Kal's Primaris Ultramarines progress

Kalamadea

Gees man you are on fire. How long do you think a squad takes you? I thought that I could be fairly quick but your pace and quality is really impressive.

I was re-reading your gloss process and I wondered if you had tried this with GW’s newer Nuln Oil black Gloss. I wipe it if& of flat surfaces with air brush cleaner but it takes very little effort.

Probably around 8 hours or so for a 5 man squad. I'm actually not as fast at painting as you'd assume, I'm just efficient with the painting time and use a few tricks to speed up the initial basecoating and shading process. Usually I'll do all the basecoating, color blocking and decals in an evening paint session while I listen to podcasts/audiobook etc. I can't watch TV/movies and paint unless I've already seen it, I miss too much of the show. Next day (or same day if I spend a day off painting) I'll do the edge highlights, washes and basing. It also helps that I've been very bored with World of Warcraft lately, so most of my traditional video game time has turned into painting time recently. 

I've done the gloss-on-gloss washes and it works well, but it's still much more time consuming than oil and enamel washes. Very clean results though, and it's good if you're doing decals since you need to glosscoat the area anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! I've been busy with other projects since finishing these guys. Lots of infinity and Star Wars and terrain that has been great fun and is turning out well, but isn't suitable for B&C. The Ultras are complete until whenever GW releases new Primaris kits, at which point I'm sure to see you back here :)

awesome work here, it's funny you and Prot conversing, i put both of you in the same camp of fast and efficient work and superb quality :thumbsup: 

i really do love your head swaps though,really great ideas and adds some uniqueness to your army :cool.: 

awesome indeed, cheers Mithril 

• 2 weeks later...

A coule of WIPs of my Chaplain. Not really that fond of the actual Primaris Chaplain model, converted one out of a Lieutenant, one of the spare Reiver heads (possibly the best Chaplain head ever created), a Space Wolf axe haft and a banner pole from some SM set or another as the crozius. Basing putty is still drying, probably finish it tomorrow. Not very happy with the picture, it's a bit overexposed and it's causing the edge highlights to be a bit more stark than it appears and it's washing out a bit of detail on the chest & leg eagle, might need to play around in photoshop when I take the final of him

20180131_235342.jpg

20180131_235355.jpg

Your chaplain is a LOT nicer than the actual Primaris chaplain model. Great work! Thanks for sharing!

Really nice work on your Chaplain. I like your take..... very dynamic. You're right about the Reiver heads.... they make for great Chaplain helms. I can easily see this guy leading a Reiver squad to glory. Excellent work:thumbsup:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead