+++ Recreating Khorne Daemonkin for 8th Edition +++

Prot

Commissar, how different do you think your list would play if you dropped the Rhinos in favor of Dreadclaws? 

I think it's a cool choice to consider but it forces the Dreadclaws to be on the ground turn 1. While that idea isn't bad, the best thing about Dreadclaws in my opinion is the option to deep strike with them too. So if your going to skip on Bloodletter deep strikes (for going mono World Eater for example) I think they are optional and otherwise... Well they are practically twice the cost of a naked Rhino or 20 Bloodletters without icon and instrument.

So the option is there but the points are hard to comeby plus it forces the Dreadclaw to be a flying Rhino and I think it's a little too expensive for that. The best way to incorporate one would likely be to drop Karanak but all Psycic powers considered I don't know how great of an idea that is. 

Basically the only thing that's holding Dreadclaw inclusion back for me is the forced troops on the field.

The thing that holds Dreadclaws back for me is the low chance of getting a successful charge with their transported unit - only 47% for a berzerker squad with Icon, vs 97% for a bloodletter bomb. Outside of using Warp Time, there's just no way to improve that.

For a Daemonkin list, you're better off using berzerkers in rhinos to form a second wave IMHO.

Which is a shame, because I have four legit FW Dreadclaws that are probably going to remain unfinished for a while now.

Pretty much can only agree with you there Cheex.

There are so many advantages to the Bloodletter bombs that everything that removes one unit of them feels like it's distracting from the main point. At least in the competitive sence that is. Because one of the many advantages of these Bloodletter bombs is that they can comfortably assault (on paper) outside of Flamer ranges and yes that near 100% guarantee matters a ton also. The Banner of Blood is just essential to us. In the very same vein that deep striking strats are essential to Chaos Daemons as a whole.

I do think that Berzerkers in Rhino's are an amazing well proven second wave. This is also why I'd love to have the unit set up a little bit different but Bloodletters are just easier to include. In addition there arn't that many relevant Stratagems for World Eater Berzerkers either, which is also why I feel spending them into Khorne Daemons is just a smarter move.

Having said this, I think that for casual gaming you should just go however you want to! This 80 Bloodletters list isn't really designed to have a ton of fun but basically to present a mono Khorne army into a competitive (tournament) setting. Because great as this list seems, there are still many other lists doing many other nasty things too that can roll up this plan. It's just that I deem the model quantity solid enough that it isn't an easy awnser.

I still really feel that despite the small selection of models we are giften with Bloodletters and Berzerkers this edition for their combat output vs cost. Just using a few means they are still quite easy to stop but using this many should be an issue in itself. 

Here is a list I have been working on for my 8th edition "KDK"

World Eaters Battalion 

HQ

Exalted Champion: AoBF, Chainsword

Khârn the Betrayer

Troops

(8) Khorne Berzerkers: Champion: PF/BP, x2 Chainaxe, x2 PP, IoW

(8) Khorne Berzerkers: Champion: PF/PP, x2 Chainaxe, x1 PP, IoW

(20) Cultists w/CCWs

Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment

LoW

Spartan Assault Tank: x2 Quad Lascannon

Khorne Daemons Battalion 

HQ

Bloodmaster: Crimson Crown

Skarbrand

Troops

(24) Bloodletters: Banner and Icon

(16) Bloodletters

(16) Bloodletters

Total: 1893

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what I would do with the rest of the points to get me to 2000. Something I was considering  was making making 4x5 units of Berzerkers and putting them all inside the Spartan. it would allow me to put more power fists in my list than I could do with just 2 squads. In order to make it all fit I'll have to drop 1 cultist which will bring me down to 19. That actually works out fine because the only point of the cultist is to bubble warp the Spartan (and probably Skarbrand) on the table. With that many models I should be able to surround the heavy hitters and deny a charge and keep them relatively safe from an Alpha Strike. The unit of 24 Bloodletters will deep strike in with the Bloodmaster. His crown artifact should be able to buff them decently when they charge. If the cultist survive they will double as objective grabbers along with the other units of Bloodletters, as well as tying anything up in the mid/backfield. Skarbrand and the Spartan full of goodies of course go and do what they do best. 

Looks like a really neat start to me!

Despite the regular favour of the eight numbers in units (I like it too, see Berzerkers) I do not think Daemons have to really prove Khorne they are devoted to him or his sacred number ;)
So with this fluffy aspect in mind I'd much rather see you running 3 units of 20 instead of needing to get 60 Bloodletters anyway but not optimize them. Prime reason is that with the World Eater part you can easily have enough drops on the field and deep strike the Daemons. 

With this in mind and the points left I'd fill up the last 107 as followed:
-Skip the 24/16/16 run 20/20/20 instead add Daemonic Icon and Instrument of Chaos to them, both to me are upgrades that seem really mandatory for us. Biggest reason being Blood Banner but the Instrument of Chaos just secures those charges which are always essential for us. 
- This removes 78 points, leaving 29 which allows you to upgrade the Bloodmaster directly to Skulltaker.
- It's also a good plan to consider using the last 29 points to pimp out the Exalted Champion, maby upgrade him for a Chaos Lord and all that :)

In terms of some Artefact swapping and such a lot is possible. As long as you keep the door open to Blood Banners there is very little that can go wrong, use this to our advantage. 

Cheers,

So, on your notes.. I completely see the benefit in 3x20 unit of Bloodletters. I just figured having as large a bomb as possible (I guess the full 30 would be better) would make the "bomb" most deadly. 

The modifications to the list I typed up is actually going for competitive over fluff which is why I decided to go away from units of 8 for the Zerkers. 

Am I correct in my thinking that dropping a unit of 30 would be better than a unit of 20? 

Competitive list modifications:

World Eaters Battalion

HQ

Khârn the Betrayer

Troops

(5) Khorne Berzerkers: Champion: PF/BP, x2 Chainaxe, x2 PP, IoW

(5) Khorne Berzerkers: Champion: PF/PP, x2 Chainaxe, x1 PP, IoW

(5) Khorne Berzerkers: Champion: PF/BP

(18) Cultists w/CCWs

LoW

Khorne Daemons Battalion

HQ

Skarbrand

Troops

(30) Bloodletters: Banner and Icon

(10) Bloodletters

(10) Bloodletters

Total: 1999

So, on your notes.. I completely see the benefit in 3x20 unit of Bloodletters. I just figured having as large a bomb as possible (I guess the full 30 would be better) would make the "bomb" most deadly. 

The modifications to the list I typed up is actually going for competitive over fluff which is why I decided to go away from units of 8 for the Zerkers. 

Am I correct in my thinking that dropping a unit of 30 would be better than a unit of 20? 

Competitive list modifications:

World Eaters Battalion

HQ

Khârn the Betrayer

Troops

(5) Khorne Berzerkers: Champion: PF/BP, x2 Chainaxe, x2 PP, IoW

(5) Khorne Berzerkers: Champion: PF/PP, x2 Chainaxe, x1 PP, IoW

(18) Cultists w/CCWs

LoW

Khorne Daemons Battalion

HQ

Skarbrand

Troops

(30) Bloodletters: Banner and Icon

(10) Bloodletters

(10) Bloodletters

Total: 1999

I still like the list but running units of 20 Bloodletters with Instrument and Icon has several advantages that really make up the strength of what Codex Chaos Daemons can present.

1. With the whole tool kit you get the potential of the 20 bonus, which will not likely be there but as before, the potential is there.

2. With the 20 you can still deep strike them for 1 CP.

3. With the Instument and Icon you can upgrade the Icon to the Blood Banner to guarantee charges with 3d6+1".

4. Using 30 is certainly stronger in the attrition terms as 20 but what we also see is that you'll seldomly need 30 to deal with things. It's easy to overdo it and I feel because of that 20 is just 'right'. It has the body count to survive overwatch while it also has the advantages of being low CP and great with charging. 

Loading the Spartan up remains a great option and so is the Spartan in dealing with tanks with it's ton of lascannons and all that. However the one issue I have with the set up with full Spartan's in general is that you can respond to a split up army somewhat but there is a limit in flexability of where the units are applied. This issue can be solved with Bloodletters but running 30/10/10 vs 20/20/20 still means you can respond good somewhere and have two units of 10 who arn't guaranteed to charge, who can't thake the Blood Banner and basically are just a gamble to include for any purpose.

Still, if you have tried it let us now how you feel about it! As before, I think the list is strong enough in the WE part but you can include Skarbrand and multiple units of 20 Bloodletters which just cause huge issues to pretty much all armies.

Previous list had one little mistake in it, for whatever reason I forgot to add the cost for the Hellforged sword on the Daemon Prince with Wings. All in all that doesn't really matter because luckily I had a Combi-plasma which now got downgraded to a Plasma Pistol and the removal of a Combi Bolter on a Rhino. All small stuff that shouldn't really matter too much anyway.

So plans for 2018 certainly include this list:
https://s9.postimg.org/pti2o8s59/20180201_120705.jpg

Now certainly the list could grow into a third Detachment aswell if we really wanted that and I'm playing with the idea, because Karnak seems like a solid deal anyway and going completely without any form of Psycic defence can spell a potential bad future?

Feel free to share and let me know more Khorne Daemonkin thoughts! I suppose that most of the interest in 40K Khorne is much smaller as is for AoS' Khorne but I'm still eager to see similar or very different ideas. Skarbrand is still on my to get list also :D

I think anti-psyker potential that doesn’t waste CP every turn is definitely worthwhile. I never include it in my lists, as I don’t own Karanak. I have tons of WFB war hounds to proxy as flesh hounds, but I’d always rather run cooler looking models so they don’t end up being used either. Waiting for that new kit to come... some day.

I did, however, pick up Skarbrand. :) Very excited to try him out.

Yeah I also dont have CP left anyway in most scenarios where Bloodletters are optional. Do have my BT to finish so will proxy Skarband too, can only suggest the same for Karanak.

On paper Skarband at least needs to be completely removed before becomming less relevant and the tactical implication of his attack buff bubble also means he does more cross faction for us :)

Aside from list discussion Id also love to hear what you guys might expect GW does if World Eaters would get their own Codex.

Do you guys think GW would be willing to create plastic Blood Slaughterers and/or plastic Brass Scorpion?

Might we even see a return of Blood Pact Cultists?

Will we see Rampager squads spoil over to 40K? (I do think they would make perfect elites)

Lastly, I havnt looked into the other Khorne Daemon Princes FW has, are more from IA now viable? Other as the Exalted Bloodthirster.

Cheers,

I don't have the codex just yet but I was wondering what everyone's opinion on a list with multiple Daemon Princes would do.

I was thinking something in the lines of the following:

Daemon Prince of Khorne x6 (No Wings)

Fill the rest of the army in with blood letters.

Not sure on the points, but would this be possible?

Really like the Khorne Daemon Prince from Forgeworld and was thinking six of these dudes running full tilt at the opponent with a swarm of blood letters would be a simple yet effective army.

6x 156 is 936 poinrs but I guess its possible. Thing is really that when you go this route the CP generation isnt that amazing but 4 should certainly still be possible.

On the other side of the spectrum you have 20 Bloodletters with Icon for 155, which seem better to me as a single Prince?

I just went for 2 because with Artefact Blade and Axe I think 156 points is a steal, but frankly think some Flyers are welcome to bypass even the best of common bubblewraps.

6x 156 is 936 poinrs but I guess its possible. Thing is really that when you go this route the CP generation isnt that amazing but 4 should certainly still be possible.

On the other side of the spectrum you have 20 Bloodletters with Icon for 155, which seem better to me as a single Prince?

I just went for 2 because with Artefact Blade and Axe I think 156 points is a steal, but frankly think some Flyers are welcome to bypass even the best of common bubblewraps.

Fair enough. I was thinking of just focusing on a hard hitting force of nasties. Though I suppose the list would have issues with flyers.

Fair enough. I was thinking of just focusing on a hard hitting force of nasties. Though I suppose the list would have issues with flyers.

Yeah I really have to look into it all. One of the prime reasons why my favour goes towards the Bloodletters is really the Banner of Blood. Because re-rolling charges is excellent but having 3D6" charges is better ;) 

One of the fun things in terms of Flyers, which indeed can still be an issue, still likely is Skarbrand. While we do not have a guaranteed lock of them in combat making Ld tests on 3d6 is not that easy to do. But other than that this is also why I still like the Berzerker Rhino back up, that should be capable to respond to units simply leaving combat.

But the idea of using 'a lot' of Daemon princes most certainly is not a bad plan, it's something we can seriously consider. There is a pro and con to having a larger occupied area and Bloodletters do have a larger occupied area compaired to single Daemon Princes or Skarbrand.

I came across this tutorial from an awesome blog from a dude who works at GW. Gotta try this paint scheme for my weapons, I :censored: love it. Seriously, been looking for a good glowing/bloody red for a very long time, and I think this is it:

https://leskouzes.blogspot.com/2016/06/tuto-blood-warriors.html

Final product (not my work):

TutoBloodWarrior%2B-%2B025.jpg

Awesome effect and great sword, do think it's important to highlight that this is a gloss vinish, which makes it stand out so much from the rest of the model and because of that gets this awesome effect we see. I like it a lot! Still am somewhat uncertain how to do my own Bloodletter swords, they are black now and the prime reason for that is that I had no better plan yet, but this can be altered for sure.

At the same time I'm also eager to experiment going for that heated/cooled down steel effect the Blades of Khorne book cover (also seen in the latest Codex Daemons) does with that effect and a gloss finish. Again those gloss finishes really can make stuff stand out like this, which can be a great effect to go for. 

It has been both fun and revealing reading through this thread and I thought I would give my take on KDK.This what I came with after testing,but I am really considering swapping the BT for 2 relic DPs.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Daemons) [44 PL, 861pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Chaos Allegiance: Khorne

+ HQ +

Bloodmaster [3 PL, 56pts]: Blade of Blood

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage [17 PL, 340pts]: Armour of Scorn, Great axe of Khorne, Oblivious to Pain, Warlord

+ Troops +

Bloodletters [8 PL, 155pts]: 19x Bloodletter, Bloodreaper, Daemonic Icon

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [37 PL, 619pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: World Eaters

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 72pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Khorne

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 76pts]: Bolt pistol, Mark of Khorne, Power maul

Exalted Champion [5 PL, 71pts]: Chainaxe, Chainsword, Mark of Khorne

+ Troops +

Khorne Berzerkers [9 PL, 147pts]
. Berzerker Champion: Chainsword, Power fist
. 7x Chainsword and Chainaxe: 7x Chainaxe

Khorne Berzerkers [5 PL, 85pts]
. Berzerker Champion: Chainaxe, Chainsword
. 4x Chainsword and Chainaxe: 4x Chainaxe

Khorne Berzerkers [5 PL, 96pts]

++ Air Wing Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [20 PL, 370pts] ++

+ Flyer +

Chaos Hell Blade [8 PL, 150pts]
. 2x helstorm cannons: 2x Helstorm cannon

Heldrake [10 PL, 185pts]: Baleflamer, Heldrake claws, Mark of Khorne

+ No Force Org Slot +

++ Total: [109 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

The overall strategy is to move maximum distance with helldrakes,deploy the bloodletter bombs near them,charge the drakes in first to protect the bloodletters and preserve the +1 to hit.After the bloodletters deal with whatever screen they encountered the berserkers come in hot from the rhinos and clean the house.Helblade is there because he is cheap and allowed to include the third detachment(airwing).I have mixed opinions on the Bloodthirster.On one hand ,if he gets in he completely murders whatever unit he charged into(the 2 different weapon profiles make him a beast against anything),on the other hand he is not surviving that long even with the relic and the warlord trait on him.The perfect scenario is when he deep strikes and makes the 9'' charge,but that is very hard to accomplish even with the locus of rage,but when it happens it is pretty devastating because the bloodletters also get to use his LD instead.
I am looking forward to any form of criticism !

The overall strategy is to move maximum distance with helldrakes,deploy the bloodletter bombs near them,charge the drakes in first to protect the bloodletters and preserve the +1 to hit.After the bloodletters deal with whatever screen they encountered the berserkers come in hot from the rhinos and clean the house.Helblade is there because he is cheap and allowed to include the third detachment(airwing).I have mixed opinions on the Bloodthirster.On one hand ,if he gets in he completely murders whatever unit he charged into(the 2 different weapon profiles make him a beast against anything),on the other hand he is not surviving that long even with the relic and the warlord trait on him.The perfect scenario is when he deep strikes and makes the 9'' charge,but that is very hard to accomplish even with the locus of rage,but when it happens it is pretty devastating because the bloodletters also get to use his LD instead.
I am looking forward to any form of criticism !

The list looks great in my eyes and the only point of critique I have on it is indeed because of the Bloodthirster inclusion. If you are somehow capable of upgrading him to Skarbrand I still like it but otherwise would very much drop it, the Bloodmaster and go for double Khorne Daemon Princes. The Skullreaver makes the Daemon Prince hit as hard as a Bloodthirster. Yet the DP has all the benifits of the character rule where the Bloodthirster has not. So by default because those Helldrakes are in this list too the Daemon Prince seems like the most optimal choice to me.

The additional advantage of double Daemon Princes is also:

1. Smaller base, means easier to deploy on table/harder to deny space for it to deploy in a relevant matter.

2. Double Princes vs one Bloodthirster mean you essentially have twice the chances of making that 9" charge.

3. As above, if the Prince isn't in combat it doesn't always mean it's a legal target to shoot it, the big advantage of staying under those 10 wounds.

But yeah other than the Bloodthirster I really like the list! I think the additional factor of adding Daemon Princes instead is that combined with a pocket of World Eater Berzerkers they should be capable of rolling up pretty much anything. 

Lastly I will admit I'm always biased to cheaper unit choices but this is also because I feel we lose less if we lose one Daemon Prince instead of having a Bloodthirster being finished once he killed one target. This scenario is so likely that I pretty much would run Skarbrand or no Bloodthirser in 40K. In AoS this is pretty much the other way around XD

Thanks for the suggestions!I did not think about the Heldrake giving the possibility of additional protection for the Daemon Princes.Do you think it is worth it to use the Helforged Sword relic weapon ?3 damage flat is almost as good as D6.+1 to S still makes a DP wound T8 targets on 3s when he charges.

Thanks for the suggestions!I did not think about the Heldrake giving the possibility of additional protection for the Daemon Princes.Do you think it is worth it to use the Helforged Sword relic weapon ?3 damage flat is almost as good as D6.+1 to S still makes a DP wound T8 targets on 3s when he charges.

Yes I feel giving 1 CP to obtain both A'grath and Skullreaver is worth the 1 CP. But the first choice is Skullreaver. Because again it allows a DP to hit like a BT.

One thing I feel people miss while making the comparison is that the Skullreaver also does mortal Wounds ;)

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Daemons) [40 PL, 797pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Chaos Allegiance: Khorne

Rewards of Chaos (2 Relics)

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Chaos [8 PL, 156pts]: Daemonic axe, Khorne, Rage Incarnate, Skullreaver, Warlord

Daemon Prince of Chaos [8 PL, 156pts]: A'rgath, the King of Blades, Hellforged sword, Khorne

+ Troops +

Bloodletters [8 PL, 165pts]: 19x Bloodletter, Bloodreaper, Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos

Bloodletters [8 PL, 165pts]: 19x Bloodletter, Bloodreaper, Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [37 PL, 648pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ Dedicated Transport +

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 76pts]: Bolt pistol, Mark of Khorne, Power maul

Exalted Champion [5 PL, 89pts]: Chainsword, Combi-melta, Mark of Khorne

+ Troops +

Khorne Berzerkers [9 PL, 147pts]

. 7x Chainsword and Chainaxe: 7x Chainaxe

++ Air Wing Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [30 PL, 555pts] ++

+ Flyer +

+ No Force Org Slot +

++ Total: [107 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

This is the updated roster.

10 CP, looks great to me! Heldrakes, Daemon Princes and Bloodletters for some very obnoxious first strikes followed by smaller pockets of Berzerkers should be able to do the trick.

Certainly gives me some food for thought also because the less points we are able to spend on stuff like Rhino's the more potent the lists continue to be. Cheap + efficient seems to be the name of the game right now (still). 

Cheers,

Archived