CHAPTER NAME
Angels of Silence

SUMMARY
▪ GENE-SEED (PREDECESSOR): Dark Angels
▪ FOUNDING: 14th founding(Late M36)
▪ CHAPTER MASTER: None
▪ CHAPTER WORLD: Fleet-based
▪ FORTRESS MONASTERY: Battle-barge "Peccator Rex"
▪ MAIN COLOURS: Slate grey, with black trim, and white insets of the shoulders, and white faceplate
▪ SPECIALITY: Chapter lost before engagements
▪ BATTLE CRY: Unknown

▪ CURRENT STRENGTH: Lost to the Warp prior to full establishment as a Chapter
▪ KNOWN DESCENDANTS: None
▪ ALLEGIANCE: None Known.

ORIGIN OF THE CHAPTER:
The Angels of Silence are an example of the tragedies of Warp travel, showing the true hostility of the galaxy towards Mankind. Their creation ordered in late M36., a training coterie were sent by the parent Chapter of the Dark Angels, under the watchful gaze of the Inquisition. Upon reaching the Elif system in the Segmentum Solar, the Ordo Astartes oversaw the Peccator Rex welcoming the Dark Angels who were to be the initial leaders of the Chapter, at which point it travelled to the Mandeville Point for Warp translation, and was never seen again. After 50 years without further contact, the Chapter has been declared Lost to the Warp. As of the current date, no further contact has been established.

++++ CODES ACCEPTED ++++

++++ THE WATCHERS SEE ALL ++++

What is written above is the truth as known by the wider Imperium. As the Unforgiven know, the truth is a fragile thing.

The Angels of Silence were not lost, as history has recorded. Rather, they hid far from prying eyes. They had other tasks to perform.

Establishing a base of operations within a nebula, far from Imperial observation, the Chapter grew to full strength, drawing recruits from the nearby feral world of Jaimin, with equipment and materiel sent by their parent Chapter. They were inducted into the wider mysteries of the Unforgiven, much like their brother Chapters, in time forming their own Inner Circle, known as the Sin Eaters. It would be to these brethren of the Inner Circle that the true purpose of the Chapter was made known to.

Much as the Disciples of Caliban were created with the purpose of hunting the one known as Cypher, the Angels of Silence were to be a hidden arm of the Unforgiven. The Dark Angels had long known that their hidden shame, that of the Fall, must be kept secret from the Imperium, so had always strove to keep to the shadows, obscuring their true goals. At times, however, it had come to pass that knowledge would be recorded by those with no right to it, entries of ships that, to the Unforgiven at least, should not exist, records of figures the Dark Angels would prefer to disappear from history. It was to this end that the Angels of Silence were put, wiped out in the eyes of the Imperium so that they might sin, so that the sins of others could remain hidden.

So the Angels of Silence began their shadow war, striking in silence against the Imperium itself, appearing merely as raiders coming to burn and destroy. In the eyes of the Chapter, they were performing strikes against recidivists, heretics who had turned from the Emperor, destroying the "tainted" records that had turned many to heresy. The Sin Eaters were those that knew the truth. They struck in silence, burning all before them, so that the Unforgiven could escape scrutiny.

Ok, authors note here. I know this is probably terribly written so far, and is very much rushed. I've basically just tried to get something on paper of an idea I'd always had for an Unforgiven Chapter, mainly one that is "hidden" from the wider Imperium, existing in ignorance of its actual purpose (other than its Inner Circle of "Sin Eaters"), to destroy all Imperial records of the battles and figures that shouldn't exist, at least according to the Unforgiven. So they go in and destroy that Hive, all for the sin of making a record of a Cult existing in a neighboring system led by a figure called Cypher, and the Dark Angels suddenly turning up, abandoning their previous allies to tear the system apart in their search for him, leaving once he's gone. A research outpost is annihilated, for recording the passing of a Fallen ship, previously recorded as being lost in the Warp Storm that claimed Caliban.

I know there's a bit of a negative view on Chapters being lost to the Warp, but is the concept capable of pulling this off? Or am I getting a bit too Mary Sue with this idea? I'll try to get more added if I can, taking on feedback, I just wanted to get a starting point down that I can expand on later.

The concept is interesting, though it does raise some questions. 

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Founding  <- You might want to read through this and adjust few things.

Firstly, 

The Adeptus Mechanicus plays an essential role in the process of a Founding, for its highest echelons are tasked with creating, testing and developing the gene-seed samples that will provide the genetic foundation of the new Chapters. Entire Forge Worlds may be turned over to the manufacture of the mighty arsenal of weaponry, ammunition, Power Armour, vehicles and starships that any such force will require.

Now, it is the same forge world that keeps providing the chapter with their weapons / armor - if your chapter is not on the records this gets harder. You mention in your blurb that it is the Dark Angels that provide  AoS with their gear. However, I would assume that the mechanicus that provides for DA would grow suspicious of one chapter using resources of two. 

Also, who would train the techmarines of the secret chapter? In normal organizations techmarines go to forge worlds to study the machine god and his wonders - for a secret chapter this would not be feasible, unless they masqueraded as Dark Angels.  Warp travel requires astropaths and navigators, both organisations that exist outside the structure of chapters - ancient contracts binding psyker houses to marines, meaning they provide replacements when needed.  Again, secret chapter could not claim access to such - and would have to act via DA proxies. 

While Inquisitors possibly could hide a chapter and might have resources to do that, it's more a question of WHY they would do that.  As far as we know Inquisitors do not know about the Fallen (it's Dark Angel secret after all) and if they knew, DA could be compromised.  Inquisitors already have several chapters / SoB / lackeys to do their bidding. So having DA ask Inquisitors help for their project of 'secret chapter' is somewhat iffy. 

Hiding a chapter is harder than it seems. :yes:

As for Dark Angels hi-jacking a chapter on their own - I guess that's somewhat more plausible but still you have the issues of recruitment and resources. Also, you would kinda violate the chapter only having 1000 men in them as such a chapter would be seen as DA's vassal.  I mean, of course having a secret chapter is probably already illegal as :censored: so that is kinda moot.

Another question that comes to my mind is that why 14th founding. If said records were an issue for DA surely they would have acted before 36th millennium? If the main reason for the chapter's existence is 'protecting dark angels' then they are kinda coming in 6 millennia too late. :P  

So, what is workable?

Being DA successor and Unforgiven is fine.  Occasionally scourging Imperial Records is fine - however you could simply have your chapter paint their armor black or white and wade in without heraldry to burn some books / kill some historians and none would be the wiser of what happened. You don't need to be 'hidden' to protect the reputation of Unforgiven.  

I was thinking the Chapter was organised on the Nomad-Predation pattern, like the Carcharadons, who don't appear to have issues with restock/training, as they claim new materiel from their victims (and as "payment"). I'd imagined the Dark Angels merely helped get the Chapter on their feet, then sent them on their way. I might change the Fortress Monastery from being a battle barge to being a Ramiles star-fort, given that would have working production facilities the Chapter could use for itself.

Also, I wasn't meant to imply that the Inquisition was helping with this, they have no idea what's happened. As far as the Ordo Astartes overseeing the creation of the Chapter are concerned, the Chapter was handed off, at which point it was "lost to the Warp". In reality, they've just gone off the radar, as space is a very big place.

I do think I'll definitely move the founding much earlier, perhaps 3rd founding. And yeah, they don't need to be hidden, it's just that they're already hard at work removing unfortunate coincidences from the records, they don't need to be creating more while they do so.

Greetings Brother. I like your chapter concept, and think it has lots of potential. There are many ways to solve the logistical problems of an off the grid chapter like the Silent Angels. Fortunately it's a big galaxy and that gives you lots of elbow room to maneuver :biggrin.:.  The Carcharadon approach is certainly viable. Here are some other ideas for whatever they are worth.....

The DAs were probably planning this for centuries, perhaps millennia. That would give them a long lead time to procure a surplus of equipment needed to supply the chapter (perhaps even with the help of their primogenitor chapters).... a Rhino shipment lost here, a Strike Cruiser misplaced there,..... over the centuries, who would notice?

Mechanicus support could be procured through contracts and/or alliances with more independent minded Forge Worlds. Fabricator support could be bought with a tasty piece of archeotech. Trained Tech Marines might even be supplied by primogenitor chapters.

Navigators and astropaths could be supplied by Psycher Houses whose fortunes have waned.

Rogue Traders could be another line of supply. 

Hope these few ideas were helpful. The 40k universe supplies almost limitless possibilities..... It's your chapter, and with imagination and a "can do" attitude almost anything can be achieved. Good luck, looks like fun:thumbsup:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Thanks, Brother Lunkhead. Also, for the chapter symbol, I'm thinking of it being a black candle on a white field. If I ever do get around to doing some models for them, I'm thinking of having an inclination towards flamer weaponry, rather than the plasma the Dark Angels are known for.

Seeing as they are a somewhat hidden chapter how about just a black candle? I was just looking at Brother Chiwie's Swords of Davion post in the Hall of Honour (sorry, but having some tech problems with linking right now, otherwise I would). His chapter symbol is a simple sword... quite elegant..... just a thought. I like the flamer idea too. 

Seeing as they are a somewhat hidden chapter how about just a black candle? I was just looking at Brother Chiwie's Swords of Davion post in the Hall of Honour (sorry, but having some tech problems with linking right now, otherwise I would). His chapter symbol is a simple sword... quite elegant..... just a thought. I like the flamer idea too. 

That's basically what I mean. :tongue.:

Black candle, shoulder-pads are white. Slipped into the heraldry-speak a little.

EDIT: Those Swords of Davion are looking really nice. That's similar to what I'm wanting my Chapter to look like, just a bit lighter grey, with some more white/black portions.

Edited by Lord_Caerolion

• 3 weeks later...

What if they had a agreement with some other Unforgiven for a resupply run? Say every X decades they meet up with The Rock or the fleet of another Unforgiven Chapter to exchange supplies, prisoners, information etc?

I really like this concept, and I think using a Nomad-predation pattern like the Corcharadons combined with Brother Lunkhead's suggestions on how they are founded and supplied as well as the tithes the Nomad-Predation pattern allows adequately answers the questions on supply and founding.

Also as a slight aside I love the name of your inner circle the Sin Eaters. That is just f'ing cool!

Now if we could see some heraldry/painted models and the heraldric distinctions between the two that would be smashing

I'll try to get a test model done up. I'm planning to use a Cataphractii Terminator Captain model, just need to find a bit to give him a combi-flamer and power sword instead, and will see about getting a standard Marine done up too, for comparison. The issue is I'm freakishly slow when it comes to painting. Converting models? Yeah, I can come up with ideas for armies and models, and often get the stuff built pretty quick. When it comes to painting though, I basically never get anything done.

The basic idea though, is that as the Marines rise through the Chapter Cult, they get more and more black added to the armour, representing the sin they are taking upon themselves, leaving the rest of the Chapter innocent. So the basic Marines are a mid-tone grey, white shoulders/face, with a black trim and Chapter symbol, getting darker until you get the Sin Eaters, with wholly black armour, with a white Chapter symbol instead, and I'm thinking a white helmet/chest details, to represent their purity despite the sin they have taken on.

In regards to the resupply, I like the idea of the "meet-ups" with the parent Chapter. Perhaps at times the Dark Angels/Successors could "forget" to salvage a "wrecked" chassis, that the Angels of Silence are able to pick up when they arrive later for cleanup.

The basic idea though, is that as the Marines rise through the Chapter Cult, they get more and more black added to the armour, representing the sin they are taking upon themselves, leaving the rest of the Chapter innocent. So the basic Marines are a mid-tone grey, white shoulders/face, with a black trim and Chapter symbol, getting darker until you get the Sin Eaters, with wholly black armour, with a white Chapter symbol instead, and I'm thinking a white helmet/chest details, to represent their purity despite the sin they have taken on.

I really like your choice in colour for you inner circle purely because it evokes memories of the Heresy Era DA colour scheme which seems somewhat appropriate for an inner circle of those who know the truth from those dark days.

I can see what you mean with the addition of the white but I personally would steer clear and keep the bulk of the armour black maybe with perhaps colour added through the robes or under armour to break up the models a bit. Plus it'll make sneaking around easier :P 

Eh, they don't really sneak around, so much as just nobody really knows who they are, like the Carcharadons, and while there are instances of them assisting against non-Imperial forces, when they do act against "recidivist forces", they generally leave no trace of their presence, other than the collateral damage and destruction of their purges. When I say they'll have white helmet/chest details, I mean more as in the faceplate, and any aquila/detailing on the chest will be white.

I'll see what I can do about converting some stuff over the weekend, but unfortunately my painting speed is freakishly slow, and these are essentially just an idea I'd had rattling around in my head for a while now. My main army is Lamenters with Ad Mech/Savlar Chem Dog allies.