SMM's Death Guard

SkimaskMohawk

Figured you guys above all would enjoy the Death Guard and maybe it'll get me motivated to finish up my back log and redo some of my other stuff. Also proof that I play them and not just comment on all the threads :P.

I really didn't want to do green, and painting white is a torture to a point where I'm satisfied. Instead I went with a dirty iron and rust look, something I'd experimented on with Ironjawz and was really happy with. Now I do have a good amount painted, but I never ended up taking pictures and would honestly like to go back and retouch them up as well as change the skin tone on Mamon and some heralds/nurglings. So all in all, not a lot of models done that I'm pleased with enough for photos.

First is this bugger I finished today. Assembly was just terrible on my part, but I'll try and blame as much as I can on snap-together models being unforgiving with the snapping. Other than that and my terrible pictures I'm really happy with the end result.

925956_md-Blood%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Monste925958_md-Blood%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Monste925957_md-Blood%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Monste925959_md-Blood%2C%20Daemons%2C%20Monste

Next is the champion for my Deathshroud. He's performed great in most games where he gets to melee, and on top of that the pictures are of decent quality too.

908819_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20C908815_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20C908816_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20C908817_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20C

And the champion I use as my power armoured chaos lord since he has no plasma gun.

907501_md-Blood%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Death%20907500_md-Blood%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Death%20907499_md-Blood%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Death%20

See you with some more models (or better pictures)!

Thanks guys, honestly a lot of technical paint crutch-work or id never finish anything and get lost in the details.

Should I paint up the surgeon and tallyman next, or decide between keeping my current Daemon scheme (fly on the champ shoulder) and a red-tinted albino; gw herald of nurgle for the prior and the fw herald for the latter?

I like it a lot. I think the rust on the armor needs some more work tho. Look at the rust on the scythe. It looks much better imo.

Well the only difference of the rust on the scythe vs the normal rust is that there's blood on it. The added depth from the red going into some of the crevasses and defining it more is probably what you're talking about.

If there's a lot of rust areas on some models I've occasionally dry brushed some mithril to pick out the edges or brown/purple washed the gaps to show the detail, but on the general divots I tend not not. Maybe I'll go back and wash the cracked areas once everything to standard though

Wait... I can paint my Deathguard with leadbelcher spray too? :wink:

You can spray prime everything with leadbelcher! My Blood Angels are mainly metalic as well since they were supposed to be Knights of Blood originally! :D

(I also found there isn't really a problem painting over leadbelcher primer with any color so far so even if you don't have any metalic on your model it's a decent primer)

• 2 months later...

So it's been a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been painting anything. These are all pretty much Elite choices, all varying WIP; I'll get the Troops and Fast another day.

First is the Blightbringer. I missed the nurgling's teeth and some indentations on a bell, but he's done other than that.

939162_md-Noxious%20Blightbringer%20WIP.939163_md-Noxious%20Blightbringer%20WIP.

939164_md-Noxious%20Blightbringer%20WIP. 939165_md-Noxious%20Blightbringer%20WIP.

Next are the unit of Deathshroud. The champion is done, while the other two need bases, verdigris on scythes and highlights on the cloth.

908819_md.jpg908816_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20C908817_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20C908818_md-Blood%2C%20Cataphractii%2C%20C

939167_md-Deathshroud%20Bodyguard%20WIP.939169_md-Deathshroud%20Bodyguard%20WIP.939166_md-Deathshroud%20Bodyguard%20WIP.939173_md-Deathshroud%20Bodyguard%20WIP.

Unfortunately I managed to lose my Plaguecaster at a Tournament, so there isnt any more progress from last time. I do have a second one from the starter kit, but in the meantime I'm painting Typhus up to get my fill of psychic support.

I still got all the verdigris left to do on him and the eyes, as well as probably redoing the nurgling. I'm going to do up the smoke/flies seperately and see how it looks before coming to any decisions about that

939148_md-Typhus%20WIP.jpg939149_md-Typhus%20WIP.jpg

939174_md-Deathshroud%20Bodyguard%20%2B%

And a double post for more pics

The Tallyman is nearly finished, all I have left is the base and cleaning up the dangling bones and his eyes. Lots of detail on this model, and I tried to do the writing in a blood looking ink, which probably doesn't help.

939156_md-Tallyman%20WIP.jpg939158_md-Tallyman%20WIP.jpg

I keep on squeezing the Plague surgeon into my lists because I love the model, but I'm honestly not looking forwards to doing all the vials and syringes. I've never really tried the liquid-in-glass effect before so we'll see how that turns out. Still a whole lot of work and details left to do on him. Verdigris, weapon, red cloth, white smock, syringes, cords, blood, etc... 

939159_md-Plague%20Surgeon%20WIP.jpg939160_md-Plague%20Surgeon%20WIP.jpg939161_md-Plague%20Surgeon%20WIP.jpg

Did I mention that I need to learn how to do glass effects? Because the Putrifier has a ton of bottles on him. I'm also doing a minimum of rust, since a lot of the sores and divots in his armour looks like there's fleshyness underneath. Hopefully the end result is nice and not too jarring next to my other models. Still a heavy WIP.

939150_md-Biologus%20Putrifier%20WIP.jpg939151_md-Biologus%20Putrifier%20WIP.jpg939152_md-Biologus%20Putrifier%20WIP.jpg

Final model is the Blightspawn. I initially really didn't like the model, but having seen it in person I think it's fantastic! Still not the keenest on a lot of the CAD re-use though. Still a bunch of verdigris, base, flesh touchups and other details. And glass.

939153_md-Foul%20Blightspawn%20WIP.jpg939154_md-Foul%20Blightspawn%20WIP.jpg 

Thanks for looking!

Yea those are awesome scuplts. I agree many of them didn't impress me but when I held them, saw them personally I was really impressed. 

Your take on them thus far is very cool, very creepy... I also don't envy your vial work ahead of you. I really got tired of painting my Plague Surgeon. I too use him purely for the model. 

The only one I don't own now is the Putrifier... I agree the amount of glass bottles... I have to figure out a short cut for that with the airbrush or something because it looks like way too much work otherwise. lol

But on the other hand I haven't really made a list that he would work in. Have you had much success with him?

At any rate I still love the unique look you've taken on the Death Guard. It very much works imo.  :tu:

@Prot The only way with an airbrush I assume is if you'd want to go with bottles murky and full. Just speculating since I'm rather unproffeccient with mine other than the basics of blending with directional sprays. I actually haven't had a game with the putrifier or BlightSpawn yet since I just got them the other week and have been painting. I want to get a box of Marines and do an 8 man with flails and double knife in a rhino for the biologus combo; cheap as possible without any other guns to conflict with the purpose of unloading within 6". It'll makeover build one of my deimos rhinos I still have in the box.

@Black triton I'm really avoiding the glass hahah

Done the virdigris on Typhus and he's certainly coming together. But I'm still unable to decide if he needs the contrast of the smoke or if it's just too busy.

939663_md.jpg939662_md-Typhus%20WIP%202.jpg939661_md-Typhus%20WIP%202.jpg939660_md.jpg

Nice!  It seems as though Grandfather Nurgle sprinkled his blessings around Camelot, and has brought Arthur’s knights into the fold.  I like the different scheme...Plague Knights.  They look great!

I might just steal that as a vectorum name ;) Jokes aside, I always found it odd that they had all these warp diseases that infected them and their weapons to the point where all but the biggest creatures were equally vulnerable to the plagues...but it only stained their armour instead of stripping the paint off.

Very cool to see the iron armour works for Nurgle, awesome job :tu: One of the warband ideas I've had bobbing around in my head for what must be years now was going to do something similar...

Thanks man, it's certainly a departure from the more traditional schemes.

Now onto a bit of a rant.

I picked up two boxes of plague marines yesterday; despite my opinion that poxwalkers and cultists are flat out better in a high competitive sense, I've really enjoyed using plague marines more than the above, and wanted to supplement my 3 msu squads with a bit more. I'm planning to make 2 flails, 2 more Blight Launchers, 1 plasma gun champ, 1 barebones champ and the rest as bolters and as many double knife as I can make/convert.

But the kit sucks. The models and detail are beautiful. But theres absolutely no variety. Everything is so keyed that one torso will only support two (occasionally three) total builds. There's next to no alternate chest plates, with one being dependant on taking the flail or not; no alternate shoulders; all the heads are keyed to specific torsos. To get variety across multiple boxes you have to bust out the greenstuff, saw and knife so you can adjust all the keyed stuff and weapon arms and torsos.

There's so much individuality in the models, but you're stuck with so few options out of the kit that if you're disinclined to do some non trivial conversions, then you have a bunch of extremely similarly posed and mutated guys. This is the kind of thing I expect from Elite units like terminators or Veterans; units that aren't meant to range past 5 in most cases. Not the book defining troop choice that goes up to 20.

I haven't even gotten started on only 1 of each special weapon, or the complete inability to make more than 1 2xknife guy when it's unit wide and free. Maybe if they had dropped the box to 5 guys they could have circumvented some keying and added more of their options; theyre already fine selling us the Plague brethren or the easy to build to make a "complete" unit of 10 as well as a clamshell champion and icon.

Anyways, rant over. I'm going to try 8 dudes with 2 flails in a rhino with a putrifier and maybe a blightspawn as a nice big frontline distraction from the rest of my msu plague marine units this afternoon

Archived