Kitbashing Rough Riders

It's funny, I was only considering this yesterday. My thoughts were as follows:

FW Death Riders - Complete minis that look awesome but cost the earth.

OOP Attila RR - Great nostalgia value, but hard to find and expensive as all get out.

Kitbashing:

Chaos Marauder Horses (eBay bits dealers) - remove the Chaos iconography and you've got animated (if slightly feral) horses:

99120201048_MarauderHorsemen01.jpg

Empire (ahem... "Freeguild") Pistolers: 

99120202019_PistoliersNEW01.jpg

Using either kit as a base could work.

Alternatively there's a LOTR/Hobbit range, although from memory, the scale is smaller:

99121464004_HaradrimRaidersNEW01.jpg

99121464007_EasterlingKataphraktsNEW01.j

Kit bashing with GW Cadian or better yet, the huge range of torsos/arms/heads available from Anvil Industries could make for some awesome Rough Riders.

Of course, GW wiped them from the AM Codex, so they're hanging on by the skin of their teeth to an Index entry and DKoK variant. 

Well Victoria's Miniatures has an antual upgrade set for you:  https://victoriaminiatures.com/collections/male-squads-1/products/10-man-rough-rider-conversion-kit-resin

All you'd need to do is buy some horses or whatever creatures you like (the cold ones are always cool) and some cadians or catachans to use for bodies/heads etc.

I used Ramshackle games dirt bikes which he calls the Scrambler with legs:  http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_product=46&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=20mm-biker-gang-11-models&controller=product

Then I used Scions bits to create Death Riders since they are more well armored.  Although the scale is such that a standard guard body looks better but the arms are probably going to be tricky to get long enough to reach the handlebars.

I also armed them with spears from Shapeways.  This guy Dynath has a TON of close combat options which fit the scale of guardsman and look very cool:  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/dynath?section=Melee+Weapons&s=0 

I too was only considering this a day ago!

I came to many of the same conclusions as Lord Ranulf, although a few things to comment:

- The two Fantasy units linked have very big horses - they'd take a Space Marine in size!

- The unit doesn't have to be mounted on horses - it can be bikes, lizards, or whatever else you fancy. Lots of stuff in the AoS ranges too, so have a look and see if there's anything that will work for you. Likewise, you can get various Wargs from the Hobbit/LotR range. There are also wolves in the Space Wolf range that you might find useful.

- Don't just limit yourself to GW models. Fireforge, Perry Miniatures, and others all do nice-looking plastic cavalry; albeit they are a smaller scale more in line with LotR and the Hobbit. Perry Miniatures even sell individual sprues.

- As Colonel Cross says, there are also resin conversion kits and cavalry/bike options available from various companies.

- You can always splash out and get the old Rough Riders from eBay or such. The old Rouge Trader models are nice enough, but extremely hard to come by nowadays (nevermind price). The replacements were the Attila Rough Riders in 2E, and there were also Tallarn Rough Riders too (these were official GW conversions of the Attilans). Finally, FW have made Tallarn and Death Korps models too, although only DK are currently available from their store.

Personally, I think a lot will depend on what you want them to look like, and what you want them mounted on. In any case, I agree that Rough Riders are probably on borrowed time rules-wise.

I use Dark Elf Dark Riders. I think they are the most perfect model to substitute since they have spears, and enough masked head swaps for the full unit. I trimmed their holstered crossbows so that they look like large laspistols.

Edited by bozo69pd

...and the award goes to Kage and Inso

Badger-riding-Squats should be a thing. A legal, codex-verified, much lauded thing. :thumbsup:

After looking at the links provided by Reviler and Major Gilbear (good pickups guys) I'd consider the following:

Legs, arms and lances from MadRobot - Steve is a good guy to deal with and I like his sculpts, horse are too expensive for my liking though.

Heads and torsos from Anvil Industries - Everything I have bought from them has been top-notch.

Horses from Perry Miniatures - https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_63&products_id=3297 - Value for money, three horses for three pounds fifty! :eek:

In terms of size comparison, the following shows (left to right) Perry Miniature plastics, GW 4th Ed, GW 7th Ed:

http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/PM_FHCScale1.jpg

http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/PM_FHCScale2.jpg

The Perry Miniatures are slightly slimmer than the GW 4th Ed, but I think they're close enough. 

So to break down the costs for a squad of ten Rough Riders, something that is always a worry when kitbashing 3rd party bits:

Mad Robot Rider Lance Arms (Imperial) x2 (10 pairs in total) = $10 (USD)

Mad Robot Rider Legs (Imperial) x2 (10 in total) = $16 (USD)

Mad Robot Rider Hunting Lances x 2 (10 in total) = $12 (USD)

Perry Miniatures British Light Calvary Horses x 4 (12 in total) = £14.00 (GBP)

Anvil Industry Torsos (Cuirass or Hussar) x 2 (12 in total) = £7.00 (GBP)

Anvil Industry Heads (PickelHaube or Calvary) x 2 (14 in total) = £6.00 (GBP)

Total price (approx exchange rates) $76 (USD) or £55 (GBP)

Not cheap, not overly expensive. Compared to Forgeworld's DKoK Death Riders at 10 for $192 (USD) or the Mad Robot complete Rider Squad at 10 for $130 (USD) it's probably not a bad deal....

...if it all fits together. :wink:

Not cheap, not overly expensive. Compared to Forgeworld's DKoK Death Riders at 10 for $192 (USD) or the Mad Robot complete Rider Squad at 10 for $130 (USD) it's probably not a bad deal....

Can we nominate you to do the test and find out? :rolleyes::teehee::sweat:

Can we nominate you to do the test and find out? :rolleyes::teehee::sweat:

:laugh.: I'm bloody tempted to start adding things to carts Gilbear!

Conversion fun aside, do I really want Napoleanic-styled Rough Riders? :ohmy.:

Always enjoy a chance to show mine off, not everyones cup of tea but I love 'em.

Riders2

Riders1

Just Guard parts (Praetorian heads of course), Sister of the Thorn mounts and some Skitarii weapon I forget the name of. A Tazer Goad or similar?

Need to take a new picture now I have 10 made up, properly assembled and undercoated...
Edited by NatBrannigan

After seeing the upgrade kit fro Victoria, I thought of a great way I could do the "Death Riders" for my "Krieg". I put those in quotes, because I only use Krieg rules to represent my Cadian regiment (Post Fall, and very angry). I imagine that cadians would resort to horse cavalry if their armored forces were depleted enough.

Anyway, The Victoria set for the arms and legs, and then add Cadian Hazardous environment bodies. Use a bit of green stuff to sculpt the shoulder pads, and voila, Death Riders. 

I know there are other forum threads about this but I have found that the main obstacle for me in doing rough riders or Death riders is finding a cost effective mount for them.

Eight posts up Hawkeye. ---^ :wink:

Perry Miniatures was the cheapest horse option I could find. 

I guess we'll find out it they fit scale wise when I get them in the mail. :wink:

I know there are other forum threads about this but I have found that the main obstacle for me in doing rough riders or Death riders is finding a cost effective mount for them.

Eight posts up Hawkeye. ---^ :wink:

Perry Miniatures was the cheapest horse option I could find.

I guess we'll find out it they fit scale wise when I get them in the mail. :wink:

I actually saw that after I posted hehe.

Please send pictures when they arrive. If the scale works, there will be some victoria miniatures rough rider purchases in my future with perry horses.