+BCC's 1st Legion of The Long War+

Ooooooooooooooh its been too long since I posted anything up!

I return to the path of damnation: The First Legion of The Long War.

"Urkanthos" Warlord of the Hounds of Abaddon and master of the Black Fleet. Mentioned a few codecies ago he's always struck me as a solid choice for a Lord with Lightning Claws. I've got 10 x Warp Talons on the hobby bench for him to lead too.

EB954DEE DE2A 4772 B26F 48F08005AC89

Up next is a basic Sorceror. Whilst my main Psychic dude is normally the ex chief Librarian of the Crimson Slaughter, I found that I could do with a basic guy in power armour to!

A1531481 E8D8 414E 8513 A52E977DA020

And finally: The Bringers of Despair! I've got 20+ of these guys in TDA so I thought it was about time I had a power armoured version also! Plus it means I can have a personal banner bearer for Abaddon too!

507F66DC 0CAC 45B4 AB7B 9644579D5329

BCC

They look great, I think I might be stealing the banner idea for my Chosen too :P

Do it! In previous codecies we’ve been able to take an Icon Bearer for the army as kind of a low tier character. For me a banner bearer is a big part of an army’s fighting force. Plus I like the idea of a veteran command squad that’s a dark mirror of the loyalists versions.

I envision these guys are Abaddons closest and most trusted warriors. The elite of even the Bringers of Despair, they carry the word of their Lord on their lips wherever they go. Trusted with only the most dire of missions and tasks on the battlefield. All of them in this squad are original Sons of Horus possibly even a single Luna Wolf lurking there?

Maybe they numbered a full 20 man squad at one point but thousands of years of horrific conflict have left the hardest, most resilient brothers alive.

I can imagine The Sunder renegades having an ex-command squad definitely WarriorFish! You’d do them great justice and it gives you an excuse to have loads of weapon combos etc too!

BCC

Edited by battle captain corpus

The Icon of Excess is disappointing, I'm still miffed about the change from the FNP version and not just because I had converted up Apothecaries to count as them :P Rule of Cool is plenty enough reason though, and the former command squad idea is great. I've already got a Champ but for the second squad maybe some Chapter Champion bits can be used so it's clear who he used to be :D

20 man Legion sized squad is on the hobby bench now...17 bolters, 2 plasma guns and champion with combi plasma! Combine that with Black Crusaders rule and Warp Time and that's hopefully a thorn in people's sides!...

I'll pop some pics up later but suffice to say they'll be painted quick to clear the decks for Hellbrute number 3!

BCC

You're in the zone, these will really give your BL some extra options. Once you get all three Helbrutes battle ready your lists will be able to diversify nicely :smile.:

Yeah, well hopefully anyway! Means I can really start mixing up detachments etc eventually!

Finally got around to getting these guys finished! Evening spent doing hobby over video link helped me loads!

This squad has been a bookmark for me for ages. A full 20 man squad of recent renegades turned to the Black Legion. With 2 plasma guns and a combi-plasma the idea is that they are a fire support unit that can punch out volleys of bolter fire. Combined with Black Crusader rule and maybe a cheeky Warp Time i see them doing some horrific damage!

Behind the obvious, they are a very recent chapter that's turned to the Path of Damnation, hence the Loyalist nods with power packs and even retaining full armour marks etc.

840E8DC1 6B83 4950 8313 E12A111B7A13

I've always used a mish-mash of armour and bits from many sets so it was nice getting some Space Wolves parts in too. I've actually realised just how Chaosy the SW range of parts can be with all the fur and icons etc so I may top up the bits box soon! On that note: this squad marks the last of me using the original Black Legion shoulder pads in metal by GW. I know not everyone's a fan of them due to scaling issues etc but I have always loved them and this project was an excuse for me to BL properly if you see what I mean!
Anyway, luckily Kromlech (man I love these guys! See pic for the chainmail shoulder pads they do!) do a Chaos Star shoulder pad thats perfect for my BL recruits in the future. I'll be grabbing some of them soon I think!

BCC
Edited by battle captain corpus

The mix of bits works well, this squad will probably be underestimated - with Abaddon nearby they'll be hard to remove and could cause quite a bit of mischief. I think I need to get a few more line troopers done at some point too, I'd still like to get a load of Marines on the table one day :)

The mix of bits works well, this squad will probably be underestimated - with Abaddon nearby they'll be hard to remove and could cause quite a bit of mischief. I think I need to get a few more line troopers done at some point too, I'd still like to get a load of Marines on the table one day :)

Horde marine armies! At this count I’ll have 45 marines running around so plenty of troops to grab objectives and cause shenanigans!

In the note of Abaddon...I may finally be coming to the conclusion that I need the new version. Gaming bonus’ aside (larger base etc) he is a massive model with sone great character going on. Captain Idaho has just finished Guilliman too so that’s even more of an incentive for me. My kitbashed Abaddon from around 7 years ago will On my way! always have a place in my heart though...

BCC

I think it's viable in a more casual setting, saturation is always a thing after all not to mention the board control and any good list starts with a solid Troops core so have choices here really sets your lists up. Plus good options for getting in close and stabbing things which is always nice and Chaosy :tongue.:

Your Abaddon is nice, but the new one is nice too would very much stand out as a centre piece. Maybe he'll be a good reward for you once you've got these painted up and battle ready? It's a simple motivation method but works well for me, and helps you work on the treat model too as you feel you earned it :laugh.:

I think it's viable in a more casual setting, saturation is always a thing after all not to mention the board control and any good list starts with a solid Troops core so have choices here really sets your lists up. Plus good options for getting in close and stabbing things which is always nice and Chaosy :tongue.:

Your Abaddon is nice, but the new one is nice too would very much stand out as a centre piece. Maybe he'll be a good reward for you once you've got these painted up and battle ready? It's a simple motivation method but works well for me, and helps you work on the treat model too as you feel you earned it :laugh.:

Yes true! I've ordered up some crucial paints that were getting low too so as soon as those arrive the BL recruits will be seeing some attention! Then maybe Abaddon as a treat!

On that note: the final 5 Warp Talons have been finished today. The jump packs have been soaking for a week :whistling: so I thought I'd better just get them done! Unfortunately I had underestimated the work needed...Kromlech have stopped making these and frankly it shows why. The sheer amount of poor casting and mould slip is baaaaaad :wallbash: . Though I am very happy with the results; love big jump packs as lets face it they're lifting over a ton of marine skywards!

EB09FC33 AC7C 483F B407 B7C50F2F59D4

So all in all a productive weekend so far!

BCC

So I finally got around to getting the hobby den cleared AGAIN! At least its cooler in there to during the morning and evening.

DAF18D7D 252D 42FA 83BF D605F4F5B0CC

My Kromlech order arrived with my new Black Legion shoulder pads. Crisp and beautiful I think we can all agree!

F3C5B674 5C09 4DA4 8603 04CBD95A5DAC

Looking forward to thinking of which units to add to the collection with these!

I also decided that its about time that the Crimson Slaughter (the largest represented warband) element of my Black Legion force needed finishing. So the last 6 Terminators are just a bit of snow away from being done and then its just a Hellbrute left. This is quite a landmark moment as it signifies for me the final parts of the Crimson Slaughter within my forces. I have always had a huge soft spot for this Chapter and love having them in my BL collection. But their days were numbered and this is reflected in my force. I am lucky enough to have been able to grab a hard copy of the old Crimson Slaughter Codex and its winging its way over to me today! That will now complete my Codex collection for this army!

23A92565 1865 4EDB 9102 A5632347D869

Not a bad update I've realised! Got some awesome hobby lined up too with some online chats etc!

BCC

I thought Kromlech weren't currently shipping to the UK? I am waiting for a new daemon prince to arrive.

Those shoulder pads look really good, wish I picked them up as well now!

If you select DPD delivery they'll deliver to UK. :)

I actually got these pads through TrollTrader to be honest! I would pick some up if I were you for sure they're great!

BCC

Lastnight I attended whats fast becoming a weekly hang out video-hobby-chat-thing and its keeping the mojo flowing!

First up the finished Terminators as promised:

D4F5A426 278E 4323 B6B4 8F695DB88B59

...means I now have lots of variety in the units I can field!

Secondly I wanted to start and finish a mini in the time it takes for our video chat. I almost did it and only had the base to finish this morning. Sure its not a masterpiece but I like it and it was fun incorporating some more of the Black Legions colours.

E1E6E3B6 D99F 46FB 9B12 B898F482F7AE

Cabinets starting to look fuller now so the pile of unpainted shame is being hit next!

BCC

This is fleshing your army out nicely, you're in the hobby zone it seems. What is next from the pile of shame?

Well....it’s either:

20 Man chaos marine unit

7 man Chosen unit

Chaos Sorceror in power armour

....not sure to be honest! I think it will probably be the 20 man squad as it’s going to be a really push to get them done for sure! Though 20 Black Legion guys should look great!

But then the Sorceror would be quick win XD

BCC

Managed to get out earlier and prime these bad boys up!

The plan is to smash these out asap so I can crack onto the Warp Talons I think. I'm just drybrushing the black armour with Eshin Grey, blocking in the metallics then a Nuln Oil wash I think. Then gold trim and go from there. Faces and bases etc as the saying goes!

AF2F346A 05EB 4305 BC98 0BE0AAAB04B8

I was also lucky as this morning the kids wanted to chill out so I found a corner and sank a couple of pots of coffee whilst reading the Codex. This got me to thinking about Exalted Champions. The main idea is for my collection to have Abaddon with 4 Chaos Lords, one from each deity as his commanders. Then below that I do need some "mini heroes" as I've discussed before. An Exalted Champion would definitely tick this box! Obviously twin lightning claws is an easy choice but I have enough of those already in some form. I'm leaning towards something more akin to loyalist Chapter Champions; sword and combat knife kind of look maybe?

Anyway I digress...first things first is to get these guys finished!

BCC

Sword and combat knife would look good.

Plus it's cheap and cheap is what you want for an Exalted Champ.

I have to admit that my Exalted Champions perform best when they are cheerleaders who stay out of melee and just behind the Bezerkers or powerfist Chosen. My opponents know how good an Exalted Champion's buffs are and they know how fragile they are. If I put mine up on the front line they quickly get whacked to death.

So a nice cheap powersword is about all they really need.

Keeping them cheap is always good, but if you want to go character hunting with them it's worth going for more than a power sword I reckon. Even if that's instead taking something like an axe (as you expect to come up against an invulnerable save)? I've thought a few times about a power fist but as Tallarn says might be a bit too much of a target on him.

Cheers for all of the ideas guys!

@WarriorFish and Megavolt87: yeah I think axe maybe the way to go aswell. Rules wise it's far better and secondly it also clicks with the executioner role. Plus like you say it's very SoH, the killing strike that goes for the throat!

I'll search through the bits box and see what axes I have. I'm pretty sure I have some of he double handed Space Wolf axes lying around so a looted weapon it may be...after all nothing is below us sons of the Long War. ;)

Plasma pistol is also a natural choice though I'll model it as holstered so I can keep points down if needs be.

BCC

Well nice thing is if you go for the two handed axe and holstered pistol you could also always run the exalted champion as a master of executions if you wanted to as well.

...I didn't even think of that! Awesome idea! :biggrin.:

Finally...after a little bit of wait...the prrrrrrrrrrrecioussssssssssss has arrived! I've been after this book for a while and now it is all mine! This completes my Chaos Codex shelf!

848978D0 5F1C 49BA AB1D C15AFC5AB6A7

9EFCC806 C7BE 4657 B11D CBA35434BD0F

As I have said before, the Crimson Slaughter are possibly my favourite renegade chapter. For those not in the know they were created by GW with the Dark Vengeance boxed game back in 6th Edition. A whole new Chaos Chapter made from scratch with a truly horrific affliction and background that is very well thought out. This supplement Codex frankly almost put others to shame in my eyes! If you get the chance to look at it please make sure you do, the fluff is excellent. 

Their future though was always uncertain and after joining Abaddon's cause they were killed almost to man in the newer fluff. I wasn't a fan of this and as such my collection includes plenty of these die hard veterans!

BCC