Tyranid Warriors - tell me why they aren't useless?

Zigmunth

So i have played 5 games with my Tyranid Wariors (among other things of course). I have been giving them Devourers since I have 2nd edition models and do not know which weapon is which ;) Anyway, so far these guys have been only a bullet magnet - for some reason people are scared of them and I do not know why.

How do you equip them? How do you play with them? I am lost and I am paying points for something I do not use.

Deathspitters are much better for 1 extra point, greater range and +1 S and -1 AP. Don't run them by themselves, they're best in small groups for target saturation. Target the opponents MEQ backline units like devestators or dark reapers or their support characters, or use them to tie up a blob of infantry for a few rounds.

I run a 3 man squad with 2 devourers and a venom cannon.

I basically run it as a LasTac squad. extra benefits include Shadows in the Warp and ObSec.

I really like a single unit of warriors, because they have good utility, and all assault based weapons allow them to advance and shoot where I need them with good range.

If you can put them in cover (or you play Jormungandr and you don't need to) they suddenly become quite tricky to shift. I like venom cannon and deathspitters plus boneswords for a mobile shooty/fighty unit. Warriors will never be as Killy as a shooty monster or a brood of Genestealers, but they can do a bit of everything and provide cheap synapse where you need it. If your opponents are scared of your warriors and are shooting them first, then your Genestealers/Devourer Gants/squishy Killy thing will be happier.

OK, so instead of playing them as a squad of 7, which is big and cumbersome, I have added two more (thank god for my bitsbox :biggrin.:) and split them into 3 squads.

This will not only allow me to get another CAD in, together with CPs, but also allow me to add the Swarmlord and Flyrant I am working on. With 18 bases of Ripper Swarms I can split into 9 Troops choices this gives me lots of choices.

I will post more specific loadouts later on, when the models are finished.

Edited by Zigmunth

Indeed. Warriors are expendable support. 

Units of 7 is strange and non optimal, field in multiples of 3 to get max cannons. 

Point for point, nid warriors are strong and have good shooting. Use them for mid field board control, synapse and harassment. They aren't big hitters.

Bear in mind a unit of 3 warriors with deathspitters:

is 75 pts

has 9 wounds

puts out 9 assault heavy bolter shots per turn at 18" (S5, AP-1)

has like, 9 attacks rerolling 1's to hit.

buffs surrounding models

Compare this with 5 intercessors:

90 points

10 wounds

10 S4 AP-1 bolt shots at 15"

10 attacks.

3+ save

Use them as you would intercessors. keep them in cover. They can absorb a lot of small arms fire, and if the opponent is shooting multi damage weapons at the warriors, theyre not shooting them at the big bugs.

Not ot be nitpicky, but Deathspitters have a 24" range now, not 18". That coupled with their lower cost makes them solid midfield support. I'd consider the melee weapons to be more of a fallback than a mainstay.

That's the one. Couldn't remember if it was 12"/18" or 18"/24" for devourers/deathspitters.