Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Captain Tycho

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you play Tycho?

In the past, Tycho would role with Sternguard to make best use of Blood Song. Same idea now (or with Company Veterans)?

How would you make best use of Rites of Battle?

How would you best make use of his Warlord Trait, Selfless Valour?
Stratagems?

Over to you - please note that Tycho the Lost will be discussed in another topic.

Edited by Jolemai

Thanks for the summary :smile.:

So you'd use him backfield with a firebase and as a counter charge element?

Yeah I think so. His close combat isn't enough to write home about and he's not fast enough to get into the fight.

Alternatively he makes an excellent captain to drop pod in with some Devastators and such too.

Something of note might be the plasma bomb.

Company Veterans with plasma/combi-plasma in a pod followed by either a second squad or a plasma/Multi-Melta squad. Re-rolling over charges, with melta guns in tow.

Alternatively piggybacking a squad of Hellblasters is also nice, I also don't hate the idea of him alongside a some Lascannons much like Gabriel Seth for his points.

Perhaps something fun like this? 1850 with wiggle room. There is a lot of room to taste. I'd try it out!

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [35 PL, 608pts] ++

+ Dedicated Transport +

Drop Pod [5 PL, 85pts]: Storm bolter

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]

. Scout: Boltgun

. Scout Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

+ HQ +

Captain Tycho [5 PL, 95pts]

Lieutenants [4 PL, 95pts]

. Lieutenant: Combi-melta, Thunder hammer

Lieutenants [4 PL, 83pts]

. Lieutenant: Combi-melta, Power sword

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [40 PL, 801pts] ++

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 114pts]: Twin assault cannon

Razorback [5 PL, 120pts]: Twin lascannon

Razorback [5 PL, 120pts]: Twin lascannon

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [5 PL, 87pts]

. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Power axe

. 3x Space Marine w/ bolt pistol and chainsword

. Space Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 101pts]: Combi-plasma, Power fist

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [28 PL, 438pts] ++

+ HQ +

Sanguinary Priest [4 PL, 84pts]: Chainsword, Combi-plasma

+ Elites +

Company Veterans [8 PL, 118pts]

. Space Marine Veteran: Chainsword, Plasma gun

. Veteran Sergeant: Combi-plasma

++ Total: [103 PL, 1847pts] ++

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

I've seriously considered Tycho for the gun-line support portion of my army. I plan on getting and building the figure. I may actually try and make my own figure. Not sure.

That means I can turn my "captain" on foot model into an Lt. and use that option as well.

Great thread, never really considered him before.

Right now, I'm testing a Drop Pod with 4 Melta Devs (4 bolters for ablative wounds), Captain Tycho, & Mephiston. He's a great drop pod companion! Blew up a Redemptor and Contemptor in back to back turns.

Anyone situation where you would consider taking a cheap Buffmander is a good situation for taking Tycho. I would say he works slightly better close to the enemy such as in a drop pod or moving up the field with Hellblasters as you will be more likely to make use Bloodsong. If you are parked backfield with devastators then you could save points with a bare-bones captain perhaps.

I like the idea of him with plasma-toting Primaris Marines. The only downside here is they cannot share transports. That means you either need to advance them on foot or you will need a Repulsor for the Hellblasters and a Rhino/RB/LR for Tycho and any buddies he brings along. But an AC or LC Razorback is still a good investment for the points, even after the recent hike so this is not a deal-breaker.

The problem as I see it with strategy is that he's not exactly geared up for many of our tricks. He definitely is better than an equivalent Captain but when you can take so many other gear options on a captain, the point is a bit moot. So he's just different and offers a good value if you just need a solid captain on foot for your tacticals/backline. But tricks are not his forte aside from the suprise back hand of -2AP. It was better when his melta was longer ranged as opposed to having an extra damage and ap -1 on the bolter part.

Synergizes well with Sternguard from what I can see but not exceptionally so. May be good for a drop pod melta squad who can bleed wounds away from him I suppose (company vets).

Anyone situation where you would consider taking a cheap Buffmander is a good situation for taking Tycho. I would say he works slightly better close to the enemy such as in a drop pod or moving up the field with Hellblasters as you will be more likely to make use Bloodsong. If you are parked backfield with devastators then you could save points with a bare-bones captain perhaps.

I like the idea of him with plasma-toting Primaris Marines. The only downside here is they cannot share transports. That means you either need to advance them on foot or you will need a Repulsor for the Hellblasters and a Rhino/RB/LR for Tycho and any buddies he brings along. But an AC or LC Razorback is still a good investment for the points, even after the recent hike so this is not a deal-breaker.

While nothing in the Codex forbids this, I actually wish it had - and by that I mean the ability to use Tycho (regular) with Primaris. From a fluff stanpoint, we know that Tycho got messed up and went full black rage DC. This happened BEFORE Primaris were a thing. Just from a fluff perspective, you should ONLY be able to take DC Tycho in any army that has Primaris. But that's just me.