.:

That would be much appreciated; cheers. :smile.:

Changes made, just need Mol's approval.