Your thoughts on the Primaris and lore progression

FerociousBeast

I'm concerned less with the existence of Primaris and more with the core concepts of the background - emphasis on the religious excess and gothic nature of the Imperium.

Primaris don't even hint at this. In fact Ultramarines don't either which is why I wouldn't advocate them as GW primary example of the most popular force of the Imperium they sell (i.e. Space Marines).

I'm also unhappy with the likelihood of strife between Primaris and the Imperium being diminished. I'd love a internal conflict, even a factional conflict if not war between Guilliman and his supporters of change (Primaris included) and Imperial hidebound institutions.

This avenue would provide a reason for blue on blue battles, a reason for all sorts of personal narrative for us all. You can even split 2 Chapters into traditionalists who break away from those who follow Guilliman.

Imagine Calgar leading classic Marines away from Ultramar and forming the Warborn (the Ultramarines from before a time of Guilliman) who keep their heraldry as it's the symbol of Ultramar (like the Warborn did I believe but can't remember right now) but oppose Primaris.

They don't have to be traitors. They can still protect the Imperium but they diverge from their mainstream parent Chapter.

New models, new concepts. Unlimited potential.

But I doubt we'll get anything so bold. Sadly.

It comes back to examples of missed opportunity. Best example of which is the Nova Terra Interregnum - the time of two Imperiums. This is something that screams for development, but aside from throwaway lines here and there nothing has ever been done with it.

The Dark Imperium offers the same opportunities, but based on Girlyman's fanfiction it seems there's absolutely no difference between the "light" and "dark" Imperiums.

@Ishagu

Whether the Apothecaries or Techmarines could have accomplished what Cawl did is 100% irrelevant.

Bottom line is every last one of them were told that doing what Cawl did is HERESY. No exceptions.

Now they're being told that they will be branded traitors if they don't accept what everything they have ever been taught tells them is heretical.

Accepting it, from their point of view, SHOULD be considered heresy in and of itself.

@Schlitzaf

I'm aware of the Lamenters, they are one of the Cursed Founding chapters.

So were the Flame Falcons, who WERE branded heretics because of a genetic mutation that caused them to burst into flame in battle. They were eradicated by the Grey Knights for a genetic mutation they had nothing to do with creating.

Several other Cursed Founding chapters were culled for genetic deviance, and the Inquisition is looking at the Black Dragons really hard even now.

The issue there is, for the most part 21st Founding chapters don't KNOW their geneseed was tampered with. And unless something really weird pops up (like catching on fire or growing bone spurs out of their arms) no one else knows either.

60% of all Marines are descendants of the Ultras - they'll fall in line with Guilliman. The other 40% have no reason not to trust a loyal son of the Emperor, the Custodes and the priesthood of Mars.

100% of all Primarchs are descendants of the Emperor - they'll fall in line...

As for reasons not to trust a Loyal son, Revived by Xenos death magic, claiming to have spoken to the Emperor, painting himself orange and screaming 'Your Fired' at half the High Lords and taking over, forcing other people to accept genetic abominations 'or else'... 

An Inquisitor should call out Guilliman and his pet Tech-Heretik and declare them Traitor. 

We have long passed the point where hyperbole, misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and knee-jerk reactions have made this topic not just boorish, but disruptive.

Some of us like the new lore. Some of us don't. All of us can point out things we like and don't like about the new lore. We can agree to disagree.

Now let's move on with enjoying the hobby, coping with the lore in whatever way each of us needs to cope with it so that we can enjoy the hobby.

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

Archived