+BCC's 1st Legion of The Long War+

Cheers for all of the ideas guys!

@WarriorFish and Megavolt87: yeah I think axe maybe the way to go aswell. Rules wise it's far better and secondly it also clicks with the executioner role. Plus like you say it's very SoH, the killing strike that goes for the throat!

I'll search through the bits box and see what axes I have. I'm pretty sure I have some of he double handed Space Wolf axes lying around so a looted weapon it may be...after all nothing is below us sons of the Long War. :wink:

Plasma pistol is also a natural choice though I'll model it as holstered so I can keep points down if needs be.

BCC

Looted SW axe? Don't you mean a trophy from Istvaan III killing Luna Wolves who rejected the Warmaster? ;)

@Prot & WarriorFish: yeah....I have been entertaining the thought of trying to bastardise the rules into 8th edt for them in friendly beer & pretzel play. Hmmmmmm...

@MegaVolt87: my BL liberate a LOT of equipment it's true...most of my minis have a fair amount of loyalist and other parts! Hey...it's not easy rearming out on Black Crusades! X)

BCC

Maybe some of the renegade traits are worth exploring, see if one fits? Then you could run a small Crimson Slaughter Detachment :)

.....or I could do that yeah. XD

I’ll have a look later at the older rules and try to marry them up with existing 8th edt ones. Luckily the gaming group I’m part of is very cool and understanding so they’ll probably like me mucking around with warlord traits etc anyway. ;) X)

BCC

I got around to grabbing a project picture at last yesterday. The shelf is getting a bit of a squash and a squeeze (cookie for reference:teehee: ) so maybe a new cabinet is in order...

3D05AA4B FBCF 45B5 8F78 B7CD255060A3

They may not be the prettiest minis around but they have an old school vibe about them that I love and its only a tabletop standard project to churn out anyway! :biggrin.:

BCC

Can't beat army shots, they look great together :tu: Does look like it needs more black though to be more Black Legion...

Yeah I think with the addition of my last Crimson Slaughter (though pledged to the Black Legion) I agree that the look had now swung a bit far! X)

But fear not! They’ll be over 40 Black Legion in full “reborn in ash and gold” joining them soon!

BCC

lovely looking army. I have a soft spot for all CSM anyway, but seeing an army coming together like that is icing on the cake. How much of the army is Black Legion and how much of it is Crimson Slaughter?

Do I not see any possessed in that picture?

Cheers Prot! :)

Currently...the army is around 75% Crimson Slaughter, with a squad from the Violators Chapter also present. But the balance will swing the other way soon!

Possessed....man. I love the rules and the background is soooooo good but the minis have not stood the test of time. But weirdly I use a LOT of possessed parts/bits across all of my squads as in component form they work to make “normal” marines very Chaos looking!

Note: my army is fully Black Legion for both fluff and gaming. Every model has the black and gold of the Legion in some form. The idea is that they are being recruited by Abaddon and as they enter his service they repaint a portion of their armour to show loyalty. From then on they repaint their army fully in due course. The idea came from the older codecies. :)

BCC

Edited by battle captain corpus

Phew! :wallbash:

Well at last the 20 man squad is finished to tabletop standard for now! These were a long slog considering my normal churn out speed so I'm glad to be honest to have them off the painting desk & into the cabinet! :thumbsup:

6E13E5BB 0924 4805 BB39 EF68A55A09A1

They will make the "new" backbone to the project though and hopefully will crush most things they oppose!

Warp Talons x10 will be next or the Chosen squad I cant decide which?

The Talons will have bone extrusions for the talons and growths and blue lightning claws I think and that’ll be fun to do! But the Chosen are ALL of the gilding/bling as I used the Thousand Sons torsos & legs....hmmmmmm

BCC

Well worth it though, the full squad looks great and will form a nice core to future lists. Good Troop options are something that really helps with throwing lists together I've found :)

I think the Warptalons should be next, a little reward for completing the 20 Marine squad plus they add something different to your forces :tu:

• 3 weeks later...

....so...It's been a busy few days!

I've been working through my Warp Talons first of all. I wanted to get them finished (at least the first 5 anyway!) and into the cabinet asap. I though I needed a splash more colour too so went for some 2/3rd edition vibes. :teehee:

F6218C16 F15C 4AA6 B9FE 23174E13A5A6

I think they came out quite nicely for now!

Then I had a hobby evening via video link and spent some time assembling the Nurgle followers for my BL. I did a couple of headswaps and removed some of the bling from the Terminator lord...cant have him over shadowing Abaddon now can we! :wink:

8B9DD867 EE13 4613 BC1E 0F78201560D9

The pox walker guys will be cultists and the Plague Marine Squad can triple up as normal Chaos Marines, Plague Marines or even Chosen I guess?! Once this small contingent is finished it'll bring my current number of troops choices upto a respectable 6 (potential 7) ready for 9th edition! :wink.:

And lastly...I've run out of space in the cabinet for these guys! Here's a full collection shot so far. The infantry part, after the Nurgle detachment, is finished for now I think. Which can only mean one thing...the big stuff! Another Hellbrute, a Predator, a Landraider and then the BIG reward for finishing those...a renegade Knight! :devil:

4857C9C7 4E7F 4E65 8848 C431CB3D7762

So that's been 2 years! What started off as a small 500 points project to use up old minis I'd assembled years ago, for a trip to Warhammer World, has led to this! I'm really very happy with the results and they've had some amazing games and also built up a fantastic narrative arc against WarriorFish's amazing "The Sunder" renegades!

BCC

I got some time this week to make a start on my Nurgle contingent for the Black Legion.

First up was the Plague Marines themselves. Quick to assemble, though i did have to make a quick head swap just so they have my "stamp" on them at least! :happy.:

I am tempted to add on the mini box they do of 3 extra Plague Marines too, as then I will have a Champion and some more bolters! Same with the icon bearer mini but we shall see!

32769F7A 8088 4F13 9D14 F84BAC96BCA0

The Lord in Terminator Armour was next. I confess that this mini has been on my hit list since it first came out. The raw menace and size of it is just fab! Though I'm not a fan of the fake smoke and huge trophy racks, so they were lost in favour of a more classic TDA look. Head swap was also inevitable, thank you to Excessus for the recommendation!

33844B31 5D72 4C00 9877 254638A1E144

So with those guys all finished it was time for a unit that I've been looking forward to kitbashing for a while. The Hounds of Abaddon Chosen unit. All of the Khorne warriors within the Black Legion are banded together under this larger Warbands rule. Urkanthos is my Warlord who rules this merry group and I've already put him into the cabinet. So it was time his honour guard appeared I guess. Obviously they can be used as Berzerkers or Chosen. The axes are wonderful but sadly out of production now. :unsure.:

2CB5D947 9FDF 49B1 A866 6B82ACD284EC

...another back banner too. :biggrin.: Easiest way to make icon bearers after all! I'll try and get them painted this week I think.:teehee:

BCC

Great poses on them, you're going to have a completely different army to put on the table for 9th at this rate :tu:

Hahahahaha! Pretty much yeah that’s the plan! I’m in an assembling mood at the moment so I may add another 10 man Bolter squad soon too. Can’t ever have enough boltguns after all!

BCC

Another week and a couple of units have been added to the painting queue...I knew it wouldn't be clear for long. :facepalm:

I have wanted to add a bit more variety to my troops....though I have 6 choices already this would mean I can run those pure assault or pure shooty lists maybe in the future.

So after some bitz searching I knocked up a quick 10 man unit all with bolt pistols and chainswords. They're in the same boat as the Crimson Slaughter and have joined Abaddons cause more recently. Their armour will be the black and gold but there isn't too much mutation going on!

DBA43696 4CA8 4026 8AED 85D945D440AB

....and FINALLY I have all 4 of the Dark Gods represented within my BL collection! A Slaanesh Lord! Previously of the Violators Chapter (of whom I have squad already) this chap has risen to prominence.

BFEEBA31 6CB7 4789 924F 336C2A1E5842

Now with this guy assembled I can have the gods represented in differing ways within the collection.

BCC

• 7 months later...

That's been a long gap for me!

Normally I would have been to Warhammer World to meetup with some awesome guys for gaming etc a couple of times but the world went sideways lets face it. Hobby wise there's been interruptions; moving house and real world stuff to deal with. Job, blah blah. I'm not complaining as my jobs great and it does mean I get hobby time though.

So now that I have finally re-filled the cabinet after moving I'm severely lacking vehicles. WarrioFish has added a rhino or two to his renegades and I think that in 9th armour is even stronger to. With that that in mind I'm going on a quick spree of tanks for a bit I think. These 2 rhinos have been spiked up and gouged with clippers and basically Chaosified. Hopefully with another added that will be enough transport for a while. 3 rhinos is great and means I can field rapid response Chosen etc one day.

CAFF3F89 B27E 4243 A0D8 D4D483B9E847

I'm really looking forward to adding a couple of Predators to. I lucked out a year ago and bought the last Black Legion panels/doors that GW/FW made. Pure fluke but it does mean my first Predator will be suitably knarly! The first will be full lascannons and the second with autocannon and heavy bolters. Then I can swap them around as much as I like.

BCC

So I grabbed a couple of hours last night for a hobby chat with a good friend and managed to finish the Predator! It is a real shame that FW dropped the Black Legion kits as they add a lot of flavour to any vehicle. Still, I have the rhino doors to add to another tank at some point so not all bad!

086E5A55 516C 49C4 B3F3 BDAB0F1A0A88

This is is actually the first chaos predator I’ve ever built and it was a huge amount of fun chopping and changing the muzzles for the gargoyle heads etc. I’d definitely recommend this kit for anyone who’s even considering it as the kit bashing alone is great! I spent a fair amount of time considering where to put the trophy racks. I wanted to have them on the model but still maintain the look that the turret and actually traverse in any direction still. The sponsons are glued in place, I’m heavy handed and all of my collection is built around the fact that they can get battered around the board! The turret is separate for transports and so I can make noises while I game. :rolleyes: :wink:

Fingers crossed it will stay bright enough to prime today if not I may even bash out the second predator so I have all of the options etc. That one will have the Dakka variant.

BCC

Grabbed a quick hour and a half session to get this done, I’ve genuinely forgotten how much fun it is to paint tanks that’s for sure!

it came exactly how I intended which is rare for me! A bit dirt and scrapes to make it look less pristine etc. It’s great to have it sitting in the cabinet now!

BBDFEC18 1C63 464E 86CF EDBC02196DB8

1F65E2C0 F14E 4955 A41D 491FD8F8F12A

If the predator comes out half as nice as this quick job did I’ll be very happy!

Hope you all like it!

Happy hobbying!

BCC

• 2 weeks later...

Got around to getting these guys finished at last! They’ve been kicking around the hobby desk for nearly a year I think so it’s about time they made it into the cabinet. They’ll double up nicely as either Bezerkers or Khorne Chosen.

I’m still no closer to deciding what to put on the back banners but they’re painted to tabletop and that’s enough for now. 

691AAD7B 74A8 476A B0C2 1EDAB9BD37DB

Let me know what you think guys. :smile.:

BCC